Chapter one

Hush.

Leo was both confused and frustrated. What did he do wrong this time? Why isn’t she answering her phone? Why is she not replying his texts? He threw his phone to the side, fortunately the passenger seat was empty and the phone did not bounce off. The traffic was jam packed too, just great. He was trying to catch up with her; she’s been successfully avoiding him. He needs to get there before she goes home.

             Krystal meanwhile is still enjoying her time practicing her piano in the practice room. Everyone had just left; she always stays behind to get some time alone.

“Soojung-ah, don’t forget the lights and to lock the door. Okay?” her instructor reminded her.

“Nde unnie. I won’t forget.” Said Krystal half listening, she was already immersed on the new piece she’s working on.

She exited the room an hour and a half later.

“You’re last again?” asked the security ahjusshi. Krystal nod as she excited the building. She might be the last one to exit her practice room, but there are loads of other rooms in the building and much more people who would stay up much later than her.

Krystal widens her eyes in surprise when she saw Leo waiting impatiently outside the building. She simply walked past him. Whatever she was hoping didn’t happen because Leo caught hold of her arm, stopping her.

“Why haven’t you answered any of my calls?” he was trying to sound calm.

“Nothing.” Krystal tried to shrug it off.

“Krysta-”

“I’m just tired, okay? I want to get home. I’ll see you later.” She said, jogging to the bus which is just about to leave. She stopped the bus’s door from closing and entered, bowing in apology to the driver, totally ignoring Leo’s shout from outside.

Leo looked at Krystal as the bus pass by him, the girl not even turning to his direction. He sighs as he entered his car, looking at the chocolates he brought for her on the way here.

It’s almost a year for the two of them. A year. That has to mean something to her too right? They have exceeded everyone’s expectation for them. Leo had never done what he just did earlier with her. He has never sounded like that towards her. Everything was smooth sailing, well, sure there were a few bumps, but it was never too serious. This time however, was different. He has this bad feeling about the whole situation. It just feels like something is really wrong and he’s angry because he doesn’t know what the actual problem is. Krystal had never avoided him this much; she always answered his calls and replied his texts even though it’s late. Leo, feeling frustrated again, turns his car at the last minute and headed for her apartment.

She wasn’t home. He didn’t expect her to be. He’s desperate now. Why is he desperate? He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. After a few rounds of battling with himself, he decided to go to the sea. He remembered her saying that she goes there often to clear her mind. He searched for her for over an hour; she wasn’t there either. Where on earth could she be then?

***

Krystal got out of the elevator which only stops at the ninth floor. She had to walk up a flight of stairs before reaching the rooftop. She automatically sat on the edge, letting her legs dangling dangerously. She didn’t even flinch. She took out her half empty soju bottle and start to sip it little by little, hoping to clear her thoughts even just a little bit.

Two hours later, she threw her now empty bottle as she excited the building. She didn’t go to the sea today because she felt that she needs to be up high. Sure, that building wasn’t so high, but it was the highest one in the area within walking distance. Krystal only left because she needs to eat. She probably shouldn’t have skipped lunch. It was now 10 o’clock. She slowly made her way to the convenience store to buy some cheap rice cakes and a mineral water. This would have to suffice until she gets home.

Krystal almost choked on her water when she saw Leo’s car outside her apartment building. She’d been gone for more than 3 hours; he couldn’t have waited that long…right? She hops into the elevator, gulping down her water.

And there he was; standing beside her apartment door, looking angry and frustrated.

“What are you doing here?” Krystal blurt out. She is very much bewildered by this sudden behaviour of his. He had never done such things to her. Calling her a hundred times, texting her day and night, and now, even wait for her to get back?

“I was worried, you idiot.” Said Leo, voice muffled by her hair as he hugged her, tightly. He didn’t look so angry now. Krystal just stood there, surprised by the sudden hug. She let him be, until she heard people talking not too far away. Realizing that they’re still in public, she broke the hug.

“I’m not leaving.” Leo said somewhat stubbornly. Krystal sighs; unlocking her door.

“Come in then.” She said, nodding towards her apartment.

“Hungry?” asked Krystal like nothing happened. They have this habit of always ignoring the problem until it can’t be avoided. Leo nodded from the living room. He was inspecting the place. This is only the second time he’s here. The first time was to take Krystal to the hospital because of her gastric. He made sure she never skipped a meal since, or well, to say the least he tried.

“These are all mine…” he said under his breath but it was loud enough for Krystal to hear.

“That’s all the paintings that you gave to me.” Or the ones I took from you to be exact.

“I gave you this many paintings? I must be mad…” A small smile crept onto Krystal’s face but Leo was too preoccupied to notice the rare smile. He walked around the place, taking everything in.

Krystal was almost finished when Leo went behind her, watching her cook.

“Mmm. Kimchi.” He says. The rice cooker made a click sound.

            “Check the rice.” Leo left Krystal’s back and followed her little order.

            “Whoa, it’s perfect.” Krystal sent him a glare.

            “You think I can’t cook?”

            “I, er…. I’ve never seen you cook.” Leo said looking somewhat defeated. Krystal shrugs. Fair enough.

            “I’ll set the table.” Leo said again wanting something to do.

            The first dinner they have together in Krystal’s house went well. They tend to eat quietly while enjoying their food. They both don’t talk much, so that could be another explanation.

            It was already pretty late when they finished. Krystal grabbed her most comfortable blanket and pillow and gave it to Leo who was going to sleep on the couch.

            “I really don’t mind sleeping on the couch you know. You can have the bed.” Krystal said once again. Leo sighs.

            “Krystal, I’m not sleeping on your bed. It’s yours. Sides, you’re-”

            “-a girl. I’m the girl. I get it. But you’re the one with the broken bones.” Leo squint his eyes on her.

            “They’re not broken, Krystal.” She rolled her eyes.

            “Whatever. I’m gonna sleep like a hog so don’t you dare wake me up.”

            “A very good night to you too princess. Sweet dreams.”

***

            The next morning, Krystal once again cooks for them both. They could just eat cereals but she knows Leo has a long day today because it was a Saturday. Leo was still sleeping peacefully even after Krystal finished cooking.

            I should wake him up, Krystal thinks to herself. He would be late if he doesn’t wake up now. She walks to the couch.  She stared at him, he was peaceful when sleeping. Not having that scowl on his face like when he was awake. They had many things in common; they are also different from each other. It’s so complicated that the two of them just decided to never think about their relationship.

Everyone thought Leo was just playing with her. They just thought that Krystal wants to have a shot at one of the popular guys in school just like the rest of the girls. Everyone bet that that they won’t last too long. Leo and Krystal thought the same. They didn’t really have a thing for each other in the beginning. Both were merely curious about one another. But somehow, somehow, two months turn into four, four months turn into six, six months turn into eight, and now they’ll have their first year anniversary in a month time. Leo’s friends were starting to get curious at how their relationship works. They never kissed, rarely hugs, they hold hands sometimes, the two barely even talks. Was there even a relationship going around? But here they were, still ongoing; exceeding everyone’s expectation including themselves.

“How long are you gonna stare at me?” mumbled Leo, eyes opening slightly. Krystal almost jump, she didn’t realize she had been doing that.

“I… wasn’t staring. Wake up already, you’re going to be late.”

Leo sat up and stretched; revealing his chocolate abs. Krystal looked away quickly and decided that it’s time to bring the food to the table. Leo smiled at the slightly flustered Krystal, he can never get tired of the sight. He got up to wash up before having breakfast together. Another silent meal passed.

“You’re going home to change right?” asks Krystal. She can’t imagine him walking around without showering properly.

“Why? Is there something wrong with what I’m wearing now? You bought me the shirt.”

“You gotta be kidding me.” Said Krystal, thinking he was serious. Leo chuckled.

“Relax Krys. Of course I’m gonna change.”

“And shower.” Krystal added. Leo smiled.

“Yeah, yeah. And shower.” He repeated after her.

Krystal got up and cleaned the table while Leo was preparing to go out. His hand was about to turn the doorknob when he turns around and say, “We can have dinner together. I have a piece I just finished working on.”

Krystal nods from the kitchen. “Sure. I’ll bring the movie. There’s something I wanna watch.” They have this tradition of always watching a movie when Leo brings her to his apartment to see his paintings. He always shows his paintings to her first.

“I’m leaving first.”

“Kay, safe driving!”

Leo likes to think it was the way Krystal shows she cares. By telling him to be careful always, and she tells him that a lot. It was a great way to start his long day. Saturday was his favorite day of the week. Saturday is when the art class that he was taking goes out of their art studio. They will go to the place assigned to them and paint what they saw. They can only go back if their art teacher, Mr. Kim, was satisfied by it. They will need to find inspiration, and paint it. Ren almost didn’t go home on his first Saturday activity. His seniors all told him that was how it was for their first time too, everyone struggled in the beginning. Their art teacher is strict, so strict that most of his students left. Only the talented ones and those who can stand him and work their way stayed. It’s hard to be with Mr. Kim when you don’t have an eye for art. He’s blunt and harsh with his words. It’s not a class you take for fun that’s for sure. It costs plenty too.

***

Leo was the last to leave again. His seniors had already left. They were quick but also take about four or five tries before succeeding. Leo usually takes one or two tries, even though he’s slow compared to the others.

It was 7pm, time to call Krystal.

“Krys?”

“I’m ready. I’ll be down in a sec. You’re on your way right?”

“Yes, I’m in the car now.”

Krystal waited outside with her casual style. She doesn’t like to stand out so she always wears something casual and comfortable. This time she was wearing skinny jeans and a white shirt covered with a denim jacket.

Krystal only waited for about five minutes before Leo arrived. She opens the door before Leo could do it for her, but she wasn’t quick enough to do her seatbelt. Leo just loves doing things for this girl, it’s like she doesn’t have her own hands. He treats her like she’s a princess, hence the nickname. She sometimes feels that way too, and it’d be a lie if she says she’s not enjoying the sweet attention. Krystal was mysterious for a reason; she doesn’t want to rely on people too much. She doesn’t want to get attached. But little did she knows, she was already getting comfortable to Leo. Little did she knows, she was already relying on him. Little did she knows, she is already slowly falling for him.

But Krystal is not the only one falling for someone. Leo was quite the same. He notices all the little things Krystal does for him. Arranging his stuff at home, making sure he eats, nagging him for not being careful. Krystal does all the little things most people tend to ignore and forget. But with Leo it was different. He sees it all. Probably because he doesn’t talk much, he observes more. He sees more of everything. That cute eye smile Krystal makes when she giggles, the way her face lit up when she laughs or smile genuinely, the way she twist her hair when she’s shy or nervous, her pouting when she’s annoyed, biting her lip when she doesn’t know what to do or her occasional daydreaming habit. It had become one of his habits to observe Krystal.

“The lights green.” Leo blink his eyes, he’s been staring at her, again.

“You almost missed the green light.That's so unlike you. What were you thinking?” asks Krystal as she moved her eyes from her side window. She on the other hand had been daydreaming, again.

“Oh. Er, nothing really. Just the painting I did earlier.” Leo lied smoothly, he was thinking about her. But there was no way he was going to admit that.

“Did you finish it in one go again?” She actually bought his lie his time. Probably because he uses painting as a lie. That often works.

“No. I had to do it twice. I was hurrying because we’re having a date but I guess hurrying will never work for me.”

“You should’ve just taken your time. There’s no point in hurrying when the result isn’t good.”

“Are you lecturing me again?”

“It was a piece of advice you jerk.”

“You like calling me a jerk. I don’t approve that ugly nickname.”

“Well I didn’t approve princess but you still call me that.”

“Well at least princess is a cute nickname.”

“Well jerk is a cute nickname too.”

Well, your argument is getting invalid.”

“Just shut up and drive.”

Krystal once again looked outside the window; a sign that she doesn’t want to talk anymore. Leo smiled looking at her. Like a princess she does everything she wants.

He stops the car at a nearby restaurant. They could be called a regular customer here because they always come here when Krystal visits Leo. And lately she’s been visiting him quite a lot.

“Did you have lunch?” Krystal asks Leo as they sat down. He didn’t answer because no, of course he skipped lunch. He had to paint.

“You shouldn’t have skip lunch you moron. How can you find inspiration when you’re hungry?”

“You’re calling me a lot of names today.”

“Maybe they can all be your nicknames from now on.”

“I can find inspiration in food then. That’ll tell Mr. Kim that I’m hungry.” Leo avoided her insults. She pouted and was about to make another remark when the food came.

“Saved by the bell. Or should I say these marvelous delicious looking foods.” Leo his tongue while Krystal rolled her eyes.

Putting all his favorite side dish to his side and not eating until he starts eating. Krystal was being Krystal again. Pouring the water without him asking and ordering extra rice for him because she knows he wants more. She knows him well, she understands him more than anyone has ever understand him. These two need no words to communicate to each other.

“Yah, eat slowly will you? The foods are not gonna run away.” Krystal starts to nag as she casually wipes his mouth.

“I’m sorry okay. It’s just that Mr. Kim sent me to the street and there were food everywhere. But he took my wallet so I couldn’t buy anything and just paint my way through the day.”

“He’s too strict sometimes.”

“Yeah, but you get used to it.”

“That’s because you like him so much. He’s so strict. Is it even normal to do all those things?”

“Well, he’s not exactly normal. He’s a master. A true artist.”

“Sounds like you’re worshipping him.”

“I respect him.”

“Sure you do.”

“How’s that piece you’re working on again?” asks Leo wanting to change the subject to her. Krystal raised her eyebrows.

“You remembered that?” Krystal actually liked the fact that he actually pays attention to what she says.

“Of course. It’s the second piece you’re doing on your own right? The first one is already sold.”

“Er, yeah. They wanted another one so I’m working hard on it.”

“Don’t pressure yourself. You did the first one without thinking much and it turned out great. If you think about it too much you might be too calculating.”

“Are you lecturing me now?”

“It was a piece of advice princess. C’mon, we’re done.”

Krystal left the place with an annoyed pout. Leo held Krystal’s hand as they crossed the street to his apartment, like he always does.

“You’re gonna like this one. It’s totally your style.” Leo said as they entered his apartment. Krystal automatically sat on her side of the couch like she always does as Leo entered what she called his ‘Painting store room’ because that’s where all his paintings are. They just cleaned the room not too long ago because Krystal nagged him too much about how unorganized and messy things were.

“Here. What do you think?” asks Leo. He gets nervous when asking other people about his works. But Krystal is a reliable commenter because she’s always honest when telling people what she thinks. So he’ll know if she really likes it or not.

“It’s a piano. Who’s playing it? Where were you?” Krystal took the painting into her arms to observe it more. She rarely does this so she must really like it, thought Leo. He was very much happy with her response.

“I was in a park. Not so crowded. There’s a piano in the middle and you can play it anytime you want.”

“Whoa, that’s actually really cool. So anyone can play it?”

“It is. And yeah, anyone. I didn’t know who actually played it at the time.”

“Was the person good?”

“Er, I don’t think I’m qualified enough to judge Krys. But yeah, pretty good in my opinion.”

“Better than me?”

“No. You’re better.” Krystal smiled.

“Hey, I’ll take you there if you want.” She lit up.

“Oh, really? That’d be great. I’d love that.” She smiled wider.

“By the way, I’m keeping this one.” She said again, wrapping the painting back. Leo smiled. “Sure.” He said simply. He didn’t know, but Krystal more than just like his paintings. She adores them. She thinks they’re magnificent. He makes everything he paints come to life and she like that about him.

“Okay, movie time. What did you bring?” asks Leo as he takes the seat next to Krystal, arms around her shoulder but not really hugging her.

***

            When Krystal went home for the day, refusing a lift from Leo like she always does; Leo’s thought came back to Krystal’s odd behavior.

            It was true that they’re not in what people call a ‘serious relationship’ but Krystal doesn’t avoid someone for no reason. Leo was starting to get curious, he was sure he didn’t do anything wrong. Is she having trouble with something? If she is, then it was no mystery to why she didn’t tell him. She keeps lots of things to herself. Although Leo likes the idea that he’s one of the few people that she lets into her life. Come to think of it, he never saw her hanging out with anyone beside him. She had a few friends at school that she eats lunch with but he never saw them again. He hopes that she’s okay; it’d be good if she confide in him. But that seems a bit too much, he barely even manage to make the girl smile.

            Leo sighs heavily as he lay in bed that night. Krystal has been in his mind a lot lately. He wants to see more of her, spend time with her more. But he just doesn’t know how to do that without it appearing too sudden. He knows he’s falling for her, but is she falling for him?

***

            The taxi dropped Krystal off. Her mind had drift off again. Leo must be curious about her sudden change of behavior. She’s not surprised. But he did shock her with his sudden moves. She always thought that he was being nice because he was playing the role as her boyfriend. But the recent events seem to change her mind a bit. They had a ‘couple’ tag among his friends, but she sometimes doesn’t know what they really are. It’s not like they’re having something serious and are getting married or something. They’re not ‘playing’ with each other like most would guess. So, what are they exactly? Krystal shook her head, ugh, thinking deeply is not good. It’s making her head ache. Throwing her bag to the couch, she entered her room and flopped onto her bed. Sleep is much much better than thinking.

            But even as she lay in bed, she didn’t fall asleep immediately. Her mind somehow drifts off to Leo, again. As much as she doesn’t want to think about it, she can’t really ignore it forever. 

 

 

 

A/n: I know Leo can't paint lol. I just wanted to tell you guys that Leo wasn't originally planned to be in this story.The male was supposed to be an OC but I changed my mind at the last minute. Like I replied in the comment below, I don't ship them (Leo x Krystal) in real life. I'm just using their names. I hope you enjoy this chapter, thank you for subscribing and that upvote, haha. I did not expect anyone to upvote so early or to receive any upvotes at all. If you have anything to say, feel free to leave comments. Thanks for stopping by! (:

ps: If you ever see 'Ren' in the story, that's supposed to be Leo. I've only been changing his name and I might miss some. Be that in this or any other upcoming chapter. So yeah, heads up for that one.