Chapter three

Hush.

“Where are you going? Aren’t you staying for the night?” Leo’s mum asks as he prepared to leave after dinner. Leo looked at her guiltily.

            “Sorry mum. I’ll come back tomorrow morning, okay? Even in time for breakfast.” He does want to stay. It’s been too long since his sister came back and for the family to be together again. But he promised Krystal he’ll see her tonight.

            “Is everything okay?” asks his father. Leo nodded. “Yes dad, everything’s fine.”

            “Are you perhaps going to see Krystal?” Miyoung suddenly showed up from the kitchen. She had been doing the dishes. He was actually planning on leaving while she was busy. Guess that didn’t work.

            Both their parents looked at him curiously. “Krystal? I didn’t know you were still dating her.” His father said.

            “Well, I never told you we broke up either, right?” Leo was having a hard time hiding the anger that is starting to boil inside him. Why is everyone doubting them being together? His mum saw this, so she softens. “Well, I’m glad you’re still together. I just hope you can bring her to see us one day. We don’t even know the girl.” Leo softens at his mum’s words. “When she’s ready mum, okay?” His parents shared a glance that he didn’t see. Is their son really going to bring a girl for the first time in their lives?

            “I’ll be leaving first then. Good night.” Leo bowed to them and left before his sister can come up with another remark.

***

            Krystal ate dinner alone back at her apartment. She was still working on her recent piece. Her instructor had advised her to make it sound lighter. Apparently her piece sounds too sad. She closed her eyes in frustration when she can’t find the right key. While thinking, her mind work their way towards Leo. “I will never leave you.” With those exact words playing inside her head, her fingers moved on their own. Playing the keyboard and adding new tunes to her piece. She smiled in satisfaction as she scribbled down the notes. She likes how they sound now. She continued to perfect her almost finished piece, still with the thought of Leo in her head.

            Speaking of Leo, where was he? She thought they could at least eat together. But then he texted to eat dinner without him. That was when she realized how empty the place feels without him. She was so used to being alone, but then he came and stayed the night, twice. But those two nights had made a big impact in her.

            Krystal ate another spoonful before playing the keyboard again. She has this habit of eating while working. That’s why she takes forever to finish. As the hours pass by, the more she is satisfied by her piece. It’s nearly finished now. She quickly finished her eating and put the dishes in the sink. She hurried back to her precious keyboard, as if her idea will wear off if she dares to take a rest. Another hour passed and she smiled at her complete piece.

            She stretch out her arms, a relieve sigh coming out of her lips. She took a quick shower and was drying her hair when her doorbell rang. Still drying her hair, she opened her door.

            “Hey.” She greeted Leo. He still came. Leo was surprised to see Krystal so… calm. And relaxed.

            “I’m sorry I’m late. There was heavy traffic.” Leo told her as he closed the door behind him. Krystal smiled. Let’s repeat, she smiled. Leo raised his eyebrows. Unable to hold his curiousness any longer, he asks, “Did something…good happened?”

            Krystal almost lit up. “I finished my piece!” she said with another smile. Leo can’t help but chuckle. “What?” Krystal asks innocently, confused by his sudden chuckle. She was sure she didn’t say anything funny. This time he laughed. “What did I say to make you laugh?” She asks again. Leo shook his head, wiping an invisible tear. He took the towel from her as they sat on the couch. “Let me help.” He said as he dried her hair for her. Krystal froze at his touch. She was glad that she has her back towards or else he could see her blushing face. Even though he looked so manly and cold on the outside, his touches are actually…unexpectedly soft. And so full of care.

            “Don’t you have a hair-dryer or something?” he asks. Not knowing what his touches are doing to Krystal.

            “Krystal?” Krystal blinked her eyes rapidly. “Huh? Hair-dryer? It broke just a few days ago.” She finally answered him, a bit too quickly. She turns herself around to face him and took the towel back. “I can do it by myself now.”

            Leo suppressed a chuckle as Krystal entered her room in a hurry. Ahh, a flustered Krystal. He smiled at the sight. While he waited for her, he couldn’t help but noticed the change of atmosphere between them. He didn’t even know how it happened. It was lighter, more comfortable. Krystal was definitely more open today.

            Inside the bedroom, Krystal was beating herself mentally. What is happening to her? Why is her heart suddenly beating so fast? She closed her eyes tightly and she shakes her head, as if trying to shake her sudden nerves away. She stopped, somehow knowing this wasn’t going to work. Slowly, she tip-toed towards her door, opening it and taking a peek at Leo who was still sitting on the couch. She blink her eyes, once, twice and then closed the door. What was wrong with her tonight?

            “Krystal? Are you done yet?” Leo called from the living room. Krystal jumped at the sound of his voice.

            “I’m coming!” She was out after a few minutes. She sat next to him, her hair still a bit wet. She was calmer, but the butterflies stayed in her stomach. “I think we should buy you a new hair-dryer. You could get sick if you go to sleep with wet hair, you know.” Krystal gave him a look.

            “How do you know that?”

            “I have a sister Krys. My mum always nags at her for going to sleep without drying her hair properly.” Leo stops when he remembered the cause of Krystal’s sadness; her family. He slapped himself mentally. How stupid can he be? He glanced at Krystal, but she didn’t seem bothered by his family talk.

            “How is Miyoung unnie these days? Is she still doing well in Paris?” Leo was stunned by how Krystal remembered his sister’s name and that she’s studying fashion in Paris.

            “Y-yeah. She just got back today.”

            “Really? That’s good. Are your parents healthy?” she asks again. Leo gave her a look.

            “What?” she asks innocently. “Just because my family is a mess, doesn’t mean you can’t talk about yours.” She’s back to being straight-forward Krystal huh.

            “My parents are fine.” Krystal smiled at his answer.

            “Another good news then.” She felt bad that they never talked about his family before. He looked really close to them. She knows he always pick his sister up at the airport himself. He always visits his parents too. Even though he doesn’t tell her, she saw him on the phone with them anyway.

            “My mum wants to see you.” He blurts out the news. Even though he improved his way of talking after meeting Krystal, bad habits die hard they say.

            Krystal looked at him, long and hard. “W-what?”

            “They want to see you. My family.” He repeated.

            “What? When? Why? Where?” Leo laughed.

            “Relax. They just mentioned it when I met them earlier.” Krystal was relieved.

            “I’m not ready yet. I don’t think they’ll like me.” Leo squeezed her hand.

            “They won’t eat you. Well, I do think you have to watch out for my sister though.” Krystal looks at him with panic in her eyes once again.

            “Miyoung unnie? Why? What did I do?” Leo cannot believe the Krystal he knows is freaking out over this.

            “She’s… well, she asks a lot of things.” Oh great, thought Krystal. And most people are nervous about the parents, but she has to watch out for his persistent sister too.

            “Okay, no more talks about this. How about you let me hear about that piece you just finished?” Leo stood up, pushing Krystal towards her keyboard.

            Being in front of her keyboard, Krystal felt her shoulders relaxed. She put up the musical sheet in front of her and stretches her arms before starting.

            “Just bear in mind I just finished this. I haven’t completely perfected it.” Leo just nods. Just like him, she was a perfectionist. So he understands her.

            They ended the night with Krystal playing the keyboard for him. He slept over again, this time he slept on the couch. None of them ever mentioning about the incident last time. Except for Krystal’s little comment about her family, they didn’t touch the subject again. Another clear evidence of their “ignoring” habits.

            Krystal woke up the next morning with the smell of pancakes. She got out of bed, suddenly feeling hungry. “Leo?”  She called out. She didn’t get any answers. She went out of her room and walked over to the counter where the pancakes were placed. There was a note beside it:

“Morning dear princess! Sorry I’ve got to leave early. Here are some pancakes. The honeys are in the fridge.”

            Most people would cringe at the sight but she actually finds it cute. Who would’ve known a person with that kind of demeanor can do this kind of thing? She smiled while reading the note.

 

***

            “Hyuuuuuunnggg!” The moment Leo heard the loud voice, he almost wanted to turn his car around and drive away. But Ken was fast enough to reach the car and plastered his face on the passenger’s seat mirror. Leo gave Ken a hard glare but Ken just grinned childishly at him before opening the door.

            “You came!” He exclaims in the car. Leo heave a big sigh, this is going to be a long day.

            “Hyung! LEO HYUNG HI!” Hyuk jump into the car after attracting much attention. Ravi and Hongbin right behind him.

            “Omo, its Leo sunbaenim!”

            “Wow, he’s a really good hyung isn’t he?”

            “He’s as handsome as the others said.”

            “I can’t believe I’m seeing him with my own eyes!”

            “Is N sunbaenim with him? I want to see VIXX together again!”

            Leo gave the students a look which made them go away quickly. Why can’t people just mind their own business around here? The boys chuckled. They missed him.

            “WE HAVEN’T SEEN EACH OTHER IN 2 MONTHS. WHERE HAVE YOU-”

            “Ken, if you don’t tone down your voice I will kick you of my car.” Ken pouted which made the other boys laugh.

            “Hyung, where are we going today? Is Hakyeon hyung gonna join us? Are we really finally going out together?” Hongbin threw the questions. Leo didn’t answer right away.

            “He’s meeting us there.” Was his curt answer.

            “There? There where?” asks Ravi getting curious.

            “Somewhere. Hakyeon said to keep it a secret. But if you guys don’t sit tight I’ll make you walk there.” The boys nudge and whispered each other excitedly. After both their hyungs graduated high school, they’ve only been able to meet each other to eat lunch together on weekends. And not everyone can come too. N was busy with his dance studio and Leo as usual was busy with his painting class and they also know he has been spending a lot of time with Krystal lately.

            Leo stopped his car in front of N’s house; he was still living with his family. There was a small van parked outside and N was standing right beside it with a very big grin on his face.

            “Hey, careful!” Leo warned loudly as Ken, Hongbin and Hyuk ran outside, almost tripping over themselves. Ravi chuckled at that, it’s nice to hear Leo nag once in a while to show that he cares. Leo shook his head at their clumsiness. He and Ravi walked towards the van and N.

            “Are we going somewhere hyung?” asks Ravi over the squealing boys.

            “Yep, we’re going for a short trip. We’ll be staying there overni- boys shush! I’m talking. Okay, like I was saying, we’ll be staying there overnight. I called you parents and they were quite okay with it. Yes, even yours Hyuk.”

            “Where are we going?”

            “Is it somewhere far?”

            “What about our clothes?” 

            Leo rolled his eyes his eyes at his so called dongsaengs. They can get overexcited sometimes. Or maybe it was all the time. N on the other hand laughed.

            “The place is a secret. And we’ll be stopping by at your house so you guys can pack. We’ll leave now.”

            “Aren’t we gonna greet your parents at least?” Leo finally spoke up. N shook his head. “They’re both out. Let’s get in the van!”

            The boys hurried inside the small but comfortable van. “How much was the rent for this thing?” Leo asks as he seated himself in the passenger seat in front. N shrugs. “It wasn’t that expensive. It’s on the cheaper side.” N said but didn’t look Leo in the eye. Leo shook his head and wore his seatbelt; N would do anything to keep them all together. Even though the boys a lot, they still listen to him well, including Leo himself. Everyone might mistake Leo to be the leader of the group, but the truth was N has been leading the group from the start. He takes care of them all well too.

            Ravi’s house was their last stop before really starting their short weekend trip. Leo called Krystal.

            “Are you guys on your way already?” Krystal asks from the other side. Somehow the two has never bothered with greetings anymore and just get straight to the point.

            “We’re at Ravi’s. We’ll be going soon. Are you at your house?” Krystal was still going to her mum’s fashion show in London. Leo wanted her to think twice before going but it looked like her mind has been made. And everyone knows nothing can change it.

            “Yeah. I’m leaving later at night. The flight’s at 9pm.” She changed the flight on purpose so she doesn’t have to see her mum as soon as she gets there. Besides, it’d be almost midnight when she arrives anyway.

            “How are the boys?” Leo glanced at the boys at the question.

            “They are…very excited about the trip.”

            “You missed them. Don’t hide it. Anyway, have a fun and safe trip. Stop the boys from doing anything stupid. I’ll call you when I get there.” Leo chuckled, almost laughing. N gave him a look and wondered who he is calling. He’s not the only who noticed too. Ravi just came back and Leo’s call caught everyone’s attention.

            “I’ll be careful. Have a safe flight. Call me anytime if something happens okay?”

            “Yeah, yeah. Bye!”

            “Bye.” Leo was still smiling when he ended the call. He suddenly noticed the sudden silent in the van. He looked at the boys, everyone was looking at him.

            “Why are we not moving?” he asks N.

            “Who was that hyung?” asks Ken.

            “It was Krystal.” Leo answered without hesitating. The boys glance at each other. Last time they checked, the only people who can make him smile was his noona. N started the engine again and put on some music to bring up the atmosphere again. Ken quickly sang along, followed by everyone.

            Everyone was soon hyped up after a few rounds of singing some very popular songs. Even Leo was nodding his head to the beats. Krystal was right. He did miss his friends.

            “You did great Hakyeon. This is a good idea.” Leo said after two hours of driving. The boys were one by one falling asleep behind them.

            “Yeah, I figured we should get together soon. Ken is already graduating next month. Time flies really quickly.”

            “Let’s switch. It’s already two hours.” N stopped the car and switched place with Leo.

            “Thanks.” Leo only nodded. Before long, he heard N’s soft breathing and knew that everyone was asleep now. This time, Krystal called him.

            “Is there anything wrong?” Leo asks through the earpiece.

            “No, just wanted to tell you I’m at the airport now.”

            “You’re bored, huh?”

            “If you think that I’m only calling you because yes, I am bored. Then you are probably right. There are just too many people here.” Leo began to worry. She never did like crowded place, just like him.

            “Are you okay? Where’s butler Lee?”

            “He’s a butler, not my baby sitter. Errr, I sent him back cause I think I was burdening him.”

            “Oh Krystal. You should’ve just let him accompany you.”

            “Well, it’s too late now okay.” He could hear her getting nervous.

            “Can you just call him back?”

            “I don’t want to.” Damn, she’s stubborn.

            “Well, don’t hang up until your flight comes.”

            “There’s only 30 minutes left…”

            “Have you eaten dinner yet?” Leo asks the question, ignoring Krystal’s last comment.

            “Just a light one. I’ll eat again in the plane. You?”

            “I ate at 5. We’ll eat again after we reach the site. Hakyeon said there will be a nearby restaurant there.”

            “You should’ve eaten before you made the trip.” Krystal nags.

            “Well, there’s only an hour left before we reach there.”

            “You’re driving aren’t you? You shouldn’t be talking on the phone then.”

            “It’s fine, I’m using the earpiece.”

            “But it’s getting late at night. I can see the sky getting darker.”

            “I can drive at night Krystal.”

            “Still…” There was silence after that.

            “Oh, my flight is here.”

            “Go on. Don’t forget your ticket.” A pause.

            “Thanks for staying with me.” Leo smiled.

            “But next time, focus more on your driving. You’re carrying five lives with you! Six including yours!” Leo chuckled. “Okay princess. I’m focusing now. Safe flight.”

            “Have fun on your trip.” And they hung up.

            “Wow hyung, you’ve become really close with Krystal unnie, huh?” Ravi asks out of the bloom. Leo almost jumps at his voice. He looks at him from the review mirror and noticed that the boys had just begun to wake up one by one.

            “Well, they are dating, what do you expect?” Ken answered before Leo could speak.

            “Hey, that’s not what I meant! Leo hyung you know I didn’t mean it that way right?”

            “Booooo Raviiiiiii~!” The boys began to tease Ravi. Ravi groaned, burying his head with his hands.

            “Leo hyung make them stttoooopppp~” It was also rare for Ravi to whine, and of course only his best friends can do that to him.

            “Boys come on, look, now Hakyeon’s awake.” Said Leo.

            “It’s fine.” N yawns as he looked at his watch. “That was a good one hour and a half’s nap. And we’re right on schedule too.”

 

***

            Krystal was finally boarding the plane. Her heart eased up after being in the less crowded plane. She was secretly very grateful to Leo for being there for her. He didn’t know how much that little call helped her. He even made her relax a bit. Krystal plugged in her earphones, ready for a long flight to London. At least she can handle jetlag. One of the pointers of travelling a lot she supposed. She planned to sleep until her food arrives.

            It’s been a long day. She’s been in her practice room with her instructor perfecting her piece. It didn’t really take long but she continued to help her instructor with other things too. And then butler Lee called about the weekend trip she promised her mum she’d go. Leo had asked her to think twice about it. Her mum should be grateful she doesn’t break promises.

            Her father had left after their so called dinner. She didn’t answer his calls (He only called twice. Talk about giving up.) nor her mother’s too. But at least she’s going, right? It will be a long and hard weekend indeed.

            Maybe she really should have thought twice about this.

 

 

A/n: VIXX is here, haha. I thought the frienship part of this story should come up soon. I'm really confused by time-zones but I did do a research about it. But still, sorry if there are any mistake. Please just kindly ignore them. This chapter is less dramatic compared to the previous chapters, but I reckon the next one will be full of it. Stay tune for VIXX moments and Krystal's trip to London in the next chapter.