Protecting You

Axiom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Protecting You

"Your silence will not protect you"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

BANG. BANG.

The door finally opened widely, revealing the raging Myungsoo, but it did not last long when he surprised to see who it was.

“Yejin? What are—“

Without waiting any further, she walked in while pushing the man inside with her. The door behind her immediately shut closed with force before she turned around at him.

“How come?!” She shoots. “How come did he know you?!”

Realized the situation they were in, Myungsoo run his hand to his hair, messing it roughly at the distress.

“I haven’t found out how.” He stated.

Her heart was thumping loud on her chest. The adrenaline rushed inside her, but it was not even close to the excitement but fear.

“How did you find out?”

Myungsoo crossed his arms in front of his chest as he recalled on what happened yesterday afternoon.

“I just finished going out for lunch with my boss and clients yesterday and that was when I saw him.” He told her. Realizing it was not enough information, he explained further. “I was about to enter the building when I felt someone watching me. When I turned around, I saw this figure. He was on top of unfamiliar motorcycle and when he noticed that I knew his presence, he pulled the slid of his helmet open and that was when I knew it was Kai.”

A faint gasp escaped her lips.

“Are you sure it was him?”

Myungsoo did not even think twice to nod. “I am sure. His eyes were too familiar to not recognized.”

However, Yejin still did not believe him.

“Myungsoo, tell me that you are lying.” Her voice came out as a whisper.

“I did not, Yejin. You know if I lied.” He sighed, also feeling confused by this unexpected turn out event. “It’s impossible not to recognize him as I knew he had been close to you for years before we knew that he had been best friends with Sehun.”

It was true. Even though Myungsoo never introduced to Kai back then, he knew about what was going on between Yejin and Kai when they were still in college. The side of Myungsoo who always insisted to be still under the shadow was not even an excuse for him to not paying attention to her. In addition, Yejin never really mentioned about Myungsoo to anyone, just like he wished.

“We better sit down first.” He suggested after a long silence involving them.

Taking her luggage, Myungsoo lead the way to the living room. Unlike her, Myungsoo choose to stay in a house rather than an apartment. Even with her disturbed thought, she felt the familiar feeling rushed inside when she took a good look on the living room. Every corner of the room reminded her to the memory she had back then when she was still little. Those happy memories she decided to keep it rather than the bad ones.

After he placed her luggage near one of the couch, he was gone to the kitchen. Her eyes trailed to his figure. Mom’s favorite place, she solemnly thought.

“Did you rush here?”

Rush does not even describe it, I frantically flew over here. She put much sarcasm on her own thought more than she intended. After the phone call which was the same time when she saw Sehun running out from the airport, almost one hundred percent she was sure that he got the same information as she did. Kai was most likely who called, she did not have a doubt on that.

“I was thinking of moving, Yejin.”

“No!” She immediately denied. “You’re not moving again, Myungsoo. We talked about this.”

Myungsoo stayed silent meanwhile Yejin had hard time to control her anger. If Myungsoo moved away, she was sure that she could not contact him anymore, just as he always did. He said it was for both of their safety, but she did not want to accept it, especially when they already talked about this few years ago.

The last time he moved away was when police started to feel something was not right from their group activity. It turned out that someone from their gang caught red-handed when he bought drugs, which almost dragged all of the members into the prison. That was when Myungsoo gave out the idea to separated, including him, before they gathered again.

At that time, Yejin could not say anything. A huge part of her did not want Myungsoo to be in prison and that was why she allowed him.

However, this time, she hoped that they should face the consequences together; not running away anymore.

Yejin exhaled slowly, feeling that she was already on her right state of mind before she spoke.

“Jongin probably just checked the truth for now. We don’t know their further plan.”

That was the first time that name roll again on her tongue after years.

“So, we just wait?” He guessed.

She nodded in confirmation. “You should stay out from gang activities for awhile. No more races or anything. They could check from acquaintances if he already knows your face. It would not take long for entire groups in Seoul to know who you are if he decided to speak out.”

Yes, for now, that was the best she could think of.

As long as Myungsoo was not hurt, she could live with that.

Yejin could not even think straight these days. The uneasiness dominated her, however the most important thing for now was how to make it disappear. She had a hard time to focus, even for her works and it really disturbed her.

“Yejin!”

Someone hissed along with a strong nudge which enough to wake her from her daydream, made Yejin immediately turned her head. On her side, Yoora gave her the sign through her eyes that one of the Executive Officers was waiting for her to read her report.

Yejin abruptly stood up which caused the chair she was sitting on almost fall back if only Yoora did not quick enough to prevent it. But of course, her clumsiness did not just missed by Mr. Choi who waited for her to read the annual sales with annoyed look.

“Come on,” Yoora urged when Yejin did not even speak because she hadn’t recover from the surprise.

“Ah, yes,” nodding, she cleared before she read her report.

Stumbling with her own words in the beginning, she eventually finished to give out the presentation that she prepared for few days. This was the important meeting before the meeting with all of the stakeholders next week. Yejin’s presentation was the last one before the meeting was done.

“That’s all for today. I’ll see you in the next meeting. I hope everyone would be awake next time I walk in,” said Mr. Choi as he looked straight to Yejin who immediately bowed down before he left the room.

Everyone in the room bowed before finally followed Mr. Choi’s trail then back to their separated work.

“Good work, Yejin-ah.” Yoora patted her shoulder with simpatico look, but still encouraging her.

Yejin sighed with her slumped shoulder, but eventually nodded. “Thanks.”

“Keep your head in the work, Yejin.” Jaebum came with wide smile on his face, patting her head with the stack of files on his hand.

Yejin gave him a weak smile, “I’ll try my best, Sunbae.”

Both of her seniors dismissed. With a long sigh, Yejin started to walk out from the door but only to be stopped by a hand outstretching in front of her. Startled, she abruptly stopped before she collided her body.

“Can I have time with you?”

His breath touched her nape from the close distance, made her immediately felt nervous and so small at the same time. Somehow, Yejin felt like she knew what he was going to say. Was it related to Myungsoo? What if he confronted her?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter