Prologue

Hush.

            “Hi.” Krystal looked behind her, expecting someone to be standing there. But there was no one there, was he really talking to her? The guy was still looking at her, so he must be talking to her after all.

            “Er yeah, hi.” She said awkwardly. She was not a people person to start with.

            “My name is Leo.” Yeah, I know. Krystal wanted to say but held back. She’s sure he knows that he’s quite popular in school. “What’s your name?” He asks when she didn’t say anything. Krystal gave him a look. They’ve been in the same school for years. Even in the same class for their junior year. But she guessed it was normal since she always stayed in the shadows. “I’m Krystal.” She finally says.

            Leo stood there awkwardly. The school was emptying. Graduation day was almost over and everyone was going home. He didn’t know why he did it. He doesn’t talk much. Definitely not the type to approach people first.

            “Is there something that you want or something?” The girl in front of him asks. He almost smiled; she has a cool and soothing voice. In contrast with her cold look. Why is he so attracted to her? There’s just something in her that drawn him so much, enough to let him talk to her. She was hauntingly beautifu tool. Even in her simple white and slightly flowy dress. It hugged her body perfectly. Showing her slim but also curvy body. Her hair was let loose and she was wearing minimal make-up.

            “Leo-sshi?” Krystal repeated herself. People were starting to stare and she hates unwanted attention. Leo snapped back into reality and stopped staring at her. “Do you, er, perhaps want to grab a coffee after this?” Leo almost slapped himself for his terrible way of talking. Krystal’s eyes widen and Leo quickly added “If you don’t have something else to do that is.” She must have made plans with her friends. It is graduation after all.

            Krystal thought it over. Her class was having a party. But that starts at night. Wait, was she really considering to go out with this guy? She barely even knows him. She must’ve lost her sense somehow. “I’m sorry. I can’t.” She answered curtly. Looking at Leo’s expression, she can’t help but feel guilty. He was clearly disappointed and….embarrassed. When was the last time a guy has asked her out? Thinking back, not much of them had the courage to. A downside of having a natural face her friends say. She didn’t really care though; she was never really interested in dating.

            “Oh… okay then, I’ll see you- I mean, I hope we see each other again. Goodbye.” They were both heading to the exit so they ended up walking together in the now empty hallway. There was an awkward silence as the only sound between them was the sounds of their footsteps. They both awkwardly bowed to each other when they finally parted ways.

            “Leo! Over here!” N called out loud. Leo hung his head low, why do his friends have to be so loud?

            “Hyung, what took you so long?” asked Hyuk.

            “It was nothing. Let’s go.” Leo said to them. His friends shrugged, him not telling them much wasn’t new.

            “We graduated today man! Let’s go eat something delicious!” Said N excitedly, putting his arms around Leo.

            “Hakyeon.” Growled Leo. N chuckled and let him go. “Lunch is on me!” The others shouted happily at his announcement.

            Krystal on the other hand was looking enviously at them. ‘Well, at least he has friends.’ She thought sadly to herself. She walked towards her car and the moment she saw her butler standing there, her mood changed into anger.

            “Where’s my dad? He promised to pick me up cause he can’t make it on time.” Her tone turn cold, just like the look she was sending to her butler.

            “I’m sorry agashi. It turns out that his flight was delayed. He won’t be coming.” Krystal rolled her eyes. Of course, what else could his excuse be? Being busy was way overused.

            “You go ahead ahjusshi. I’m not coming with you today.” Butler Lee looked at her with pity in his eyes. She always hated that look.

            “Goodbye.” She bowed and left him before he can stop her. Not that he was planning to of course, once she made up her mind, no one can change it.

            Before Leo got into his car, he stopped and looked behind him. He had this urge to somehow. To his surprise, he saw Krystal walking his way.

            “Hey.” His mouth automatically opened up, surprising himself and his friends. They all stopped what they were doing and looked at him. It was a rare sight, watching Leo talk to someone other than them.  Especially since it was the opposite gender.

            “Oh, hi.” Krystal said. How strange it was. They haven’t parted longer than a few minutes and she already had the feeling of wanting to see him again.

            “I thought you were leaving..?” Slowly, it was getting easier for Leo to talk. He didn’t even know why. “Change of plans.” Krystal answered his unasked question. Leo nods his head with an “Oh.”

            “Aren’t you leaving?” Krystal said, glancing at his friends who were staring at them the whole time. Leo followed her gaze and his friends quickly look away with one glare of his. “Do you want to come with us?” The boys literally gaped at his request. Did their Leo just ask a girl to join them? A girl none other than Krystal Jung who is never asked out because of her cold looks?

            “I don’t think your friends want me…” Again Krystal glances at his friends who began staring again. Leo sent them another glare. “We won’t be sitting with them.” Leo said, causing complaints.

            “Ah hyung! We’re celebrating your graduation.” Said Hongbin with a pout.

            “He’s right.” Ravi said backing Hongbin up.

            “Krystal is graduating too.” Leo stated. N saw the situation and said, “Why not boys? We can make a new friend. Come along Krystal-sshi.” He smiled at her. Krystal lifted up the end of a bit, just a little bit. She wasn’t exactly smiling but anyone who knows her should know that it was rare for her to do that. The boys quickly reacted at her change of expression.

            “She smiled!” Exclaim Hyuk in an amazed whisper. Fortunately, Krystal didn’t hear him. Ken also sent her a genuine smile. “It’s nice to meet you! I’m Ken. That’s N, Ravi, Hongbin and Hyuk.” He introduced the boys one by one by pointing at them. Krystal bowed to them politely, “I’m Krystal.” Again, Ken smiled. “We know.” Leo on the other hand raised his eyebrows, they know? How?

            N ushered the boys into his car. “Why can’t I be with Leo hyung? It’s too cramped up here with five people!” complained Hyuk. N gave him a look which quieted him down. N knows Leo best. Having grown up together, they were basically childhood friends. Leo doesn’t just talk to anyone, and N was silently worried for him. If Leo was finally opening up to someone, he’s not going to ruin it. Even if that someone wasn’t him.

            Compared the ride with N and the others, Leo and Krystal were very very quite. Leo decided to just focus on driving and Krystal decided on looking outside the window or occasionally her phone. It wasn’t too awkward until they got caught in traffic. Leo can’t focus on driving and there isn’t anything to look out the window for.

            “Er, so… why did you suddenly changed you mind?” asks Leo, breaking the silence. Krystal turns to look at him, only to find herself looking away again. She can’t seem to look him in the eye. “Nothing. I just did.” Her answer was curt once again. Silence followed their awkward conversation.

            “Whoa, look at them! They’re barely talking to each other!” said Hongbin. Their car was right behind Leo’s.

            “It must be awkward as hell in there.” Ravi commented.

            “Well, I’m glad I’m not in there. Thanks for saving me hyung. Er, hyung…?” Hyuk shook N.

            “Huh, what?” N finally snap out of it. “What’s wrong with you hyung? Is there something the matter?” asked Ken. N shook his head. “No. Just thinking how much money I have to spend. You guys definitely eat a lot.”

            “Hey! No backing up! You promised!” shouted Hongbin. The boys laughed. “Don’t worry. I’m still buying.” N said with a chuckle. “Oh the light’s green.”

            Everyone finally arrived at the restaurant they agreed to eat in. “By the way, you’re still sitting with us. It’d be rude not toooo~” N sang the last sentence. Leo rolled his eyes and pulled a chair for Krystal. The boys eyed the whole thing. Krystal bowed her head and muttered a small thank you.

            Hyuk nudge Hongbin. “Did you see that?” he mouthed. Hongbin nodded his head vigorously. “So, what do you boys, and girl, want to eat?” N quickly asks them before the boys can make a ruckus over Leo pulling a chair for a girl. “He’s buying.” Leo told Krystal. They were sitting next to each other. “I’ll just get a drink.” Krystal said. “Hey, don’t be like that. N hyung won’t mind. Right hyung?” Ken looked at N. N smiled. “Of course. Order anything you want Krystal-sshi.” Krystal gave a little nod. As the boys talked, she shyly picked from the menu. At last she just ended up with a simple meal while the boys laugh as they ordered as much as they can with a laugh. “Yah! You guys can’t finish that much!” N began to whine. “We’ll bring it back home with us then. Hyung, when will you treat us again?” Hyuk said with a laugh. “He always treat us though.” Ravi said. “See? Can’t you guys be reasonable like Ravi here?!” Leo gave a small chuckle. Krystal heard it and looked at him. He stopped almost immediately. “They are always like this.” He told her. She nods her head again. Not knowing what to say. “Hyung can I order another drink?” Hongbin asked with an innocent smile. “No!” N almost bellowed. He took the menus from them and even gave it to the counter himself.

            The boys talked while Leo and Krystal listened. Sometimes stealing glances at each other. It surprised Krystal that she didn’t really feel that awkward. The boys were quite funny. She noticed that they bullied N quite a lot. Him being the oldest only make it funnier. She didn’t even realized that she even laugh at them from time to time. “The food is here! Wahhhh~ Foood!” Ken bounced at the sight of them food coming. N smacked him. “You’re embarrassing yourself in front of Krystal.” N said. Ken only rolled his eyes, choosing not to comment on that. “Here’s your food Krystal-sshi. Enjoy!” N said again with another big smile plastered on his face. Man does this guy ever stop smiling? Krystal thought with a slight chuckle.

            “Ah, I’m full. Thanks hyung! We should celebrate your graduation more often.” N sent Ken a playful glare which made everyone laugh again. “Thank you for the meal N-sshi. Thank you all for having me.” Krystal said after having the confidence to talk. “Are you leaving already?” Ravi said, her presence was actually nice despite that she didn’t talk much. “Yes. Thank you for inviting me Leo-sshi. I had a great time.” Krystal meant it too. She bowed to them, about to leave when Leo held on her hand. He keeps surprising everyone today. Krystal eyes widen and look at Leo’s hand that is now holding hers. He quickly let go. “Er, I…. can… er…” He was starting to stutter suddenly. N gave a slight chuckle before going to save him. “He wants to drive you home. We can’t let you leave just like that, not very gentlemen of us now right? Is that okay with you Krystal-sshi?” Even though N stated exactly what he wanted to say, he can’t seem to look at Krystal in the eye after that. Krystal almost smiled at the scene, it was…cute. N took that as a yes. “Go ahead Leo. I’ll see you tonight at the party okay? Bye Krystal-sshi!” N waved at her with the boys. Krystal held up her hand and waved back.

            It wasn’t that quite anymore on the way to Krystal’s house. “You have great friends.” Krystal said. She talked first, making Leo smile. “They embarrass me sometimes.” Leo was no longer surprise as why he was talking more with Krystal.

            “At least they make you smile.” She noticed that? Leo thought to himself.

            “I apologize if they were making a fool over themselves too much.” He chuckled.

            “No, no. I actually liked it.”

            “I’m glad.”

            “Me too.” But Leo didn’t hear that last one because Krystal said it barely louder than a whisper, as if she was talking to herself.

            Leo had to hide his awe when they reached Krystal’s house. It was more like a mansion to be honest. Leo could tell it was huge without even entering it.

            “Thank you for the ride Leo-sshi.” Krystal said as she unbuckle her seatbelt.

            “No, no. It’s my pleasure.” Despite his calm voice, he was actually panicking. N had sent a message:

            “You better ask her number before you regret it.”

            He wants to. But the problem is, how? Krystal was thinking the same thing too. She’s not going to deny that she wants to see him again. But how would she tell him that without sounding awkward?

            “Krystal-”

            “Leo-” They spoke at the same time. Only making the situation more awkward. “Er, you go ahead.” Krystal said, looking anywhere but him.

            “Right. I wanted to thank you for coming with me even though I just met you.” He was avoiding eye contact too. He mustered up his courage and spoke more confidently. “And also, I want to meet you again. Soon.” This time he was looking straight into her eyes. Krystal blushed. She even covered her face with her hands, not able to say anything yet. Leo loved the flustered Krystal so much he actually smiled. “So?” He asked when Krystal was still being shy. Little did he know, Krystal was actually hiding a smile beneath her covered face. “I… I want th-that too.” Leo smiled again at her answer and took out his phone. He handed it to her, “Can I have your number?” Getting over herself, she gave him her phone too.

            Leo jogged to go and open her door for her. Making her smile in the process. “Thanks.” She muttered shyly. “I’ll call you tonight.” He said. Krystal nods in respond. She can’t bring herself to tell him that she’ll be waiting for it. Leo waited until she was through the gate before breaking into a huge grin. He even put up his fist in the air. Yes, he was that happy.

            Krystal on the other hand was all smiles as she entered her house. Even her butler was startled at her sudden behaviour. He was expecting the usual frown on her face, maybe even a scowl because she was in a bad mood. But here she was, smiling. Just like Leo is too while driving.

 

            And so, that is how it all started.