Chapter 46

녹 (Rust)

Tobey managed to return to the hotel, but Anna was nowhere to be seen. But the room was in a mess and Tobey was concerned when he saw Anna’s mobile was lying carelessly on the floor. Did something happen?

Just then, the hotel manager appeared at his doorstep and he was relieved to find Tobey there.

“Mr Maguire! There you are!”

“Can I help you?”

“Your wife fainted earlier on, and we managed to rush her to the hospital. You might want to proceed to the hospital!”

“WHAT?! SHE FAINTED?!”

“Yes, this is the address. Go, hurry!”

“Thank you so much!”

The manager got him a cab and it sped off immediately. It was the hotel cab and it was a service that the hotel guests could use. Since the driver was aware of the situation, he hurried to the hospital.

“Don’t worry, Mr Maguire. We will reach in no time.”

“Thanks!”

Tobey was worried; extremely worried. Anna never had any medical conditions. She has always been healthy. Maybe the whole events that have been happening were taking a toll on her. Tobey was determined to bring Anna home as quickly as possible.

-

Tiffany was eating with Irene and Wendy. Yuri was out of danger, but she was still unconscious. The girls were hungry, so they decided to head for a quick bite. Then, her phone rang, and it was Taeyeon. She picked up the call immediately.

“Yes Taeyeon?”

“FANY! WE ARE RUSHING TO THE HOSPITAL! ANNA FAINTED!”

“What?!”

“The ambulance is heading the same hospital Yuri is in. I’ll see you there shortly!”

Tiffany hung up and the girls started asking.

“What happened?”

“Anna fainted. Your mommies are on the way here.”

“Oh? Why?!”

“They don’t have any idea either. Anna fainted at the hotel. Let’s finish quickly and meet them at the emergency. I’m having headache. Yuri’s down and now Anna too.”

Meanwhile, Jessica was still holding on to Anna’s hand. She gripped it tightly and stared at Anna’s face. She could be on the ambulance with Anna while Taeyeon and Soo Young took the cab.

“Is she your friend, Madam?”

“Yes, she is.”

“Do you have any idea if she has any medical condition?”

“As far as I know, she doesn’t. Is she fine?”

“She’s probably stressed out. Her blood pressure was high earlier on but now it seems normal.”

“She’s going to be fine?”

“I think she will be. But we are not taking any chances. We will put her under observation most likely.”

“Sure.”

Jessica was relieved that Anna was not in major danger, but it hurt her to see Anna lying on the stretcher. Her lips were pale.  And her body was a little bit cold. The ambulance reached its destination and Anna was quickly rushed to the emergency theatre. Tiffany and the girls were already waiting.

“Jessica!”

“How did you find out?”

“Taeyeon called. Is that Anna?”

“Yeah, she fainted in her hotel room.”

“She was alone?”

“Apparently, yes.”

“Is Anna going to be alright?”

Irene asked and Jessica went straight for her daughter. She hugged her tightly.

“She’s fine. She’s going to be fine. Nobody is going to take her away from us anymore now.”

“Mommy?”

“I’m certain she’s Yoona. Since she’s at the hospital, it will be easier to find out if she’s Anna or Yoona, right?”

Jessica has decided. She should try to find out about Anna’s real identity. If she’s really Yoona, Jessica is not going to let her woman go anymore.

-

Taeyeon reached the hospital together with Soo Young. They saw the girls and ran up to them. But they were relieved when Jessica mentioned that Anna was going to be fine.

“You all didn’t notice Tobey, her husband?”

Tiffany asked. It was certain that the assailant who hit Yuri was Tobey. The description fit him, and someone managed to take a photo of him.

“No, it was just her alone and the hotel staff. The manager was searching for him too, but he wasn’t around the vicinity.”

Taeyeon added.

“How’s Yuri? Have you found out about the assailant?”

“The culprit was Tobey. The police are searching for him now.”

“And Yuri? Is she in grave danger?”

“She’s fine. She doesn’t have major injury but she’s still sleeping.”

“Okay, let her rest. Where’s Jessica?”

“She’s with Anna.  She just came out from the emergency theatre.”

“Is Jessica okay?”

“She seems fine to me. And she has requested for DNA done. We will know if Anna is indeed Yoona.”

The ladies then stood outside Anna’s ward; Taeyeon peered in and saw Jessica staring worriedly at Anna. Soo Young noticed Taeyeon and then tapped on her back gently.  Taeyeon glanced over her shoulder and then smiled weakly.

“Still hurts to see her with Yoona?”

“I thought I should be fine, but it seems like it’s not.”

“20 years, Taeyeon. You love for the last 20 years.”

“Yes, but I destroyed it too. And she loves Yoona now.”

“Then try to move on?”

“Would you like to help me?”

Soo Young’s eyes grew larger. And Taeyeon smirked. She already knew Soo Young likes her. But she never gets the chance to explore that because of the recent events that were happening. And Soo Young was always with her; following her around and Taeyeon realized it made her feel good.

“What are you talking about?”

“I know you like me.”

“How?”

“Soo Young, you’re bloody obvious.”

Soo Young pouted her lips.  And Taeyeon chuckled softly.

“Are you going to help me?”

“Help you?”

“Help me get over Jessica.”

“Are you serious about this? Because I really, really like you a lot.”

“I’m serious. What makes you think I keep dragging you around with me?”

“Because you’re the boss and I’m your translator? Wait. I’m not even your secretary.”

“There you go.”

Soo Young’s cheeks turned red instantly. But Taeyeon was serious about it.

“Are you going to help me or not?”

“Sure, but let’s take your time.”

“Of course, you’re not my rebound so let’s get to know each other more. We take things one day at a time.”

“Fine by me.”

Both women were smiling widely and Taeyeon reached out for Soo Young’s hand. She gripped it tightly.

“Thank you for being by my side.”

She whispered.

-

Yuri was slowly regaining conscious. She opened her eyes slowly and adjusted to the lights above her. They were blinding her.

“Yuri!”

Someone immediately held her arms and Yuri cautiously turned to her side. Tiffany was worriedly peering into her face.

“Fany ah.”

“Baby! Are you feeling okay? Does it hurt?”

“Where am I?”

“You’re in the hospital! Someone knocked out you and you were bleeding from your head.”

“Oh. That’s why the back of my head throbbing?”

“I’ll call the doctor.”

Tiffany disappeared within seconds and came running later with a doctor and the others. Taeyeon was the first one to reach her bed.

“Yuri!”

“Hey midget.”

“Okay, you’re fine.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Tiffany, she just called me midget.”

Yuri chuckled softly. Taeyeon hated it when people call her midget. It was like a taboo word for her and Yuri enjoys haunting her with that. The doctor had a quick check on her and then smiled widely.

“You’re responding well. Everything is normal. Thank god. You have lost a lot of blood and it’s a miracle that you woke up with no complications from the injury.”

“That’s great to hear. Can I be discharged then?”

“Not so soon. You will need to stay here for another couple of days.”

“Dang!”

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Tiffany put her hands on her hips; staring at Yuri. Yuri gave her a sheepish smile. The doctor left the room. Yuri sat up and then looked at the group. Someone was missing.

“Jessica?”

“She’s with Anna.”

“She’s with who?!”

“Anna’s in the hospital too. She fainted in the hotel room.”

“Why? Did that creep hit her?!”

“That creep wasn’t in the room when she fainted. She was alone.”

“And how did Jessica find out?”

“We went to look for that creep, so we went to the hotel. And when we reached the hotel; there was a huge commotion and then next thing, Anna was wheeled out on a stretcher.”

Taeyeon offered her explanation. Then she paused; focused on Yuri before opening again.

“Wait, you know who attacked you?”

“Yes, I know. It was Tobey.”

“Why didn’t you fight back?!”

“I didn’t realize it at first, but I felt like someone was tailing me from behind. The next thing I knew someone whacked me from the back. I fell on my back, but I managed to catch a glimpse of my attacker. That creep has blonde hair. It was really easy to identify him.”

“True. He’s quite dumb. People can see him too. They identified him as your attacker.”

Tiffany quipped in.

“So, now the police are searching for him?”

“Yeah, they are.”

“Ok, can we go see Anna?”

“Can you walk?”

“Carry me, baby.”

Yuri was joking around but Tiffany went on her knees anyway. She was waiting for Yuri to climb over her back. Taeyeon and Soo Young rolled their eyes.

“There’s a wheelchair behind you, Tiffany.”

“Oh.”

“Baby, I was just joking. You’re too small to carry me anyway.”

“Shut up. Sit down and keep quiet. I’ll push you.”

The women went over to Anna’s ward.

-

Jessica was still holding on to Anna’s hand. Anna’s long, slender fingers engulfed Jessica’s small hand easily. But she’s unconscious. Anna hasn’t wake up from her anaesthesia yet. And Jessica was worried. She remembered the doctor’s words earlier on.

“What do you mean?”

“Anna has an internal bleeding at the back of her head. It’s a blood clot and it’s sitting near to her nerves. It is quite risky, and she might die if she faints again. It’s better to remove it.”

“Is it cancerous?”

“No, but I can deduce that it is caused by a hard impact on her skull. Do you know if she gets into some major accidents?”

Jessica couldn’t say much but if this is Yoona, maybe the plane crash might have caused something.

“Doctor, I have this suspicion that this lady here is my girlfriend. Her real name is Yoona but she was in a plane crash a year ago. Do you remember that local flight in UK which crashed in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?”

“Oh? She’s the victim? But all of the passengers and crew members perished in the flight.”

“Yes, but her body was never found. Her seat was missing. Everyone was accountable for except for my girlfriend. She looks exactly like her.”

Jessica was pointing to Anna. The doctor was intrigued.

“So, you’re saying that she might be your girlfriend?”

“Yes, she probably lost her memories, or something happened to her, but she wasn’t aware. I don’t know. I’m just suggesting.”

“Do you want to get DNA for her? Does she have any relatives?”

“In fact, Yuri is her cousin.”

“Kwon Yuri? The one who got assaulted yesterday?”

“Yes.”

“Her wife seems to know her person who assaulted her.”

“That suspected person is Anna’s husband.”

“Oh my. This is complicated. But I can get a DNA test on her. However, we require Yuri’s permission. We can ask her once she’s awake. But from the look of it, if she’s really your girlfriend, there could be a possibility that she might have lost her memories. The size of the blood clot is quite huge. And it’s sitting on the nerves so it might affect her ability to remember. Let’s wait for Yuri to wake up and get a DNA on Anna.”

“Thank you so much, Doctor.”

-

Jessica wanted to believe that Anna is Yoona and that blood clot at the back of her head caused Yoona to lose her memories. She became Anna. But how did she even survive the crash? How could she even be alive when the plane crashed in the middle of Pacific Ocean?

Now she was curious about this guy, Tobey. Who is he? Where did he find Anna? And did he hide anything from Anna? How could he try to hide Anna away from her past? And Jessica was starting to believe that Anna has subconsciously recalling her memories.

“Anna, you’re Yoona, right?  You’re Yoona, the woman I love so dearly.  You’re my sweetheart that I have been missing so much. Where have you been, baby? How could you just live your life without remembering me? What will happen to us now if you’re really indeed Yoona? How could you get married without me?”

Jessica teared up; her heart torn apart. It was probably not Yoona’s fault but she couldn’t help but feeling jealous of Tobey. Just then, Yuri and the others came to Anna’s ward. Yuri was in her wheelchair and Tiffany pushed her closer to Anna and Jessica.

“How’s she?”

“She’s still unconscious.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s fine but I guess she must be tired or something. Oh yeah, Yuri. I have something to share with you.”

“Hm? What is it?”

“The doctor told me that Anna has a blood clot at the back of her head; sitting dangerously on her nerves. She must have dealt with a heavy blow and it might be the reason why she couldn’t remember her past.”

Yuri’s eyes grew larger.

“There is a possibility?”

“Yes, there is. He had requested for permission to remove the clot. Anna has to go for surgery.”

“So, did you agree?”

“No, I’m not her wife or anyone related to her. Since she’s married, Tobey has to grant that permission.”

“Damn! I don’t think that guy will ever allow her to! He has something to hide. He will hide from Anna for as long as he could.”

“One more thing, Yuri ah. I told the doctor that she might be Yoona. I explained to him. And he said he could do a DNA test, but he needs your permission since Yoona is related to you. He will get some DNA sample from you.”

“Okay, I’ll agree. Where is he? I’ll speak to him directly.”

“He will come by later, he said. Just wait for him here.”

Yuri nodded as she turned her focus on Anna. There was no doubt that Anna is Yoona. She could see the striking resemblance and everything about Anna screams “Yoona”. How can two people be so alike and even if though so, she couldn’t have the same birthmark on her arm with Yoona?

“She’s Yoona.”

Yuri added as she reached out for Anna’s left arm. She gently lifted her arm and pointed to the birthmark. It was a tiny birthmark which one could missed out but not Yuri. Yuri grew up with Yoona.

“She loves this birthmark. It looks like a tattoo to her.”

“But how can we prove that she’s Yoona?”

“DNA. DNA can solve everything.”

Irene added. She was certain that Anna is her Yoona Omma. But the group was saddled with issues that were beyond them. To approve for DNA, Tobey would be the one who grant that permission.

“But we cannot do anything without Tobey’s permission. He’s the lawful husband.”

Annoying as it gets, the girls had no choice. And Jessica felt like she might lose Yoona right in front of her eyes.

-

Tobey ran down the hallway; screaming for Anna’s name. Everyone was staring at him; this crazy foreigner who couldn’t even speak a single word of Korean; running like a mad man. He finally reached the registration counter.

“I’m looking for my wife!”

Thankfully, one of the nurses could converse in simple English.

“May I know your wife’s name, Sir?”

“Anna. Anna Maguire.”

“Oh, she’s out of the emergency theatre and resting at her ward now.”

“Can I visit her?”

“Sure, Sir.”

The nurse wrote down the ward level and bed number. She then gave directions and Tobey ran off once again. He was terrified; worried about Anna. He has somehow forgotten his crime; at the back of his mind, Anna conquered his thoughts.

“Anna, you will be fine.”

He kept muttering to himself as he ran past the corner and then reached the ward. He pushed the door open.

“ANNA!”

But he stopped dead in his tracks. He could see the same people in the ward; the people he dreaded to see. And he was stunned when he saw Yuri sitting on the wheelchair with a bandage around her head.

They were all staring at him.

“What did you do to Anna?!”

He screamed at them; before running towards Anna. He pushed Jessica aside.

“Anna!”

Anna was still lying on the bed; unconscious. He was crying like a baby; screaming for Anna’s name every now and then. Jessica looked on; his behaviour was unsettling. Taeyeon noticed it too. But Yuri couldn’t think properly, and Tiffany pulled him away from Anna.

“The police are looking for you, Tobey.”

“What? What did I do?”

“You hit Yuri with a wooden plank.”

“You don’t have any proof!”

“We don’t need it because your face and actions are caught by CCTV cameras.”

Tobey was stunned; he was unaware how advanced South Korea was. Almost every corner of the streets, CCTVS were set up for the safety of its people.

“Why did you do it?”

Tiffany wanted to know. Yuri was keeping silent.

“You all are planning to steal Anna away from me.”

“Anna? Do you even know who Anna in the first place is?”

“She’s my wife!”

“Before she becomes your wife, do you know her and her past?”

Tobey cowered to his side; his hands were trembling with fear. Of course, he didn’t know anything about Anna’s past, but he knew something. He kept that photo of Anna and unknown woman. Suddenly, he glanced to his side and spotted Jessica staring at him.

Jessica was too familiar for him. His eyes enlarged when it finally registered in his brain that this woman here was the same woman in Anna’s photo. The one Anna lovingly embraced in her arms.

“You..”

He pointed to Jessica. Jessica was frowning away but nevertheless kept her gaze at him. She was not backing down.

“Yes?”

“Who are you people? Who are you related to Anna?”

“I’m her girlfriend.”

Jessica was assertive with her reply.  

-

Anna was on the bed; she might be unconscious, but she could hear everything. She knew Tobey was there; she knew all the ladies she met coincidentally were there too. They were all related; all of them knew her.

And her heart ached. Tobey was probably terrified. He wasn’t a simple guy. He has issues relating to people; and he could be violent somehow. And when she heard Tiffany’s confrontation; she was stunned that Tobey did something unthinkable.

“You planned to steal my wife away from me!”

Her heart sank to the deepest pit. Yes, she was married. She was married to a man who saved her life when her plane crashed a year ago. Anna finally recalled everything back.

She remembered.

And she was upset that she finally understood why her heart couldn’t move on from whatever that was holding back.

Jessica Jung.

Yes, Jessica Jung, the woman she loves. Even when she was married to Tobey, her heart remained loyal. She was married on paper, but Anna was still waiting for something or someone. Now, she knew.

Her heart belongs to Jessica Jung. And only Jessica Jung.

“Who are you related to Anna?”

“I’m her girlfriend.”

A single tear fell from the corner of Anna’s left eye, but nobody noticed it.

-

“Girlfriend? But I’m her husband! I saved her life and she fell in love with me!”

“You saved her? So, you found her somewhere?”

“I found her in the sea; strapped to a seat. She was dying; struggling to live. I saved her life. I took her back home and nursed her back to health.”

“And she has no idea who she was?”

“No, she couldn’t remember anything.”

“You had no idea of the plane crash?”

“I’m not educated. I live with my parents; I don’t have friends. I don’t even know how to read.”

“But she has a family. She has friends. She has loved ones who live a thousand miles across the sea. We thought she was dead. We were haunted by her death every day. We couldn’t believe that she was just taken away from us as quick as that and we struggled to over her death. So, how could you just be so selfish and hold her back?”

Jessica’s voice quivered. The pain she kept inside was killing her; haunting her and her thoughts went back to those moments when she found out about the plane crash. How her world turned upside down in the blink of an eye and she realized she could have lost Yoona forever.

That pain lingered. It still hurt. It still kills her whenever she remembers Yoona.

“She’s the love of my life. I love her so much. She’s my life. How dare you took her away from me?”

“I’m sorry. I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?”

“I’m an idiot. A fool. I couldn’t even tie my own shoelaces but ever since I met Anna, I tried to be useful. I learnt how to live properly, and Anna has been encouraging me to do well. Back at home, everybody hated me. I couldn’t make friends properly; people call me a retard. But not Anna. She’s nice; she defends me when people call me names; she has never leave me in a lurch and Anna’s always around when I need someone.”

Tobey shared his innermost feelings and Jessica wasn’t surprised. Yoona is still Anna. Anna is still Yoona. She might not remember about her past but Yoona’s natural kind being would still be evident.

“I know. She’s the best, right?”

Tobey nodded like a child. He then sprawled on the floor and the other ladies were surprised at his behaviour. Soo Young was watching him from the start and then she realized something unusual about Tobey. She whispered softly to Taeyeon.

“I think he is a case of ADHD.”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, he has symptoms of it. Anna is his possession. He’s obsessed with her because Anna shows affection for him.”

“Is that a good thing or bad?”

“He’s like a child who constantly requires Anna’s attention.”

Jessica heard it. And she herself had suspected it when Tobey started conversing from the beginning. Suddenly, she empathized with him.

“You’re Tobey, right?”

“Yes.”

“Do you love Anna?”

“I think I do.”

“Do you know what is love?”

“I don’t know. I just know that I want Anna to be mine.”

“Does Anna love you?”

Tobey kept quiet.  There were many times he felt that Anna doesn’t love him that way, but she was just treating him like a child who needed her attention. She was gentle and affection, but Tobey somehow felt that there was nothing more to that.

And those moments when intimacy was out of the question. They haven’t even sleep with each other. Anna refused adamantly and Tobey relented all the time.  Well, Tobey didn’t think much of it either. He was just happy having Anna by his side.

So, he knew. He knows. Anna doesn’t love him that way.

“I don’t think she loves me like that. She loves me, yes but brotherly-sisterly kind?”

“And yet you got married to her?”

“I didn’t want to lose her.”

Jessica smiled. But Yoona is hers. Anna will need to return to her, not Tobey. But looking at the man in front of her; Jessica could sense that Tobey couldn’t even look after himself properly. And he looked lost ever since he stumbled into the room. He needed Anna to tell him that everything was going to be alright. She could see his inferiority complex kicked in.

“Is she going to wake up soon?”

Tobey shrank into the seat. He suddenly felt terrified. Jessica turned to Tiffany and Yuri.

“What are we going to do now?”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you still going to sue him?”

“What do you mean by that? I will certainly sue him.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. She was not going to let this man go for hurting her Yuri. But Yuri had other thoughts. She was watching Tobey too. In fact, everybody did. Yuri then wheeled herself up to Tobey. The man shrivelled like shrimp the moment his eyes met hers.

“Do you remember what you did to me?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“You were jealous of me? You thought I was going to take Yoona away from you?”

“You kept asking questions and she kept thinking of them. She didn’t sleep at night; she stayed up and I could see she was trying hard to retrieve her memories. And I hated you for that.”

“But you know she’s going come home to us anyway.”

“Why? She’s my wife. I should bring her home.”

“Tobey, the police will be here soon, and they will take you away.”

“Why?”

“You know why.”

“No, you can’t do that!”

“But you broke a law. You hit me and then you ran away. All evidences are pointed to you.”

Tobey finally understood. He turned to look at Anna and moved to the side and pulled Jessica closer. Irene quickly ran up to her mother side; she was cautious of Tobey. But Jessica smiled at her daughter.

“Don’t worry, he’s not going to do anything.”

“Just be careful, Mommy.”

She assured Irene before moving closer to Tobey. Tobey stared at her; then his hand went to the back pocket of his jeans. He pulled out a photo that he found on Anna the first time he found her.

“This is you, right?”

He gave the photo to Jessica. Jessica nodded.

“I found this on Anna when I rescued her. But I didn’t give it to her. I hid it away from her and never told her anything about it. I was selfish but I failed.”

“You failed?”

“Even without the knowledge of this photo, she still came back to where you are.  Isn’t that what is it now?”

That was true. Anna somehow came back to where she should belong rightfully.

-