Chapter 37

녹 (Rust)

Irene was graduating from university. She had completed her degree and Jessica couldn’t be more proud of her daughter. Irene moved on. That past year was really tough and rough for her but she endured it and moved on with her Mommy.  Jessica has accepted the fact that Yoona is gone forever but she hasn’t stopped loving the woman.

Everything was slowly changing to a normal pace. It had been the most torturing, devastating and depressing one year. Jessica couldn’t stop the pain. She couldn’t stop crying and sometimes she wished she could die but Irene saved her. Irene’s presence made her realized that she’s still a mother to a beautiful lady.

So Jessica decided to concentrate on her daughter. Taeyeon had decided to move out of Tiffany’s place after she had made a full complete recovery. The pair was still meeting up with each other but both avoided the matters of the heart.

“Mommy, is Omma coming to my convocation?”

“Of course she will.”

Irene smiled widely before running up to her room. Tiffany was busy putting her make-up and Yuri was staring into empty space. Jessica watched as Yuri’s eyes looked vacant and she knew Yuri was thinking of Yoona. It was obvious that among all, Yuri was struggling to get over her cousin’s death. Jessica sighed before sitting next to Yuri. The other turned to look at her.

“What?”

“Stop staring into space.”

“I was bored.”

“Are we really that boring to you?”

“No, not really but you girls took a long time to dress up and everything.”

Yuri looked up and pointed to her own girlfriend.

“Look at Tiffany. She’s dressing up like as though she’s the one graduating.”

Her face got smacked with a cushion. Jessica giggled before throwing the cushion back at Tiffany.

“Okay. I was just worried that your mind would wander elsewhere.”

Yuri smiled knowingly before shaking her head.

“She’s in a better place now. She’s with God. And I think she’s probably laughing at us now especially Tiffany Hwang. And I’m pretty sure she’s proud of Irene today.”

Yuri pulled Jessica closer and hugged her tightly. Both girls struggled really hard to accept the harsh truth. For some reason, they found comfort in each other.

“Thank you for being a stronger person, Sica. I’m so glad that you could move on with your life.”

Jessica shook her head; her eyes went teary. But her smile was still as wide as before.

“Like you’ve said, Yoona is probably smiling down from heaven. I want her to know that I’ll live my life like as though she has never left my side.”

Tiffany watched as her best friend and her girlfriend comforting each other. She was glad that they could brave this together but she started to feel uncomfortable. Jessica was getting too cosy with her girlfriend. She squeezed between them.

“Do you mind?”

“Tiffany, I have only hugged Yuri for like miserable 5 minutes?”

“Yuri’s too y. Many girls tried to hug her by using that miserable 5 minutes.”

“You’re in your 40s, Fany; not a teenager anymore!

“I don’t care!”

Jessica rolled her eyes but nevertheless made way for the couple to reunite. Just then, Irene walked down the stairs; looking so pretty in white. Jessica designed that white blouse for her. She wanted her daughter to look good.

“Wow, my daughter is a graduate now.”

Jessica’s eyes were watery as Irene wrapped her arms around her Mommy.

“It felt like yesterday when I quietly peeped into your room when you were getting ready for your first day of school.”

Jessica confessed; Irene was surprised.

“You were awake?”

“Yeah, I saw your Tiffany Mommy running around; preparing for your first day of school. I was equally excited and nervous but I couldn’t show it. You looked so pretty in your pink school uniform. You were smiling so widely and I was really proud of my little girl. I just couldn’t believe I gave up on those memories.”

Irene shook her head and smiled.

“Well at least you’re with me now. I’m really happy that you’re with me now, Mommy. You have went through so much and I couldn’t erase some painful moments of your life but I promise I’ll take good care of you when you get old one day.”

Jessica nodded. It was good enough.  Irene continued.

“This time, I have my Mommy and Omma with me. I have two moms who love me so unconditionally.”

“Ahem.”

Yuri was clearing . Irene grinned.

“And not forgetting my two godmas who literally took care of me; watched me grew up.”

“You’re welcome.”

Tiffany hit Yuri’s arm and chided her for teasing Irene.

“Oh. I have something. Hang on.”

Irene took out a photo frame from her paper bag. It was a photo of Yoona and Jessica together. Jessica stared hard at the photo. It was her first time. She hasn’t seen this photo before.

“I took this photo from Taeyeon Omma’s phone. She secretly took a photo of you when the two of you were together. I wanted to give to Mommy.”

Irene gave to her mother. Jessica was staring fondly at Yoona’s smiling face. Her heart ached but she maintained a smile on her face.

“I miss Yoona Omma. I wish she was here with us. I wanted her to be with us and taking a family photo together.”

Irene’s mood flickered. But Jessica was not going to spoil it. It was her daughter’s big day and her focus should only be on her beautiful daughter.

“She’s always with us here in our hearts. She could be standing next to us; smiling proudly because of what you’ve achieved, Irene. And today is your big day. Let’s go out there with happy smiles. Okay?”

Irene nodded eagerly and hugged her mother. Yuri ruffled Irene’s fringe and Tiffany patted on her back. They were preparing to leave when Taeyeon finally appeared at the front door.

“Am I late?”

“OMMA!”

“Oof!”

Irene literally jumped on her mother. Taeyeon struggled with her daughter’s weight.

“Irene Jung, you’re an adult!”

Jessica had to run to Taeyeon’s rescue and smacked Irene’s forehead. Taeyeon giggled before pulling her daughter closer to her. 20 years without her daughter and Jessica made her regretted time after time. But now she was utmost grateful to be with her daughter on her graduation day.

She may have lost her wife but Taeyeon knew the only thing she could do now was to focus on her only child – Irene Jung.

“Here, I got this for you.”

She pulled out a bouquet of flowers and gave it to her daughter. Her mini-me.

“Taeyeon, did you rush from airport?”

“Yeah, I was so scared that I might missed her convocation.”

“Where did you come from?”

Yuri stood next to Taeyeon.

“I came from Singapore. I had a meeting.”

“Singapore?”

Yuri turned to look at Tiffany.

“Yeah, Singapore. Why?”

“Nothing, I was just asking.”

“Okay then. Let’s go.”

Taeyeon led the way with Irene in her arms. The pair was really happy to see each other and Jessica smiled widely. She was just glad that her daughter was happy again.

She watched as Jessica tidied her daughter’s hair. Their daughter smiled widely; happiness was evident in her eyes. Her attention then went to the photo frame in Jessica’s hands. It was a photo of Yoona and Jessica. She sighed softly.

“Why?”

She was startled by an invading voice next to her. She turned to find Tiffany smiling at her.

“Nothing. I was just thinking of Yoona.”

“You’re okay with it?”

“Hm? I don’t have a choice, Tiffany. Jessica made her choice.”

“You’re not going to try to win her back?”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“I’ve lost Jessica since Yoona entered into her life. And now Yoona is gone but Jessica’s heart is only for Yoona. And I’m not going to invade that space anymore.”

Tiffany nodded as she empathized with Taeyeon. But all she wanted for her friends to be happy and that includes Taeyeon.

“Hang on. When are you going to pop the question to Yuri?”

Tiffany shushed Taeyeon immediately. She placed her palm on Taeyeon’s mouth.

“She doesn’t know yet!”

Taeyeon’s eyes danced with mischief and Tiffany rolled her eyes. She smacked Taeyeon’s forehead; the other was giggling away.

“You dragged me to buy that ring and then you chickened out?!”

“I did not! I’m just waiting for the right time. She was mourning over Yoona’s death and I couldn’t just swoosh in.”

“You better do it soon before this slips out from my mouth.”

Yuri was staring at the pair. She knew something was up between her girlfriend and Taeyeon. Tiffany hated that woman to the core before. She tugged on Jessica’s sleeves.

“What?”

“Can you look at them? Why are they so cosy like that?”

Jessica looked up to where Yuri pointed. She saw her ex-wife and Tiffany being chummy. She frowned.

“I thought Tiffany hates my ex-wife?”

“My sentiments exactly!”

“But they have gotten closer lately.”

Yuri’s eyes widened.

“THEY DO?!”

“Kwon Yuri, they’re just talking and laughing.”

“Tiffany’s beautiful.”

“I cannot believe both of you act like bunch of teenagers; getting jealous over little things!”

Yuri pouted her lips and Jessica rolled her eyes. Suddenly, an evil smile plastered on Jessica’s face.

“You wanna make them jealous?”

“What are you going to do?”

“You know, Tiffany’s jealousy is worse than yours.”

“Shall we kiss?!”

“You’re sure excited don’t you?”

“So do you want to kiss me or not?”

“No, I don’t! I think a hug can overkill Tiffany.”

“Let’s do it!”

“YA!”

Yuri didn’t wait for Jessica to react and pulled the latter closer to her. She hugged Jessica tightly; and waited.

Well, she didn’t have to wait for long.

“KWON YURI! JESSICA JUNG!”

A boisterous loud voice could be heard.

“Nailed it!”

Because of her mommies’ immature moments, Irene was almost late for her convocation.

-

“That was a beautiful ceremony!”

Jessica was in awe. Her daughter shone the most on the stage. Her beautiful baby girl wore her graduation gown and her cute mortarboard. She was the prettiest among the girls on the stage. And when her name was called out by the announcer, there was sudden surge of emotions enveloping Jessica and she could never be more proud of her daughter.

And her little girl waved at her as she walked down the steps. Her dorkiness was equivalent to Taeyeon’s and Jessica had to admit that she was really glad to have this girl with Taeyeon. She turned to look at Taeyeon who was equally awed. Her eyes were glistering and the smile has never left Taeyeon’s face.

She slipped her hand into Taeyeon’s; urging the lady to look down to their intertwined fingers. She then smiled; that dorkiness oozed immediately.

“She’s so beautiful, Sica-ah!”

Taeyeon gushed over their daughter; Taeyeon probably felt the same way as she did.

“Thank you, Taeyeon.”

“Why are you thanking me for?”

“For Irene. For our Sarang.”

Taeyeon’s eyes softened as she put her left arm around Sica’s shoulders. The ceremony has ended and now the guests were invited to the reception. Yuri and Tiffany were already leaving as they were really famished throughout the 2 hour ceremony.

Taeyeon squeezed Jessica’s shoulders gently before turning the lady to face her properly. She wiped the tear streaks from the corner of Jessica’s eyes and smiled.

“I should be the one thanking you for everything. You brought Irene into this world. You gave me the perfect gift, Sica. I have wasted 20 years with you and Irene. And I know this heart has no me but I’m so glad to be part of Irene’s life. This is enough, Jessica. This is truly enough for me to make it up to you.”

Taeyeon was sincere and Jessica could feel it. She nodded before Taeyeon pulled her closer.

“I promised Yoona. I’ll take good care of you for the rest of my life.”

A tear rolled down from Jessica’s eyes.

“I miss her, Tae. I miss her so much.”

“I know, Jessica. I know.”

-

After the ceremony was over, Irene left with Wendy to celebrate with her uni mates. Jessica decided to allow her daughter to spend time with her girlfriend. Yuri and Tiffany headed home and Taeyeon had to return to her office. Jessica was left alone.

She dropped her daughter and her girlfriend off before heading to somewhere. The skies were turning dark grey and suddenly it rained heavily. She the radio and there was a sad song playing. It filled the silence of Jessica’s BMW and Jessica’s eyes glistened without warning.

To Heaven – Jo Sung Mo

(English translation – listen to it. It’s really nice)


Are you alright? How are you these days?
You aren't crying because Im not there are you?
You used to come in my dreams every night
But why can't I see you these days?

Did something happen?
Did you go far away so that you can't come to me?
Are you mad because I try to look like Im fine without you?
So are you just playing a joke on me as well?

When it is raining, are you hiding behind a cloud and crying?
All I do is worry about you, please don't do this to me
You know how I can't easily forget you just because I can't see you

In case I was having a hard time without you,
I kept your place empty so that I can meet a new love
But all I can fill in that place is despair

Dont be sorry even if you are far away
Your image from before is still filled up inside of me
It wont take that long until we meet in that place where theres no goodbye
Until then, just wait for me a little longer

 

Her memories of Yoona were on replay mode lately. She couldn’t help but feeling at loss because Yoona was gone for good. Tears were all dried up. Jessica couldn’t cry anymore because she knew Yoona would not like that.

The song was filling her heart with sadness and one thing Jessica regretted was not spending that last few moments with Yoona because of Taeyeon. If she knew Yoona would be gone like this, she would have held on tightly.

“I love you.”

Her lips moved. She has said those 3 words every single day. She placed the photo frame that Irene had given to her on the dashboard of her car. Her eyes were transfixed on Yoona.

“Give me a little while. I’m on the way there.”

She gently caressed the photo with her thumb.

-

She stood in front of the memorial wall. There was tiny space for Yoona. Her body was never found but Yuri went ahead and erected a memorial table for Yoona. They placed her favourite things and Jessica bought 2 wedding bands. She put one in Yoona’s memorable table and she wore one on her finger.

She stared at Yoona’s smiling face. Her heart ached but she knew it wasn’t Yoona’s fault. It was nobody’s fault. Life was so unpredictable. She could only live on.

“Hi baby. How are you today? Did you watch Irene’s convocation? Isn’t she beautiful?”

Jessica whispered softly. There was only silence in the air but Jessica continued.

“I miss you, baby. I miss you so much. It has been a year and I’m still in so much pain. But I’m not blaming you. I don’t have the right to blame on you, baby. I could only blame on myself for not giving you the best of me when we were still together. I have regretted this so much but no matter how hard I tried, I could never rewind back time.”

Jessica sat down on the marble floor. It was really cold but she had no place to go. She just wanted to stay near Yoona and if this was the only way; she couldn’t care much about the coldness.

“I kept thinking about how scary it would be for you. What was on your mind when the plane crashed into the sea? You would probably screaming out for my name, right?”

“I love you, Yoona. I love you so much. I don’t really care if you were no longer here with me. I’d still love you for the rest of my life. I wished I have said those words more often than I did before. You made me happy, Yoona.”

Jessica stood up and rested her forehead against the glass panel. She stared at Yoona’s photo. All of her memories of Yoona were playing on her mind. She could still feel Yoona’s lips on hers. She could almost felt the warmth when Yoona used to hold her in her arms.

“I wish you were here, Yoona.”

-

Taeyeon was busy reading proposals when her superior knocked on her door. She greeted them quickly before ushering them in. She took over Yoona’s office after her demise. She was hesitant at first but her superiors convinced her to stay. However Taeyeon didn’t remove Yoona’s belongings. A photo of Yoona and Jessica was still standing on her desk. One of her superiors noticed it. He picked it up.

“Boss?”

Taeyeon spotted him staring at the photo.

“I miss Yoona. She was such a joy in the office. You had no idea how upset and broken I was when I found out we have lost one of our important employees. Yoona was the biggest asset in our company.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“She’s more than just a colleague to me. She’s like my sister.”

“I understand. You used to stay with her when you both worked in Singapore office, right?”

“I lost a sister, Boss.”

“That’s why you left her things just like how they were?”

“Yup, I don’t want to remove her memories.”

Her boss empathized with Taeyeon. He didn’t stop her when Taeyeon refused to remove Yoona’s things. He was glad that he could persuade Taeyeon to come back. The group went on with the meeting and the secretary passed Taeyeon her schedule.

She looked through and realized that she had to return to Singapore for meetings from time to time. She was glad to have things to do.

“These meetings would last for 2-3 days. So you might need to stay in Singapore longer. The office in Singapore has rented an apartment for you to stay. And we have employed an assistant for you.”

“In Singapore?”

“Yeah, so that you can have someone to help you with the work load.”

“Okay.”

The secretary pulled out a resume and placed it in front of Taeyeon. Taeyeon glanced through her name.

“Choi Summer?”

“Yeah, that’s her name.”

“Oh okay.”

Taeyeon didn’t read further and put it away. She was more focused with the meetings. The boss and his assistants left Taeyeon alone after the meeting. Taeyeon welcomed this because she needed a distraction. At least she wouldn’t spend time brooding over Jessica or Yoona.

It was almost 8pm and Taeyeon was still in the office. Most of her subordinates left for the night but Taeyeon was still looking through her presentation materials. She skipped dinner and had only ate kimbap for lunch. Her stomach was growling but being a workaholic; Taeyeon was used to it. She was so engrossed with her files when she didn’t realize someone had entered her office. The person circled around the staff lounge before she stood in front of Taeyeon’s door. She watched as Taeyeon’s concentrated eyes staring into her files. She sighed.

“Don’t you eat anymore?”

Taeyeon looked up immediately. She was surprised to find a familiar someone walking towards her. She threw her files on the table and rushed up towards the person.

“What are you doing here?”

“I called your assistant. She said you’re still in the office and you didn’t eat.”

“Ah, you could have called me.”

“I did, you didn’t answer.”

Taeyeon frowned before reaching out for her phone. Indeed, there were 5 missed calls from the said person.

“I’m sorry. I was worried about the presentation.”

“You still need eat, Kim Taeyeon. You have recovered so now you have to watch your health.”

“You still care about me, Jessica.”

Jessica placed the packet food on the table before turning around to face her ex-wife. She knew Taeyeon still loves her but that was no way she could accept her back in her heart. She only wanted one person – Yoona.

“Taeyeon..”

“I know, I understand. We have divorced now.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry; it was never your fault.”

-

Jessica was sleeping on her bed. It has been 4 months since Yoona passed on. There was no news of her body; nothing and they have since closed the plane crash accident. Yuri did a memorial service for Yoona and erected a memorial table for her. But Jessica was still lost in her own world.

She refused to eat. She refused to move. She refused to do anything and she ignored everyone in the house including Irene. She stayed at Yoona’s place because the place had traces of Yoona. Her scent was still in her room and Jessica hid herself under Yoona’s blanket.

Everyone watched as Jessica struggled to move on. She has lost some weight and it was troubling Taeyeon to watch her wife withered like a dead flower. She blamed herself again and again but she knew it was just redundant. As much as she wanted to see Jessica’s smile; she knew it would take a long time before she could see Jessica again.

And she knew she had to do something.

“What? Are you serious?”

Taeyeon had a long discussion with Tiffany. She needed to do something and she wanted Tiffany’s thoughts.

“Jessica blamed herself for Yoona’s death. She said if she had made a proper decision; a firm decision between me and Yoona; Yoona would not have left. She would still have chances to hold on to Yoona.”

“Taeyeon, you do know how messy Jessica is right now. She’s not thinking straight. She’s in her own world and mourning over Yoona’s death.”

“Tiffany ah, her heart is no longer mine. She loves Yoona. And she will always love Yoona. I know Jessica. I gave it up and 20 years later, I was a coward. I didn’t return for her. So now, I should end this once and for all.”

“Are you sure about this? You won’t regret asking for divorce?”

“I’m already regretting it right from the very beginning.”

“Then Irene?”

“I’m still her Omma. I’ll take responsibility of my daughter. We can share custody.”

“Alright, seems like you have decided to end this marriage. But I hope you won’t run away and hide again. Jessica needs us. She probably needs you too.”

Taeyeon smiled widely.

“Rest assured, Fany. I won’t run away this time. I’ll stay by her side. It’s just that this marriage is over.”

-

“Are you okay?”

Taeyeon was concerned when Jessica greeted her with horrible eye bags.

“I know I look like .”

“No, you’re still beautiful.”

Jessica managed a soft smile before pulling the blanket over her forehead. Although Jessica was hiding like a hermit crab in Yoona’s room, Taeyeon was still the only person who could invade her small space.

“It’s already 2pm. You need to eat.”

“I have already eaten.”

“Really? Do you?”

“Yes I did. Irene brought me something. She ate with me.”

Jessica pointed to the table. There were remnants of plastic Tupperware on the table. Taeyeon was pleased that Jessica had eaten something at least.

“Irene was pleading with me to eat. She said she cooked for her Mommy. I cannot let her down.”

“Good, at least our daughter has a control over you.”

“Why are you here?”

“I came to see you. Tiffany was horrified when you told her you haven’t showered for a week.”

“I didn’t go out.”

“Still, our skin sheds every day.”

A blanket was thrown away and Jessica sat up immediately. She stared at Taeyeon.

“What did you say?”

“You do know that our skin sheds every day, right?”

“Like a snake?”

“Why do you look so surprised?”

“You’re freaking me out.”

“I’ll prepare your bath. Then you can see for yourself.”

Taeyeon patted Jessica’s head before heading to the bathroom. Soon, the tub was filled with bath salt and bubbles. She even burnt some incense candles to alleviate the mood. She was about to call for Jessica when she saw the woman standing in front of her. She was in her bathrobe; underneath.

“You’re loving this.”

“You scared the out of me about the shedding skin.”

“Just take a bath and I promise you. You’ll feel better.”

Jessica stripped herself. Taeyeon’s eyes popped out.

“What did you do?”

“What?”

“Do you have to?”

“Oh.”

“I’m sorry. I was just eager to get into the tub.”

Taeyeon turned away to give Jessica some personal time. She could hear a gentle splash and she peeked over her shoulder. Jessica was comfortably lying against the tub. She closed her eyes and Taeyeon could see her cheek muscles relaxed immediately.

She was about to leave but Jessica stopped her.

“Don’t leave me alone, Tae.”

She turned to look at Jessica.

“I’m tired of being alone. I’m sorry I know I’m selfish but please, stay with me.”

“Okay.”

Both sat in silence; Taeyeon at the edge of the tub. She could see the outline of Jessica’s s and her smooth silky skin was shining against the light. Jessica’s eyes were shut. She was obviously enjoying the moment. Taeyeon looked on; mentally tracing the lady’s facial lines quietly.

“I heard from Tiffany you have something to tell me.”

Jessica suddenly spoke up but her eyes were still closed. Taeyeon sighed.

“I have prepared the divorce papers.”

She whispered softly but Jessica could hear it clearly.

“I mean it’s about time we end this marriage. You held on to me because of my condition. Yoona was deprived of your attention because of me and now she’s gone. I know I sound selfish but your heart is no longer mine, Jessica.”

“It was never your fault, Tae. I was the indecisive one.”

“Yoona loves you so much, Jessica. I wished I could rewind the time and maybe she wouldn’t have chosen to leave Seoul.”

Tears fell from the corner of Jessica’s eyes.

“You didn’t plan for the plane to crash, Taeyeon.”

“I know but I feel guilty.”

Jessica sat upright and Taeyeon moved away. She turned away but Jessica held her face tightly in her palms. She smiled and then kissed Taeyeon’s lips gently.

“I’m sorry that my heart loves someone else. But you have to understand that I care for you. I care about you a lot and I worry from time to time. Irene needs us; she needs both of us.”

“Rest assured, Jessica. I’ll always be around. I’m not going to walk away this time. I’ll stay with you when you need me.”

-

“Irene, I have a plane to catch. How am I supposed to leave when you’re like hanging on to me like a koala bear?”

“Omma, you will be away longer this time. I’ll miss you!”

“It’s only a week, baby.”

“STILL! Who’s going to play WII with me?!”

“You have your Yuri Omma.”

“Yuri Omma is going to busy now since Tiffany Mommy proposed.”

“Oh right.”

“HEY! I can still play WII with you. I used to do that!”

“Tiffany Mommy needs you!”

“Oh come on, she will let me play!”

Yuri suddenly became unsure and turned to Tiffany. She raised her eyebrows in amusement.

“You will, right?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes before tearing Irene away from Taeyeon. The poor woman was already small and petite. Her daughter was crushing her.

“You can bring your Yuri Omma to Taeyeon Omma’s house to play WII. I’ll spend time with Sica Mommy.”

“Why am I in this picture?”

“Your daughter is taking my wife away from me so I’m going to take you away from her.”

Jessica then smacked Taeyeon.

“It’s all your fault! Why do you need to be away for so long?!”

Taeyeon sulked.

“You’re women in their forties. Can you behave like one?”

“You play WII, Taeyeon.”

“It’s a family game!”

“Okay, enough. Taeyeon, you’ll miss your fight if you continue this family skit. We will see you in a week’s time. Be safe and YOU BETTER GET ME THE THINGS I WANT FOR MY WEDDING!”

Tiffany eyed Taeyeon and the woman recoiled in the corner. Tiffany had given her a list of things to buy. She had proposed to Yuri and the woman accepted it with open arms.

“Yes Maam!”

Irene hugged her Omma tightly before clinging onto her Mommy. Irene has separation issues. Ever since the family of three got closer, Irene was always in the companion of both of her mothers. Jessica and Taeyeon decided that they should keep a close relationship because of Irene.

The girl knew her mothers were divorced. And she didn’t really mind because it was their choice after all. Her Jessica Mommy loves her Yoona omma. And she knew even though Yoona Omma has returned to heaven; her Jessica Mommy will never stop.

But she was relieved when Taeyeon promised that she would stay by her side. And her mothers were still close. They could even joke with each other. But Taeyeon had been travelling a lot for her work. She would usually take 2-3 days but this time she would be away for a week.

Irene was sulking away when she realized she won’t see Taeyeon for a week. And Jessica had to promise that they would skype with Taeyeon every single night.

“Be good and listen to your Jessica Mommy.”

“You have to skype with us every night.”

“I will, baby. You need to take good care of yourself.”

Irene nodded as Taeyeon patted her hair gently. She kissed her daughter’s cheek before turning to face Jessica. Jessica leaned closer and hugged Taeyeon.

“Remember your food. Don’t skip meals and please take your medicine if the pain comes.”

“I will, Jessica. You have been telling me since yesterday.”

“Don’t think I don’t know how lazy you could get.”

“Fine. I promise I will be a good girl.”

Yuri and Tiffany were looking on with a smile. They didn’t really say much about the divorce but Tiffany finally realized the goodness of the divorce. Taeyeon and Jessica were much closer than before. Probably the emotional baggage was no longer there.

“Alright, I’m going now. Good bye~”

Taeyeon walked towards the departure gate and Irene was waving eagerly. Jessica put her arm around her daughter and Tiffany was hugging Yuri.

While Taeyeon was leaving; someone had just stepped into Korea. It took her a long time to return. It took her one year.

But she was not alone.

“Baby!”

The tall slender lady turned to find her husband pushing the trolley out of the airport.

“Toby, I’m sorry. I was too eager.”

“It’s okay. You must be glad to find out about your birth country.”

“Yeah, but I still cannot remember anything.”

Toby reached out for the lady’s hand and cupped it gently in his.

“Don’t worry. We’re here now. I love you, Anna.”

Anna smiled and then kissed Toby on his lips.

“I love you too.”

-

Jessica and Irene were walking towards the waiting point. Yuri and Tiffany went ahead first to retrieve the car. The mother and daughter were waiting for them. Irene was already on the phone; busy messaging Wendy while Jessica sat with her legs crossed. She took out her phone and pressed it. A photo of Yoona appeared on her lock screen.

She smiled widely as she caressed Yoona’s photo gently. How much she misses Yoona; only God knows. Just then, she heard a voice – a certain familiar voice that sounded so much like Yoona.

And when she turned; she saw a Caucasian guy putting his luggage at the back of the taxi and a woman was inside waiting for him.

“Be careful, baby.”

Jessica was alarmed at the familiar voice but she couldn’t see the woman inside. She was about to stand up and get closer to the cab when someone accidentally bumped into her. She was startled.

“Hey, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I’m fine.”

“Here, your phone.”

The stranger picked it up and passed it back to Jessica. And Jessica thanked him. She was more interested in the woman in the cab. Unfortunately, the cab drove off and Jessica couldn’t see the woman.

She stared at the cab which had slowly disappeared from view.

“She really sounded like Yoona.”

Jessica sighed; mentally chiding herself.

“Nah, Yoona’s gone. That couldn’t be her.”

Jessica tried to convince herself.

-