Fate

Axiom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fate

"That's life -whichever way you turn, fate sticks out its foot to trip you"

A loud thud made Yejin startle and immediately looked up to see newly placed a pile of documents on top of her desk when she hadn’t even finished that was given yesterday. Mr. Choi himself, titled his head and grinned apologetically at her, and Yejin couldn’t do anything but sigh.

“It’s been hard, isn’t it?” He gave him his best simpatico look, but she knew better he don't even feel the same way he was showing right now.

Yejin gave him a force smile while grabbing all of the documents on top of her desk and moved it to the pile of unfinished works on her left side.

“That’s okay. I get paid more.” She said as the matter of fact.

Mr. Choi leaned his side towards her desk, sighing and shaking his head in dramatic way. Yejin rolled her eyes. She knew what was coming next, all of his drama and another long minute to be patient while listening to his –bulls –nags.

“It’s fortunate for us, Yejin, seriously. If only you cannot do the financial report for the past weeks, I was sure that this company would be down by now.” He sighed, dramatically. “How could you be all so perfect in one piece?”

“Sir...” She was too uncomfortable at the compliment he was giving, but she still forced herself to smile. Well, he was her boss after all.

However, Mr. Choi, being delusional still continues his long speech. Now he was leaning towards her, making Yejin had to lean back slowly so she couldn’t feel his breath on her skin.

“Did you really have no idea what happened to Oh Se Hun?”

Yejin stopped her attempt to lean back even more at the mention of that name. It had been 3 weeks she never heard anything about him. The company was a mess after two days of his absence and Yejin had to volunteer her to do his job desk, literally saving all of the employees from the wrath of Mr. Choi.

“I am afraid, I didn’t, Mr. Choi. I still don’t.” She mumbled, loud enough for him to hear.

Mr. Choi studied her face, shamelessly as he rubbed his new shaved chin. “I thought you were close with him.” He paused for a moment. “But I guess you don’t.”

She gave him a tight smile. Why did everyone think that I am close to him? How many times I heard this one? First Myungsoo, now this weird Boss over here.

“Well, I was about to inform you that Sehun is now hospitalized at Seoul Hospital.”

At once, she stopped whatever she was doing. Her eyes was no longer on her laptop screen, neither her fingers on the keyboard. Her lips parted open. Slowly, she averted her attention back to Mr. Choi who was still in his deep thought, clearly not knowing what kind of effect that he just made with his words earlier.

“No wonder he was absent for 3 weeks long. He had an accident. I heard someone crashed his motorcycle and he was thrown away, hitting his head on the asphalt in the process.” He shuddered, hugging himself, probably imagining stuff on his head of how the accident that happened to Sehun might be. “I can’t understand why someone like him chose to ride that dangerous thing instead of a car? For God sakes! He could afford few sport cars at once more than I did!”

He is still alive?!

She couldn’t even concentrate to continues of Mr. Choi blabbing, commenting how fortunate Sehun life was despite his current condition right now. Her eyes grew weary but mostly, she was afraid.

What if he saw that Myungsoo was the culprit? Who saved him? Did Myungsoo tell me that every goon that he brought that night was taken down? Did someone managed to save him? How...how could he was still alive if the motorcycle hit him pretty hard, like Myungsoo said? He couldn’t have mistaken! Did Myungsoo know about this?!

“...Yejin...”

“...Bae Ye Jin...”

Three loud knocks on her wooden table finally made her snapped out from her thought. “Huh?” She looked blankly, blinking her eyes few times as she finally got back to the reality.

“Did you hear what I just say?” Mr. Choi narrowed his eyes.

“Yes, yes, of course.” She quickly responded.

“Anyway,” He shrugged that off, quickly back to the topic. “I was informed that Sehun is still coma. I am afraid that you should handle his job desk longer than this. That Kyungsoo guy,” He shook his head in disapproval, clucking his tongue. “I didn’t get why HRD hired someone like him. He couldn’t even handle the simple financial report. Should I fire him myself?” He asked for her opinion, pointing forefinger to himself. “Ah, no, no. That kid would feel honoured if someone like me goes down to his department. He probably will think that he is special or whatsoever.”

“Ah, yes.” She mumbled again, not knowing how to properly respond despite for just politeness.

“Oh, do you want to visit him?”

“Huh? Him?” She was confused.

“Yes, Oh Se Hun.” He made his point clear. “You don’t think that I will order you to visit that Kyungsoo guy, do you?”

“Probably.” She shrugged.

“So, are you going to visit him or not? As long as I observed, you are the closest one to Sehun. I never saw him interact with the other co-workers aside from the work matter.” He shrugged, looking around her office. “Well, I order you to visit him. You never seemed pleased to whatever he was doing, better built a good relationship with him. It’s for the sake of company anyway.” He smiled, knocking her desk twice to get her fully attention. “Okay, Bae Ye Jin? Visit him. I’ll check from your secretary.” He wiggled his forefinger at her as he walked towards the door before he finally out from her office.

He didn’t even give me a chance to speak.

She sighed, leaning her back to her leather chair as she looked up at the ceiling. Her head was so full of thoughts, work, their plan, and now Oh Se Hun. How she wished she didn’t need to know about the fact that Sehun was still alive, real or not.

“Why should I visit someone who is still in coma?!” She whispered under her breath as she grabbed her jacket and bag, leaving the office. Might as well to do what Mr. Choi had asked earlier. Nevertheless, she definitely should check if the news was true that Oh Se Hun was still alive.

“His condition is stable, that’s a lot of good progression after 2 weeks long. We can hope that he is going to wake up soon.”

“I see.”

“From experience, if someone talks to the ones who in coma repeatedly, it will make they respond faster. They still hear stuff. It will be the best for you to converse with him to wake him up from his long dream.” He smiled.

Yejin slightly bowed to the doctor who just gave the explanation and mumbled thank you before he left.

“Converse? So not going to happen,” shuddered at the doctor’s suggestion.

With a sigh, she turned around where Sehun was laying down. His condition was much worse than she had imagined, but then again she couldn’t comprehend what exactly happened to him based on what Myungsoo had told her. I guess he hit his head pretty hard; her eyes darted to his head which almost covered with bandage. The only sound that was heard only the machine that showed that he was still breathing steadily.

Decided that she did her duty, she took a quick glance around the room, enjoying the luxuries on ever inch that offered from the VIP room. The wall was painted in a calming shade of brown, matched perfectly with the wooden floor. The beige curtains added the more ‘hotel’ feeling rather than a hospital room. Not to mention, the wooden furniture are also pleasing to eyes.

I don’t know if its Sehun’s family or the company that afford this room. I like it. She randomly thought, allowing herself to relax despite the hectic life she had lived in for past few years. It had been so hard for her.

Sighing, she turned around; leaving the room while picked up the phone call from the company that required her to be there immediately.

“It must be fate, huh?”

Yejin furrowed her eyebrows together, “What kind of fate?”

Myungsoo took a sip of his hot Americano before answering. It was such a rare occasion when both of them meet in the daylight like this, she missed this.

“That Oh Se Hun is still alive.” He spoke, making Yejin had to whipped her head around to make sure that no one heard him, especially when he talked about that so casually like he had just mentioned how good the weather was.

“Yah!” She knocked the table,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter