Chapter 38

녹 (Rust)

Anna was overwhelmed that she was finally back to her birth country. Anna somehow managed to find out about her background. She had some help from the Korean Embassy and finally she returned after much difficulty.

However her husband, Toby had hidden the fact that she was a victim of the plan crash. He had managed to cover it up and lied to his wife about her true identity. Instead, Toby suggested to change her name from Im Yoona to Im Anna. Anna agreed since she realized she was an orphan. She had no family but of course, that was also a lie Toby had shared with her.

But Toby’s love for Anna was too deep that when she pleaded him to let her return; he relented but of course, he was coming along too. Somehow Toby’s parents have decided to help to conceal Anna’s past from her since they noticed how happy their son was. Mrs Maguire knew she was being selfish but she had no choice. Her son’s happiness was all she wanted for him.

The couple got married and Toby was extremely happy to have Anna by his side. Anna had slowly fallen in love with him too but somehow her heart felt uneasy. However the moment she stepped onto Seoul, her heart was beating excitedly. It felt like as though her world has finally settled down.

“So this is Seoul.”

Anna whispered to herself. She looked out of the window and noticed the crowd below her hotel. Toby was busy cooking lunch for them. She joined him in the kitchen. The man smiled widely when he saw his wife approaching him.

“Lunch is almost ready.”

“What are you cooking?”

“Kimchi Fried Rice.”

Anna was taken aback. She saw a recipe taped on their fridge. Her husband has printed out the recipe and cooked for her.

“Do you know how to cook it?”

“I just wanted to give it a try. Now that you know you’re Korean, I’m sure you would love to try your native food.”

Anna was grateful. Her husband might be a little slow and require her utmost attention; but he could be at his sweetest. This was one of the reasons why Anna agreed to marry him.  She gave him a kiss on his forehead.

“What will you be doing after lunch?”

“I’m not sure. Seoul seems huge. I feel like exploring the city.”

“Okay, shall we go together?”

“Sure. Let’s go after lunch.”

-

Lunch was good. Apparently Toby did well. It may not be perfect but it was edible. Anna didn’t really care much. So after lunch, as promised, the couple went out for a walk. Anna was really happy to be in the streets. She felt familiar; like as though she has walked down the road before. Perhaps she did.

As she walked down further; with Toby by her side; she had this dejavu feeling. For some reason, Anna suddenly felt like she knew this street well. Her heart was getting excited.

“Anna? Are you okay?”

“I felt like as though I have walked down this road a couple of times before.”

“Oh? Is it familiar to you?”

“I’m not sure. My heart just feels really excited to be back.”

Toby gave a small smile but his heart was feeling uneasy. He wondered if coming to Seoul was good idea but he could never let his wife down. However Anna was oblivious of her husband. Perhaps she trusted him with all of her heart that she had never had doubts at the back of her mind.

Furthermore, he was the one who saved her when they found her in the middle of the sea. Again, Anna never asked why she was found like that. To Anna, her past was probably hidden and she was given another chance to start anew.

But sometimes Anna wondered. She wondered whether there was something else in her past. Yet, she couldn’t remember or recall anything. There was nothing on her that could trigger her memory. Well, most of her things were hidden away by Toby especially a photo of Anna and another woman.

Suddenly Toby’s phone rang. His parents were calling. Toby stopped to pick up the call but Anna was wandering away from his side. She didn’t realize her husband has stopped somewhere since the reception wasn’t that clear for him.

Anna walked down that familiar road. She looked on her left then right. Then something caught her eye. At the end of the street, there was a fountain. Anna approached the fountain cautiously. She stood in front of it and watched as the streams of water flowing gently down the rocks. The fountain was too familiar.

Vague memories ran across her mind. She couldn’t really remember anything but this fountain was something she had often seen in her dreams. She tried to recall but her head was hurting instead. She rubbed the tip of her nose bridge.  Suddenly something came to her mind and Anna had her eyes open immediately.

She could see something at the back of her mind.

“I sat here before.”

She whispered. Then she closed her eyes once more.

“And I wasn’t alone.”

The fountain has triggered something.

-

Irene spent some time with her girlfriend, Wendy. They were having lunch at Irene’s favourite restaurant. Wendy went through thick and thin with Irene ever since Yoona’s death. It was a difficult time for Irene because her Mommy was struggling to move on. Although Irene didn’t show much; Wendy knew her girlfriend needed someone.

