Chapter 45

녹 (Rust)

Everybody was anxiously waiting for Yuri’s news. Tiffany contacted them and Jessica was the first to arrive. Her best friend was in a delirious state.

“What happened?”

“Someone whacked Yuri in the head with a wooden plank. She was losing so much blood and she has been unconscious from the time they found her until now.”

“Did you know who did this?”

“No, the police are there though. They said they will investigate thoroughly. Jessica, I’m terrified. What if Yuri doesn’t survive?”

Jessica pulled Tiffany closer and hugged her tightly.

“No, Yuri will survive. She will never leave you.”

Soon, the rest came and all surrounded Tiffany instantly. Jessica told them what happened, and everyone was in a shock. Who would do this to Yuri? An hour later, the doctor appeared, and Tiffany rushed up to him.

“How’s my wife?”

“She’s out of danger now. But we still need to keep her under observations. She has lost of blood so that’s not good. We will have to check on her again once she wakes up.”

Yuri was pushed to her ward and the police arrived shortly after. They managed to get some description and wondered if Tiffany could identify the suspect.

“We found a description. A couple of people have told us that they saw a foreigner running away from the corner where Miss Kwon was found.”

“Foreigner?”

“Yeah, a foreign man. He’s definitely not a local.”

The ladies looked at each other and Tiffany was fuming mad. If it’s a foreigner, that could be just one suspect in mind. Tobey.

“Do you happen to know a foreign man?”

“Actually, I do. We all do.”

“Oh?”

“In fact, I probably need your help to investigate on this matter.”

Tiffany and the officers shifted to a quiet corner while the ladies were staring at each other. Jessica was a little concerned with this guy named Tobey, Anna’s husband.

“He’s capable of violence.”

Jessica suddenly spoke up.

“Do you think he will harm Anna if he finds out what we are planning to do now?”

“Well, he started it. Nobody asked him to hurt Yuri.”

Soo Young added on. She was pissed that someone was so violent enough to hit Yuri at the back of her head. This man was not a gentleman. And Taeyeon was in deep thoughts. If this guy was capable of hurting Yuri, then Yuri was right. He must have been hiding secrets from Anna.

“Where can we find Anna?”

“Taeyeon?”

“I feel that we should be confronting this guy with Anna around.”

“I know where we can find her. I have her number.”

Irene spoke up and all the ladies turned to her. Irene explained everything to them, and Jessica was taken aback.

“You mean Anna kinda knows now?”

“Yes, I urged her to do DNA to determine whether she’s the real Yoona or Anna. Either way, she would like to find out too. She was clueless of her background. The only person she knew was Tobey.”

“Let’s find them. But someone needs to stay with Tiffany.”

“I’ll stay with Wendy. We can keep Fany Mommy company.”

“Okay, anything just give me a call.”

Taeyeon then grabbed Jessica’s hand and Soo Young’s arm. It was better that they do this together. Tobey wouldn’t dare to hit anyone if there were more of them.

-

Anna sat on the sofa; Tobey was nowhere in sight. He must have gone out, so she sat on the sofa; waiting for her. The television was showing but Anna’s mind was far away. It brought her back to the beach; to the time where she was with Jessica.

She could still feel Jessica’s warmth in her arms, and she recalled Irene’s words. Jessica was her lover. They fell in love and Anna could understand why. Jessica’s beautiful.  She would love to date someone as beautiful as Jessica. Anna subconsciously was smiling to herself when she remembered how Jessica smells – sweet lavender and how her arms wrapped around Anna’s neck; and how Anna found herself embracing Jessica tightly in her arms.

It came so naturally; and it didn’t feel awkward. Anna wanted to stay forever in Jessica’s arms. And when Jessica looked at her, Anna wanted to kiss her lips so desperately. But she refrained herself; and gave a soft peck on her cheek instead.

“Why is this woman giving me so much feelings inside? And why is it so natural for me to hold her like as though she was mine all the while?”

She covered her eyes with the back of her hand. And then soon she fell asleep.

-

“Yoona ah, wake up.”

Her eyes were fluttering before she opened fully. She was greeted with another pair of eyes – the most beautiful pair of eyes she ever laid on. She let out a satisfied sigh before wrapping her arms around the woman in front of me.

“Good morning, sweetie.”

“Good morning, Unnie~”

“Had a good sleep?”

“Of course, whenever I’m with you, everything is just perfection.”

“So cringey. Get up, or you’ll be late.”

“I need something.”

“What is it?”

Yoona pouted her lips together; waiting for Jessica to reciprocate her kiss. She did. And she deepened the kiss till Yoona was out of breath.

“Wow.”

“Yes, is that good enough for you to wake up now?”

“It’s more than good. Can we do it again?”

“No, you’re seriously late for work. Now get ready.”

“Just one kiss!”

Yoona pulled Jessica towards her and then flipped her around; now Jessica was lying on the bed and Yoona was hovering above her. Yoona trapped Jessica underneath her and then her loving gaze left Jessica melting with love.

“You’re so beautiful, Jessica.”

“I think I heard that a lot.”

“And I’m so glad my heart chose you.”

“You were so adamant to be with me.”

“I am! And I still do. I just want to stay here with you. And nobody else. Just you.”

Jessica smiled softly.

“Jung Soo Yeon. Trust me. Even if one day I were to lose my memories, I’ll still come back and find you. I’ll run everywhere to find you. Believe me. One day, I’ll come back to your side and then I’ll never let you go.”

-

Yoona was wandering aimlessly; did some window-shopping and had nothing else in mind. She was bored to death because Jessica had to look after Taeyeon since the latter just had her surgery. She wanted to keep her mind off, so she wandered from one mall to another.

Sometimes Yoona wondered why she was so generous; why she was so ready to give Jessica up just because Taeyeon was sick and they had a child together. Irene grew up without the presence of both mothers and Yoona felt like she was lacking since she had no experience as a mother.

In fact, Yoona grew up without a mother and it wasn’t a wonderful memory for her either. It wasn’t easy to pretend to be tough but deep down inside, Yoona was clueless and confused. And why did her father had to leave her behind when she was still a child?

Loneliness was her best friend. And she couldn’t allow another innocent child like Irene to experience what she had when she was a child. She could be Irene’s mother if she wanted to but Taeyeon was still alive. It was more important for Irene to get closer with Taeyeon.

Suddenly, she chanced upon a jewellery shop. She stood outside; staring at the display. A beautiful diamond ring was showing off its beauty and the diamond was shining so brightly.

“This will look good on Jessica.”

She smiled as she admired the ring from outside. Just then, the salesperson spotted her and then approached her with a bright smile.

“Would you consider looking at it at a closer distance?”

“Can I?”

“Yes, you may.  Come with me.”

Yoona followed the salesgirl. It was a mistake. The woman was a god in sales; persuasive and Yoona was compelled to buy it.

“Your girlfriend would love it.”

“Do you think she will?”

“This diamond ring signifies an everlasting love.”

“Okay, I’ll take it.”

Yoona took the ring home and then removed the box. She then pulled out her necklace and wore it around her neck.

“I’ll propose to her one day.”

-

Everything was in a mess. Children were wailing and women were screaming. Yoona gripped the corner of her seats tightly. The plane was having problems. The plane she was in was flying erratically and now, nose-dived in downward spiral.

Yoona felt her whole world spun like the drum of washing machine. She tried to close her eyes, but she just couldn’t. It was too difficult to even pray for safety. She knew she was going to die somehow.

“May day! May day!”

She could hear the pilot shouting frantically; desperately crying out for help but the traffic air control people couldn’t even hear them.

So, this was how she was going to die. This was how God had planned for her. And whatever it was pre-planned for; Yoona would never be with Jessica. She reached out for her necklace and grabbed the ring in her hand. She clenched her palm and tears fell from the corner of her eyes.

“I guess I will never be with you, Jessica. This time is not ours yet.”

She should have just proposed before leaving. But she wanted to be fair; she wanted to see if their relationship could survive the long distance. And would it be more worthy if she could prove to Jessica that her love is here to stay and when they reunite, she’s going to celebrate it with a unification and this ring.

But no, whatever she had planned in mind; it was never going to happen. Instead, she was going to die in a plane crash.

“God, I’ll leave my life in your hands. Wherever you lead me; whatever you wanna do with me; trust me; I’ll find my way to Jessica even if death.”

She was going to rebel against God. She has never done that, but she felt it was necessary this time.

“I’ll find her. I’ll find Jessica with my heart.”

She closed her eyes; the plane was spiralling downwards; but something struck Yoona in the head. She felt blood profusely flowing down her face before she found herself lost in darkness.

But before she was completely lost; Yoona whispered her name once again.

“Jessica Jung, I love you.”

-

Anna’s eyes snapped open.  Her face was full of perspiration; she could feel her heart beating erratically. The left side of her head was throbbing so badly.

“Urgh.”

She tried to sit up, but the pain was unbearable. She grabbed her hair and tried to withstand the pain. It was futile; it was getting worse by the second.  And Tobey was still not back. She had no choice; she managed to press “0” on the phone and reached out to the lobby.

“Room 151, please come quickly.”

Anna stuttered in English, but the receptionist couldn’t hear properly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get you. Can you speak louder, Maam?”

Anna closed her eyes; the pain was too overwhelming that she wanted to throw up so badly.  However, she tried all her might to regain her strength and then she said something. She said something in Korean.

제발 도와주세요. 나는 너무 고통 스럽다.”  (jebal dowajuseyo. naneun neomu gotong seuleobda)

 

This time, the receptionist heard her and immediately sent someone up to her room.

-

Tobey was running around aimlessly. He had done something stupid. He had done something that wasn’t supposed to happen. He managed to stop somewhere and behind a huge cupboard. He was breathing hard; trying to catch his breath but the moment he glanced down to his hands, there was some blood spatters.

His eyes enlarged and he was losing his mind. The person earlier on wasn’t him. It wasn’t him at all. He was blinded by jealousy and overzealous by love. He hit someone. He hit someone with a wooden plank.

That someone was no stranger. That someone was related to Anna for some reason. What would happen if Anna found out? Will Anna leave him then?

“Anna..”

He had to get to Anna quickly. They need to leave soon; they need to leave now. They need to go back home. He needed to leave as soon as possible.

-

Taeyeon, Soo Young and Jessica finally reached to the hotel where Anna and Tobey stayed. The 3 of them were staring at the front lobby; still indecisive whether they should go in or wait.

“Now what?”

Soo Young asked.

“Should we ask the receptionist?”

“Do you know Anna’s name?”

Taeyeon turned to Jessica. Since she has met the woman a couple times, she was probably the best person to ask for the name. And Jessica knew the name by hard.

“Anna Maguire.”

They were about to approach the receptionist when there was a sudden commotion in the lounge. They saw two paramedics rushing up to the lift with a stretcher. A man in suit; most probably the hotel manager was directing them to somewhere.

“What’s going on?”

Soo Young quickly asked the receptionist.

“One of our guests called us for help. She was having difficulties in breathing and she complained her head was hurting so badly. We contacted the ambulance and now they are transporting her to the hospital.”

Jessica was moving closer to the lift. For some reason, she didn’t feel good. There was this uneasiness deep down in her heart that propelled her to move closer to the lift. There was a crowd there too.

“Sica?”

Taeyeon followed her with Soo Young closely behind her. Then the lift was open, and the paramedics were pushing the stretcher out. They were in a hurry, but Jessica managed to take a peek at the person on the stretcher.

Her eyes grew larger. Not only hers, Taeyeon and Soo Young realized that they knew the person.

“YOONA!”

-

Yuri was lying on the bed; sleeping peacefully. The doctors were convinced that Yuri would be fine after some rest. They did some tests on her, but Yuri’s brain had some wavelength and it was a relief. It was still functioning.

“She needs some rest.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

“Don’t worry, she will recover.”

Tiffany was relieved. Yuri was out of trouble. She glanced over her shoulder – Irene and Wendy were sleeping soundly too. Wendy was lying on Irene’s lap while Irene was leaning against the sofa. They were here for the last 4 hours. She requested for an additional blanket and wrapped the two girls with it.

She then walked to Yuri’s bed. She sat next to Yuri and then held her hand tightly.

“You’ll be alright.”

Tiffany whispered.

“We will find that assailant. We will find Tobey and get justice for you. He must have found out about you and Anna. Now I’m even convinced that Anna is indeed Yoona. If not, why would Tobey do this to you?”

Tiffany gently caressed Yuri’s cheeks. She smiled.

“When you wake up, let’s plan to have a family. Let’s adopt a child, Yuri. Let’s complete our family. So, please hang on. Wake up soon, okay darling. I miss you.”

-