ATO Ten

Across the Ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Lucky J, I'm going soon."

 

"Again, the girl who took on a car gets out before me, indestructible you are."

 

"You'll be out soon, Stephanie said so"

 

"Yeah, yeah Stephanie says a lot of things"

 

"Thank you for... being friendly"

 

"Tae man, I like you, let's chill when I'm out too. Here punch your number in"

 

Lucky J handed Taeyeon his phone with his good hand. She carefully added her brand new phone number and called it to make sure, once she heard the muffles of a jingle she hung up and returned his device. J held his hand up waiting for Taeyeon, for a moment Taeyeon was unsure, flashes of a reoccurring nightmare played in her mind and she was left gasping silently. 

 

"You alright?"

 

"Yeah..."

 

Taeyeon looked at Lucky J seeking reassurance, this was her friend. Not the man she saw in her dreams, she knew this man before her. This was the person who kept her company when visitation hours were over, when nurses came in and she couldn't understand what was happening. He was the same one who informed Dr Choi about the problems she had with male nurses, even though he didn't know why and for a fact she didn't either.

 

Now here Lucky J was, his hand held out waiting for Taeyeon, she could see how awkward he was beginning to feel, being rejected from the friendly gesture. Before Lucky J had completely withdrawn his hand Taeyeon grabbed it and went further surprising herself and Lucky J with a somewhat awkward hug. Something she still struggled to do with her own father.

 

"Taeyeon, are you ready to go?"

 

Taeyeon let go of Lucky J, he smiled to her and waved but Taeyeon had mistaken the gesture for a high-five and clapped her hand to his. That began a fit of giggles between them. 

 

"I am ready to go."

 

The walls were a warm beige colour, the windows were white around the edges with taupe curtins hanging above and there was a small flat screen television hanging off the ceiling. She never really turned it on much but it helped to get her mind off things at times when Lucky J was asleep and Sunny was away. Taeyeon was strangely attached to the room, so many things happened here.

 

Stephanie stood beside a heavy dark beige door with a navy blue wheelchair, how many times did she have to say no for Stephanie to stop trying to wheel her around. She could walk almost perfectly fine, she only fell over once and it wasn't even her fault. She admitted to being clumsy for not seeing the empty wheelchair foot rest but my goodness there was a commotion over it, they took her for even more scans after the incident and Taeyeon had learnt her lesson. She was going to miss this room, it's strange to feel so warm in such a clinical place. 

 

 

"I can walk, look at me"

 

Taeyeon paced the room like a model on a runway, more or less dorky than a real model would of course.

 

"Look at her go!"

 

"Okay fine, Ms Lee is still finishing up some paper work, do you want to meet up with her at administration?"

 

"Only if you take me there"

 

"Of course, follow me Ms Kim" 

 

Cheeky. Stephanie was cheeky today but Taeyeon let it slide. She disliked being addressed formally but in Korea she learnt things were very different and formality was a big thing here. Stephanie could call her 'Ms Kim' all she liked today because she probably won't be seeing her again for a long. At that thought Taeyeon was sad, she had become such good friends with the nurse. Maybe she could ask for her number to keep in touch, that wouldn't be too much right?

 

As Taeyeon followed the nurse with wavy red hair, she noticed something familiar in her face and the way she smiled. She hadn't really taken a good look at Stephanie before, most of the time she was in and out, always busy. There were many times when Taeyeon would hold her hand when the tests invovled needles, she almost knew Stephanie's hands as well as hers but her face, so pale and full of light, almost glowing. Her eyes soft and puppy like although tired with an elegant small nose and full dark pink lips. 

 

 

"Stephanie can I get your number?"

 

"Ms Kim, we've been over this. Remember I explained the policy between patient and nurse?"

 

"Yeah but don't you want to be friends?"

 

"Of course, Ms Kim just wait until Mrs Kim signs you out"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter