Zero

30 Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo had never been a fan of the weather- it was too unpredictable for her. There was never a 100% chance. It was always ‘it is likely that it will rain today’, ‘there is a high chance of snow today’… and she disliked it.

That was why she was always prepared. Even when the forecasts predicts that it would be a sunny day, she would still keep her laundry. She would still bring an umbrella, a raincoat and a windbreaker.

That was why when a drenched guy bumped into her, she looked over in disapproval.

She was walking to her family doctor for her annual health check-up. And she was right on time. She was never late- not in her memory. But then the guy bumped into her, and splashed her coffee on her dress.

Now, maybe disapproval was an understatement. She was annoyed.

The man bowed deeply and apologised. “I’m sorry! I’m running late for my appointment,” he said, and hastily scribbled down a number on a post-it. He stuffed in into her hands, along with a 50 dollar bill. “If it’s not enough, please contact me again!”

And dashed off before she could reply.

And she stood there, stunned.

She laid out the options in her mind- either she could wash herself up, and turn up late for her appointment, or go there as it is and make a shame of herself.

She chose the latter. If she was late, she would have to reschedule her appointment. And no, she didn’t have time for that. She took off her sweater and tied it around her waist, barely covering up the patch of coffee. But it would do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She blinked a few times when the doctor told her the news grimly.

“You have a brain tumour.”

She was familiar enough with the doctor to trust that she wouldn’t prank her on this.

“Benign or malignant?”

“Malignant. It is the last stage.”

hung agape as she tried to process what she just heard.

“I know this can be hard to accept… and I’m really sorry about this… I know we should have detected this earlier, given that you come for check-ups regularly. But you know the thing with technologies…” the doctor began. But Jihyo cut her off.

“What are my options?” she asked calmly.

The doctor blinked this time. She knew Jihyo well enough. She knew Jihyo was a person who was analy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter