Thinking Out Loud

Between The Lips

 

Wheein has been spending most of her past few days at a friend’s house. She was the daughter of her mother’s best friend, and the latter would call and ask Wheein to come over every time she had to go to work.


 

Her name was Moonbyul, a Physics student, twenty-four years old. Wheein was majoring in English Literature and civilization.


 

Both were in a revision week, right before the end of the year finals, however, they had different attitudes. While Moonbyul was paying full attention to her studies, having her nose in the books all day, Wheein would just hang around, playing on her phone, or laying in bed, till she falls asleep.


 

The older girl would take a break every now and then.

The first time it happened, she slipped into her single person bed, grabbed her laptop, and started watching some anime.

“Hey, get off the floor and come over here.” She called Wheein.

 

The black haired girl was a bit flustered. “Huh?” She asked.

“Come watch this with me.” Byul patted the empty spot next to her, and Wheein felt nervous at the idea of laying in bed next to her new found crush.

 

Whether she liked to admit it or not, Moonbyul was a total jackpot: a bit older than her, taller than her, body goals, beautiful blond hair, touchy, smart, funny, adorable, gorgeous, and hot.

 

She got up, her limbs numb from the unhealthy position she’s been in for the past hour or so. She struggled to get into bed, next to the older girl.



 

The second time they watched anime together, Wheein was pressed against the wall, the laptop on her tummy, Moonbyul lying next to her, facing her, her head on her chest, and their legs intertwined.

 

The third time, they just fell asleep with the sounds coming from the laptop as their background music.








 

Wheein pulled her black hair up in a lousy ponytail, she sat on the floor, crossing her legs. She settled her laptop before her and started typing the boredom away, dodging her creativity around the place.


 

Moonbyul was sitting on her desk, working on some boring mathematics paper.

 

“Hey! Check this.” Byul was holding her phone close to Wheein’s face, showing her a video taken from a tv show aired few nights ago.

 

“Shouldn’t you be studying?” Wheein glared at the blond, annoyed by the sudden interruption.

“Shouldn’t you be studying too?”

“I do not do that .”

“I’m gonna tell your mom.”

“Says the girl I’m babysitting.”

 

Byul threw a playful punch at Wheein’s arm, and the latter groaned in pain. “You know I’m fragile, .”

 

“Stupid.” Byul stuck her tongue out, teasing the younger girl.

 

Wheein started feeling uneasy when she realized the topic of the video her friend was watching: Homouality.

 

Dear lord WHY?

 

She tried to keep it cool, keeping her comments to herself, her opinion to herself, but she was dying inside to know what her friend will say.

 

“What the actual ?” Byul finally said.

Wheein looked up wearing a poker face.

“What?” She asked, her voice hesitant. Not a good indication.


 

“This is some kind of nonsense. What the is this homouality thing.”

The younger girl felt her heart drop down her stomach, a bitter feeling filled her insides. She’s homophobic…


 

Wheein tried to get around the topic, dodging bullets, but her friend was spitting some bull.

 

“Why are you defending them? Are are you gay?” The blond finally said.

Wheein glared at Byul, annoyed. “Just let me go back to my writing.” She finally said before getting back to her laptop.

 

“Whatever.”



 

Two days passed and Moonbyul hadn’t called. It was weird given that the girl used to call at least once per day, but Wheein didn’t bother not getting in touch with a homophobic person.

 

She was listening to music, when her phone rang. It was her.

 

"I haven't called because two nights ago when I drove you home you seemed pissed off and I didn’t know what to do about that. I just thought I should give you some time, but, what’s wrong?”

Byul asked in the middle of their conversation.

 

“Nothing, I was just tired.”

“Please tell me.”

“I said, nothing.”

“I don’t believe you. Come over later.”

“We’ll see about that.”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Nope. Mom is calling, I gotta go.”




 

It took Wheein one more day to meet her friend again, however she did not plan it, it just happened when Byul called her mom asking her to drop Wheein by.


 

Byul kept asking what’s wrong, the vibe was off, Wheein was keeping her distance. “Nothing,” is all what Wheein had to say.


 

Every time the younger girl felt at peace, Byul would bring up the homouality topic again, and Wheein was starting to get sick of it.

 

The next time they were going to watch anime, Wheein got herself a pillow and lied on the floor, next to the bed.

 

“There’s room up here.”

“I’m comfortable down here.”

 

“Seriously, what the is wrong?”

“Nothing. Just play the episode.” Her tone was cold, harsh, just like the floor, but Wheein felt like lying next to the older girl would be like playing an unfair game.

Would she still want me to lie next to her if she knew I’m a lesbian? She would probably feel betrayed when she finds out..



 

Her thoughts clouded her mind, prohibiting her from watching the series, putting her to sleep, on the harsh, cold floor.



 

The verbal abuse went for a few more days, and Wheein got so tired of it. The next time she brings this up, I’m gonna tell her everything, and if she doesn’t want to be my friend anymore, then I’m ready to lose her.


 

Monday after dinner, Wheein lied in bed, Moonbyul was working, like always, when she glared at Wheein’s thumb ring.

“You shouldn’t wear that kind of things.”

“Why?”

“It’s suggestive.”

“How?”

“Gay people wear rings around their thumbs, so you shouldn’t wear that.”

“What if I am gay?”

“Huh?”

“I said, what if I am gay, and that’s why I am wearing this ring.”

 

Moonbyul had a puzzled look on her face. “Does that mean..”

“Yes. I am a lesbian.” Wheein deadpanned, sitting up.

 

Moonbyul was about to crack a question when Wheein’s phone rang.

 

“Yes, mom. I’m coming out right now.” She hang up, looked up at her friend: “Mom is here to take me home, goodnight.”

 

Wheein got up, swung her backpack on her shoulder, and was about to walk out of the room, when Byul called her.

She looked at her. “Thank you.” The older girl said, sending a flying kiss to the black haired girl. “For?”

“Everything.”

 

“Shut up and never thank me again.” Wheein said, before leaving the house.

 

The ride home was silent, but the second Wheein was alone in her room, she broke down in silent tears. She hated herself, hated her situation, hated being who she is.


 

She got off her bed half an hour later, her eyes bloodshot red, bloated, her nose running. She fetched her phone off her desk and sat on the chair, staring at a turned off laptop screen.

 

She dialed Byul Yi’s number, and listened to it ring, slowly, painfully. Wheein checked the time. Midnight, probably still up.


 

“Hey.” The other’s voice was low, husky.

“Hey! You know..I mean..you know..I’ve been thinking about this..it’s just that..you know..if you are feeling uncomfortable you can just tell me to not come over any more.”

 

“Did you seriously call me for this?”

“Yes.”

She heard the older girl sigh. “I’ll go. Bye.”

Wheein hang up and climbed into bed again.


 

She was drifting to sleep when AkMu’s Re-Bye started playing. She threw a look at her phone, her eyes barely open.

 

Moonn

 

She picked up.

“Come down. I’m outside.”

“My house?”

“Obviously!”

 

She put on a hoodie, taking slow steps down the stairs, not knowing what to expect.

 

She got into the passenger’s seat, rubbing her hands, hoping for some warmth.

“It’s midnight.” She said without looking at the dirver, her voice unusually hoarse.

 

“Look.” Byul said, and wheein obeyed without hesitation. She turned to her right, anxiously, her lips pressed lightly.

 

Moonbyul took her hand , sneaking her left hand behind Wheein’s neck, pulling her even closer, their breaths crashing against each other’s cheeks, till their lips met into a sweet kiss.


 

When they broke the kiss, Wheein ran her tongue over her lips, tasting the cherry chapstick she caught off Byul’s lips. The latter was staring at her, her lips turned upwards in a smile, her eyes bright.

 

“I sure still want you to come over. I think this answers all of your questions.” Moonbyul whispered.

“Now I have other questions to ask.” Wheein joked.


“Get out of my car!”

Wheein opened the door, looked at Byul one more time before getting out of the car. She was stepping into the house when she felt a hand grab her arm, and turn her around.

 

Moobyul pressed one more peck on ther younger's lips, whispered "good night", before she got into her car and drove off.

 

 


you can follow me on twitter: wheessus
or on ask: http://ask.fm/Wheesus