Carpe Noctem

Axiom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Carpe Noctem

"Some are born to sweet delight some are born to endless night" 

“Go ahead. Underestimate me.”

“One thing you can count on.. I never forget.”

The sound of heels clicking on the marble floor made few heads turning towards the source like they knew what was going to happen in about 5 minutes from now. The name tag that circled on her neck swung side to side as she fastens her pace. She ignored the greetings from the people who come across her direction. Her eyes were fixing to the door which was 10 meters away from her now. Well, to the person behind the door, specifically. Ignoring cries from the secretary in front of the office, she pushed the door in, forcefully, revealing the person behind the desk who was on the phone at the moment.

“Miss, you shouldn’t—“

“Oh Se Hun,” she grinded her teeth together, holding back her anger.

The man named Sehun glanced at the woman for a brief second, “I’ll call you back later, Sir. Yes, certainly with the news. Good afternoon.” After few ‘yes’, he hung up the call.

“Miss, I told you to—“

But the secretary was cut off when Sehun raised his hand, “That’s okay. You can go back to your work.”

“But, Sir, she—“

Sehun gave her the look that he was not going to take this discussion any longer than that. Dejected shoulder and annoyed expression, she bowed to both of the people inside the room which clearly had the higher position here and walked out. After the door shut, Sehun turned his direction toward the woman earlier, leaning his back against the leather chair while crossing his legs.

“What is it now, Bae Ye Jin?”

Yejin walked forward then pushed the documents that she had been holding to his table. Sehun glanced at the document before turning back his gaze back to the fuming girl.

“So?” He raised an eyebrow.

“So?!” She rolled her eyes before put one hand on her waist, glaring at the latter. “You tell me, Oh Se Hun. How come you didn’t put my name on our last report to Mr. Choi?” She gritted her teeth, putting some pressure on the word ‘our’. Because it was clearly the report was made by both of their contribution, especially when she held the marketing report so that Sehun could do the financial report.

Sehun took his sip on his coffee casually, ignoring the last question that she threw which made her fuming in anger at his ignorance. His eyes immediately on the laptop screen which shows that he had a new email, well, which meant one thing, a new work.

“Yah! Sehun!” She almost shouted on top of her lungs. She dropped all the formalities that she should have use on her co-worker. But this was the different case. Knowing this man in front of her for almost 2 years, she literally had no reason to have some respect on him, especially when he was on the same age as she was and the same position, Head Manager, only different department. If only they didn’t need each other, Yejin would gladly to stay away from any interaction that requires her to breaths the same air with him.

“Shh!” He hushed her, frowning slightly but not taking his eyes off of his laptop screen as reading the new notice. “I’m trying to concentrate here.”

She couldn’t take it any longer. As much as she didn’t want to be any closer at least 10 meters radius from him, she had to, again. She walked forward, making the heels echoing on his expensive cold hard floor and in one swift movement; she shut his laptop with force. Sehun sighed, his brain immediately imagine how big the screen crack based on the loud sound it made, even calculating the money he would spend. He already lost counts on how many times he should repair or buy a new laptop because of her short temper. Yet, he knew complaining would mean another argument and he didn’t want that.

Although, his calmness always irritated her even more than she already was.

“Are you even listening—“

“Yes, I did.” He cut her off before she could finish. Massaging his aching forehead, he sighed.

“And what did I—“

For the second time in that day, he cut her words, again. “I didn’t put any of our names in our report. He should’ve known already that it was made by both of us. So, why bother?”

It was true. He didn’t. But the fact that Sehun entered the company half a year earlier than she was, involuntary made Mr. Choi, their boss was all over Sehun. Oh Se Hun this, Oh Se Hun that. He knew that their boss was bias, even if he tried not to show that he didn’t but it was obvious. And Yejin was one of the employees that couldn’t handle the trait of their boss, especially when she disliked Sehun since the first day they met. Sometimes it looked like she hated him far away more than that since she never shows any kind of proper behaviour in front of him.

“I need the credit.” She hissed.

“Then I’ll just hand over every final report to you.” He shrugged.

His suggestion was indeed impossible since all of the final report would mean everything if there was financial report in it and it was Sehun’s work. So there was no way that the report would not end in his hand in the end. If she wanted the credit, it meant that she should stick to Sehun until he finished the report or else she should do the financial report all by herself. It was not that she was not capable, but doing another job desk which not meant for her to do means overlapping and the boss wouldn’t like it. A bit.

“Just remember it next time, Oh Se Hun.”

Once again, he shrugged and averted to another topic. “We have another work to do.”

Sighing, she knew that they finally had to drop down what she came here for earlier. “When we should hand it?” Crossing her arms together in front, she silently hoped it wouldn’t be sooner. She had to do something which not requires her not to think a single thing about work.

It was like Sehun knew how to make her day even worse, the answer made her mood went to the core of the earth. “Tomorrow morning.”

“Can you do them all faster?”

“I can’t. You see, it’s not even balance yet. I bet you miss something on your market report.”

“Don’t you ever doubt in me. I handed all of them to you. Nothing’s missing!” She raised her tone, clearly not liking his accusing and doubt about her work. She always did her best. “It must be your fault.”

On the other hand, Sehun also lost his patience after 3 hours long of her nagging. They were the only one in the office right now who was still working until this hour and as much as they both loved their job, being stayed behind was not always the best decision. Added, when they stuck with the person they didn’t really cherish that much.

“Are you questioning my skill?” He glared at her.

“You’ve been stuck on that same page for almost 30 minutes long. Yes, I doubt you.” She glared back at him.

“Shut your mouth, Bae Ye Jin.” He really wanted to end this argument. It might lead him to another round of headache aside from the financial report that he was working. It was really unfortunate for both of them to stick with each other until this late hour.

Unfortunately, Yejin always knew how to annoy him even more, much to his dislike.

“I’m going first.” She prepared to stand up as she gathered her stuff on the table.

Seeing this, Sehun immediately grabbed her wrist and pulled it downward so she sat back to the original place. “You’re not going anywhere.”

Yejin eyed his hand which was on her wrist, almost thinking that it made her skin burned. “I’m done here.” She stated, twisting the grip which only made Sehun gripped even tighter. “Let go, Oh Se Hun.” Her voice was filled with warn, glaring at him; then again, when they never glared to each other?

“You’re not leaving.” He pulled her wrist, involuntary making the wheel leather chair she was sitting on moved closer towards his direction with his strong pull. “Not until I finish this.” His eyes didn’t leave hers for even a second.

For a split second, Yejin almost swallowed down at his dark voice and his piercing eyes but she quickly regained her conscious. There was no way she would lose, even to a man.

“Let go.” She said again. Sehun looked for the sign if she was going to leave or not, seeing none, he slowly let go of her hand. His eyes darted down to the skin around her wrist, showing the reddish mark on her pale skin from his grip earlier. He almost felt guilty for doing that when she quickly hid her wrist from his view.

However, it was not like that Sehun didn’t know that Yejin always did something unexpected after almost 2 years working together as a partner.

“You’re doing fine after all these years. I’m leaving.” She quickly stood up before Sehun could do something to make her stop.

Sehun just stared at her who walks further then vanish as she turned left, heading to where the elevator was. That woman clearly showed that she never liked him even one bit. He never knew the reason why. Yejin somehow silently declared that she was never pleased with everything that he did. It was not that Sehun never tried to make her at least comfortable around him. Both of them were co-worker after all, moreover partner. For the sake of work purpose, he tried to look over to himself which was something he never do before, to look what he did wrong to her. However, after all this time, he found nothing. She seemed so fine with other co-workers, but to him, it was a whole new attitude. Of course, Sehun had his own limit too. Sure he had a high patience but with her attitude towards him, he literally had to hold himself not to blow up even she always pushed the right buttons to do so.

A heavy sigh escaped from his lips as he runs his hand through his dark brown locks, massaging his temple. His eyes didn’t leave his laptop screen, wondering why he couldn’t do something he was expert on. The sheet on the edge of table caught his attention. Curious, he left his place and stood to grab it. His eyes widened in realization when he scanned down the paper with his eyes. His lips involuntary turned into a smirk and quickly he rushed to the laptop, typing the new digit of numbers that he just found.

“I told you so, Bae Ye Jin. It’s your fault after all,” speaking to himself, his hummed in satisfaction as he finished his financial report and quickly send it to his boss.

Yejin hoped on to the bus, scanning the card before she took the seat on the right side. Her gaze directed outside, enjoying the sight of Seoul from the window. Even with this late hour, she still could see few people walking down the sidewalk. The bus finally moved forward, making the outside scenery becoming like a movie to her sight. She sighed, feeling that her energy has been drained out because of the work especially when she had something else to do after she arrived at her apartment.

The bus stopped on the red light, the same time when a white sport motorcycle stopped on her view. With one glance, she immediately recognized the person on that vehicle. The brown leather backpack on his back was too familiar, alongside with his black leather jacket even when the helmet covered all of his face. Her gaze involuntary turned hard as she stared at the figure. A lot of thoughts suddenly rushed on her head, making it ache then it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter