A Lie Has Short Legs

Think Outside The Dome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Lie Has Short Legs

“What do you want with us?” D.O. asked surprisingly calmly as he, Baekhyun and Kai all sat against the towering shelves in the dingy store. The lights were low yet seemed to perfectly accentuate the cobwebs hanging lightly from the low ceiling, Kai tried not to look up as he imagined all of the spiders in the room. Baekhyun was taking this especially badly; this was all his idea, he put everyone in this situation. In addition, Jungkook didn’t really seem into him… what was that about?

Jungkook sneered, rolling his eyes a little as he manned the door, “What do you want with us!” he was pacing at this point. “You came to us!” The young boy seemed just as confused as those he was holding hostage. D.O. didn’t buy the act, though, there was no way Jungkook was as innocent as he portrayed.

Baekhyun decided, as the oldest there, he would have to speak. Plus Kai and D.O. were never very nice to speak to even if you hadn’t been the one to kidnap them, and Baekhyun thought hostility might not work too well in their favour.
He was clever… for someone who was so dumb.
“We wanted supplies! You are holding us!” Baekhyun was losing his cool as the front door creaked open gradually and a boy they recognised as Jimin was once again in sight.
“Are we keeping them here?” Jungkook questioned as Jimin ushered the rest of the group into the shed-like shop. Baekhyun felt his heart sink as his family were into the situation dragging their feet with reluctance. At the back of the line, an unknown man was seen pushing Kris a little causing him to sneer and shake the controlling hand off his high shoulder. Everyone in the room proceeded to take a seat on the dusty floor along one of the thin aisle. For once, Suho looked angry rather than angst.
“They were just loitering outside, this was the easiest option.” The largest man proclaimed as he forced Kris to sit among the rest, on the gross floor boards. Baekhyun thought Jungkook had the worse store in the whole of west Korea.
“You’re not keeping us anywhere!” Suho suddenly told as he attempted to stand, he wondered why his often outspoken family were suddenly so quiet and supposed he was going to have to do this on his own, save them, that is. That was always the case anyway; he was their angel. The short Korean sometimes pondered what on earth could have happened to his angel. He used to think it was Lay, now he wasn’t so sure.

The nameless man rolled his wide, black eyes, “You aren’t going anywhere until we know your deal, what do you want!” He had a deep assertive voice and a large frame. Like Suho’s own, his hair was an ashy platinum blonde yet had seemed to be treated to regular touch ups and thus wasn’t growing out, exposing the black beneath.
“We just wanted to buy some supplies!” Suho half lied as Jimin sat him back down and the former sadly obliged. He knew they were essentially in the wrong; they were going to steel yet couldn’t bae this detention.
“Sure thing honey, why don’t you just shut your pretty little mouth now?” The big man that Suho swore he heard the other men referring to as ‘Rap Monster’ told and, for once, Suho’s waste of space man felt rage take over his better sense.
“Don’t talk to him like that!” Lay demanded manically as he seethed and got up, dragging Suho back to his feet “We’re leaving.” He told, disregarding the weapons and locked door that had compelled them to stay up until this point.
“Sit down, .” Rap Monster told as Lay stared him directly in the eyes. Yes, it was true Lay was a skinny boy but he wasn’t going to stand for such names. “We know you’re lying, no one just leaves their camps.”

Lay might have been willing to let the insult go as to follow up an inquiry instead. “What are you talking about? It’s not a prison, sure you can!”
Jungkook spluttered some incredulous laughter, “no offence, but I don’t think you know what you’re talking about.”

Everyone in the room was confused, Jongin knew for a fact it was okay to leave the camp as long as you got back before curfew, and even then no one gave a if you weren’t actually back. They were not prisoners yet kept in the village-like camps for their own safety. Moving in day light hours was fine.
“Camp 64” Kai suddenly spoke up, “lived there my whole life, have always been able to leave.”
Jimin scoffed, “you look like a 12-year-old.”
kai tried to protest yet someone got in the way, “He is right Kai.” Luhan adeptly began to converse and not in the favour of his group, by the sounds of it. “You don’t remember the new reforms in 3008, before then, no one could leave.”

All of a sudden anarchy arose with the realisation that everyone was on different pages concerning the laws of the land. No one knew right from wrong yet could add something valuable to the situation. Sehun, however, could not. The maknae was the only one to stay quiet with even Tao splurging bull he had new clue about. Sehun sighed as he realised he was learning new things every day and thought back to a simpler life, a simpler life under the security of the curved sky and electric green grass.

“That’s it.” Rap Monster – or Namjoon hyung; the boys had heard both being used – silenced, “who is your leader? Let’s talk civilly!”
“Uh…” Suho was the head of the family… that was his job but why did he suddenly feel to adverse to the role? The short Korean looked to his boyfriend; in an ideal situation, Lay would be his second, in reality, that wasn’t true.
“Yifannie hyung?” Suho tried to subtly aegyo his burdensome power away.

Before ‘Yifannie hyung’ could answer speculation ran rife once more.
“Yifannie?” Jimin questioned in a surprisingly serious tone as he looked to his elder “As in Yifan?”

Kris rolled his eyes “Wu Yifan-” He stated assuming this meant he had taken over the role and couldn’t be bothered to fight the imposing power, he came forward and extended his arm “- I appear to be the lea-“
“As in Prince Wu Yifan of China and Kris Wu of Canada?”
Kris didn’t care that he was interrupted and turned to give the rest the ‘see, people know me’ look with a smug grin on his face. However, when he turned back the people of the opposing side were less than happy.
“.” Rap Monster monotonously stated yet, somehow, he was still smiling.

“So sorry about that Mr Prince Wu sir.” A cute little boy continuously apologised, he had a sweet smile and looked suspiciously like Baekhyun. Baek’s mother was a so a half-sibling might not be out of the question and this fact was actually quite unnerving.
“It’s okay Taehyung.” Kris told as the latter led him, Suho and Lay over to their accommodation, “Thank you for letting us stay the night.”
“Oh, its’ all~ our pleasure sir, but are you sure you wouldn’t rather be roomed with Prince Wu Zitao?” Taehyung asked as they passed through the centre of the camp, it looked much worse than their own; all the buildings were one story, container-like structures. Not at all like the remanences of old buildings in their own, high rise, camp. There were no paths or roads and the structure was more like a car park than a town. Suho finally thought he understood why they were all called ‘camps’ and knew his own home must have been an astonishing exception. Maybe regretted was setting in now more than ever.
“Aha, no Taozi’s family name is Huang, not Wu… we… we aren’t really related… much… I don’t think.” Kris awkwardly corrected the boy who was acting suspiciously like his new servant.
“Omg please forgive me Mr Prince Wu Yifan of China sir! I shan’t be so careless in the future.” The boy begged as if talking to a tyrant thus gave Kris an uneasy feeling. Maybe the authority ran through Kris’s veins, maybe he secreted power, maybe he was destined.
Suho and Lay walked behind and scowled as the scene played out before them; they knew Kris and Tao would be smug about his for a long time coming.

“You have such a great complexion Baekhyun hyung!”
“Omg, Thank you Hoseok-ah! I was worried being out in the sun for so long had given me a tan!”
“Oh no, you look as clear as porcelain.”

A few streets away Baekhyun, Chanyeol and D.O. were being escorted by a very hyper and very flirty man appropriately named J-hope. Chanyeol scowled as Baekhyun was easily enticed by his happy-clappy attitude and annoying compliments.
“I hat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter