Chasing Cars

Between The Lips

“Hey!” Yongsun was panting, running out of breath as her lungs were not used to the extra effort she put to catch up to her friend.

 

“You are not going to walk home, now, are you?” She asked tilting her head questionably, unable to understand what’s wrong with the girl she met few hours ago.


 

Hyejin had dragged Wheein to a party a senior was throwing to celebrate the end of the year. Despite not wanting to go, Wheein almost never won an argument against her best friend, and she ended up tagging along to the party, where she met Yongsun: a senior with a blinding smile, long brown hair, and a weird laugh.


 

“I am, actually, going to walk home.” Wheein said, slowing down her pace, but not stopping.

 

“Come on, Wheein-shi. I am going to drive Hyejin home, anyways, so why don’t you come with us. After all, you two live together!” The brunette was confused.

 

“No, it’s okay, unnie. Give her a ride since she’s drunk, but I want to take a walk.” Wheein turned to face the older girl, smiling gently.

 

“Ugh, Wheein-shi! It’s past one in the morning, for food’s sake!” She groaned in frustration. What’s wrong with this kid.

 

Wheein stopped. Yongsun stopped too. “I’m sorry for raising my voice,” she apologized. Wheein giggled, “it’s okay. Don’t worry about me and go back to the party. I’ll be home before you guys bring Hyejin. I hope she doesn’t get herself in trouble.”

 

Wheein bowed before taking off again, walking faster, and Yongsun sighed, watching her silhouette fade in the dark.

 

She’s a weird person. Did someone offend her in the party? I am worried about her.

 

“Text me when you’re home!” She screamed. “Oh! I don’t have her number..”



 

Once back in her house, where the party was, Yongsun looked for Hyejin to tell her about her best friend. She got the younger’s phone number, and texted her right away, asking her to text back once she’s home, and safe; and she was happy when the dimpled girl texted her saying that she’s home, 45 minutes later.



 

The party ended pretty late, almost four in the morning, and it was already getting bright outside. Hyejin helped her friends clean a bit before Yongsun and her boyfriend, Eric, drive her home.


 

They jumped in the car, put on some calm music, and Eric started the engine.

 

“Hyejin, tell me, did someone annoy Wheein during the party?” Yongsun turned to see the girl with short black hair. She was slightly drunk, but able to hold a conversation. She shook her head, pressing her lips.

 

“Did you two have a fight?” Yongsun asked again.

“What? No! Why?” Hyejin stuttered her words.

 

“Then why did she go home early and reject my offer to give her a ride?” The brunette looked ahead, to the deserted road, fixing her seatbelt, before she ran her hand through her hair to put some stray locks in place.


 

“Wheein..she..ah..doesn’t like car drives.” Hyejin managed to say.

 

“Dumb. That’s not a reason for her to walk home alone in the middle of the night.” Yongsun commented, annoyance in her voice.

 

“Better say, she never rides cars,” Hyejin stated.

 

“What?” Eric and Yongsun asked in unison, confused.

 

“Anymore.” Hyejin added.

 

“Anymore?” The older girl, even more confused, couldn’t hold back the stream of questions flooding her mind.


 

“We’re here!” Hyejin chanted, almost jumping out of the car while it was still going.

“Yo! Chill! You’re that happy to leave us?”

“Maybe!” She said in english before bidding goodbye, running upstairs to her shared apartment with Wheein.



 

“I am still confused about Wheein’s carphobia thing!” Yongsun said as her boyfriend drove off.

“Ask her about it.”


 

Yongsun invited Wheein for a coffee, few days after the party, and the latter decided she should go, to make it up for the older girl. After all, rejecting her nice offer to drive her home was rude.


 

The dimpled girl insisted on a coffee shop near her apartment, even though Yongsun wanted to take her to a nice place by the Han river.



 

The two girls found out that they have a lot in common, especially their weird sense of humour, and they felt closer two hours into their date.

 

“I have a question,” Yongsun mustered the courage to finally ask about what have been on her mind.

“Shoot!”

 

“Why are you against riding cars? Are you some pro-environment or something?” The older girl asked, looking at the younger girl with anticipating eyes.

 

She watched her reach for her bag, pull a packet of cigarettes, before putting one between her lips, and lighting it.

 

“I guess that’s a no to the pro-environment.” Yongsun mumbled.

 

Wheein sighed. She wanted to laugh. She wanted to even smile, but she couldn’t.


 

“I have a history with cars,” she said after taking a long sip of her machiatto.

Seeing the older’s puzzled look, she added, “I guess that doesn’t really answer your question.”

 

“Truth is, I am weirdly extra curious about your so called history with cars. Have you dated a crossover that left you for a pick-up, because you are too small?”

 

Again, she tried to laugh, as the older girl giggled on her own joke, but she couldn’t.


 

“I dated a star who drove an Alfa Romeo on a highway to heaven, leaving me in grief’s hell.”

Her voice was low.


 

Yongsun looked at the girl before her, and for the first time, she noticed the dead look in her eyes, the darkness replacing a brightness that once lit her life, long ago, before she even met Yongsun.






 

“You’re home.” Hyejin peaked from the kitchen.

“I’m home.” Wheein replied.

“How was your date with Yongsun unnie?”

“She’s nice, refreshing,” the few months older girl noted, “what’s for dinner?”

 

“Teokbeokki.”

“It was her favorite,”

“I know,”

“It has been three years. Time really flies,” Wheein sounded exhausted, as if she has been carrying the world’s burdens over her shoulders for the past three years.

 

“I didn’t even tell her how much I loved her.”


 

Tiptoeing to reach the cupboard, Hyejin pulled a citron Absolut Vodka, along with two cups, before sitting across from her best friend.

It turned to a habit for Hyejin to cook teokbeokki, for Wheein to mention that it was her favorite, and for the two of them to get drunk, the night of her anniversary.

 

The pain was permanent, the moment felt eternal, and the wound didn’t even turn to a scar. It had been three years since Moon Byulyi dropped by Wheein and Hyejin’s apartment the night of her big race. Hyejin cooked teokbeokki, and Byul was so happy to eat her favorite dish. They drunk a bit, without Moon drinking, for she had a race to win the day after.

 

They chatted for an hour or so, wished time would stop, and they would talk more, but Moon Byulyi had a race to win the day after.



 

She stood by the door, not wanting to leave.

 

“Wheeinie..,” she sneaked her arm around the younger’s waist, pulling her till there was no space between them, “I will win tomorrow’s race, and I will tell the world that you are my girlfriend.” She smiled, her nose bridge showing, before leaning for a quick kiss.

 

“You better come back with a trophy,” Wheein cheered, lightly slapping her girlfriend’s .

“You are my trophy.”


 

“You are my trophy.”

 

Wheein smirked, putting her cup down, her fist clutching around the glass that Hyejin feared it would break, hurting her best friend.

 

“I am an abandoned trophy, sitting on the shelves of an empty hall of fame, waiting for my champion to come back from a one way journey.”




It has been three years since Moon Byulyi’s Alfa Romeo exploded in the middle of the race, taking away the life of a champion, an older sister, and a loving girlfriend.

 

 


hello! i'm back with my heartbreaking oneshots but don't kill me
i love you all thank you for subscribing, commenting and upvoting, it means a lot to me.