Chapter five

Hush.

“Unnie, I’m telling you. Remember my friend Leo? He’s dating Soojung. Yes, our Soojung.” Luna was talking on the phone.

            “Are you sure? I mean, there might be a lot of other Soojung out there.” The girl at the other line says.

            “No, I really think it’s her. I mean, how many Jung Soo Jung can there be? You said you’ll be coming to Korea soon, can’t we just go and check it out?”

            “Well, I am worried about her too. But… what if she really doesn’t want to be found? What if she’s done with us?”

            “I still feel guilty about the whole thing, don’t you?”

            “I do Sunyoung. I’m pretty sure the others feel the same way too. Fine, I’ll ring Vic unnie and tell her about it. She’ll know what to do. She’s coming back too.”

            “Alright, I’m meeting Sulli today so I’ll ask her what she thinks about it.”

            “Don’t do anything by yourselves okay? Wait for us.”

            “I don’t promise anything but okay.”

            “Sunyoung.” Amber warns her.

            “Okay, okay.”

            Luna flops on her bed after the call. Hearing Krystal’s name again triggered her memory. She never did want to forget the whole incident; she just wanted to get over it. It still gave her an unsettling feeling. She can’t change what happened, but she’s determine to try and make things right. The sound of her ringtone made her sit up.

            “Yebuseyo?”

            “Unnie? I’m outside. I knocked but there’s no answer.”

            “Oh, sorry Ssul. I was er, in the toilet. I’ll go open the door now.”

            Luna jump off her bed and rush to open the door, inviting Sulli in. Sulli frown the moment she saw Luna. “What?” Luna asks.

            “You’re still in your pajamas.” Sulli told her, crossing her arms.

            “I’ll be ready in a jippy.” Sulli pouted. “I’ll hurry. Don’t worry, we won’t miss the movie. Go and get something to eat first, okay? There’s chocolate and cheese cake in the fridge.” At the mention of food, Sulli brightened up. “You better hurry unnie!” She warned Luna one last time before entering the kitchen to hunt down food.

***

             “Krystal? Wake up, its noon.” Leo wouldn’t wake her up if she didn’t have gastric. She can’t just skip eating.

            “Let me sleep some more.” Krystal groaned pulling the blankets closer to her.

            “It’s noon Krys.” Leo repeated.

            “Mhhmmmm…” The princess was not budging. The next move was completely unplanned. Spontaneous even.

            “WHOOAAA~! LEOOO!” Krystal’s high pitch scream was accompanied by very loud laughter and giggles. Leo had just pick Krystal up from the bed, spinning her around.

            “Yahh! You’re making my head dizzy~!” Leo put her back on the bed and began tickling. Laughing and wide awake now, Krystal pulled him on the bed with her and tried to tackle him. The unexpected move worked, giving her the upper hand. It was her turn to tickle him.

            “OKAY I GIVE UP! KRYS STOP!” Leo was indeed very ticklish but is also not fighting Krystal on purpose. She enjoys winning after all.

            “Say the magic word!” Leo rolled his eyes. “You’re so cliché-” Krystal tickled him harder. Tears were now forming on Leo’s eyelid. “Okay, OKAY! PLEASE STOP!” Krystal laughs, satisfied. She flops onto the bed next to him, falling to his arms.

            “Heol, you made me cry.” Leo said with a chuckle, wiping his tears away. Krystal gave him a look.

            “Hey, you started this.” She told him. He laughed at her respond.

            “Fine, maybe I did.”

            “Maybe?” Krystal took the nearest pillow and smacks him with it.

            “Okay. I did. Satisfied?” Krystal threw the pillow away and smiled. She is indeed, satisfied.

            None of them wanted to move from the bed. In fact, they were so comfortable that even Leo wanted to just sleep there the whole day. But then he would be sabotaging his own mission; making sure Krystal eats. After a few minutes, Leo pulled Krystal with him when he stood up.

            “Come on princess. You gotta eat.” Krystal rolled her eyes but agreed.

            “I’ll go get ready.” She said, going inside the bathroom. Leo smiled looking at her. Did their relationship move further today? It’s growing every day, that, he knows. There’s no denying it. Things are bound to get serious soon. It scares him, but he was excited for the change too.

            Krystal was ready after half an hour. “Where are we going to eat? I thought you’d cook.”

            “I was. But the weather is great today. I think it’s better for us to go out.” Leo opened the car door for her as she entered his car. Leo was right, the weather is great. It was sunny, but not too hot.

            They ate at a restaurant near the park. Planning on going for a walk after eating their brunch. And like always, the two didn’t talk while eating. The silent meal passed.

            Outside the restaurant, Leo offered his hand for Krystal to take. Why not take it a step further? Krystal didn’t hesitate as she took his hand and they walked side by side, enjoying the breeze and the sun.

            “Oh, ice cream!” Krystal exclaims with a smile.

            “You’re such a kid today.” Leo told her as they walk over to the ice cream vendor. Krystal ignored him. He’s buying her food; she needs to be nice to get the food. Krystal sighs happily as she ate her ice cream. They were now sitting on a bench; under a tree that was shading them from the sun.

            “You like the ice cream that much huh?” Leo asks her. From the way he sees it, Krystal likes food, a lot.

            “Hey, food brings you happiness.” She told him, her ice cream. “Aren’t you going to eat yours?” she asks him.

            “What? Do you want mine too? Heol, how can you stay so slim if you eat so much?” Krystal gave him another look.

            “Girls have another tummy for desserts okay.” She said defensively. Leo shook his head with a smile and ate his ice cream quickly before it melted, or before Krystal eats it. An hour passed just by sitting there and watching people pass by. Krystal took out her earphones and shared it with Leo.

            “You listen to a lot of genre.” Leo commented. He read somewhere that you can know a person through the songs they listen too. So if a person listens to everything, what does that mean?

            “Yeah, I pretty much listen to everything.” Krystal said; humming the songs they’re listening too.

            “Do you want to listen to my playlist too?” Leo asks, taking out his phone. Krystal nods, also curious to know what type of songs he listens too.


            “Mmmm, ballads.” Krystal commented with a chuckle.

            “Are you teasing my taste for music right now?”

            “No, silly. With your demeanor, ballad might be the most unexpected genre for you.”

            “True. But we both know that we shouldn’t be judging people by their looks, huh?” Krystal nods, agreeing.

            “You’ve been there too, I suppose?” She asks.

            “Yep. People thinking I’m rude. All the misunderstandings. I’ve been there alright.” The two sighs, at the same time.

            “. But it helps sometimes, especially when I’m really in a bad mood and doesn’t want to interact with stupid human beings.” Leo smiled.

            “True. We don’t even have to talk for them to leave.” Krystal laughs at that. They finish listening to their songs and stood up.

            “Where do we go now?” Krystal asks.

            “Where do you want to go?” Leo asks.

            “We can go watch a movie. Is there anything nice to watch these days?” Krystal said after thinking about it. They were walking to his car now.

            “I’m sure there must be something nice to watch. We can just decide what to watch when we get there.”

            Leo opened the door for Krystal once again and drove his car to the nearest cinema.

            After picking the movie, Leo bought them popcorns and juices.

            “Are you sure you can eat popcorns after that big meal you ate? And not to mention the ice cream?” Leo asks as he paid for the snacks. He waited for an answer but got none. He looked beside him but noticed that Krystal wasn’t standing beside him anymore. “Krystal?” he called out. Popcorn and juice on his hands, he went to find her.

            “Oh, there you ar- Oh, Sunyoung noona?” Leo watches as the two girls stood there facing each other. Krystal turns to him, “You know her?” she asks. The atmosphere had dropped. There was something wrong going on. Leo remembered Luna saying that she was friends with Krystal, once.

            “She’s my friend.” Leo told her.

            “Friend, huh?” There was no mistake in that glare Krystal just gave to Luna. Luna suddenly found dry, unable to speak.

            “Unnie! What’s taking you so- Soojung ah.” Sulli who just arrived at the scene was frozen just like Luna. Leo raised his eyebrows, what is happening here?

            “Oh, you’re here too. Are the four of you still going strong?” Krystal’s voice was turned ice cold. Luna and Sulli gulped.

            “It’s not like that Sooj-”

            “Don’t call me that. It’s Krystal to you, now.” Krystal cut Sulli off before she can finish. Leo just stood there, not knowing what to do.

            “There was a misunderstanding. You see, we didn’t know.” Luna continued after Sulli was cut off, looking hurt. Krystal stood up straighter.

            “You never know anything.” She said, turning to leave.

            “It’s not fair!” Sulli suddenly shouted. Luna caught hold of her arm, asking her to stop but Sulli shrug her away.

            “It’s not fair.” She repeated, empathizing each word. Krystal turned back, her look daring Sulli to continue.

            “Like Sunyoung unnie said, we didn’t know. You never told us. It was a misunderstanding. We’re sorry.” Sulli was suddenly close to tears. Krystal ignored that, pretending not to care.

            “Sooju- I mean Krystal, don’t be like this. Don’t do this to us. We’re your friends-” Krystal scoffed, making Luna stop.

            “Friends? You left me. You all left me. Such good friends you are.” Not wanting to hear more from them Krystal turned around again and left the place.

            “Soojung-ah!” The two friends called her to no avail.

            “Taekwoon-ah, please go make sure she’s okay.” Luna told him. Leo could see the tears in her eyes already.

            “You and I are gonna have to talk, okay noona?” Leo quickly left to look for Krystal. He didn’t have to go far though, Krystal was already standing beside his car waiting for him. She knows he’ll come for her.

            “Still not going to your place?” Leo asks, deciding that he’ll ask Luna about their whole friendship thing. Krystal shook her head. It seems like the silence help her clear her mind, even if it’s only a little bit.

            “Butler Lee is still calling me, asking me why I’m not there. I want to stay at your place again. Is that okay?”

            “Of course princess. You can stay for as long as you want to.” Leo reached out for her hand and squeezed it softly. It’s like a secret way to ask her if she’s okay or telling her that he’s there for her. Seeing that she doesn’t mind, he took her hand again and kissed the back of her hand, looking at her affectionately. Krystal, getting the message smiled and lean over to his shoulder. Leo didn’t let go of her hand until they reached his place.

***

            “YOU WHAT??” Victoria and Amber’s eyes flew wide open when Luna and Sulli told them what happened a few days ago. They thought it would be better for them to wait until their unnies arrives before telling them. They were now currently at Victoria’s condominium that she bought so she can stay here whenever she visits Korea.

            “She really said that?” Victoria asks, clearly hurt. Luna and Sulli nodded solemnly.

            “I think Amber unnie is right after all. Maybe she’s never going to forgive us for what happened.” Luna said teary eyed.

            “We really need to talk to her and explain things.” Amber said. “We can’t just let the misunderstanding go on forever. It was really hard after what happened.”

            “I know. But how exactly do we fix things? From the looks of it, she doesn’t even want to hear us out. We don’t even know where she is, again!” Sulli really looked like she was about to give up on her childhood best friend.

            “Amber’s right. We need to explain things to her. We just need to figure out how.” Victoria said, already trying to figure out a solution. Just then, Luna’s phone rang.

            “Oh, Taekwoon-ah? What is it?”

            “Noona, we need to talk. I want to know what happened. Are you free right now?” Luna looked at her friends.

            “Who is it?” Amber mouthed to her.

            “Leo.” Luna mouthed back.

            “Who?” Victoria and Sulli asks Amber.

            “It’s Leo. The guy Soojung is dating.” Amber answered.

            “Girls, he wants to meet me.” Luna told them. Victoria got an idea and lit up. “Go ahead, tell him you’ll meet him.” She tells Luna. Luna raised her eyebrows skeptically.

            “Noona? Hello?” Luna was taking too long to answer.

            “Oh, Taekwoon. Okay, I’ll, er, meet you. Our café?” Luna said, still wondering why Victoria asked her to agree.

            “Yes, I’ll meet you there in an hour.”

            “Okay. See you.” They hung up.

            “Why am I agreeing to meet him again? You two just arrived.” Luna asks out loud. Amber and Sulli were both confused too. Victoria on the other hand, smiled.

            “We’re all going to meet him. Come on, we’re going to ask for his help.” She said with confident smile.

***

            Leo was the one who arrived first in the café. After a few minutes of waiting, Leo heard Luna’s voice. He looked up from his phone and was surprised to see three other girls with her. He recognize one, she was with Luna that evening. She was the tallest of the bunch. The other two looked different, one looked Chinese and the other one had a boyish haircut and dressed like one too. Leo held his poker face, raising an eyebrow to Luna. The girls weren’t at least bothered by his stone cold face; Luna already warned them that he was similar to Krystal. Very similar at that.

            “Taekwoon. Meet my friends, Victoria, Amber and Sulli.” The three smiled at him but he was still looking at Luna. Luna nervously looked at Victoria, asking her to speak.

            “You wanted to know more about us and Soojung?” Victoria voiced out. Leo nodded cautiously, still not aware of what’s happening. The girls sat down.

            “We can help you with that. But we also have a favor to ask.” There was something about the way Victoria said that made Leo know that she was the leader of the group. Leo loosened up.

            “And why would I help you?” he asks.

            “Well, if you want to know. We’re actually best friends with Soojung. Sulli here is with her since childhood.” Amber spoke up. Sulli was nodding beside her.

            “You see, Taekwoon-ah. This is all a misunderstanding. Soojung was mistaken about something.” Luna told him, looking him in the eye. Leo knew then that they were serious about this. Luna for one can never lie to him while looking at him in the eye like that.

            “Tell me what happened.” He said. The girls look at each other before starting.

            “I’ll make this short.” Victoria started. “I was leaving. Amber was leaving. Luna was leaving. Sulli was leaving. We were all leaving. She had asked us to stay, no, she begged for us to stay. But we just thought she was being dramatic. You see, I was going back to China, Amber to America and Sulli was transferring her school to Busan. We were all going back to our respective hometown. Luna just graduated, she got a scholarship in Japan.” Victoria paused, glancing at her friends who were all looking down. “About Soojung. We didn’t know… We really didn’t know that her family was leaving her too. We were all able to guess what was happening to her family, but we didn’t know they would actually leave Krystal alone in Korea with just a butler to take care of her. I… I got angry with her constant asking, always begging me to stay with her when I already told her that I have to get back to my country. I didn’t even say goodbye when I left. I thought she would understand, I was planning on visiting, but I couldn’t get in touch with her after that.” Victoria finished her side of the story.

            “I was also mad at her.” Amber continued. Leo’s eyes wandered to her. “I was mad at why she couldn’t understand that I want to go back to my family in America. Even told her that she can’t be selfish, I told her… I told her that I have a life outside of Korea. That there are other people that I care about beside her. She was the one who got angry next, and she began shouting. I couldn’t take it anymore and left. Just like Vic unnie, I didn’t even say goodbye. I also couldn’t contact her after that. She changed her number too.” Amber avoided Leo’s eyes that were looking at her.

            “I was in Japan. I left before all of them did. Soojung can’t even look at me in the eyes to ask me to stay. I knew there was something wrong. But I didn’t ask. I didn’t ask…” Luna was looking anywhere but Leo. Too embarrass, who could do that to a friend? Apparently, she did. “She called me many times. She wanted to talk. She just wanted to talk but I, I was too busy. Too busy with my new school, new friends, my so called new life. I barely gave my attention to her. She stopped calling eventually, and I didn’t even notice.” Luna looked down at her hands. “That’s where you met Onew, right?” Luna nodded, still not looking at Leo who asked the question. Leo then directed his gaze to Sulli.

            “I…” There were already tears flowing down Sulli’s face. She hastily wiped them away. “I didn’t know she needed us that much. I always knew she likes to keep things to herself, and as friends, we should be able to read her. I just couldn’t figure out why she didn’t let me leave with my family who were, at that time, planning to return to Busan. I didn’t want to stay without my family, I refused her (Krystal) many times. She said I can stay at her house. We could go to school together. But… I wanted my family. I was selfish. I didn’t even want to hear her out, because I might change my mind. She was my best friend… We were together since childhood. And I left her. Just like that. And when I tried to contact her again, she ignored me. I gave up. I know I shouldn’t, I know I should’ve tried harder. But this is Soojung we’re talking about. It’s not much of an excuse but, I tried really hard to talk to her again. But all she gave me was the cold shoulder.” Sulli said, more tears flowing on her face. She didn’t bother wiping them away anymore.

            “So you see, Leo-shi, we were all at fault, yes. We didn’t know Soojung needed us. We left her when she needed us the most. If only she talked to us more, no, if only we talked to her more. We could’ve known. She’s having a hard time because of us. And even if she never wants to talk to us again, we want to tell her the truth. That we didn’t leave on purpose. Or because that she doesn’t have a family and we don’t want to be friends with her anymore. It was a coincidence that we all left at the same time, we did not plan it.” Victoria was sincere as she spoke to Leo, this time meeting his eyes. “We are still her friends, even if she doesn’t want us to be her friends. We still care for her, deeply, sincerely, even if she doesn’t care. We just want to talk to her and make sure she’s alright. Can you help us with that, please?” This time all four of them look at him with hopeful eyes after Victoria finished speaking. Just like a leader she started the story and also ended it.

            Leo sighs. That was a long story. Leo was wrong about one thing, Krystal did have true friends. It’s just her that didn’t realize it. He wants to help, but how? Like Sulli said, she is Krystal; it’s hard to change her mind over something. And if it happened when Luna graduated, that means that it happens over two years ago. And from the looks of it, none of them are over it.  Not even Krystal based on her reaction when she bumped into Luna and Sulli at the cinema. Leo looked somewhere else other than the girls’ hopeful eyes and froze when he saw Krystal at the table next to them.

            “Taekwoon?” Luna called him. He didn’t answer. Krystal is here, and she heard everything. Luna followed his gaze and gasps.

            “Soojung-ah…” she said, the other girls were just as surprised as she was at Krystal’s presence. They must’ve missed her while being too engrossed in their stories. Krystal was wearing a hat to cover her face, but she was now looking at them. Wearing a look that is very hard to read.

            Before anyone could react any further, Krystal stood up and left the place hurriedly.

“Krystal!” Leo called after her. The girls followed Leo outside. But then it started raining. Just great.

            “Unnie, what do we do now? Krystal heard us.” Sulli said, her voice nearly drowning in the rain. Amber shook her hair in frustration. How can they miss Krystal? She was right beside them. Luna buried her face in her hands, wondering what the hell is going to happen next. If Krystal gets mad at Leo too for meeting with them, who will help them now? Victoria heaves a big sigh, ushering the girls inside to shield them from the rain which is now pouring heavily.

            “Well, that was what we wanted to do anyway, right? Letting Krystal know the truth and how we felt.” Victoria told them. Sure, that was what they wanted to do. But not like this. Definitely not like this.

 

 

A/N: Okay, I'm not really sure what to feel about this chapter. Er, what do you feel? Haha. Sorry for the late update. Thank you for all the new subscribers. Means a lot. Just comment on your question, or maybe if you have a request on something, I can add it into the story? But no promises. But request on it anyway, a cameo or something. I'll try my best to make it happen. Thank you for stopping by (: