Chapter eight

Hush.

Leo woke up earlier than Krystal the next morning. He was making a simple breakfast for them to start the day. Half an hour later Krystal showed up after she washed up. She sat down in front of the counter, looking at him as he cooks.

            “What are you trying to make?” She asks, elbows propped on the counter and her face resting on her hands.

            “Pancakes.” Leo answered, flipping the pan. Krystal smirks, show off.

            “It seems like you can only make pancakes.” She said.

            “Hey, I can make pancakes and toasts, okay?” He said a bit too proudly. Krystal rolled her eyes and decided to make fresh juice.

            Breakfast was calm and pleasant with only small talks in between. They did the dishes together.

            “Where are we going today?” Krystal asks after they were finished.

            “We’re going cycling.” Leo answered her with a smile. “There’s a track for us to ride the bicycle.”

            “But I didn’t bring any sport shoes.” Krystal told him guiltily. She pouts, thinking that she has ruined the plan. Leo chuckled at her.

            “Don’t worry about the shoes.” He told her with a smile. “Just go get ready.” He said again. Still pouting, Krystal went to get ready. Leo shook his head with a laugh while still looking at her. She’s so damn cute, how much deeper is he going to fall for her?

            When they were both ready, Leo took out two shoe boxes. Krystal raises an eyebrow as he handed one of the boxes to her. He didn’t really…

            “You bought us couple shoes?” she said with widening eyes; she wanted to laugh but thank him also. So she gave him a wide smiled.

            “Yeah, why not?” Leo simply brushed it away. He didn’t know how much it meant for Krystal. In all her life, nobody has ever done this much for her. He has paid for everything in this trip. And yet she was the rich one. But he didn’t care; he paid for everything without even asking anything in return. She was already very grateful that he even painted her a picture. The trip was a pleasant surprise. Now he just bought their first couple item. There’s just so much for her to be grateful for that she even questioned herself if she even deserve all this. As he wore the shoes, she kept staring at him. She keeps thanking him in her head; she was so grateful, so happy to have him by her side.

            Leo felt her eyes that were still looking at him. Slowly, he turns to look at her. Her eyes look away almost immediately as she hastily starts to wear the shoes. His turn to stare at her as she wear the shoes. He chuckled softly at her slightly blushed cheeks. Krystal on the other hand pretended to not see the eyes that are making her cheeks burn. When she finished, she let out an awkward cough. She heard Leo chuckled and stood up. He held out his hand to her, she finally smiled and took his hand.

            There were two bicycles outside their house. Krystal must’ve missed it when she entered the house last night. For an hour the two of them enjoyed the fresh breeze as they cycled together. They didn’t speak much except for a few comments about the weather and scenery. Krystal realized that not many people were near them, and that the sea was always nearby. Leo knew her well to pick a secluded place like this. Or maybe they were just so similar to each other. Krystal smiled at the thought; they were similar but still quite different from each other. She likes that. She really does. Where else can she find someone like him? Nowhere, there is only one Leo. And she’s more than happy that he is hers. As well as she is his.

            “Taekwoon, there’s ice cream!” Krystal suddenly shouted like a little child, just like the other day. He then realized that she called him by his Korean name. It sounded so beautiful, coming from her lips. It didn’t even sound weird; it was as if it was meant for her to call him that from the beginning. If that even make sense.

            “Why are you not coming? Ppali!” Krystal waved him over. He took out the little money he brought with him, just in case something like this happens. As they ate the ice cream, he just had this urge to smear ice cream on her.

            Which is exactly what he did after a few minutes.

            “YAH!” Krystal screech. was wide open; her eyes stared at him in disbelief. That was right before her lips change into an evil smirk. Leo was the one to be smeared in ice cream next. He didn’t even have time to block himself because of how fast Krystal reflects were. They were both laughing the next minute.

            “Ugh, now I feel sticky all over~” Krystal whines after a while, still laughing.

            “Man this is so child-ish.” Leo said looking at both of their smeared in ice cream faces. Krystal shot him a glare.

            “Says the guy who started all this.” She earned another strike on her nose with his ice cream. She scream once again as he laughed at her.

            “I’m going to kill you!” They spent another 15 minutes dodging and smearing ice cream on one another before finding a small fountain to wash the ice cream off.

            This time it was Krystal who started the water fight as she splashed him with water when he was busy trying to wash off the ice cream on his shirt. Her laugh rang through the whole neighborhood as he picks her up from the ground and spun her around.

            “Taekwoon I’m going to kill you if you drop me!” her screams were followed with loud laughter. Leo made a move to drop Krystal before catching her again.

            “YAH JUNG TAEKWOON!” Krystal screech. Leo just loves how his name sounds with her voice. He loves how it sounds so much. They played around some more for an hour. In which Leo ended up getting kicked by Krystal, hard.

            The two of them sat down on the bench facing the ocean. Krystal puts her head on Leo’s shoulder as he holds her hand. Both were smiling as they enjoyed the scenery.

            “Come on.” Leo broke the peaceful silence. “We’ll get sick if we don’t get back now.” Krystal just agreed and they both cycled back to the house.

***

            That night after dinner, Leo knocked on Krystal’s room bringing a set of blankets with him. Krystal raised her eyebrows on the things he has with him. Leo smiled looking at her confused face.

            “Come on, we’re going to watch the stars tonight.” Leo told her. Krystal broke into a smile and followed him out, bringing her own set of pillows.

            They chose a good spot and spread one of the thick blankets on the sandy beach before lying down on the pillows that Krystal brought. Krystal somehow ended up laying down on his arm rather than the pillow though, bringing them closer to each other. She can even feel his breath against her. It made her snuggle closer to him. He smiles through the night, having Krystal here with him was all he asks for.

            There were a lot of stars tonight. Even the moon looked like it was shining just for them.

            “You know, I was going to rent a place where you can star gaze on the rooftop but it was too expensive.” Krystal tore her eyes from the stars and looked at him. He was so close, she almost held her breath.

            “I don’t need a perfect place. This is perfect for me already. Having you with me.” She added softly. Leo turned to look at her too.

            “You… you’re not going to leave me, right?” Krystal suddenly asks, looking into his eyes. She hates sounding so vulnerable, weak and heck, needy. But she can’t help but ask the question that she has always wanted to ask; to want and make him promise that he’ll never disappear.

            Leo brushed off the hair that has been covering her face, not knowing how soft and caring his touches are to Krystal. “I told you princess, I will never leave you. Ever.”  He was staring right into her eyes too.

            They didn’t know if the atmosphere was making them close into each other or maybe the fact that both of them want to taste each other’s lips. But it just happened. They both closed their eyes and captured each other’s lips. It was a deep passionate first kiss for them, the two smiled into the kiss before finally pulling apart, panting slightly. Leo smiled wider when he saw a slightly blushing Krystal after the kiss. He dived in for another kiss, this time a softer, calmer kind of kiss.

            Krystal clings on his arm as they walked back to the house around midnight. Leo didn’t only kiss her forehead to bid her goodnight, this time he added a small peck on the lips, making her smile as she lays on her bed. She just had her first kiss. And she’s also sure that she just found her first love.

***

            Leo gave Krystal a morning kiss on the lips again the next morning when Krystal was cooking them both porridge. Once he’s gotten a taste of her sweet lips, he thought that he will kiss them as often as he can because that is how much he likes it.

            Even when they were on their way back to Seoul, Leo keeps on stealing small pecks and kisses when there were no one watching them, catching Krystal by surprise every time. But she doesn’t really mind, in fact, she enjoys them as much as he does. So, when he was driving them from the airport, she gave him a surprise kiss too. A smirk forming on her lips when he was the one who was caught by surprise this time.

            “Yah, don’t do that when I’m driving. It can get dangerous.” He scolded her teasingly. She puts out her tongue out to him cutely, making him chuckle in respond. Love, it was love that he was feeling right now. And he has fallen too deep to back away now. Not that he’s planning on going anywhere else at the time being.

            Leo was lying down on Krystal’s lap as she sat on the couch when he got a text from his sister.

            “What is it?” Krystal asks him when she felt the sudden shift. They were watching a movie that they both had already watched so they weren’t really paying attention to it.

            “It’s something that’s going to make you nervous but I think that it’s time.” There was something in his voice that made Krystal look at him suspiciously. He sat up and looked at her with a weird smile plastered on his face. He showed her the text and watch as her furrowed eyebrows ceased and her eyes widen so much that it was almost impossible for it to be that big.

            “No. I mean… no, just no. Taekwoon I’m not ready!” Krystal was so flustered right now. Leo took her hands into his hands and tried to calm her down.

            “Soojung, it’s only dinner. Besides, my parents invited you. They don’t bite, I promise.” There was something on how he says her name that made her feel at ease.

            “But, your sister…” she tense up again. Leo kept his soft smile.

            “She’s my sister. You two have to get along somehow. You know how close I am with her. Come on, do it for me?” At that Krystal rolled her eyes. Damn that’s cliché, but she can’t deny that it’s working. Slowly, she nods her head.

            “Okay… But after this dinner, I’m going to Victoria unnie’s place. They said something about it not being fair that I’m spending too much time with you.” She says with a slight chuckle. She was clearly still nervous about dinner with his family. He smiled gratefully her. Unlike her, he was excited for her parents to finally meet his girl.

            Krystal paid extra attention to what she was wearing tonight.  It felt as if she was going to meet her in-laws. Wait, there is a chance for them to become- she shook her head. No. She’s getting waaaayy ahead of herself, right? That’s too far into the future already.

            “Soojung-ah? We’re going to a dinner, not a part- woah.” Leo stopped talking when she came out from his bedroom. She looked stunning. She was wearing a white knee-length dress, almost similar to the one she was wearing on their graduation day, a year ago. She has more curves now, and her hair and make-up complimented her outfit well. They didn’t have many occasions where he can see her dress up like this so he was pleasantly surprise. He forgot how good she looks with her full make-up on. They have been so comfortable with each other that he always see her without make-up. She is naturally pretty after all.

            “Is this too much? Should I go for casual?” Krystal asks him. “Or is it too little? Should I go put more make-up?” Leo walked towards her and takes her hands, rubbing them as if trying to rub her nervousness away.

            “You look absolutely perfect.” He said with so much honestly and sincerity that she believed him.

            “Thanks.” She blushed. He kept holding her hand even after they were in the car. He can tell that she was worried.  He just hopes that she likes his family; he knows his parents would love her. It was his sister he’s worried about. She can be too outspoken and straightforward sometimes, if not all the time that is. He had sent her a warning message but he doesn’t know if she’ll listen to him. He sighs but smiled to Krystal, whatever happens tonight, it won’t be able to change his feelings for Krystal.

            “We’re here.” Leo announces after he parked in front of his house. It was an average house in an average neighborhood. But he knows Krystal is not someone that would judge, come to think of it he never remembered Krystal ever showing off her money. Although he did notice that she likes branded clothes but that was it.

            Krystal smiled warmly at Leo, maybe he was right. This was bound to come. He went to open her door and she step out, holding his hand.

            “Taekwoon, you’re here.  You must be Krystal.” Leo’s mum hugged Leo before moving to Krystal. Krystal almost froze but she manages to hug back.

            “Hi dad.” Leo greeted his father who smiled. Krystal bowed and said, “You can call me Soojung.” She nervously looked around for his sister who didn’t come to the door.

            “Miyoung noona is still out. She’ll be back later.” Leo answered her unasked question.

            He takes her coat for her and she waited awkwardly at the doorway with his parents. She has a small smile plastered in her face but didn’t know how to start a conversation.

            “Do you need any help with dinner mum?” Leo was finally back at Krystal’s side. “No, no. Everything is fine. We just need to wait for your sister, dear.” Krystal can’t help but smile at the warm atmosphere. Her mum speaks to her sweetly, but sometimes it sounds to fake to feel the warmth that should’ve been there. She was surprised that his father has a teasing feel to him; her father was always too far away to have time to play with her. She bit her lip; she can’t help but feel that Leo has the best family in the world.

            “Why don’t you show her around the house?” His dad suggested. Leo nodded, “Come on princess.” He takes her hands once again and started at his small backyard. Krystal blushes at the nickname and once again when he boldly takes her hand in front of his parents. She didn’t know how proud and happy they are with the fact that their Leo is finally bringing a girl home to them. He doesn’t even bring his friends over. Except for N since they grew up together.

            “Wow, the flowers smell really nice.” Krystal commented when Leo brought her outside.

            “Yeah, mum worked really hard on them. She has a green thumb. Which by the way, did not go down to me or my sister.” He laughs. Krystal takes out her phone and snaps a picture of it.

            “There’s nothing else to see here. Let’s go upstairs.” Krystal happily followed him up. Up means that she’s getting to see the room he grew up in.

            “We only have three bedrooms and a bathroom.” Leo told her as they go up the stairs. “That’s the bathroom, my parent’s bedroom, my sister’s and…this is mine.” He only pointed at the other rooms and opened his own. His bedroom was the farthest from the stairs.

            “Wow, you’ve been artistic since the day you were born, huh?” Krystal said as she looks at all the drawings on the wall. It didn’t look like the typical teenage boy’s room. It wasn’t full of posters but instead full of his own drawings and paintings. Everything was basically plastered on the wall without proper planning hence why they all look messy but sort of looks nice too.

            “You don’t even have a computer here.” Krystal says once again. His desk was full of unfinished drawings and drawing and painting tools. It was also messy. Leo scratched the back of his neck and shrugs.

            “I kinda just draw on my free time.”

            “Yeah, you also never clean up your room.”

            “Oh, give me a break, I just go here to taste my mum’s cooking.” Krystal rolled her eyes, lucky him. She still smiled though; it must be nice to have a caring family. Krystal sits on the bed, still looking around the room. There are just so many things to see.

            “The house is just this though. You’ve been in the living room. Do you wanna see the kitchen?” he asks. Krystal nods.

            “Let’s go. Maybe your mum need help setting the table or something.”

            And so back down they went. Krystal slowly followed close behind him, still not used to his parents. But when they entered the kitchen, not only his mother was there, but his sister also.

            “Hey kiddo!” Miyoung greeted Leo while roughly ruffling his hair. It seems like she hasn’t notice Krystal behind her.

            “Yah, stop that.” Leo growled as he tried to get away from her.

            “Ah, your girlfriend is here. Hello there, Krystal-ssi.” Miyoung didn’t bother to smile at the girl. Krystal gulps; this is going to be a long night. Leo also notice how his sister treated Krystal, he just hopes that his sister won’t embarrass any of them tonight.

            Dinner finally starts. Leo’s dad was seated at the middle with his mum and Leo beside him. Krystal sits beside Leo and across his sister. You can say she had a tough time looking up throughout dinner.

            The dinner starts peacefully; having just started eating not many conversations was hold longer than necessary. It wasn’t until when everyone almost finishes that the real talk finally began.

            “So, Soojung, right? What do your parents do?” Mr. Jung asked the first question. Krystal still manages a smile before answering.

            “My father was a business man before he became a nature photographer. My mother works in the fashion industry.” Krystal tells them.

            “So who’s in charge of the family business now?” He asks again.

            “He left the business to my older brother, Daniel Jung Seunghoon.”

            “He is the eldest son? How many siblings do you have, dear?” Mrs. Jung was the one to ask next.

            “Yes. He is the eldest. There are three of us and I’m the youngest. I have an older sister too, her name is Jessica Jung Sooyeon.” Krystal was so polite she sounded like she was reading the names off a script. Another smile crept onto Leo’s lips, and it did not go unnoticed.

            “I think Taekwoon mentioned about you writing music, is that true?” Miyoung directed the question while looking straight into her eyes, almost as if she was glaring. Krystal immediately looks away.

            “Ah yes. I play the piano.” Krystal gave her a curt answer.

            “She’s good at it too. She just sold her second piece and working on a third.” Leo added, smiling at her as she blushes slightly.

            “You must be really talented. Congrats, Soojung-ah. Your parents must be proud.” Mr. Jung smiled at her. She smiled back. She probably shouldn’t mention that they were getting a divorce. Miyoung suddenly gave out a cough, Leo quickly glance at her. To him she looked like she was getting ready to drop a bomb.

            “So, Soojung-ah. I can call you that, right? Anyway, where are you going to further your studies? With your money I’m sure you can afford the best school there is.” Krystal looked down at her plate at the mention of money.

            “Miyoung.” Mr. Jung’s voice warned her but she just shrugged.

            “She’s planning on enrolling to art school with her friend Sulli. She hasn’t picked the school yet.” Leo answered for her, giving his sister a glare which she also shrugged off. Krystal bit her lip, something is about to go down tonight.

            “Art school, huh? Leo got a scholarship for his painting in, Paris. But I’m sure you won’t need one.” Miyoung goes on. Leo tensed at the mention of his scholarship. At this Krystal met her gaze, right before turning to Leo.

            “A scholarship? In Paris?” Krystal’s asks. The room quickly tense and even Miyoung became uncomfortable but tried her best to look like she didn’t notice the change of atmosphere.

            “Ah, yes. But for some reason he said he wanted to study here, in Korea. I was wondering why though. It will only cost more money for him to turn down his scholarship.” Leo turns to glare at his sister, wanting her to shut up.

            “You turned down the scholarship, son?” Mr. Jung asked, surprised; he didn’t know about this.

            “No, dad, I haven’t turned it down. I’m still thinking about it. There’s nothing wrong with studying here.” Leo stole a quick glance at Krystal, whom he realized have gone quite.

            “Thing is, all your expenses have been paid, brother. Like I said you can also live with me. Why the sudden hesitation?”

            “Miyoung that’s enough. This is not something to discuss at dinner in front of a guest.” Mrs. Jung spoke up, already sensing the situation.

            “I was just wondering, that’s all. It’s a golden opportunity, something someone would regret if they turn it down is what I’m saying. Don’t you think so, Soojung?” Krystal looks up at her name.

            “Ah, yes. It is a good opportunity, unnie.” She said timidly.

            “See Taekwoon? Soojung agrees. I’m sure you will be able to make up your mind now.”

            “Miyoung. Enough.” Another warning came from their father.

            Some awkward silence passed. Krystal’s head bent low, not knowing what to do. Leo was fuming with anger inside him, refusing to even spare his sister a look.

            “If dinner is over,” Everyone looked up at his voice. “I think I should take Soojung home.” Leo wasn’t even looking at his sister. From the looks of it, he even has a hard time keeping his voice down.

            “Yes, of course dear. Soojung, it’s really nice having you here. I hope that we’ll be able to see you again.” Mrs. Jung made sure she gave Krystal her warmest smile. Mr. Jung smiled too, “Yes, next time we’ll make sure to let you see his baby pictures.” Krystal was stunned at their efforts to save the situation. If this was her family everyone would have left the dining table altogether. Including herself.

            Without saying anything, Leo stood up and grabbed their coat. Krystal bowed to his parents on her way out. Her cold aura back, she manages to give Miyoung a curt nod. Miyoung thought that she can handle her, but seeing the cold treatments she’s getting from the couple even she has to admit that she shuddered a bit because them.

            “Jung Miyoung!” Mr. Jung’s voice rose the moment the door was closed.

            “How could you do that to your brother?” He said through gritted teeth. Miyoung turned to her mother for help but Mrs. Jung was just as disappointed at her behavior. Miyoung sigh.

            “He was going to turn down the scholarship. I didn’t want him to regret anything!”

            “Do not raise your voice on me young lady.” Mr. Jung glared at his daughter. “What you did was wrong. Taekwoon can make his own decision. He’s a grown up now. And how could you embarrass Soojung like that!” Miyoung head’s hung low. She still thinks what she did was right.

            “I don’t think they have a serious relationship… You thought they broke up too!”

            “You disappointed me, Miyoung. She is the first girl he brought home, the first girl he introduced to us, and this is what you do? I think I’ll understand him if he stop bringing anyone home from now on.” Mrs. Jung says before she and her husband left Miyoung standing there in the living room. She felt the tiniest guilt rising inside her but brushed it off. Leo will thank her later. He can’t just give up his dream for a girl who barely talks.

***

            Leo and Krystal were silent all the way to Victoria’s place. When Leo finally parked the car in front of the tall building, he turned to Krystal who was just unbuckling her seatbelt.

            “Soojung-”

            “Why didn’t you tell me?” Krystal sighs, letting go of her seatbelt. “You should’ve told me.” She said again.

            “I already made my decision. I’m staying. I’m not going anywhere.”

            “That’s the thing, Taekwoon. You sister thinks that I’m holding you back. Is that…true?” Leo sighs. This is not going well.

            “It’s true, isn’t it? Why? I would understand. I don’t want to hold you back, it’s your dream!”

            “You don’t understand. You’re not holding me back. I just don’t want to leave you.” Leo tried to explain.

            “That’s the same thing!”

            “Soojung, don’t be like this-”

            “No, I can’t be selfish again-”

            “Three years! The scholarship for me to stay in Paris is three years Soojung!”

            Silence. Three years apart. And seeing how it’s a scholarship, he will need to work hard. He won’t be back for three years. She won’t be able to see him in three years. She will start her school here, and he will start his school there. There won’t be any time for them to be together again. Is she even willing to wait that long?

            Leo stared at her, long and hard. He sees her hesitation, seeing her fight to follow her head or heart.

            “Soojung, I’m staying. You might think it’s because of you, but who knows, I might actually be doing this for me.” Because I’m the one who can’t bear to leave you alone. I can’t bear the thought of not having you beside me for too long. Heck, I might not even be able to live without you.

            “I’ll…Vic unnie is already waiting. I should go.” Krystal went out of the car and took her suitcase from the back. Leo quickly followed her out.

            “Soojung.” He grabbed her arm to stop her. “We’ll talk soon, okay?” He was desperate to hold on to her. Why does he feel something bad is going to happen?  Krystal gave him a tight smile, “Drive safely.” She muttered and left.

 

            “Soojung! So, how was the- Krystal?” Amber look at her friend confusedly. She called her name again but Krystal shook her head, mumbling something about being tired.

            “Amber? Where’s Soojung? Did she say something about the dinner?” Victoria has just come out of her room.

            “I think something happened.”

            “Really? Well, let’s give her some space. Guess you’ll be sleeping with me tonight.”

 

 

            Krystal changed into her pajamas and was now lying down on the bed. Amber had decided to give her some space and is now sleeping in Victoria’s room. She’s thankful because she really need some alone time to think through everything. A text came of Leo, saying that he had arrived home safely. She didn’t reply the text. After five minutes another text came.

“Goodnight princess. Don’t think too much about it. I told you, I’ll never leave you.”

            Krystal sighs at the text, putting her phone back on the table. What if Miyoung was right? What if she really is holding him back? What if he regrets this in the future? She can’t seem to stop thinking about more ‘What ifs’. Krystal thinks about the surprised tone his father used when he thought that Leo and turn down the scholarship. Krystal twists and turns on the bed, unable to get comfortable with all the thoughts that are still swarming inside her head.

But then Mrs. Jung’s smile came into her mind, warming her heart. “Yes, next time we’ll make sure to let you see his baby pictures.” His father had said. Will there even be a next time? What does she want, exactly? What is the right thing to do right now? Krystal forced her eyes to close and her brain to shut off. She needs sleep right now so she can clear her head.

 

 

 

A/N: I am SO sorry for the late update guys. Thank you for all the new subsribers! I hope you're enjoying the story so far. Until the next update, which will be soon i hope. See ya!