Chapter nine

Hush.

Leo gripped the phone in his hand, knowing that Krystal had already read his message but decided not to reply. He can’t believe his sister did that to him! Didn’t she say he’ll let him decide? Almost smashing his phone on the table next to him, he stood up to take a cold shower to take his mind off things. But even after staying under the shower for an hour, all he could think was Krystal. The hurt look on her face, how her voice wavered from her usual confident tone. He can’t let her blame herself for this, it was him. He is the one who can’t live without her. He can’t bear the thought of not having her beside him for three whole years. She might not need him, but he needs her. He’s the selfish one, not her. But he was never a man with words, so how does he explain it to her so that she’ll understand?

            A frustrated growl escaped his lips as he shut off the water, the towel covering his bottom half as he went out from the bathroom. He used to not bother with towels because he lives alone but since Krystal keeps visiting him and even staying the night, he was using towels before he knew it. Leo shook his hair in frustration, great, just by wearing towel or not can lead to Krystal. He scoffs to himself, how does she expect him to live without her for three years? He sat on his bed for what seems to be forever as he lets his mind wander to Krystal, staring into space. How is he going to solve all these? He knows it will come eventually, but damn Miyoung for making it sound like its Krystal’s fault. Heck, him staying wasn’t even wrong! Leo looked at his watch and realized it was already 2:13am. Closing his eyes, he laid down on his bed.  But just like Krystal, he couldn’t find a comfortable spot with all the thinking his brain is doing.

 

 

            Leo opened his eyes next morning, suddenly feeling empty. He felt like he didn’t sleep at all. Of course Krystal was the first thing that came into his mind like always, only this time a lingering feeling followed. He sat up and sighs, not really feeling like he wants to eat breakfast, or even get up for that matter. But he still has to meet Krystal, he still need to explain everything to her. Forcing himself into the shower, he got ready for the day.

            Picking up his keys, he wondered if Krystal was already up. His phone suddenly rang and he quickly picked it up, hoping it was Krystal even though it was unlikely. His shoulder drop slightly when he was met with his mother’s voice instead.

            “Good morning dear, I was calling to know how Soojung is doing. Is everything okay between the two of you?” Leo let out a soft sigh, not knowing what to say.

            “That bad huh?”

            “I’m not sure mum, I still have to go and see her.” If she wants to see me that is.

            “Well, I hope everything will go well. Son?”

            “Mmmhm?”

            “I really like her. She’s really nice and pretty. I’m sorry for what your noona did. Just remember that whatever you decide to do, I’ll have your back, okay?” Leo smiled at her words. He can always count his mum to make things more dramatic and always be there for him.

 

            “Thanks, mum.” Mrs. Jung on the line sighs deeply after the call. She can see the changes Krystal did to Leo. It’s the good kind of change. Ever since she found out Leo was bullied in school, which resulted his cold aura to become a wall between him and the people around him, she was scared he’ll never let anyone break down his wall. But Krystal has already been able to be with him for over a year now. They even went to a vacation together, that has to mean something, right?

            “So, how is everything between the two of them?” Mr. Jung asks his wife as he got ready for work. Mrs. Jung can only sigh. Mr. Jung neared his wife before hugging her tightly, “They’ll figure it out. Okay? I’m sure they’ll work it out.” Mrs. Jung nod, but was still worried for her only son. Mr. Jung pecked his wife on the lips before leaving for work.

           

 

            Leo called Krystal three times before she turned her phone off. Leo scoffs, like that was going to stop him. He drove faster and arrived at Victoria’s place in no time. He got out of the car and called her for the last time, straight to voicemail; her phone was still dead. Having had enough, he was about to walk straight to Victoria’s condominium when he saw Krystal walking with another guy. Looking from her appearance, she looks like she was out jogging. His heart clenches as he watches her smile shyly from the guy and was she blushing?

***

            That morning Krystal had made her mind, she was going to let him do whatever he wants. Whether staying here or leaving, he knows what he’s doing. Feeling like she was going to be okay, she opted to go for a morning jog. She left her phone on purpose because the battery was dying anyway.

            She was at her fifth and last round when a familiar figure bumped into her. She was so surprised that she fell flat on her bum, looking up, her eyes widen at the more familiar face.

            “I seem to always meet you like this, Krystal-ssi.” Kai smiled at her, his hands outstretch in front of her. This time Krystal let him help her up, even though she was red from embarrassment.

            “Ah, sorry.” Krystal couldn’t think of anything else to say. Kai on the other hand, chuckled. Usually if it was a stranger who bumped into her, she would just let it go and leave. But then he spoke again.

            “Do you live near here?” Kai asks, wanting to strike a conversation with her. What she doesn’t know was that he planned the whole ‘bumping into each other’ thing. He saw Krystal from afar and had this urge to talk to her. He had no idea he would meet the beautiful shy girl again, she had been popping inside his head once in a while now.

            “I live with a friend.” Krystal told him, he was walking casually beside her.

            “Ahh, I see.” Kai look at her as she kept on walking straight. “What happened, back in London? I didn’t see you at the after party like your mother mention.”

            “I went back here for some business.” Lies, Kai read through her. But she was good at it, if only his friends didn’t tell him about her running off crying, he would actually believe her.

            “Well, you didn’t miss much. The party was boring without you anyway.” Krystal pretended she didn’t hear him say that. But she still rarely gets compliment from strangers so she felt her cheek turn pink anyway. Kai smiled watching her blush slightly, she is an interesting girl. She doesn’t talk much, but he didn’t mind. Her beauty was enough to capture his attention; he hasn’t met any girls that can look that good in simple clothing. But Krystal looked good in anything, he noticed.

            “We’re here, goodbye.” Krystal muttered turning to leave. Kai was surprised at her abruptly leaving so he took her hand on instinct, stopping her. Krystal pulled her hand quickly, annoyed that he suddenly touched her. Kai gave her a smile she didn’t return. Her cold aura was back. This is one of the reasons why she’s cold, once she becomes nicer than normal, people think that they can just do anything to her.

            “What is it?” She asks coldly. Kai suddenly felt uncomfortable, she’s not an easy girl that’s for sure. But no girl has ever turned him down so quickly so he tried again. He gave her one of his charming smile, but she didn’t return that smile too. Just as he was about to say something, a tall figure stood beside Krystal.

            Krystal felt Leo stand beside her, she knows its Leo because she can feel his warmth now. She can recognize him anywhere after all the times they spent together. She went closer to him, knowing Kai will get the message.

            “Is there something wrong, Soojung?” Leo now realized that Krystal wasn’t flirting with the guy after observing them from afar. And after Krystal moved closer to him, he found out he was jealous over nothing. Good thing he waited before exploding.

            “No. Is there something you wanted to say, Kai-ssi?” Leo smirked at the formalities. Kai almost frown at how things have become, she’s taken. Of course she is. Not letting it bother him much, Kai kept his smile, although it was hard when he felt the cold aura from the two. And it was one heck of a cold aura. He almost shivered.

            “Ah, it’s nothing. Just saying it was nice seeing you again, Krystal-ssi. I hope we’ll get to meet each other again. I’ll get going now.” Kai was still smiling as he turns to leave.

            Krystal relaxed the moment Kai turned around.

            “I called you, why didn’t you answer me?” Leo asks her. Krystal looks up to him innocently.

“I left my phone in the condominium, the battery was dying anyway. Why, is there something wrong?”

“We need to talk. Let’s go out for breakfast.” Krystal sighs but nodded anyway.

“Come up, I want to shower first.” Leo followed her inside the condominium.

Amber, who was watching TV looked up and smiled at him. Does this mean that everything is okay between the two of them, again?

“Hey man, here, sit, sit.” Amber ushered Leo to sit on the couch with her. Still feeling awkward, Leo sat down anyway as Krystal went to take her shower.

“Krystal came back upset last night, I’m not about to ask what happened. I just want to know if everything is okay now.” Leo was temporary stunned at how fast Amber threw the question at him but he regains his composure and looked at her steadily.

“I’m bringing her to breakfast to talk about it.” He answered. Amber hummed, understanding the love quarrel.

“Do you want some juice? Vic unnie made some before she left.” Before Leo can answer though, Amber already entered the kitchen.

Amber and Leo talked –as in Amber talks and Leo listens intently- while waiting for Krystal to get ready. She took longer since she had to dry her hair. When she was finally done, Amber whispered ‘fighting!’ to Leo before he left with Krystal.

 

The car ride was silent and was more to the uncomfortable side. Leo doesn’t know what to do and Krystal was just staring outside the window. They got out of the car quietly; Leo is even hesitant to hold her hand, so he didn’t. She was walking ahead of him anyway.

Krystal ordered for the two of them and sat down in front of Leo. It was awkward, no doubt. The two have never fight before or even settled their problems with talking. Leo fidgeted with his fingers while Krystal played with her hair. This is why people still doubt them being together; they are still awkward. It was like they haven’t shared their first kissed yet, as if they didn’t go on vacation for 3 days and 2 nights or the fact that she sleeps over at his place for more times than they can count.

The food arrived and Leo thank the waitress for the two of them. The waitress can’t help but look at them; she can’t pinpoint the relationship they’re having. Krystal gave her a judgmental stare and the waitress left quickly. Leo smirked at the scene, Krystal is Krystal alright. They sipped on their drinks, and Leo can tell Krystal is waiting for him to speak.

“Are you still mad at me?” Krystal looks up from her plate. She thought about it for a moment before answering.

“No… I don’t think I am.”

“So, you’re….upset?” Leo tried again. Krystal nods slowly.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I don’t understand. Are you just planning to stay here and not tell me anything or just leave without a word?” Leo shakes his head.

“It’s not like that. I never planned to leave, I think. I guess I just didn’t know how to break the news to you. I’m sorry.” His eyes didn’t leave Krystal’s and so they had a staring battle. Krystal looked away first; that was some intense staring.

“I guess it’s okay now that I know.” Krystal finally says. Leo let out an awkward cough. Now what?

Now nothing apparently cause the two just keep on eating without a word. After breakfast Leo dropped her off back to Victoria’s place (another silent ride) and went back to his place.

***

Krystal decided to go for a walk that evening. Victoria was still busy so she had Amber to accompany her. Amber brought her skateboard along and started skateboarding to and fro. Krystal let her be, that’s how their walks always are. She tried to learn how to skateboard once, but clearly she was (according to Amber) absolutely terrible at it. Aside from the bruises on her knees, she also almost broke both of her arms.

“Wanna tell me what’s going on between you and your man?” Amber flipped her skateboard and caught it, walking beside Krystal. Krystal sighs, not really knowing what to say.

“Come on, there must be something you can tell me.” Amber spoke again. So Krystal, with another sigh, told her about Leo’s scholarship and his sister.

“Woah, that’s some scary sister he has there. You sure she doesn’t hate you?” Krystal rolled her eyes.      

“She might as well. She really made it sound like it was my fault. Do you think she’s right? That I’m holding him back?” Amber was the one to roll her eyes this time.

“Oh please Soojung, if Leo wanted to leave, he’ll leave. But he didn’t. He may or may not have done it for you, but maybe he did it for himself for all you know.”

“He said the same thing to me…” Krystal mumbles, looking at the ground.

“Why don’t you ask him?” Krystal looked at Amber, confused.

“Ask him what?”

“Ask him why he stayed.” Amber said as if it was obvious. “You guys aren’t fighting anymore, right?” Krystal shrugs at that. Are they still fighting, or not? She’s still confused.

“You don’t know?” Amber asks again. Krystal shakes her head and went back to staring at the ground.

“I don’t know. I just don’t. Ugh.” Krystal groaned, kicking a pebble away. “I mean, I don’t want to be selfish again. I don’t want to hold anyone back again. Like what happened between us. I just can’t.” She went on, and Amber let her be. “What if his dreams don’t come true and I find out that it was because of me? I can’t live with the guilt Am, it will eat me.” This time she mumbled in English. Amber sighs, why is she being so complicated? Leo’s sister can’t be that bad to make her feel that way.

Krystal was still looking down and mumbling in a mix of Korean and English when Amber suddenly pulled her arm and stopped her. Krystal glared at Amber before noticing that she almost bump into somebody. She started to apologize when she realize who it was.

“Soojung,” Miyoung look at Krystal who almost bump into her if it wasn’t her friend there. “Fancy seeing you here.”

“Oh, Miyoung unnie.” Krystal greeted her. “Who’s the new guy?” Miyoung gestured to Amber. Amber wasn’t even offended anymore, this happens way too often when she’s in Korea.

“I’m her friend, Amber. And no, I’m not a guy.” Amber spoke up with a smile when Krystal looked like she was frozen on the spot. That was when she wondered who this person is. She never saw her before.

“Oh well I’m Miyoung, her boyfriend’s sister. You two are still together, right?” Miyoung almost snickered. She wasn’t usually like this, but she really doesn’t want her precious brother to end up with someone like her. The girl is too quite, who is that quite anyway? (Apparently oblivious of her own brother) Plus, she’s rich, but lives alone in an average apartment. Why? If she fails anything she can just work under her family business, Leo doesn’t have that luxury. For all she knows Krystal might just be playing with him. And she knows too well how that felt, the feeling’s bitter. And she doesn’t want her brother to experience it.

Amber on the other hand looked between Miyoung and Krystal. So this is Leo’s sister. She was expecting someone who looked like a snob, her nose held high as she spits awful words to other people. But Miyoung doesn’t look anything like that. With her outfit, Amber knows she’s somebody that knows how to dress right. Besides, the girl looked…nice. But once she opened , that was when Amber knows different she was from her appearance.

“What, did you break up?” Miyoung asked again when Krystal didn’t answer her.

“No, we’re still together.” Krystal finally spoke, collecting herself and standing up straighter.

“Oh, pity. I thought you’d finally come to your senses. You do realize by now that he’s turning the scholarship down because of you right?” Miyoung was at it again.

“That’s not true.” Krystal manages to say. Amber was still watching the two talk, thinking it’d be rude to interrupt. At least for now.

Miyoung tilted her head, “Oh really?” she says. “Is that what my brother told you? Don’t be stupid, we both know it was because of you. I mean I’m sure you have enough money to support the both of you-”

“You’re going over the line, Miyoung-ssi.” Amber had enough. The money talk was low. Miyoung looked at Amber, surprised that Amber’s tone could sound so intimidating.

“We shouldn’t really take her word for it, Soojung. She’s not Leo after all. She can’t speak on behalf of him.” Amber continued, her instinct to protect her friends showing up. Krystal stayed quite, Amber was becoming scary. Even for her. Maybe it was because of the tone she was using, or maybe the fact that she had stop smiling altogether.

“Excuse you, Amber-ssi, but I am his sister.” Miyoung hissed. Amber wasn’t even affected.

“Exactly, his sister. Not him. I believe this is a conversation that should be discussed by Soojung and Leo, not his, ah, sister.” Krystal glanced at Amber, wow, what a change of personality. Miyoung scoffed, why is there so many people on Krystal’s side? Can’t they see how this can affect her brother? If he loses the scholarship and continues here in Korea, there is no guarantee that he can pay all the expenses. He might not even finish school. Can’t they see that she’s trying to protect him?

“I think we should go now.” Krystal said, quietly pulling an angry Amber away. She bid Miyoung a curt goodbye and walked away, still dragging Amber.

“What was that all about??” Krystal let out an exasperate sigh. She knows Amber was just looking out for her like she has always done, but this is just unlike her.

“She was bringing the money issue up. That’s just wrong.” Amber answered, having cooled down by now.

“Yeah well, she brought that up during dinner too.”

“What??” Oops, Krystal might have wanted to think twice before saying that.

“It’s nothing. She’s the only one against this. His parents are very kind.” Amber cooled down again. At least his parents are nice then. But knowing Krystal, she knows the girl wouldn’t be comfortable in dating someone who has family members going against it.

“Don’t let it get to you too much, kay Krys?” Amber said that night. Krystal let out a small smile but didn’t answer. She was having more mixed feelings after her encounter with Miyoung.

Why does she bring up the money issue too much? Why is the money issue so damn important to her? Krystal sigh in bed, Leo didn’t call that night. They only settled on a goodnight text. Why does she feel like they are back to square one on their relationship? Closing her eyes, Krystal got ready for another round of sleepless night.

 

 

A/N: SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE *BOWS* Will try harder for a faster update. Thank you for the new subscribers! And thank you for stopping by (: