One

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(yes i edited the title of the previous chapter)

 

“You got to be kidding right?” Gary asked cautiously. He tried to remain calm, but his heart was thumping against his ribcage so hard he thought it was going to explode.

“I’m so sorry, Mr Kang,” the doctor could only say apologetically.

Gary remained stunned in silence for a moment, before murmuring to himself, “How can this be….”

Then he suddenly stood up, and swept everything on the doctor’s table to the floor in a rage.

“HOW CAN THIS BE?” he yelled. Then, his yells turned to pleas. “Please check it again. It must be something else, right? It can’t be. It can’t be. I am only 26!”

The doctor remained silent, willing for Gary to calm down. He wanted to explain that even young people could be susceptible to tumours. All it takes was a simple error made by the cell. But he knew it wouldn’t be comforting enough for him.

Gary dashed out of the room. His eyes were filled with hot, angry tears, despite telling himself not to cry. What ‘everything happens for a reason’, what ‘there is always a silver lining’? THEY WERE ALL BULL. What was the point of being so optimistic for all his life, only to be told that he only had 30 days? Heck, it wasn’t even enough to… to…. HECK what good is 30 days?! He might as well commit suicide now.

In anger, he kicked the trashcan beside him. He yelled at everyone who passed by him. He was so hysteric, until they had to call in the security.

“Sir, if you keep this up, we’d have to call the police,” the guard told him sternly, trying to hold him back.

“DO WHAT YOU WANT,” Gary yelled, grabbing the guard by the collar. “I only have 30 days left to live, can you believe it? 30 days…” he cried. “What can I do in 30 days…” And then he broke down. The other passers-by watched in sympathy, but could offer little to help. The guard’s partner pulled him aside, shaking his head.

“He’s pitiful enough,” the older guard whispered to the younger guard. “You haven’t been here for long, I have seen many cases like this. People who couldn’t take their diagnosis.”

The older guard helped Gary up.

“Do you need me to call your family? Or call for a cab?” he asked gently, putting his arm on Gary’s shoulder.

Family… how was he going to tell his parents… his brother? His friends?

He shook his head, and stumbled away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jihyo walked out of the doctor’s room. Her tears had stopped, but her mind was still whirling with whatever the doctor told her. Her slender fingers grazed along the walls of the hospital as she walked aimlessly.

Then, she heard some yelling from the other side of the room. She had no interest to look, until she heard the man yell, “I only have 30 days to live.”

She looked towards the direction, and saw the man getting into an argument with the security guards. There was a flicker of recognition in her eyes as a vague memory flashed through her mind.

It was the coffee guy. The guy who bumped into her this very morning. Now, it felt so long ago.

So he was also diagnosed with some terminal illness? She sighed. What a horrid fate they share.

 

 

All the logic in her mind tol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter