Chapter ten

Hush.

Everything just went from bad to worse.

            Leo was avoiding her.

            Krystal was ignoring him.

            And their friends had had enough. Luna called N, saying they should do something about it. So N gathered the boys, and Luna brought the girls. They met up in a restaurant around lunch time.

            After a brief introduction, they went straight to the point.

            “Leo’s not being himself,” N started. “He’s doing badly in his art class and was even absent for more than one day. And that never happens. He goes to class even when he’s sick.”

            “Krystal isn’t doing any better.” Amber was the one to speak on behalf of the girls. “She’s stuck on her third piece. And I saw her break down in the middle of doing it, it’s quite bad really.”

            “What do you think we should do?” Ken asks what everyone was thinking about. Everyone sighs. What can they do for the stubborn couple? Not many know how the relationship works, including their close friends. But then after a few minutes, Victoria sat up straighter.

            “We can corner them.” She suggested. All eyes were on her now, she continued. “You know, lock them up in a room until they let everything out.”

            “Will that really work? What if it just makes things worse?” Ravi voiced out. Victoria shrugs, “Things will end between them if none of them makes a move. Things will get worse either way.” Everyone thought about it, she has a point.

            “But what if none of them talks?” Sulli asks.

            “Well, we still have to see. Maybe it won’t hurt to try?” Luna was seriously thinking that there is no other way.

            “N-ssi, does Leo really have no plans on trying to fix things?” Victoria asks. N took a deep breath.

            “Please, we can drop the formalities. I would like it for us to stay as friends.” He says. “And I’ve talked to him, but he’s avoiding the subject. He never meets any of us anymore. Is Krystal really ignoring this whole thing?” He asks.

            “Soojung is wearing a mask at the moment. She pretends that she doesn’t care but we all know she does.” Says Sulli. “And Amber unnie isn’t the only one that saw her break down, I saw her crying silently last night. We really do need to do something about it.”

            “Are we going to do what Victoria noona suggested then?” Hongbin asks. They never thought that things will turn out this way. They thought the two have gone pass this phase of their relationship but it turns out that things were just starting up.

            “Well, unless anyone else has a better idea?” Hyuk says. Everyone looked at each other and shakes their head.

            “It’s hard with their personalities. None want to take the first step. What we’re doing is right, right?” Luna said, she was hesitating now; If this was the right thing to do or not.

            “We’ve gone this far, I think we should try it.” Ken says. Amber nods, “Ken’s right, it wouldn’t hurt to try.”

            So after the team discuss on how they were going to make the two talk to each other. How can there be a relationship if the couple doesn’t talk to each other? And short goodnight texts don’t count. After two more hours of being in the restaurant discussing, the team finally form a plan; A plan that either will succeed, or fail. They just have to make the two meet, the rest is up to the couple themselves.

***

            Krystal was staring at her piano again. Her mind is blank. Nothing. There is nothing on her mind. She can’t make new music like this. She will never finish her piece. Why does everything have to be so hard?

            Tears were forming on her eyelids and once again she found herself crying a bit too easily these days. She just can’t help it. It has been 7 days.

            7 days since she last saw him.

            7 days since she heard his voice.

            7 days since she started ignoring him.

            7 days of sudden loneliness.

            She missed him. There’s no doubt about that. But what can she actually do about it? Miyoung’s words are getting to her. The surprised and disappointed tone his father used when he thought that his son has turned down the scholarship is playing again and again in her mind. There’s no other reason to it, right? She’s making him stay, pulling him back. There is no other explanation. At least none that Krystal can think of. She has ignored his goodnight texts by not replying. She has ignored N’s message about him being a mess. She’s ignoring everything that has to do with him because she simply doesn’t know what else to do.

            She’s already playing the scenario where one day Leo regrets his decision and blames her for it. Where she’ll cry every night because of the guilt she’s feeling. Where Leo will finally leave her, and never come back. Breaking his promise. It’s not like she doesn’t trust him… But everyone that had left her never came back (excluding her friends after two whole years). Her father went on a so called trip and kept making more trips till he never stayed more than 3 days at home. Her mother and sister is always overseas they might as well live there. Her brother took over the business, got married and had decided to live in Japan. Her whole family is gone. Each and every one of them. None stayed for her. None return to make sure she was okay. For a long time she was the only trying to stay in touch, until she too gave up. Not her parents who were supposed to raised her. Not her brother who used to be so overprotective and sacrifice his image to play dress up games with her. Not even her sister who she thought will always be there for her no matter what.

            What would be so different with Leo? What would make him return to her if her own family didn’t? Okay, so maybe it was a little bit about her trust issues. But you can’t blame her too much. She once had a happy family. A family who always took care of each other, who loved each other so much they are always putting their family members first. There was a time where fame and money didn’t really mean much. But things changed, and it was not for the better. And Krystal is afraid that would happen to Leo too. She’s not that special, what if he finds something else in Paris. What if he finds someone else there? Krystal shakes her head at the thought, she’s trying very hard to convince herself that Leo is different. He is not like her family members… He can’t be…

            Krystal slammed her hands on the keyboards, turning into a sobbing mess. She has never imagined life without Leo, but if it will make his dreams come true, shouldn’t she just let him go? It’s only Paris, only three years…right?  They can still keep in touch. Technology is growing every day. They don’t have to be so dramatic about it…right? But what about her school? She can’t take leaves, and neither can he. What if he suddenly decides to stay there? Only coming back to Korea to do his military service and leave again? What if he never comes back? What if… What if…

            Krystal buried her face in her hands. Not knowing that Amber has been watching her. This is bad, this is really really bad.

 

But, Leo was worse. Way worse. He has lost track on what he’s trying to do. Heck, he has lost track of life altogether. He has not only been failing his classes, he can’t seem to paint a proper painting anymore. He almost never go out of his apartment and not letting anybody in. Not his friends, not even his parents and definitely not his sister.

He’s been drinking. Yes, even in broad daylight. He has never drank so much in his life. But he needs the alcohol, he says. He doesn’t want to think anymore. Thinking hurts. It hurts too much. He wants Krystal. He just wants his Soojung. The girl who looks so damn cold but can nag like an old grandmother. The girl who made his heart beat faster for the first time in his life. The one who had always taken good care of him, whether it was obvious or discreetly. The girl who can make him smile just by thinking about her. The first girl he fell for, his first love. But he also wants his childhood dream to come true.

He thought he can make it. Be successful in Korea. He thought he didn’t need the scholarship to succeed. But his sister has proven him wrong. Miyoung visited him that day he last met Krystal. And her words are still ringing in his ears.

So they don’t have enough money, he can work. So what if he has to juggle his art classes all over again? It can’t be that bad, he’s been through it after all. He’ll do everything he can to have his dreams come true and be beside Krystal too. He has sacrificed so much for his dreams, so so much. Heck his parents had sacrificed a lot for him too.

 “Think about mum and dad Taekwoon. You heard dad, you can’t turn this down. You don’t want to disappoint them.”

That was the last straw. Of course he doesn’t want to be a disappointment. That’s why he had worked extra hard for all those years; Juggling his grades and art class. Determined to be able to pay back all those money his parents had used on him. Art had saved his life, literally. There was a reason why he stayed in his room rather than finding friends to play with him. There is a reason why his room is full or paintings and not toys and video games. Art was his everything and still is. Or is it?

But what about his parents? His family? He can only do art, he doesn’t have any other qualifications. His grades are average, some even below average. He was never the study type to begin with. Leo threw the paintbrush he was holding and drank the bottle of soju on the small table next to him. Drowning himself into the drink once again.

***

The plan the two groups of friends were happening that weekend. Everyone has gathered around for to confirm that they really are doing this. Sulli manage to get Krystal out of her apartment that day (She moved back to her apartment after the lil incident). Thus, Krystal is now watching the TV with Sulli and Amber by her side at Victoria’s shared condominium with Amber. The two are going to keep her company and prevent her from leaving.

N had also convinced Leo to get out of his apartment for once, with the help of Onew and Luna. They had used Victoria’s name, saying that she wants a favor from him. Something for her brand of some sort. If Leo didn’t just wake up from a long slumber and could actually think straight, he would’ve sense what is happening. But he had a long night with his friend alcohol again so he let himself get drag by Onew and N. He was still out of it when they arrived in front of the building. He finally snapped back to reality when he was standing inside the condominium, in front of Krystal.

“You two need to talk. We’re locking you inside.” N announced as they all began to walk out of the condominium.

“Yah, Amber. Choi Jinri.” Krystal glared at her two friends. Luna was hiding behind Onew outside.

“Hakyeon-ah. This isn’t right-” Leo started but N cut him. “What you’re doing isn’t right either. Make this right then, this is as far as our help comes. Get back to your senses Jung Taekwoon.” N said firmly and walked out with the others.

The door clicked shut. A few minutes passed with only the sound of their breathing in the room. Krystal had managed to blink her tears away, staring back at him. Leo didn’t know what to say. How can he make things right? What do he say? What can he say? Before he can clear his mind to actually say something though, Krystal spoke first.

“Let’s break up.” Leo’s eyes shot upward. She can’t be serious…

She was.

“Go to that scholarship of yours.” Krystal spoke again, poker game strong. If Leo didn’t have the same cold exterior like her, he would’ve shuddered.

“What makes you think you can order me around?” Leo finally snapped. Cause heck this is making him angry. Krystal raised her eyebrows as if she was amused.

“If you chose to stay, then I would think that you would’ve met me willingly. But you’re not here willingly, I’m not that stupid. You chose the scholarship. So you should go.”

“I never said anything of that sort.” Leo said, voice dangerously low. Krystal almost flinched, almost. But she wasn’t going to lose this one; she already made up her mind after all.

“Your actions say more.” Krystal said through gritted teeth. Which was true of course, he had been avoiding her for the past week. If he’s struggling that much to choose, then she knows that he wants the scholarship badly.

“Soojung, look. This is not easy on me, okay?” Leo said in a more defeated tone. Krystal softens, just a little bit. “This is tough. You’ve got to understand.”

“Then understand this, I want to break up.” Krystal had her arms crossed, making it look like she was pissed. When in reality she’s just secretly comforting herself, building a wall between her and Leo.

Leo growled low. This is not what he has expected. He had thought a lot on how his meeting with Krystal would be, but breaking up wasn’t in any of them. Hell, he can never imagine such a thing! Break up? Is the girl crazy? He practically needs her in his life. But no, being the fool he was, he didn’t say any of this out loud.

With Leo’s silence, Krystal wavered. She didn’t really think this through. Is she really going to break up with him? Send him away for three years? What was she thinking?? Take it all back, she commanded herself. Take it all-

“Fine, let’s break up.” The freak are you talking about Jung Taekwoon! A voice inside his head protested. Krystal on the other hand blinked, did she hear right? Is he actually agreeing to this stupid thing?!

Their pride won. Both of them. So as they stood there glaring daggers at each other, Krystal manage to breath out an angry, “Fine.”. With that she walked passed him and went straight for the door without another glance.

Leo wanted to stop her, badly. He wanted to say, no, scream that he was sorry. He wanted to pull her arm and hug her tightly, never letting go. But something about men and their egos stop him. The girl wanted to break up, he should give her what she wants. She was the one who suggested the break up in the first place right? She was the one to… And then it hit him. They actually broke up.

They have officially broken up. As in, he can’t call her his princess anymore. He can’t go over to her house anymore. He can’t… He lost her. Just like that he lost her.

 

 

 

A/N: Welcome new subscribers! And thank you to that one new upvote! Very appretiated (: I hope the story is still to your liking. See ya at the next update (: