Six

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They sat on the swing in Jihyo’s backyard, looking up at the sky.

“There aren’t as many stars here,” Jihyo commented, thinking back about their night on the mountain.

Gary smiled. “It’s okay… there is still the brightest star.” He paused. “You.”

Jihyo chuckled, shaking her head. She could get used to this. She could listen to his sweet nothings for years, until they grow old and wrinkly, and still not get sick of it. That is if…. She shook her head.

She started to cough. Maybe it’s the cold air.

“Let’s go inside,” he nudged her anxiously, standing up first to offer his hand. She looked reluctant, but agreed anyway.

Inside, Gary made her a cup of hot drink.

“You feeling better?” he asked.

She nodded, although her insides were churning.

“Maybe you’re tired,” he told her, both knowing that it wasn’t the real reason, but hoping that it was.

She nodded again. He helped her to her room, and laid her down on the bed. He tried not to show his worry, but it was written all over his face.

“Goodnight,” he said, kissing her cheek.

“Goodnight,” she whispered back.

 

 

 

Gary woke up earlier that Jihyo to prepare breakfast for her. She woke up soon later.

“Are you feeling better?” he asked. She nodded, smiling. Gary could tell from her smile that it was genuine relief.  She had been as worried as he had. He smiled as well.

“What shall we do today?” she asked.

“Shall we go for a massage?” he said, trying to suggest something less strenuous.

“Ey, I could do that for you too,” she blurted out before thinking. He leaned in closer to her, and asked, “Really?”

She pushed him away gently. “Let’s go to the theme park,” she suggested.

“But…” Gary started to protest. Jihyo sighed, and didn’t bother to argue. She knew he was worried, and she was too.

He saw the dejected look in her face. “Alright, let’s go to the theme park,” he relented again.

She lighted up a little. “Really?

He smiled.

 

They drove to the nearest theme park, but as luck would have it, it started to rain. The huge raindrops splattered loudly against the car. Gary drove to a resting area and parked his car there.

“Urgh, the rain again,” Jihyo complained, slumping back into her seat.

Gary stayed silent, himself as disappointed as her. But his optimism soon returned.

“We met because of the rain,” he said wistfully.

She smiled a little as she recalled the memory. It was still a painful

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter