Chapter 48

녹 (Rust)

Tobey was sitting alone in the middle of his cell. The cold floor was too tough for him to handle. He was heard sobbing every now and then. But the officers were advised to treat him with patience since he’s special; slightly different from the other ruffians. Of course, the prison cell was unfamiliar, and he was getting restless.

He sat on the cold floor; with his knees to his chest. He hugged his knees tightly and rocked his body back and forth. He looked pitiful; pathetic and almost unrecognizable. And he had just spent a day and Tobey was reduced to this.

Suddenly an officer appeared, and Tobey looked up. The officer was expressionless, but he called out to him gently.

“Tobey Maguire, you are released now.”

“Oh, I can leave?”

“Yes, you may. Come on, there are people waiting outside.”

24 hours felt like forever for a man with special need. Thankfully, the officers put him alone in one cell. They didn’t think it was wise to put him together with the rest. At least, he would not be terrorized by those goons.

Tobey made his way out; he looked haggard. It seemed like he was there for 10 years. He hardly eats and he couldn’t be comfortable as much he tried to. And the moment he noticed his parents; he ran up to them and brawled his eyes out.

“Mom!!”

How terrified he was. Mrs Maguire’s heart kept breaking apart to witness her son’s frightful expression. She tried to console him.

“Are you okay?”

“It was cold, but I think it was okay.”

“Did you give the officers a lot of trouble?”

“No, he didn’t. He has been cooperative. We had officers looking out for him.”

One of the officers spoke up and Tobey smiled widely. He looked at his father.

“Aren’t you proud of me, Daddy? I didn’t cry!”

Mr Maguire could only smile and then nodded. He ruffled his son’s hair and then patted on his back.

“You’re a big boy now. I’m pretty sure you can deal with life properly now.”

“I guess so. Without Anna.”

The old folks were disheartened when they heard Tobey’s inaudible voice. They felt they have sinned and probably caused an internal pain for their son who was genuinely in love with Anna. Just then, Tobey heard a familiar voice.

“I’m still here, Tobey.”

He immediately turned around and his lips curled into a huge smile. He disengaged his arms from his mother before he flung those same arms around a woman in a wheelchair. He burst into tears once again and the woman just embraced him tighter. Tears were watering her eyes.

“I’m sorry, Tobey.”

Tobey shook his head. He was just glad that she’s awake.

“Anna, I’m just glad you are awake now.”

“I’m so glad that I did. I couldn’t prolong your pain anymore.”

Anna pulled him away gently before Tobey lowered himself to be on the same eye level with Anna. He looked at her carefully; she changed. The aura on Anna has changed. She was no longer the same Anna that he used to know. She’s someone else. She’s the real person who she’s supposed to be.

“What’s your real name?”

He asked out of curiosity.

“Yoona. Im Yoona.”

“So, you’re a Korean. This is your birth country, right?”

“Yes, it is. I have family here.”

“What do you do before this?”

“I work as a General Manager for a finance company.”

“A what?”

Of course, he couldn’t understand. But Anna just shook her head and squeezed his hands tightly. She clenched her fists around his. She felt sorry for hurting him. Yet Tobey had never question her why she did what she did.

“You don’t have to worry about that. I’m here to bail you out.”

“Am I still charged?”

“Yes, unfortunately. But you probably need to pay a huge fine which Jessica and myself will settle for you.”

“Jessica.”

Tobey looked up and saw another woman standing far away from them. She was giving them space; which Tobey was grateful for. But he knew Anna doesn’t belong to him. She belongs to the other woman named Jessica.

“I’m sorry I hit Miss Kwon.”

“Don’t worry, Yuri has dropped her charges on you. You were just charged for causing grievous hurt in the public.”

“So, I’m fine?”

“Yes, Tobey. You will be fine. Trust me. Another week or so, you can return home.”

“Great! So, I have a week to spend with you?”

He didn’t look at Anna; his gaze went straight to Jessica. It was like as though he had requested Jessica’s permission. His eyes were pleading. Jessica smiled before she came closer. She put her right hand on Anna’s shoulder and squeezed tightly.

“We have agreed. To let you and Anna settle your issues before you return home. Don’t worry, I won’t steal her attention away from you for this whole week.”

Tobey pouted his lips. And Anna frowned. She gently his arms with her palm.

“Why?”

“I want to spend time with you and Miss Jessica. I mean, you’re not my wife. And I would like to get to know Miss Jessica more. I mean, she must have known so much about you.”

“Are you sure about this?”

Jessica was surprised at Tobey’s suggestion. He was a different man from the last time she saw him at the hospital. Anna smiled and then gently put her palm on Jessica’s free hand. She nodded and then whispered softly.

“This is the way he is. It’s easy to take care of him. It’s easy to show affection for him because he’s such a simple-minded guy. I guess, I kinda feel comfortable showering him lots of attention and that’s why he grew feelings for me.”

“So, he’s going to be okay with us like this?”

“Don’t you think he’s like a child? He seems to have forgotten what happened to him few days ago. Which I find it a blessing. He can continue to live happily with no recollections of unhappiness. He has this ability to throw all that away.”

“Now I know why you insisted to come here so that you can shower him your attention?”

“Let’s do what he wants us to do. Give him a chance. Get to know him. I can promise you, you might end up liking him too.”

One thing led to another and suddenly Tobey was spending time with so many women at Yuri’s house. Yoona explained to them and Jessica convinced them that he’s harmless. Well, there were just too many women; Tobey wouldn’t try to do anything stupid. In fact, he enjoys the attention the women gave to him.

“He’s like a child!”

Tiffany was watching Tobey playing WII with Irene and Wendy.

“He’s around the same age as me.”

Yoona offered to explain. Yuri was fascinated and Soo Young was studying him. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at Soo Young.

“You’re no longer a Professor.”

“But he’s intriguing!”

“Yeah, Soo Young’s right! It’s like watching a man enjoying his childhood years and trapped in that world forever. Like Peter Pan!”

“And this is the same man who hit you at the back of your head with a wooden plank just few days ago.”

“Fany ah, he’s quite poor thing you know. And he couldn’t even remember why he hit me. I don’t blame him anymore.”

Jessica sat at the end of the dining table as she watched Tobey playing happily with Irene and Wendy. Even Irene had no qualms getting closer with this man. Yoona explained to him that Irene is her daughter. Tobey was confused at first, but Irene warmed up quickly with him. And Irene called him Oppa which Tobey learnt it was a way of calling an elder brother.

“So, I’m your who?”

“Oppa! Tobey Oppa.”

“Oppa?”

“Yeah!”

“Okay, whatever that makes you happy, Miss Irene.”

“Call me Irene. You saved Yoona Omma. You’re like family to us now.”

Irene was right about that. All the women in that house were grateful towards Tobey. No doubt, he was being such a jerk earlier on but that was before they found out his shortcoming. Especially Yuri. This man saved her cousin’s life. She could have lost Yoona forever.

Mr & Mrs Maguire declined to stay at their place. They would come over to pick Tobey up back to the hotel. They were just thankful that Anna and her family would do so much for their son. After an hour later, Tobey got tired and sat on the sofa.

The other ladies took over. Irene and Wendy were playing tennis against Taeyeon and Soo Young. The house went ballistic with the level of madness and craziness. Yuri and Tiffany were screaming as well; they were screaming at Taeyeon and Soo Young for being slow.

Anna and Jessica looked on; laughing away and Tobey was smiling too. It was Friday, and Tobey would be going home the next day. His case has been settled legally and he was free. Although he was given a warning, Tobey was certain that he would not return here anymore.

“Tobey?”

“Yes, Anna?”

“You’ll be going home tomorrow. Have you packed?”

“Mommy will pack for me.”

“Okay, that’s great.”

Tobey then stared at Anna; his eyes were downcast. Jessica noticed them and she quietly got up. She whispered in Yoona’s ears.

“Spend the last few hours with him. I’ll go and join them.”

“Thanks, baby.”

Jessica smiled before she kissed Yoona’s forehead. Then she joined the crazy batch with their WII Tennis game.

Anna gestured Tobey to come closer; the man moved towards Anna.

“Let’s get some air outside. Can you push for me?”

“Sure, how about Jessica?”

“This time, it’s just you and me.”

“Oh.”

Tobey then pushed Anna’s wheelchair gently as they moved towards the backyard and Tobey sat on the swing with Anna facing him. He smiled when Anna reached out for his hand and clenched tightly.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m good.”

“Are you telling me the truth?”

Instantly, Tobey’s eyes watered like how Anna expected. Tobey was suppressing his feelings inside which Anna was afraid of. She rubbed the tip of her thumb on his palm.

“Remember I told you before? You’re smart.”

“I’m not.”

“Yes, you are. You can tie your shoelaces now. You can bathe by yourself and you can read some words. You couldn’t do anything back then, but you managed to overcome it.”

“But that was because you were with me.”

“Tobey, I’m always going to be here for you. As your best friend. As a sister.”

Tobey looked up, hopeful.

“Really? You will?”

“Yes. Doesn’t mean I’m back with my family, I couldn’t continue to be your friend. We will always be friends; always be there for each other.”

“So, I can still call you if I miss you?!”

His voice was a little octave higher; he was excited at the prospect of not losing Anna totally. He thought he would never see or hear from her again. Now, Anna was telling him otherwise.

“Of course! I’m not going to throw you away just because I finally remember my past. I mean, my family is here, and I have to be with them. But you and me, we will always be friends. You can visit me, or I can visit you when I’m better.”

“Oh wow! I didn’t think of that.”

Anna was right. This was what she got afraid of. She was afraid that he might recline back to his own shell; his past just because he thought he lost her. But she was not going to let that happen to the poor guy.

She pulled a phone which she had bought for him. It was the latest Android phone; which was so much better than his old phone. She had already put in a SIM card for him so that he could contact her easily. She gave it to him.

“In this phone, there are a couple of numbers. You have not only found a friend in me. Now you also have Irene as your little sister, right? Since she calls you big brother. And Jessica’s number is inside too. Yuri and Tiffany as well. If you cannot find me, you can call them and ask them where I am.”

“They won’t mind?”

“Nah, I have already asked their permission. They said you can call them anytime you like.”

Tobey’s eyes grew larger. He eyed his new phone and fell in love with the gadget instantly. Anna taught him how to use it and somehow, Tobey figured it out quickly.

“Thanks Anna! I’ll remember you! I’ll never forget you.”

“Me too, Tobey. Thank you for saving my life. Thank you for returning me to my family. You’re a great person, you know?”

Tobey nodded and smiled widely.

“I know now.”

-

Jessica was leaning against her armchair. Tobey and his parents have flown back.  She recalled her last conversation with Tobey. She was amazed at how thoughtful this guy could get.

“Goodbye, Tobey.”

Tobey smiled widely and leaned in. He gave Jessica a friendly hug before pulling away. He gave her a big grin before leaning in again. This time, he whispered in her ears.

“I’m leaving Anna with you now. Please take good care of her. She’s a good woman; a good person with a beautiful heart. She loves easily and everything about her is perfect. Don’t worry, I’ll not interfere in your life with her anymore. I mean, I will call or whatsapp her every now and then but trust me, I’ll see her more like a sister and a friend.”

“Thank you, Tobey. Thanks for everything. I’m so grateful that you saved her life. I’m so thankful that you kept her alive. If not for you and your family, Anna would have died out in the sea.”

He smiled again.

“You know what, maybe God wants to bring all of us together. He probably wants me to have a bigger family; more friends and you know, learn to be a real man. I mean, I’m so slow. I cannot even think properly and do things on impulse. But God gives me Anna and her family to keep me grounded. I’m sorry for steering her away from you for a year.”

“Tobey, you’re right. Maybe God wants us to have a bigger family. I can be your big sister.”

Tobey frowned. Then he burrowed his eyebrows together.

“You’re around my age, right?”

“I’m your older sister. Or in Korean, you should call me Noona.”

“Noo-what?”

“Noona. Big sister.”

“Noona.”

“Yes, I’m older than you.”

“OH! Great! I have a big sister now!”

Tobey got excited all over again. He was acting like a child and then lunged at Jessica. He gave her a tight hug and then twirled around. The other ladies especially Taeyeon were stunned with his reaction.

“Woah! Tobey, I’m getting dizzy!”

“Noona! Noona! Noona!”

“YAA! PUT ME DOWN!”

It was chaotic for a while.

-

“MOMM!”

Jessica was awakened by her daughter’s scream. She glanced over her shoulder. Irene was hugging her from the back. She rested her chin on Jessica’s back.  Jessica smiled as she gently tapped on her daughter’s head.

Irene then turned herself around and hugged her mother from her front instead. She now rested her head on her mother’s s.

“What?”

“Heh?”

“Why are you lying on my s?”

“Soft.”

“ert. Just like your Omma.”

Irene pouted. She mumbled to herself before pulling away. But Jessica pulled her back and now she’s hugging her daughter with Irene leaning on her. She kissed her daughter’s forehead before cuddling her daughter closer.

“Mommy, are you happy now?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Yoona Omma is back. Taeyeon Omma is somehow seeing Professor. All are aligned with the stars for you, now?”

“Taeyeon Omma is still friends with Professor Choi. But I’m sure she will come around.”

“You won’t get jealous to see Taeyeon Omma with Professor?”

“She’s my best friend, Irene. Sometimes we tend to show our affections and love for each other openly, but I think Yoona Omma makes me jealous more often.”

“Because of Mommy Fany?”

“You know?”

“Yeah, I know Mommy Fany had a thing for Yoona Omma. But Yuri Omma won the game!”

Jessica chuckled softly. She then turned her daughter around and Irene was smiling at her. Jessica still feels guilty towards her only child. If only she had spent more time with Irene during her childhood days.

“No, stop thinking of the past. I’m fine. I’m still your baby.”

“You are. You will always be my little baby. My little girl. My little Sarang.”

“Okay, do not say Little Sarang or Little Girl. Sound like e.”

“I swear to God. You’re getting erted just like your Taeyeon Omma.”

“Well, whether we are erts or not, Mommy loves us the most.”

Jessica laughed and then nodded.

“Of course, I love you two the most.”

-

Taeyeon was cooking in the kitchen. Yoona was out with Yuri and Tiffany. Apparently, Yuri’s family was dying to meet Yoona and they wanted to meet their daughter in law too. Yoona’s arrival was such a delight news for her family. Yuri’s mother brawled like a baby over the phone; Yoona was feeling bad.

And Soo Young was visiting her family. They finally got back from overseas. So, the house was left with Taeyeon, Jessica and Irene. Wendy had to celebrate her mothers’ anniversary, so Irene was alone. But she had her mothers with her. And she was enjoying it thoroughly.

Well, almost. Her mothers were just loggerheads tonight.

“Jung Soo Yeon, how could you not know how to cut carrots?!”

“I was a princess.”

“Seriously? How are you going to cook for our daughter and Yoona in the future?”

“Yoona cooks well.”

“And what will you be doing?”

“I’ll bring food on our table.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she took the knife from Jessica’s hand. Jessica’s carrots were disastrous. Even rabbits might choke to death if they eat them.

“I teach you.”

“No!”

“You’re reaching mid 40s and you still don’t know how to hold a knife!”

“Stop insulting me, Kim Taeyeon!”

“I’m not! I’m training you how to be a good wife!”

“Yoona can cook!”

“You should learn too!”

“No!”

“YES!”

“NO! NO! NO! NO!”

“YES! YES! YES! YES!”

Geez, so much for being in their mid 40s. But Irene didn’t mind at all. She enjoyed watching them bickering over stupid things. Irene sometimes wondered what would happen if they really got back together. How would it be like? Would it be as crazy as this?

“Irene Jung. What are you dreaming of?”

“I’m watching two middle aged women fighting over how to cut carrots properly.”

“Do you know how to use the knife?”

“Yuri Omma refused to let me hold the knife.”

“Geez, Mom and daughter SAME!”

“You’re seriously going at me again, aren’t you!?”

There they go again. And Irene decided to escape the madness.

-

Yuri’s mother cried non-stop. Yoona had to pacify her. Then when Yuri’s mother saw Tiffany, she cried again. Yuri was exasperated.

“Mom! Stop crying!”

“Tiffany’s so beautiful!”

Tiffany blushed. And Yoona smirked.

“Auntie, Yuri stole Tiffany from me.”

“SHE WHAT?”

“I WHAT?!”

“She didn’t allow me to date Tiffany!”

“HEY!”

Tiffany rubbed the tip of her nose. Yoona always loves creating trouble and she had created one now. Yuri smacked Yoona hard on her forehead.

“I’m still recovering.”

“KWON YURI! WHY DID YOU HIT YOONA?!”

“OMMA! I’M YOUR DAUGHTER!”

“STILL! YOU SHOULD NOT HIT YOUR DONGSAENG!”

“IM YOONA! I WILL KILL YOU!”

The cousins took off with Yoona way ahead. Yuri was chasing behind her. Tiffany and Yuri’s mother stood at the corner; rolling their eyes. Yuri’s mother apologised to Tiffany.

“I’m sorry, my daughter is a dork. Well, the cousin of hers is equally the same.”

“It’s okay, Auntie. I love them.”

“What happened to the family who found Yoona?”

“They flew back to their country. And the guy promised to keep in touch with us.”

“I have yet to thank them for keeping Yoona alive for the past one year.”

“It’s okay, they understand. They feel guilty though.”

“It’s a win-win situation.”

Tiffany nodded. Yuri’s mother then invited Tiffany to the dining table. Tiffany was eyeing the two women; Yuri was on top of Yoona.

“Should I stop them?”

“Don’t bother. These two will stop eventually. I’m so used to their nonsense since they were kids.”

“You must have loved Yuri a lot.”

“And Yoona. She’s my late sister’s daughter. Ever since her mother passed on, I was assigned to look after her. I was her guardian. And Yoona grew up; keeping to herself. I know she sometimes doesn’t feel comfortable with me but she’s a good child.”

“She is.”

“I’m really proud of Yoona. She has done well and has been successful. But my heart wrecked when we heard of her plane crash. I felt like my whole soul was up and I was left with nothing. How was I supposed to answer her mother if we meet again? Yoona’s like my second daughter.”

“I understand, Auntie. Yoona’s like my little sister. I felt worse when I saw Yuri struggled with Yoona’s demise.”

“Tiffany ah, you can call me Omoni from now onwards. And your father in law is rushing home now. He wants to see his daughter in law. We all love you too, Tiffany. Your mom might have gone to heaven, but you have a mom now. I’ll be your mother.”

Tiffany was grateful. She was moved to tears. God, she will love this family; she will treasure them well.  And she will love Yuri with her heart.

-

Taeyeon was washing the dishes and Irene was with her. Jessica had a mini war with her earlier on and now she was sulking in her bedroom. Taeyeon was amused.

“Is your Mommy still upset with me?”

“Extremely. She’s still sulking.”

“Complaining to Yoona, I supposed?”

“And Professor.”

“WHAT?!”

“You’re in deep , Omma. Professor is now Mommy’s side nowadays.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes but smiled softly when she thought of Soo Young. They are still friends but slowly getting to know each other. This time, Taeyeon would like to take it slow and Soo Young was a very patient person.

“Omma, you’ll be happy too, right?”

“I’m happy now.”

“I mean with a relationship.”

Taeyeon grinned before turning to meet her daughter. She smiled.

“I have you. I’m already happy. You forgiven me and took me into your life. I’m extremely happy. And your mom is my best friend. I can love her that way.”

“And Yoona Omma?”

“Yoona Omma loves her better than I do. And it’s time I give back that happiness to your mother. She deserves a lot more than anything else.”

“Irene, I have the best of both worlds. Yoona is still my friend. I found my old friends back and I found a new friend which is your Professor. Things are rather slow, but we are both fine with that.”

“I’m glad then.”

“Irene, thank you.”

“Heh? How come?”

“Because of you, all of us are pulled in together. If you want to know sweetie, you’re the reason why we are here together. Why we are still having each other in our lives. Thank you, Sarang.”

Irene was swooned. She hugged her mother tightly.

“I love you, Taeyeon Omma.”

“I love you too, Baby Sarang.”

“Okay, about the baby, stop calling me that!”

“Irene Jung, you’re always our baby.”

“Urghhhh!”

-