Body Language

Between The Lips

“Wheein!” Moonbyul cheered despite knowing that calling the younger girl is useless. She remembers the first time she called Wheein when their even younger friend, Hyejin, was around. The girl stared at Byulyi as if she was crazy.

 

“What?” Moonbyul frowned, seeing Hyejin’s face.

“Did you seriously just call Wheein?”

“Um, yeah?”

“Moon byulyi, she’s deaf!” Hyejin exclaimed, shaking her head.

“I love calling her name.”

 

Moonbyul, Hyejin and Wheein all went to the same high school. The three of them were members of the dance club, and that’s how they got closer to each other even though Byulyi was three years older than the other two.

 

Their life had been pretty normal, until the day Wheein had an accident. It was during her first year in university. The girl was running late for her part-time job as a librarian, when a car hit her.

The driver ran away, but one of the passengers who witnessed the accident wrote down the plate number.

 

How Hyejin found him, beat his senses out of his mind, then reported him to the police, is a total other story.


 

The accident left Wheein deaf, and everyone who loved her devastated.

 

However, the young lady chose to accept her fate, and stand up again, and both of her closest friends were there to take by her hands and pick her up.

 

The first few days, everyone used writing to communicate with Wheein, then Moonbyul offered to teach the younger girl some sign language.

 

“How come you know sign language?” Wheein screamed, making Hyejin to hurry and cover with her hand. “This kid has been speaking louder since going deaf,” Hyejin mumbled.

My cousin is deaf, remember?

Moonbyul wrote down on the neat white paper, before holding it up, and showing it to Wheein, who nodded with a smile on her face.

 

The older girl stared at Wheein, lost in her bravery. How can someone be this cheerful after losing their hearing? From where does she get this strength?




 

Their first session was full of laughter as Wheein kept on failing again and again, signing weird things instead of what Moonbyul is trying to teach her.

 

This is how to say that you are angry, Byulyi wrote down, before bringing her fists together, up to her chest.

Wheein, too excited to follow what she had just learned, brought her fists up, but instead of keeping them on the same level, her left hand on top of her right hand, pulling them apart when she asked “like this?”

 

Moonbyul fell off her chair, on the floor, holding her stomach and laughing so hard. Wheein started laughing too.

When she regained her breath, the older girl took the white paper and wrote: that means poop in baby sign language. And that’s how their second round of laughing started.


 

At the end of the first session, and after bidding goodbye, Wheein noticed the older girl signing something to her that she couldn’t understand.

“Unnie, what does that mean?”

But Moonbyul just waved her goodbye, signing -see you tomorrow-.


 

Aside from hanging out together with Hyejin, the two girls agreed to meet every two days, after classes, as fixed sign language sessions. As time passed, Moonbyul found herself getting a bit extra excited to meet Wheein and teach her sign language. It was fun watching the girl get fascinated by the smallest things, endlessly praising the blonde for her knowledge of such a thing, and hugging her billion times trying to show how grateful she is.


 

The little sign language learning sessions turned into cooking sessions, movie sessions, video game session, as Moonbyul believed that it’s easier and more efficient to teach her that way.


 

Wheein didn’t know if it is new, or if it’s because her world fell in silence, that she started to notice all the little things Moonbyul does, like holding her hand when crossing the street, or sneaking her arm behind her waist when they are walking around campus.

She doesn’t know if it used to happen before, the reassuring smile the older girl gives her, every time their eyes meet, and how she feels like nothing in the world can harm her, how she feels in some peace no one can steal from her, not as long as Byulyi is by her side.



 

“Unnie, what’s that thing you just did?” Wheein asked, when she saw Moonbyul do the same thing she’s been signing at the end of every session they have, however, the older girl waved her goodbye again, reminding her of their lunch date for the next day, before leaving the apartment.


 

Wheein sighed as she leaned her back against the comfy couch. Why does she always avoid telling me that? What does that thing mean?

 

Hyejin walked into the small living room, smiling, before she leaned down to write something for Wheein.

 

Do you realize that you are actually talking outloud and not just thinking?

 

She giggled when her best friend slapped her face with her palm.

 

“You should learn sign language too!” Wheein noted.

 

i will after im done w my projects

But what were you talking i mean thinking about rn?

 

“Byulyi unnie does this thing every time before she leaves, and she doesn’t want to tell me what it means.” Wheein pouted, and Hyejin ruffled her hair. Cute.

 

Show me what she does maybe i can help

 

Wheein imitated what Byulyi does every time, noting her best friend’s smirk. She knows something.

 

“Hyejin-nim, what is it?” She said in a cute voice. She knows Hyejin can’t resist that. The younger girl grabbed the notebook right away.

 

What do i get in return?

 

“My love.”

 

Nope, dont want.

 

“Chicken.”

 

Smiling, Hyejin leaned next to the girl, writing something on the paper, before showing it to her. She started laughing when she saw the blush on Wheein’s cheeks, and held two thumbs up before heading to the kitchen.




 

The next time Moon Byulyi did the signs to Wheein, she was taken aback by the girl’s reaction, the red color on her cheeks, and she spent all her night wondering if Wheein knew what they meant.




 

A week passed since the last time Byulyi did the mysterious signs before leaving, a week and two days since Wheein learned what they meant.

 

Moonbyul stood by the door, looking hesitant, before bringing her hands up, and signing it again, for the first time in a week.

“Unnie, wait!” Wheein called, walking to the taller girl.

 

“I forgot to show you this,” she whispered, facing the girl, her hand looking for something in her pocket.

She took the older’s right hand, before putting a small piece of paper in it, a shy smile on her face.

 

Moonbyul took the paper in both hands, looking at it, then at Wheein, then at the paper again.


Then ask me out, cause i, too, have been in love with you since forever.

 

 


as i promised, a fluffy wheebyul, prompt by power_cell88, read her fics, she's such a good writer, but she 90% kills someone in the ship so expect it, but that doesn't make her less of a good writer.