Finale

녹 (Rust)

Beautiful. That was the only thing came to her mind as she watched the love of her life strolling down on the red carpet. She was finally getting married after so long being away.

She has wasted 1 year. She lost her memory and was married to a man whom she had no feelings for. She thought she had but there was this nagging feeling at the back of her mind that he wasn’t the one for her.

One thing led to another and somehow, she found her true belonging.  And then she found her true love; the one she had been subconsciously waiting for despite having a memory loss.

And now, the time has come. She’s getting married to her love. Today is the happiest day of her life; the most memorable and the most important day of her lifetime.

“The bride is here. Please stand up.”

Everyone stood up; bright smiles on their faces and they were clapping happily for the beautiful bride as she strolled down the red carpet. She was smiling shyly; her blushing cheeks were as red as her lipstick.

“Yoona, get ready.”

Yuri whispered in her ears; Yoona nodded. She has been getting ready all her life for this day. The one woman she wanted to marry all her life.

Her wife-to-be was slowly approaching her. Yoona waited patiently for her before Jessica joined her; standing closely next to her. They were now facing the pastor; with their hands interlinked.

Love is beautiful. Love is not selfish. Time has been harsh on the both, but they triumphed over hardships and finally they have come together; as a couple. Their love remains. And now we are witnessing the unison of two beautiful individuals who never stop loving each other.

That was beautiful. Everything was perfect. They were finally married.

“Congratulations!!”

Everybody was congratulating them. The pastor was right. They went through so much just to be together. Irene’s eyes were filled with tears. She couldn’t believe that her mother has finally found her happiness. And she was going to make her speech during the reception.

She has prepared herself for this moment. She needed to tell her Mommy Jessica how she felt all these years from the time she was a child till now. She held Wendy’s hands tightly.

“Baby, my hands will break if you keep gripping like that.”

“I’m nervous!”

“I know! But my hands bruise easily.”

“Shut up.”

Wendy was teasing her on purpose. She earned a smack on her back, but it didn’t matter to her. She needed to do that to calm her girlfriend and it worked.

“Don’t worry, sweetie. You’ll be fine. Because you’re just awesome.”

“Why are you so greasy? Have you been spending too much time with Taeyeon Omma?”

Wendy rolled her eyes. Yes, she did spend time with Taeyeon but it was all because of the wedding. Well, Taeyeon taught her one thing or two.

“I’m not greasy, just romantic.”

“Fine, keep it that way.”

Irene then leaned closer and kissed Wendy on her lips. That er. Wendy was on cloud nine ever since. The ceremony was beautiful, but people were more upbeat during the reception. Food would always be a great mood-maker. Irene sat on the same table with her parents. She watched both her mothers; her biological mother and her birth mother. Both were genuinely happy. Both were smiling so much. She had never seen them glowing with radiance and she was glad that the storm was finally over.

Just then, the MC was inviting Irene up to the stage. Her speech would be coming on next. She was jittery but Wendy’s hug was comforting.

“Fighting!”

Wendy whispered and Irene nodded. She stood proudly at the podium; adjusting the microphone before gathering the guests’ attention on her. Yoona looked up; Jessica was smiling and Taeyeon was giving thumbs up.

And even before Irene could say anything, tears were b in her eyes. She apologised for being a cry baby.

“Oh god, I haven’t said a single word and I’m crying like a baby now. Pardon me.”

The crowd laughed; some giving her encouragement. Irene smiled nervously before she calmed herself down.  She took a deep breath and quickly wiped her tears away. She closed her eyes and then smiled at the crowd.

“Today is the happiest day of my life since the day I was born.”

Jessica and Taeyeon looked on; their hearts ached.

“Many things have happened; the good ones; the bad ones and I have to admit; it had been a roller-coaster ride for the past years. But people would always say, what goes up must come down; what goes around comes around. It’s just part of life. I have been through that. I have gone through many downs and then ups and suddenly a couple of downs before this day happened.”

“And I’m not complaining. I think all of this happened for many reasons. And eventually, I have both my mothers still here with me.”

Irene then turned to face her mothers. That include Yoona. And probably Soo Young at some later stages but she was more focused on her own mothers. They mean the most to her.

“First of all, I would like to thank Yuri Omma and Mommy Tiffany for always being by my side. They are always there when I need them and I could never thank you enough for being my perfect angels in my life since I was a child.”

Yuri and Tiffany were pleasantly surprised that their names were mentioned but nevertheless, thankful for Irene. They smiled widely.

“I would love to thank Professor Soo Young for her loyalty and love for my Taeyeon Omma. Thank you for saving her when she was at her lowest moments. Thank you for keeping her alive and letting her returned home to me. Without you, I wouldn’t have the chance to get to know her.”

Soo Young nodded and gave her thumbs up. She was touched with Irene’s words and Taeyeon stretched her hand out and caressed Soo Young’s hand lightly.

“And to my new Mama, Yoona Mama. We had a long talk yesterday. I’m already an adult but she insisted I should just drink my Orange Juice while she was sipping some expensive wine.”

Everyone laughed; Irene stuck her tongue out at Yoona. Yoona chuckled softly.

“But what the talk we had last night was something I needed from her. One year has gone by and miraculously, Yoona Mama returned to us; to me; to Mommy Sica. I couldn’t thank God enough and I couldn’t thank Yoona Mama more for keeping her faith in her subconscious mind and kept her loyalty towards my Mom.

And Yoong Mama (she asked me to call her that!) said something that touched my heart. She doesn’t know anything else but just to love Mommy Sica for the longest time. She made a promise before and even before the plane crashed, she prayed that she will always love Mommy Sica and never to forget her no matter where she would be.

With that promise, Yoong Mama kept her word. She may have lost her memories, but her heart never fails her; never fails Mommy Sica. I was envious of their love; their relationship and even though it was the most tedious and tormented; probably haunting for the last one year; I’m just glad all of us made through. So, Yoong Mama, I’m sure you will take good care of Mommy Sica and please make her happy for the longest time.”

Yoona nodded solemnly. Of course, she would.

“Lastly, to my birth mother and my biological mother. Thank you for giving me life; bringing me into this world and taught me the meaning of true love. Probably during the initial years, there were so much bad memories, but I have put them behind me.

I don’t regret being your beloved daughter. In fact, I’m very thankful that I’m yours. I love both of you so much and I would never trade anything else for the both of you. And I promise today, even though we are no longer a complete family, I’ll always look after both of you for the rest of our lives.

And how complicated our lives would be in the future, and me ended up probably having 4 mommies, I will always be thankful if that happen.”

She winked at Soo Young and the professor’s face turned red by the second. And Taeyeon was enjoying the sight but not for long. Soo Young playfully smacked her forehead.  The crowd laughed. Irene stuck her tongue out again.

“Taeyeon Omma, thank you for coming back to us. I almost lost you and it could have killed us, me and Mommy Sica. But thank you for not going back on your promise and still here; being with me; staying with us and being the best Omma I could ever have.”

Taeyeon cried like a baby.

“Okay, she’s crying. I did it. Now, to my only one cry-baby Mommy. I haven’t said my piece and she’s brawling like a little child there.”

Jessica wanted to throw her chair at her daughter for making her cry, but she couldn’t stop. Her heart felt guilty; heartache; pain and she wished she could turn back her hands of time to create happy memories during Irene’s childhood. But she couldn’t and she regretted that most.

“Mommy Sica. I love you. Sarang loves you the most.”

Jessica mouthed the same words back to her.

“And stop regretting about my past; our past. Those moments could never return to us so let’s just forget about that, okay? Let’s build new memories; from today till forever. I don’t hate you. I don’t blame you. Because I know you were hurting the most back then. Nobody was hurting as much as you did, and it was forgivable for those heartaches you went through.

And when Yoong Mama’s plane crashed, I was crestfallen. I was heartbroken because you would have to go through the same again. Your world became dark and your heart was breaking too many times that I thought this time, it would be difficult to put them back together. And I could once again unable to penetrate through your heart once again. I was terrified that I might lose my Mommy once again.

Thank God, this time I was wrong. I’m so glad you kept me close by your side; let me look after you and let me be your sunshine during those dark moments.”

Again, Jessica cried her heart out. And Irene cried too. But she had to end her speech somehow. She swallowed hard; with hiccups in between.

“Today is your day, Mommy. I only pray for happiness, love and good health for you and Yoong Mama and please live for the longest time too. I love you, Mommy!”

Irene threw the microphone down and ran towards Jessica. Dammit. Everyone was tearing up after her speech; Jessica could only hug her beloved daughter.

“I love you too, Sarang ah. I love you so much.”

-

That was the sappiest and saddest, yet the happiest speech Irene could ever deliver. Irene was right. They went through a lot as a family yet, they prevailed.  Having married to the woman she loves, having a beautiful daughter like Irene and having an extended family that includes Yuri, Tiffany, Taeyeon and Soo Young including Hyoyeon and Sunny – Yoona could never felt even happier than she was before.

She was on the bed of their presidential suite. Finally, the wedding was over and Yoona could finally breathe properly. Not that she was complaining but Yoona had too much cries; people asking her to drink and of course, she was more eager to spend the first night being Jessica’s wife. That was more important.

She waited patiently for her wife to finish showering. She had her shower earlier on. The moment the last guest left the reception, Yoona went up to the hotel room to take a shower. She was dying to get out of the pretty clothes and dawned on something more comfortable.

Irene left with Taeyeon and Soo Young. Taeyeon bought a car for Irene as a gift. The girl was obviously excited about it. She went with Taeyeon together with Soo Young and Wendy. Jessica had less worry since her daughter would be safe with her ex-wife.

“What are you thinking of?”

Jessica asked the moment she stepped out from the bathroom. Yoona was in a daze; exhausted from the wedding.

“I’m so tired.”

“The wedding was tough huh?”

“It was tough being in the spotlight for the whole night. I’m just glad that it’s over and I could spend the night like this with you.”

“You look really good in that baby pink blazer.”

“Why did you even agree to let Tiffany Unnie choose our wedding outfits?!”

“Why? You look really yummy in pink.”

“Baby, you’re being sarcastic.”

“Actually, Yuri got it worse. Her pink was a lot darker than yours during her wedding. So, count your blessings.”

Yoona grinned at the memory of Yuri’s disastrous pink wedding outfit. She couldn’t stop laughing the moment she laid eyes on Yuri. Yuri was called Flamingo Yul on her wedding.

“I guess so. So lucky, I didn’t end up with Tiffany unnie. Instead, I got you!”

Yoona wrapped her arms around Jessica as the older woman was drying her hair with a towel. Yoona buried her face in the back of Jessica’s neck; she sighed.

“Sweet smelling Lavender. You smell like a flower.”

“We are no longer in our twenties. You’re so cringey.”

“We might be in our forties but so what? We can still be romantic. We can even have babies.”

Jessica was horrified; she turned to look at her wife; aghast.

“YOU’RE KIDDING?”

“What? We can’t have children?”

“Baby, I cannot give birth at this age!”

“Who asked you to be pregnant? We can always adopt.”

Jessica felt dumb for a second. She rolled her eyes when Yoona became a Cheshire cat.

“Wipe that smirk off your face.”

“We cannot have babies, but we can pretend to make one, right?”

“I’m tired.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Yes, I am!”

“No, not when I’m here.”

Yoona didn’t wait; she just scooped Jessica up from the chair and threw her on the bed. Jessica shrieked but somehow relented when Yoona hovered on top of her; trapping her underneath.

“I cannot escape, right?”

“No.”

“Okay then. Do me.”

Yoona grinned like a cheeky child.

-