Insomnia

Between The Lips

Wheein shifts in her bed for the nth time, despair starts to work its way up to her senses.

 

She has tried everything from drinking a warm glass of milk with honey, to taking hot baths, but none worked. She even has given away her phone and tablet to Hyejin, hoping that having no distractions around would put her to sleep easier, but that failed too.


 

She has tried sleeping on her stomach, on her right side, on her left side, pressed against the wall; or on the edge of the bed, only to find herself staring at her digital wall clock at three in the morning, blinking the seconds away. Seconds turn into minutes, and minutes turn into hours. When she finally falls asleep, it’s almost time for her to wake up.


 

She doesn’t know what’s keeping her up, burning the motors in her mind, bringing tears to her eyes. She feels so hopeless, helpless, and her tears flow down her cheeks, fill her ears. She cries.

 

Sometimes her silent cries turn into muffled sobs, her face buried in her pillows out of fear that she’d wake the other kids from sleep.



She takes a deep breath, counts to eight, tells herself that she’s going to fall asleep, that she’s not gonna witness the sunrise again. When she breathes out, she feels a weight on her bed, a little shift, and a pair of arms encircle her. The embrace is warm, like a cup of hot chocolate on a rainy day. Moonbyul smells of jasmine, it calms Wheein down. She turns to face the girl, buries her face in the crook of the older’s neck, and drifts to sleep.

 


prompt from mamamooprompts on twitter ^^