Four

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gary arrived early in the morning to pick Jihyo up. She was barely awake as she opened the door. Gary kissed her forehead, and she put her arms around his waist. It came naturally now, like they’d been a couple for years.

“It’s still so early,” she whined a little, but as she said it, she knew they don’t have much time left.  She was still tired, and she didn’t know if it was due to a lack of sleep, or her body condition was worsening. She felt a wave of panic hit her, and pulled Gary closer to her. Gary didn’t comment, but pulled her gently to the dining table for her breakfast. It was similar to the one they had yesterday. She scrunched up her nose, but didn’t complain.

“Do you have sleeping bags?” he asked her. She shook her head.

“Then we can go and get them later,” he said. He had one himself; when he was younger, he went camping often. It had been long since he went though, and he missed it.

It was only 8 when they finished their breakfast, and they knew the malls wouldn’t be opened yet. Gary watched as Jihyo packed up for their one-day trip. She didn’t want to bring a lot of things; there wasn’t much to bring either. Just some snacks and a change of clothes, and several bottles of water.

They left the house a quarter to nine, and arrived at the camping shop slightly past nine.

Their fingers interlocked as they browsed the shop, like they were a newly-wed couple shopping for furniture. Gary’s large, rough palms against her smooth, small hands. They felt like they were meant for each other.

After wandering for some time, Gary finally found an ideal sleeping bag for Jihyo, but Jihyo had her eyes set on a portable tent.

Following her gaze, Gary noticed the tent. He gently tugged her hands and shook his head. “It’s too heavy,” he said.

“But… what if it rains?” she asked.

Gary hesitated for a moment. He knew she disliked the weather for its unpredictability.  He knew she always liked to be prepared. This was only their fourth day together, but he could read her like a book already. Is that how soulmates were like?

He wanted to agree for her, but he knew his body wouldn’t be able to carry so much load. Besides, he wanted to show her the thrill in unpredictability, the fun in surprises.

“It wouldn’t,” he sai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter