Chapter 34

녹 (Rust)

Hi, I know it has been quite some time. I'm extremely busy with work and I just found some time to update this today. It would take awhile for me to update so bear with me. I saw some of the messages and I'm sorry for not replying. I'll finish this story but you have to be patient with me. Thank you for your understanding.

-

Anna was preparing to make a trip to town. Tobey volunteered to accompany her. He developed a liking for Anna and often spent time with her. Mrs Maguire always reminded him not to bother Anna but Tobey was stubborn enough. He just wanted to stay next to Anna.

“It’s okay, Mrs Maguire. Tobey can follow me.”

“He can get quite handful if he’s without me.”

“I’m sure he will listen to me, right Tobey?”

Tobey nodded his head eagerly.

“I will be a good boy. I will listen to Anna!”

“You have to listen to her. If she returns complaining about you, I will forbid you to go out anymore.”

Tobey was sulking away but Anna was quick to appease him. To Anna, he’s just like an overgrown child. The slight autism in Tobey didn’t deter Anna to stay away from him. In fact, she embraced him more than anyone in that village ever did. Mrs Maguire was grateful towards her.

“He’ll be fine, Mrs Maguire. I’ll keep an eye on him.”

Tobey was already out of the door. He was too eager to leave with Anna. The pair rode Tobey’s bicycle. Anna sat at the back.

“Be careful, Tobey!”

His mother reminded him.

“I will!”

He assured her before peddling away from his house. Anna’s arms were secured around his waist. For some reason, his heart was beating faster than it should. He couldn’t understand why but he wasn’t concerned about it. He just wanted to be by Anna’s side.

It took him half an hour to reach town. They stopped in front of an internet cafe.

“You go ahead. I’ll find a place to lock my bicycle.”

“Sure, but don’t wander off too far, okay?”

Tobey flashed an impish grin before moving away. Anna stood there for few seconds more before entering the cafe. She registered for rental purposes and sat at the computer nearer to the entrance. She logged in accordingly and Anna started browsing the internet.

Tobey came in shortly. He sat next to Anna and just looked on. Anna seemed to know what to do and where to search for information. Tobey was intrigued.

“Wow. You can really type fast.”

“Eh?”

“Look! You’re even typing without looking at the keyboard. How did you know where the words were at?”

Anna was taken aback. She didn’t realize that until Tobey pointed it out to her.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Huh? Nothing, I’m just staring into space.”

“I guess you must be working in an office since you know a lot about computer stuffs. I know nuts.”

“I can teach you if you want to.”

“Really? That’s awesome!”

“I’ll check some information first then I’ll teach you how to use a computer.”

Tobey nodded eagerly before staring into the computer screen. Anna was reading some news. Just then picture of an airplane crash  was prominent on the front page. Tobey pointed it out to Anna.

“Anna, what is this? What happened to the plane?”

Anna clicked on the link and the news page was enlarged. Anna read the headlines briefly.

“A plane has crashed in the middle of the sea.”

“Oh? That’s sad.”

“Yeah, all of the passengers and crew were perished.”

Suddenly Tobey remembered Anna was found on a plane seat. He glanced to her side and watched as Anna continued reading the news. Tobey couldn’t really read well but he had this strong inkling feeling that Anna could be one of the passengers. And she was not dead. She was alive; with him.

He started to feel afraid of losing Anna if she ever found out one day. Although his parents were actively helping Anna to find her way back home; but Tobey knew he would lose Anna if she found out about her true identity.

He immediately turned the PC switch off. Anna was stunned when she came face to face with a black screen. She was taken aback when Tobey grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the internet cafe.

“Tobey, what’s wrong?”

“It’s boring. Let’s go somewhere else.”

“But I’ve already paid for the rental.”

“I’ll pay you back. I’m hungry.”

Tobey turned into a grumpy child. He stormed off when Anna halted her steps. But Anna knew Tobey wasn’t doing it on purpose. She followed him quickly; just to appease him.

“Okay, okay. Let’s go somewhere.”

Anna hooked her arm with his and walked next to him. Tobey looked on with guilt.

“I’m sorry.”

“Nah, it’s okay. Let’s grab some food. I’m sure Tobey’s hungry.”

Anna smiled widely and Tobey felt even worse. But he didn’t have a choice. He didn’t want to lose Anna.

-

 “YOU’RE ALIVE!”

Kwon Yuri pounced on Soo Young immediately the moment their eyes met. Soo Young didn’t have the chance to say anything but stretched her arms out anyway.

“What the.”

“YA! YOU!”

Yuri knocked Soo Young’s forehead with her knuckles.

“What?!”

“Did you have to scare us like that?!”

Soo Young gave an impish smile before putting Yuri down. She sighed.

“It’s a long story.”

“Make it short then. That’s not your heart, right?”

“Kwon Yuri, if that’s my heart, would I be standing here talking to you?”

“It makes sense but WHY DID YOU SEND SUCH LETTER?!”

“Okay, chill. Let’s get into the house. I will explain over coffee.”

Yuri somehow calmed down once she stepped into the house. Soo Young’s house was small but cozy. She looked around when she saw a wedding photo of Soo Young and unidentified man in the main hall. Yuri was curious.

“That is you, right?”

Soo Young nodded and she placed the coffee in front of Yuri.

“You’re married?”

“I was married.”

“Oh. When did you get married?”

“I was married to him when I was staying here in Singapore. But I swing to the other side so I broke his heart when I asked for a divorce.”

“Then what happened to him?”

Soo Young explained the whole story to Yuri. Her eyes were red and swollen. Yuri was stunned to learn that that heart belonged to Soo Young’s deceased husband. She felt sorry for Soo Young.

“Oh my god. He said that to you?”

“Yeah, he told me if his heart could save the one I love, he would give it up whole-heartedly because then at least he will get to feel my love through Taeyeon.”

“Soo Young ah, you must be hurting so badly.”

Soo Young smiled and then shook her head. She picked up a photo frame of her deceased husband and caressed it gently.

“I love him but not as much as he loves me. And I gave his heart to Taeyeon so that Taeyeon could continue living and making up to Jessica for as long as she could.”

“Taeyeon and Jessica are not getting back together. Well, maybe.”

“What do you mean? Is everything okay back there?”

Yuri sighed before speaking up again.

“Yoona is missing. She’s on the plane that crashed into the sea.”

Soo Young’s eyes grew larger.

“OH MY GOD!”

“We’re not too sure yet if she survives.”

“How is Jessica doing?”

“She’s going crazy. Taeyeon is not doing well either. She’s worried about you.”

Soo Young was taken aback.

“You went missing. She searched high and low for you. And many things happened and now Yoona’s missing. I’m not even sure if she’s alive or dead. I wanted to find you first.”

Soo Young leaned closer and pulled Yuri closer. She hugged the latter tightly.

“So Tiffany’s in Korea because of Jessica?”

“Yeah, and looking out for Yoona’s news. I’m so worried, Soo Young.”

“Then go find Yoona. I’m fine. You know the whole story now.”

“Well at least one worry is off.”

“Just do me a favour.”

“What is it?”

“Please don’t tell Taeyeon that you found me, Yuri.”

“But why?”

“I’ve decided to stay here and keep my memories of my deceased ex husband. I’m not ready to face Taeyeon. I’m afraid that I would break down if I did.”

“Then the heart? Should I tell her?”

“Yeah, you can. But just don’t tell me that you know where I am.”

Yuri was perplexed.

-

Irene was sitting on the sofa; watching her mommy crying in the dark. There had been no news of Yoona Omma. And Irene was worried about Professor Choi too. She turned to her left and saw her Taeyeon Omma chatting on the phone. She was checking on the news of Yoona Omma. But it was futile.

The report had already mentioned that all the passengers and crew had perished. But Taeyeon Omma refused to believe that.

“Look, there’s must be a way to find out. Have they found all their bodies?”

Taeyeon was screaming into the phone; her hand kept pressing against her creased forehead.

“And why was she alone on the plane? Shouldn’t the team be with her?”

Irene could only listen in silence.

“So she volunteered to be the one separated from the group?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes when the caller confirmed her fears. Taeyeon slumped against the sofa and buried her face in her free hand. This was just too much to take.

“Please let me know if there’s news of Yoona. She’s like a sister to me. She’s important to me. I need to know everything. Report to me each time there’s something new.”

Taeyeon threw her phone onto the sofa and leaned back. She caught Irene staring at her and she was apologetic. Her eyes conveyed that perfectly and Irene somehow understood. She shook her head. It wasn’t Taeyeon’s fault. She couldn’t predict what would happen.

Taeyeon slowly stood up and walked over to Jessica. Jessica was beyond crushed. She had no more tears anymore but yet she was compelled to cry her heart out. Taeyeon sat next to her and pulled the poor woman closer to her. Jessica remained stoic; letting Taeyeon cuddled her.

“Where’s Yoona, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon couldn’t say anything. She pulled Jessica closer and hugged her tightly.

“I need her, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon nodded. She understood.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I need Yoona. My heart only wants her.”

Although it hurts to hear that from Jessica’s mouth, but she knew she had no right to say anything. At least Jessica realized the owner of her heart. It was no longer hers. Yoona had gently etched herself at the bottom of Jessica’s broken heart.

“Please find her, Taeyeon. I don’t think I can live without her.”

“I promise I will. I will bring her back. No matter what it takes.”

Taeyeon held her promises firmly.

-

Jessica finally fell asleep. Irene took her place next to her Mommy. She pulled her mother closer to her and embraced her gently in her arms. Jessica opened her eyes for split second and realized her daughter was holding her. She welcomed the warmth.

“I’m sorry, Mommy. I know you’re hurting. I couldn’t ease the pain you feel inside.”

Jessica shook her head. Tears fell from the corner of her eyes.

“I will take care of you, Mommy. Like how Yoona Omma takes care of you.”

Jessica nodded while buried her face on her daughter’s shoulder. She was sobbing quietly.

“Mommy, just pray. I know it’s a cheap shot but just pray hard. Maybe God is fair. He will return Yoona Omma to you; maybe not now but perhaps later. You’ll never know.”

“You really think so, Irene?”

“You’ve suffered for 20 years. I’m sure he’s going to be gracious enough. I’m sure he will listen to your prayers. I’ll pray hard too.”

“Thank you, Irene. Thank you baby for your wonderful thoughts and warm words.”

“I love you, Mommy.”

“I love you too, baby.”

Irene hugged her mother to sleep.

-

“Jessica?”

Jessica frowned. That voice was so familiar.

“Sica ah..”

Jessica slowly opened her eyes when she felt warmth caressing her cheeks gently. 

“Yoona..?”

Yoona smiled. Jessica quickly sat up and grabbed Yoona’s arms.

“Is that you, Yoona?”

“Hi sweetie.”

“YOONA!”

Jessica cried out as she hugged Yoona tightly. Tears fell profusely and Jessica couldn’t even bother if she looked ugly.

“Hey, baby. I miss you.”

“I miss you too, Yoona! I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing to me for?”

“I never told you how much you mean to me. I never knew how much I needed you until I realized that I could have lost you forever.”

“I know your heart, baby.”

Jessica held on tightly. She wasn’t going to let go.

“Jessica, this is my last goodbye.”

Horrified; Jessica shook her head violently.

“No! It’s not over yet! I’m not letting you go!”

“Jessica, I’m in your dreams. I’m here to say goodbye. You’ll be fine because I know Taeyeon will love you more than she ever did. More than I ever could.”

“Shut up!”

“Jessica, please. Please do not give up on yourself. I’ll always be with you. I’ll always be next to you. Don’t give up on yourself. I love you.”

“No... NO!”

Jessica screamed her lungs out as Yoona slowly disappeared from her grasp; from her view. She dissipated into thin dust and Jessica was helplessly struggled to hold on to the last bit.

“NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Jessica jumped up instantly. She found Tiffany sitting next to her and Irene was crying while hugging her. Tiffany had rushed in when she heard Jessica screaming. Taeyeon was at the foot of the bed. All were worried for Jessica.

“Sica!”

“Fany ah, Yoona said her goodbye in my dreams!”

“Sica ah, it’s just a dream. It’s not even real.”

“No.. Yoona was saying goodbye. She told me not to give up on myself. Is she really dead, Fany? Is she really going to leave me behind, Fany? Fany ah, I cannot! I cannot do without her!”

Jessica was hysterical that night. And Irene was crying her eyes out. Tiffany tried so hard to calm her best friend down and Taeyeon was feeling worst by the second.

It was crazy. This was crazy.

“Im Yoona, please. Please do not leave us yet. Please, Yoong. We need you. Jessica needs you.”

Taeyeon prayed silently.

-