Chapter thirteen

Hush.

The girls arrived at the hospital with Luna in tears and Sulli crying. Amber was consoling both of them while Victoria spoke to Krystal’s mother.

“Of course I remember you. I remember all of you.” Mrs. Jung glanced at the others behind Victoria. “I’m really glad you all stayed as friends.”

“Are we allowed to see her?” Victoria asks. Mrs. Jung nods, “Why of course you can. Go ahead.” Victoria turns to her friends and nods her head. But before Victoria could follow suit, Mrs. Jung stops her. “Do you know the guy though? Jung…something?”

“Leo? Do you mean Jung Taekwoon?” Mrs. Jung nods at the name. “Yes, I believe that’s his name. Who is he? He’s not just a friend, now is he?”

Victoria didn’t answer right away. “No… You could say he’s a special kind of friend. Maybe you can ask Soojung, omoni- I mean, Mrs. Jung.”

“Omoni is still fine, Song Qian ah.” Victoria widens her eyes when she was called by her Chinese name. Maybe Soojung’s mum didn’t change so much after all. “And yes, I should ask Soojung directly. Thank you. You can go see her now, dear.” Victoria bows her head and left. Soojung’s mum looked and sounded really tired, she noticed. Maybe after all these, everything can go back to the way it was. She has a feeling things would turn out for the better.

“Unnie, Soojung’s awake!” Sulli says the moment Victoria entered. Victoria fastens her pace and neared Krystal’s bed. She grabs the jug on the table and poured the water into a glass. “Want a drink?” she asks but didn’t wait for an answer and gave the glass to Krystal anyway.

Krystal slowly sits down and drinks from the glass Victoria handed her, muttering a soft, “Thank you.”

“Do you remember what happened?” Amber asks, standing in front of the bed. Krystal struggled to remember. “The last thing I remembered was flashing camera lights….and then a lot of questions were thrown.. and…everything went black afterwards.”

“The doctor said you passed out from exhaustion and lack of sleep.” Victoria tells her, the concern evident in her voice.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Sulli sniffed her nose, pouting at Krystal.

Krystal hung her head guiltily, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know it was this bad.” She said honestly. Amber sat down on the bed and hugged her, “It’s okay, we’re here. Don’t keep it all to yourself now.” Luna too gave Krystal a tight hug, “Amber unnie is right, don’t you dare try to bottle up your feelings.” Krystal gave them a grateful smile and told them not to worry.

They talked some more, making her feel better before the doctor came to check on her. She saw her family members entering and avoided everyone’s eyes. Victoria was quick to lend them some space, even though Krystal might not like the idea, she still need her family. Whether she admits it or not, Krystal still wants her family’s warmth. And so Victoria brought the girls out, promising Krystal that they’d be back tomorrow.

Krystal watches them go out, almost wanting to follow them. She didn’t want to face her family…yet. Actually, she can’t face her family at all. When her father asks the doctor some question about her health, her mother made her way to her bed and started to rub her hands softly. Just like she did when Krystal was younger, the rubbing made all the nervousness and even the pain goes away. And it still worked till today. Krystal did feel better and she held her mum’s hand tighter.

Daniel stood there, face full of concern but he didn’t say anything. He can’t even bring himself to ask if Krystal was okay. It was clear what they did to her. She’s the youngest but having to handle everything on her own. He was the eldest and he wasn’t there when she needed him most. When all she need is her brother by her side. Her family. Daniel felt so guilty he almost left the room.

When the doctor left them to talk to Krystal, the room fell silent. Krystal couldn’t even look up and just continue to stare at the floor. “…Soojung?” Her mum spoke, softly. This time, she didn’t sound fake, this time Krystal felt her real emotions. Krystal slowly looks up to her, “Are you okay now?” Her mum asks. Krystal bites her lip and gave them a nod. Still not talking. “What’s with all the exhaustion talk and lack of sleep? Are you working too hard these days?” Her father spoke next, he tried not to let it show, but he was clearly worried. Krystal didn’t answer. Instead, Daniel’s voice was heard, “It’s us, isn’t it?”

Their parents shared a glance, her mother squeeze her hand tighter. “Is that true, honey? Did we do this to you?” Krystal’s eyes started b with tears again. She closed her eyes and the tears fell, silencing everyone again. Daniel grips his fist, trying hard not to cry at how vulnerable his sister looks like now. So weak, so fragile. And to think it was their entire fault.

Everybody looked up when the door was pushed opened, revealing a panting Jessica. “What happened?” She asks, running to give Krystal a hug before pulling away and looking at her face. It bewildered everyone, mostly Krystal. “I took the first plane here the moment I saw the news. Are you okay? Is it serious?” Jessica kept asking, her eyes scanning Krystal’s face and body worriedly. Eyes furrowed with concern when she noticed how pale her sister is, the color drained from her face.

Instead of answering, Krystal stared at her. “You guys still…care?” She says in a small voice, barely audible. But everyone heard her, and it broke their heart at how uncertain she sounds.

“What do you mean dear? Of course we care, of course we do.” Her mother stood up and gave her hug. The hug too, feels sincere this time.

“But…why did you leave? You guys never came back…You and dad are getting a divorce.” Krystal looks at her parents. “Oppa and unnie never return any of my calls… it’s like I don’t exist…” This confession from her seemed to surprise her dad and sister most. Daniel just hung his head low, her mum started to cry as she continues to hug her.

The doctor came to tell them it was time to leave. Daniel was last to do so, surprisingly. Krystal raised her eyebrows when he neared her. “I’m sorry, we all are.” He spoke for the second time. “I knew we hurt you at some point, but I didn’t know it was this…serious. I tried to go back to the way I was before. I tried but…it’s hard. Having Eunhee cheating on me, the thought of her leaving the kids with me. I just…” He choked on his words. His excuses are stupid, he knows they are. But he doesn’t have anything else to say.

Krystal grabs his hand, the soft gesture surprising him. He thought she was going to hate them after all these. “It’s okay, oppa.” She gave him a small smile. Surprising him still. “At least you’re coming back to me.” She stared at him with her eyes, “…right?” Daniel’s lips finally formed a smile, “of course.” He bends down to hug her.

***

Krystal did get better. With her family and friends by her side, she’s coping with the stress better. It wasn’t until she arrived home (as in her family’s mansion since she went back with them) when she finally read the news. That was when Leo finally made his way into her thoughts. She has been so busy taking care of herself and spending time with her family that she forgot the other reason why she was in the hospital; Leo.

Did he leave? Does he know what happened to her? Was he there when she passed out? ……Did he really leave?

Krystal didn’t know. Does she even want to know? Forget that, she does want to know. She needs to know. Do her friends know? Should she call one of his friends? Maybe she should.

But she didn’t have to.

Cause Leo showed up at dinner on the day she was discharged.

 

 

 

A/n: I'm back.Um, sorry I've been away. I'll try to update soon. Hang in there, it's almost done!