She watched as Irene took a bite of her food and smiled occasionally at Wendy. She had graduated and soon Irene would start working. Wendy pouted her lips when she thought of that. And it didn’t went unnoticed. Irene saw it.

“Why are you so pouty?”

Irene pinched Wendy’s lips playfully.

“You will start working in big firm.”

“And?”

“Prettier women would start surrounding you.”

Irene grinned.

“But I already have a prettiest girlfriend in the world.”

Wendy was blushing immediately before smiling widely at the older girl.

“I can never throw you away. I could never let you go because the only one person who stood by me when I needed someone was you. The way you love me, I don’t think I could get it from someone else. So, please believe me. The only one girl in my life is you.”

Irene was serious when she declared her love for Wendy. Wendy couldn’t be happier and she wrapped her arms around Irene tightly.

“I’m just so glad that you pulled through. I was so scared when I saw you losing yourself since Aunt Yoona’s death. I’m just glad that you allowed me to stay by your side.”

“Since when you get so mushy with me?”

“Well, I was just afraid. You’re beautiful and y.”

“My heart is with you, baby. So don’t worry. There’s no way I’m going to give you up.”

Irene leaned closer and kissed her. It was a perfect afternoon for the two young ladies. After their lunch, they decided to hang out somewhere else. The two girls walked hand in hand; ignoring the whole world. They could judge them all they want. The two girls couldn’t care anymore.

They were holding hands and playing a fool with each other. They were slowly approaching the fountain; the same fountain where Anna was. The girls walked past where Anna was sitting but unfortunately, their view were blocked by a van that was suddenly stopped next to the fountain.

And Anna was looking away when Irene suddenly turned around. She didn’t notice Anna. And by the time Anna turned back to face Irene’s position, the younger girl was facing Wendy. Wendy’s back was facing Anna so both girls couldn’t see her unfortunately.

And Anna suddenly realized Toby was missing and she stood up to look for him. She walked on the opposite while the girls wandered further away from her.

They missed each other by a split second.

-

“Where are you, baby?”

Jessica was driving while chatting on the phone with her daughter. She was supposed to pick up the girls earlier on but Jessica was stuck in the office. She has promised to bring Irene and Wendy out for dinner.

“Oh? Okay, Mommy is just around the corner. I’ll meet you by the fountain.”

The fountain.

That fountain has memories of Yoona. Their very first official date was at that fountain. They even had their first dance there.

Jessica smiled widely as her memory kept playing.

“Hurry!”

“Yoona, what are you doing?!”

Jessica was dragged along by Yoona. The younger lady was too eager to reach to some place. It was almost midnight and the street was almost empty. The shops were closed and people were heading home.

“Im Yoona, where are we going? The shops are closed!”

“We still have 10 minutes more!”

“10 minutes for?”

“Just wait and see!”

Jessica gave up and allowed herself being pulled along by Yoona. They were adults but yet whenever Jessica was with Yoona; she miraculously changed into a young girl instead. Yoona was the only one who could make her feel that way.

She wouldn’t mind if Yoona was a little immature at times. But when needed for Yoona to act maturely, she would impress Jessica naturally. After a while, Jessica spotted a fountain from far. And somehow Yoona was heading to that direction.

“YA~ please don’t tell me you’re going to that fountain?”

“That fountain is special!”

“I don’t have extra clothes!”

“It’s okay! Nobody’s around.”

“What’s with you and that fountain?!”

Yoona grinned widely. They were coming closer and then suddenly Jessica saw something. It was a laser show with the words appearing against the fountain. Jessica squinted her eyes and then saw her name.

JESSICA JUNG, WILL YOU ALWAYS STAY BY MY SIDE? I PROMISE I WILL BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!

The whole message appeared just nice as Jessica stood there in awe. Yoona stood next to her with a huge smile on her face. It might not be much but Jessica was touched. Her heart was moved with Yoona’s simple confession. She wrapped her arms around Yoona tightly.

“You’re such a silly woman.”

“I’m immature, right?”

“Immaturely cute. I think I’m okay if you’re like this.”

“What do you mean?”

Jessica grinned before kissing Yoona gently on her lips.

“You’re so playful. You keep me balance. I’m too serious and sometimes I’m boring in person. But you, you always make me feel like I can do anything. And even if I just want to hang out and do nothing; I know it would always be fun; just as long as you’re with me.”

Yoona smiled.

“So you’re saying you’ll stay by my side?”

“Forever and ever. You’re never going to be far away from me.”

Jessica sighed. She remembered those moments where the two of them were behaving like children in front of fountain. And the promise she made – she had forgotten about it when Taeyeon came along.

It was probably because of the broken promise that God took Yoona away from her. If only she had kept that promise, perhaps Yoona would be with her somehow.

Jessica sat the very same spot where Anna had sat down earlier on. That was the exact spot where both shared their very first kiss on their first official date. Her daughter and her girlfriend were there earlier on but they had gone shopping while waiting for her.

Jessica put on her black shades as she crossed her leg. She took out her phone and touched the screen gently. The phone was lit up and a photo of Yoona was smiling at her. She grazed her thumb gently as she imagined herself caressing Yoona’s lips.

God, she’s so beautiful. Jessica couldn’t stop smiling as her mind was thinking of that one woman she loves so much till now. She was so immersed with the photo in front of her that she didn’t realize that the woman in question was walking in front of her.

Anna was still searching for her husband. She had been walking around the area for a couple of times. But Toby was nowhere to be found. For some reason, her heart led her back to the fountain and now she stood in front of Jessica.

They were really close. Too close for comfort but both were too preoccupied with whatever they were doing – one was staring intently at the photo while the other was searching intently for someone else.

“Mommy!”

Irene shouted across the road. Anna was standing; with her back facing Irene. Jessica looked up immediately as Anna turned around to face Irene. And in that split second, Irene stood still. Wendy’s mouth was wide open.

And Jessica was puzzled as she saw Irene’s expression.  She quickly approached Irene. She walked past Anna but she was too focused on Irene. She shook her daughter’s shoulders.

“Irene? What’s wrong?”

But Irene and Wendy just stayed still. Their eyes were focused on a certain someone. Jessica was even more bewildered when the girls couldn’t respond to her at all. So she finally decided to turn to see what made the girls froze with time.

And at that moment as she turned, Anna was standing fully facing them. Jessica’s breath hitched for a second and the phone in her hand fell.

Time stood still. Her heart plunged.

“Isn’t that Aunt Yoona?”

Wendy finally said something.

-

Toby was restless. Anna was missing. He was on the phone and Anna must have wandered off without realizing that he wasn’t following her.

He started to hyperventilate. He was worried because firstly Anna was missing and secondly, he was in some foreign country. He couldn’t speak Korean and he wasn’t sociable unlike Anna.

He was walking briskly around the area then slowly as he started to panic; he ran across the roads. He screamed for Anna’s name; not caring about others who were staring at him.

Who was this foreign person going berserk in the middle of street?

“ANNA!”

He was screaming helplessly. He would turn crazy if Anna was not with him.

“ANNA! ANNA!”

He ran past people; bumping into them without care. Some were annoyed and some were brushing him off. Toby was like a complete lost child and he was tearing up.

His legs were getting tired but he wouldn’t give in. For some reason, he ran down the same street where Anna crossed earlier on. He was heading for the fountain when he suddenly saw Anna’s stricken face. She was worried. She was crazily worried.

“ANNA!”

He screamed out her name and that got her attention. She ran towards him and he was leaping forward to get closer to her. He threw himself at her as Anna wrapped her arms around him protectively. His breathing was haggard and Anna knew he was getting a panic attack.

“Calm down, baby. Just calm down. I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.”

She soothed him as she patted his back like a child.

“I’m sorry. I was on the phone with Mom and Dad. I didn’t see you!”

“Yes, I know. I’m sorry too. I was too occupied with my own things that I totally forgot about you. It’s okay now. I’m here.”

Anna pulled him away and then kissed his forehead softly.

“I love you.”

He said softly. And Anna replied the same.

“I love you too.”

And at the same time, those same 3 words shook someone’s world.

“Yoona, no… you cannot love him.”

Jessica whispered softly.

“I’m right here. I’m still here, Yoona. You’re mine.”

But Jessica couldn’t bring herself to move closer.