Five

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They laid under the night sky, watching the twinkling stars as they talked. They were both tired, but neither of them wanted to go to sleep first. They didn’t want this precious moment to end.

It was probably past midnight by the time Jihyo fell asleep. Gary leaned over to kiss her forehead. Even under the moonlight, her beauty still shines.

“Maybe God wants you to join his angels, that’s why you have to die so young,” he whispers softly.

 

 

 

The next morning, they woke up slightly past 6. By then, the sun had already risen quite a far bit. They had planned to catch the sunrise, but they were really too tired for it.

“We’re too late,” Jihyo acknowledged sadly. She was never too late for anything before.

Gary simply shrugged. “It’s okay, we caught the sunset yesterday,” he comforted her.

She pouted a little, but didn’t comment any further. They had their breakfast quickly, and made their way down. It took longer than they took to climb up. Perhaps because they were both tired already. Still, their hands interlocked tightly as Gary led the way down.

 

They stopped frequently for breaks, as they did on their way up. On one of the breaks, Gary claimed that he needed a toilet break and escaped into the bushes. Jihyo rested on the benches under a pavilion.

 

All of a sudden, she heard popping sounds behind her. She instinctively turned to look.

It was Gary, setting some mini-fireworks off. He was waving the stick in the air. She laughed. “What are you doing!” she asked as she walked towards him.

“Happy 100th hour anniversary,” he told her, gleaming.

He handed her a neatly wrapped present, along with a letter.

“Read it when you’re home, will you?” he said shyly. She nodded, with a tinge of blush in her face too. But as much as she was touched, this act of Gary’s tugged at her heart. Couples out there had 100th days celebrations, but there they were, competing against time.

She bit her lips and forced back her tears.

“Thank you,” she whispered, and kissed him on his cheeks.

 

They reached the foot of the mountain by late afternoon. Gary sent Jihyo home, and prepared to leave.

“Stay,” she told him, holding him back. There was fear in her voice, as they both knew time was not on their side. Every hour was precious, and she wants to stay as close to him for as long as she could.

Gary smiled and turned to face her. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter