Twenty-two

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary and Jihyo were back home. It took a lot of persuasion for him to get discharged, but they did it anyway. Jihyo laid beside him, worn out from the tiring day rushing all over in preparation for their wedding. Gary lay wide awake in bed, relishing the best day of his life. He turned to look at the sleeping Jihyo and a surge of emotions overcame him- so much love that it hurts. How could he bear to leave this beautiful angel? This kindest, bravest, purest soul he’s met in the short years of his life. He propped himself up on his shoulder, carefully observing her. He reached out to caress her cheeks, notably sunken compared to the first day they met. Tears started to fall. He blinked them away.

He walked out to the garden, where he and Jihyo planted the delphiniums and the young plant. The sky was clear that night, and stars were shining all over. It was slightly chilly, even though it was in the middle of summer, but it was still bearable for him. The tree was growing strong and healthy, but expectedly, the delphiniums has not even sprouted. Gary bend over, crouching over the delphinium seeds.

“Even though it is hard, I hope you grow well,” he sighed softly. Above him, the stars twinkled, just like how the tears were twinkling in his eyes. He let them fall this time.

 

 

When Jihyo woke up the next morning, Gary was already up, preparing breakfast.

“Oppa,” she whispered. Gary turned to face her and smiled.

“Yeobo,” he corrected. “We’re married now,” he said.

Jihyo nodded. “Yeobo,” she said. Gary smiled even wider, enjoying the way the word rolled off her lips.

“Breakfast is almost ready,” he said. “Go and wash up first, and it will be done.”

 

 

After breakfast, they lazed about the house, looking at the photos they took yesterday. “It’s beautiful,” Jihyo said softly, amazed at how legitimate their last-minute wedding looked. “It doesn’t feel like it was held at a hospital.”

Gary nodded. “We have a lot of people to thank,” he mused. But there’s no way we can repay them now.

“How you ever wondered,” Jihyo asked suddenly, “how many people will thank us and we wouldn’t even know?”

Gary didn’t reply, so Jihyo continued. “You know, maybe we let a person cut our queue and because of it, he managed to rush for something important, or we donated money to a person who needed it to save his loved one’s life, or maybe our smile or kind words stopped a person from committing a terrible mistake?”

She paused. “And all those people who blamed us too. Maybe we yelled at them because we’re frustrated, or took their cab, or we took their parking lot and caused them to be late. And in the end we’ll never know. We think often think of our actions as a single entit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter