Chapter 33

녹 (Rust)

Soo Young’s late husband was an orphan but he was raised by a family who adopted him as a baby. So after he finished his degree, he left Seoul and worked in Singapore for the longest time. That was when he met Soo Young. At that point of time, Soo Young needed a support so they got married shortly after. Unfortunately Soo Young didn’t feel anything much for him while her ex-husband fell deeper for her.

And when Taeyeon came along, Soo Young found herself falling for the girl instead. It was maddening for Soo Young when she realized that she swung the other way. So she confessed to her ex-husband who decided for a divorce.

Soo Young stood quietly in front of her ex-husband’s grave. She didn’t mean to hurt him but she already did. And because of his love for her, he even agreed to give his heart to the one Soo Young cares so much about.

“I’ve done nothing but misdeeds to you. I shouldn’t have hurt you that way. You could have met someone better and you could still be living now. For some reason, I felt like your death was caused by me. I was the one who led you to your death because I wasn’t there to look after you.”

Soo Young’s heart was aching so deeply. She loved him but it was not enough to live with him as his wife. That’s why she felt guilty and could never bring herself to face Taeyeon either.

“Thank you for your heart but I couldn’t bring myself to be with her either. Not when I’m feeling so bad towards you right now.”

Soo Young wiped her tears away. She placed the bouquet of flowers on top of his grave.

“I’m not going back to Seoul. I’ll stay here so that you won’t feel lonely.”

Soo Young wiped the dust milling around his tombstone. She cleaned it before bowing slightly.

“I miss you, Oppa. Please rest in peace.”

Soo Young went back to her home after visiting her ex-husband’s grave. She stopped at her letterbox and pulled out some letters. As she went up to the 7th floor, she noticed someone was waiting outside her front door. She was stunned when she recognized the person.

“Choi Soo Young!”

The person recognized her too.

-

“Anna, hurry up!”

Toby was urging Anna to move faster. Anna chuckled softly.

“Okay, I’m coming.”

“Why are you taking so long?”

“I’m carrying two bags of oranges.”

“Oh. I’ll help you!”

“No, it’s okay. You are already carrying so many things in your arms.”

“I’m a guy! I’m stronger than you!”

Toby grabbed the two bags and Anna was left with no choice. She just allowed Toby to carry them instead. Anna was aware of Toby’s affections for her. According to Toby’s parents, Toby was born like this. He was a little hyperactive as a child and has a slight down syndrome. But the Maguires have never given up on him. They kept him to close by their side.

“Toby, why are we in a hurry?”

“Mom’s waiting for us and I’m pretty hungry now.”

“Oh? I will cook for you.”

“You can cook?”

“Well, I think I can cook Ramen at least.”

“Ramen? What’s Ramen?”

Anna was taken aback with Toby’s question. She couldn’t answer Toby but fortunately, Toby didn’t press further. His concentration span was rather short so he skipped along as he pulled Anna behind him. Anna, on the other hand, was a little perplexed.

Who the hell is she?

What happened to her prior to the fact that she was found at sea?

“Anna, if you’re going to just stand there, we will never get home!”

Toby frowned and Anna chuckled softly.

“I’m sorry. Let’s get home quickly before Mom looks for us.”

“Let’s go!”

Back at home, their mother was watching television as she waited for them. She had sent the pair for grocery shopping. Toby pounced on her.

“Mom!”

“Toby! How many times must I tell you not to do that?”

“But I’m your baby!”

“Yes you are but you’re no longer a tiny baby. You’re a big baby!”

Toby pouted but nevertheless hugged his mother tightly. Anna looked on with a smile. She envied Mrs Maguire’s love for her son. She went to the kitchen instead. Mrs Maguire walked in.

“Did Toby give you a hard time?”

“No, he’s fine.”

“I was a little worried that he might be too handful for you.”

“It’s okay, Mrs Maguire. He’s a joyful to be with.”

Mrs Maguire smiled. She had always wanted a daughter and she was fond of Anna. Although she’s not British but some Asian girl; Mrs Maguire would be happy if Anna could forever remain as her daughter. But she knew it would be selfish of her. Anna’s mother might be waiting for her beloved daughter to return to her.

“Anna, aren’t you planning to find out about your real self?”

Anna turned to look at Mrs Maguire.

“Perhaps you could travel uptown. There are some internet cafes in the uptown areas.”

“I will do that.”

“I really wish to have you as my daughter but I’m sure your mother is waiting for you to come home.”

Anna nodded and tears welled up in her eyes. Mrs Maguire pulled her closer and hugged her. She understood Anna’s pain.

“Don’t cry, my child. We will help you to get home to your family soon.”

Anna smiled. She was just thankful and grateful to her new family. Without them, she might have died at sea.

“Thank you, Mom.”

That was her heartfelt gratitude towards Mrs Maguire.

-

“Yuri?”

“Tiffany, I have found Soo Young’s location!”

Tiffany was on the way home after work when Yuri called her.

“Really?!”

“Yes, she’s in Singapore and I have her address with me.”

“That’s great news!”

“I think I’ll head to Singapore on my own. You should stay here with Jessica. In case, she finds Yoona.”

“Sure, let me know when you’re there. Update me, okay?”

Yuri had booked the plane ticket as soon she had gotten the information from Soo Young’s sister. She had to find Soo Young. Now Yoona was missing too and Jessica wasn’t taking the news well.

She was surprised to find Irene sitting on their doorstep. She was staring into space and Tiffany knew her god-daughter was perplexed as well.

“Irene?”

“Mommy Fany!”

Irene ran towards her and hugged Tiffany tightly.

“Hey.”

“What’s going on, Mommy? Why is Yoona Omma missing? And where is Professor Soo Young?”

“I don’t know, Irene. I’m as confused as you are too.”

“I dreamt of Professor Soo Young. She said goodbye in my dreams.”

Tiffany’s heart fell. She wasn’t too sure if the heart in Taeyeon’s heart was actually Soo Young’s or someone else. She couldn’t comfort Irene although she was desperately trying.

“Dreams are usually the opposite, Irene.”

“Mommy is upset too. She has been trying to call for Yoona omma. But she got nothing and it was killing her. Taeyeon omma is affected too.  I’m really worried for Yoona omma too.”

Tiffany nodded and gently pulled herself away from Irene. She wiped Irene’s tears and then kissed her forehead softly.

“I’ll put my things down first and we’ll go over to your mom’s place. I think she needs me.”

“Okay, I need you too.”

“Alright.”

Tiffany assured Irene.

-

Jessica couldn’t hear anything except for Yoona’s voice lingering in her ears.  She knew something was not right when she couldn’t get through Yoona’s phone. She had called her office and checked with her boss.

“Sorry Jessica. Yoona took a domestic flight and somehow the flight went off from the radar. They couldn’t detect the plane now.”

“What?”

“We’re trying to locate her desperately. The team from UK is doing everything they could to find her.”

Jessica’s heart sank to the deepest pit. Her fears were confirmed. Earlier on, she kept assuring herself that Yoona would be fine but now it was clear to her. Yoona wasn’t busy. She was in danger and missing. She could be dead too.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. We will update you once we get news of her.”

Her boss was apologetic but it didn’t ease the pain in her heart.  She should have known better.

“I’m sorry, Yoona. I’m really sorry. Please, Yoona. Please don’t leave me behind.”

She was on her knees; praying desperately. While she was in despair, Taeyeon was watching from where she was hiding. She heard Jessica’s quivering voice. She knew something was not right when Jessica’s tears fell profusely.

Then she heard Jessica’s sad voice.

“You cannot leave me behind, Yoona. I love you. I love you so much.”

The pain was unbearable but Taeyeon knew Jessica needs her.

“Jessica, please be strong.”

-

Yuri was at the airport. She was waiting to get on the plane. Yuri knew something had happened to Yoona but she needed to find Soo Young first.

“Choi Soo Young, please be alive. Please, please be alive.”

She took out her phone and checked the time. She had called Tiffany earlier on and informed her of her leaving for Singapore. She knew Jessica needs Tiffany for now. She scrolled to her photo gallery and swiped the photos one by one. She stopped at photo of her and Yoona together.

She stared sadly at the photo.

“Im Yoona, you must be alive. You cannot leave us behind. You cannot leave me now.”

Tears fell unknowingly.

-

Thankfully, the flight wasn’t long. Yuri finally reached the international airport in Singapore. She took a deep breath and quickly made her way to the taxi stand. She could speak minimal English and the taxi driver was kind enough to bring her there.

Yuri was marvelled by the sights in Singapore. There were so many tall buildings and it was a modern city. No wonder Soo Young wanted to return to Singapore. After some time, she finally reached her destination.

She took the lift and went up to the level. She was confused at first because there were so many units. She took a quick glance at the crumpled paper in front of her - #07-02. That was the door number.

Yuri chuckled softly when she realized she was standing in front of Soo Young’s unit all the time. She berated herself for being silly and pressed the doorbell. But nobody was answering. Yuri wondered if she should continue to wait or to come again later.

It was still uncertain whether Soo Young would still be here or dead. Of course, Yuri didn’t want to think of death but it was possible that the heart belonged to Soo Young.

She was contemplating when suddenly the lift door was opened. Yuri turned and then her eyes widened. That person stood in front of the lift was someone she knew really well.

Her heart was elated when that someone was none other than Choi Soo Young.

“CHOI SOO YOUNG!”

Yuri screamed her lung out.

-