Chapter Thirteen: One Step at a Time

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

Mel: Gerald, thank you for lunch. You didn’t have to pay.

 

Matt: Oh yes he did Mel. 

 

Mel:  What did you do Gerald?

 

Gerald:  What do you mean ‘What did I do’?  I just bought lunch for my best friend and his best wife, I mean, girl.

 

Matt is glaring at Gerald while Gerald smiles back.

 

Mel:  Wife!  You’re too funny! (thought-I hope I end up Matt’s wife.) *sigh*

 

Matt: What’s so funny about being my wife? 

 

Mel: There’s nothing funny about being your wife.  (pats Matt on the cheek)

 

Matt: Humph!

 

Mel:  My baby is having a little tantrum.  Can I give you a kiss to make you feel better?

 

Matt:  (sticks his lips out for a kiss)

 

Mel: (pulls his face close to hers and kisses his… forehead)

 

Matt: That is not a kiss Mel.

 

Mel:  That is the only kiss you will get right now.  Now back to studying.

 

Gerald:  I’m going to leave you two lovebirds alone while I go look for a book I need to read for class.  (walks away chuckling to himself)

 

Awhile later, Kim walks up to where Mel and Matt are sitting.

 

Kim: Hi guys!

 

Mel: Pinsan! (gets up and gives Kim a hug)

 

Matt: Hi Kim! What are you up to?

 

Kim: Nothing. Just came to get a book I needed for class, but if you don’t mind, can I join you guys?

 

Matt: Definitely. 

 

Kim: Is someone else sitting with you guys?  Whose stuff is this? (thought – this stuff looks likes Gerald’s.)

 

Mel: It’s Gerald’s.  He went looking for a book.  I’m actually surprised you guys are not together today. 

 

Kim: (under her breath) So am I.  (thought – I thought he would at least call this morning. Oh well. )

 

Matt: (puts his hand over Kim’s) He didn’t know if he should call.

 

Kim: (looks up at Matt and sees Gerald right behind him) oh.   Ummm… hi Gerald.

 

Gerald:  (looking at Kim) Hi Kim.  How are you?

 

Kim: Fine.  How are you?

 

Matt and Mel are watching all this happen as if they were at a tennis match.  Matt grabs Mel’s hand and pulls her to stand up.

 

Mel: Matt, what are we doing?

 

Matt: You are going to help me find a book and while we are at it, let’s go find a private corner. (wiggles his eyebrows)

 

Mel: Sira! (giggling)

 

Gerald:  You guys don’t have to leave. 

 

Matt: We won’t be gone too long.  Just watch our stuff.

 

Kim: Just stay.

 

Mel: Kim, are you okay? Gerald, did you do something to my cousin?

 

Kim: I’m fine.  Gerald did not do anything to me.

 

Matt: Come on Mel.

 

Mel: Okay.  (mouths to Kim – are you okay?)Kim nods her head.

 

Matt and Mel leave.

 

Gerald:  I can leave, if you want me too.

 

Kim:  You don’t have to leave unless you want to.  (stops and puts her hands on her waist) You’re going to leave me alone with all this stuff?!

 

Gerald: (smiles) Okay, I’ll stay but only if you want me to. (thought – God, please let everything be okay between us.)

 

Kim: So what have you been up to today?

 

Gerald:  I was just at home until about lunch time.  I went out to lunch with Matt and Mel and then we headed over here to study. What about you?

 

Kim: I’ve just been at home, cleaning, hanging out with Tanya.  She left earlier with Jon.

 

(awkward silence)

 

Gerald: Kim?  …  I wanted to call you but I didn’t know if you wanted to speak to me. I missed you.

 

Kim: Gerald… I know last night was hard.  I’ll be honest. It was hard to hear.  I don’t know how to feel but … (softly) I missed you too.

 

Gerald reaches across the table and holds her hand.

 

Gerald:  I was worried you know?

 

Kim: I was worried too. 

 

Gerald: ??

 

Kim: I didn’t know what to do. What to say to you.  Or even if I should talk you. 

 

Gerald: I understand. I didn’t call you for the same reasons.  I didn’t know if you wanted to talk to me.

 

Kim: Gerald, one step at a time. (smiles at him)

 

Gerald: One step at a time.  (smiles back at Kim, her hand with his thumb) One step at a time.