Chapter 43

녹 (Rust)

Anna finally got back to her hotel room. Tobey was on the bed watching television. Both were silence in their steads. Both had too many in their minds to even notice each other. Eventually Tobey was the first one to greet her.

“Anna?”

“Hm?”

Anna finally looked up; she saw her husband on the bed. She was feeling guilty for thinking of Jessica. At least she found out her name.

“Where did you go?”

Tobey got out of the bed and walked over to Anna. He wrapped his arms around her from the back. Anna enjoyed that little warmth but it was still awkward. She suddenly found it awkward being in Tobey’s arms. And she was frustrated too.

She wriggled her way out of Tobey’s arms and stood further away. For some reason she didn’t like to be held like that; anymore. And Tobey was confused. Anna had never done that. He thought he had done a mistake.

“Are you mad that I left without telling you this morning?”

Anna was still at the corner of the room. She removed her watch and pulled out her accessories as she turned to face Tobey. She was staring at him; she suddenly had doubts about herself. But she didn’t want to hurt Tobey so she leaned in and kissed his forehead.

“Nothing, I’m not mad. I’m just tired. I walked a lot today.”

“Oh? So you had a short tour around the city?”

Anna wondered if she should tell him the truth but she bit her tongue. Tobey wouldn’t understand because she herself couldn’t understand how Jessica is related to her. It got her confused and she spent the whole time thinking about this matter.

So she had to tell a white lie.

“Yeah, I couldn’t find you anywhere.”

Anna pouted her lips and Tobey found it cute. His heart skipped a beat each time Anna did cute things like that.

“I’m a little hungry.”

“Oh? You didn’t eat anything?”

“I was waiting for you actually.”

Anna felt guilty. This time, she felt it. She couldn’t understand why she couldn’t get Jessica out of her mind. She was thinking of that woman too much. So she pushed thoughts of Jessica away. She has a husband to attend to.

“I’ll wash up and we will grab some dinner ok?”

“Okay.”

Anna disappeared into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. She stared at the mirror in front of her and all she could see was Jessica’s reflection.

She grabbed her hair in exasperation before she leaned closer and splashed her face with water. This was driving her crazy. The moment Jessica walked away from her earlier on; she could almost feel like her heart was torn apart. She wanted so much to hold Jessica tightly in her arms; she didn’t want to let her go.

“This is crazy.”

She closed her eyes as the water kept running from the tap. 

“Why am I like this?”

Standing here without Jessica drove her crazy.

-

Jessica was elated to see Taeyeon greeting her at the front door of her house. She immediately grabbed Taeyeon and hugged her tightly. Taeyeon was grinning from ear to ear.

“So, miss me so much?”

“What do you think?”

“Oh come on, I was away for a week only.”

“A lot of things happened while you were away.”

Taeyeon pulled Jessica away for a second. She swore Jessica’s voice was quivering.

“What happened? Why are your eyes so red?”

“I’m tired.”

“Have you eaten?”

Jessica shook her head so Taeyeon pulled her in after closing the door behind them. Tiffany and Yuri were out for a date; Soo Young was visiting her family and Irene was going to spend the night at Wendy’s place.

“So this place is just you and me?”

“Yeah, Irene is at Wendy’s house and the couple is dating. So probably be back late. And Soo Young is visiting her family.”

“Soo Young?”

“Oh, my new assistant. Do you remember Irene’s Professor?”

Jessica remembered vaguely.

“She’s my assistant now.  And she’s staying with me at my place.”

“So you’re going home later?”

Jessica was clingy and Taeyeon knew something was not right. She had known this woman for ages and she always knew. Jessica couldn’t hide it from her.

“If you want me to stay, I’ll stay with you. Soo Young is probably staying at her parents’ place tonight. Are you alright?”

“I just don’t want to be alone tonight.”

“I’ll stay.”

“Are you sure?”

“You know what, if you ask me to move the mountains for you, you know I would.”

Jessica wasn’t surprised about that confession. Taeyeon has been taking good care of her even after their divorce was finalized. She knew Taeyeon was making up for the lost time.

“Taeyeon, I’m so grateful towards you. And I feel sorry for giving up on us.”

“No you didn’t. I was the one who gave up on you for the last 20 years. Now we are close friends and we’re still together because of Irene. We will always have this relationship because of Irene. So don’t ever think that you’re a burden to me.”

“Tae, you should start dating.”

“Date? Who wants a 40 + year old woman like me?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. She took out her mirror from her handbag and shoved it to Taeyeons’ face. Taeyeon was confused.

“What?”

“Please take a look in the mirror. Is there a 40 year old auntie staring back at you? All I could see is a youthful woman with eye slits.”

“Hey!”

Jessica laughed while Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“No seriously, look at you, Tae. My subordinates think you’re in your 20s. They have no idea that you’re the oldest among the both of us.”

Taeyeon gave her a playful smirk and earned a smack from Jessica. Taeyeon retaliated by hitting her with a cushion and both became children after a while.

“Stop it!”

Jessica was getting tired. She was almost breathless. And she laughed when there were a couple of feathers sticking to Taeyeon’s hair.

“I must have hit it too hard.”

“Tell me about it.”

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon. But you still look good with feathers.”

Jessica giggled while Taeyeon rolled her eyes for the second time. They finally stopped playing with the cushions. Jessica disappeared into the bathroom for a quick wash up while Taeyeon headed to the kitchen.

She knew Jessica was still feeling down. She would squeeze the truth out of her later on but for now; it would be a better choice to feed the ice princess. Tiffany and Yuri decided to abandon them so they didn’t cook that night.

Taeyeon pulled out a frying pan and pulled out some ingredients from the fridge. She was going to make kimchi fried rice – Jessica’s favourite. Taeyeon was a better cook compared to Jessica. That woman couldn’t even fry an egg without letting it get burnt.

She was cooking when Jessica appeared in the kitchen in her lingerie. Taeyeon’s mouth fell wide. And Jessica feigned nonchalant.

“Are you trying to kill me, woman?”

“What? This is my house. I can wear anything I want.”

“You’re not going to seduce me, right?”

“Kim Taeyeon, get your mind straight before I stuff this mushrooms into your mouth.”

“You’re so y.”

Taeyeon mumbled but Jessica just rolled her eyes instead. The two women ended up cooking together and finally settled down for dinner. Taeyeon was watching Jessica all the time. The woman has the saddest pair of eyes ever since Yoona left them.

And Jessica didn’t eat much tonight. She used to dig Taeyeon’s fried rice.

“You don’t want like my food anymore?”

“Huh?”

“You’re not even eating. You had like two bites and that was it.”

“I don’t have any appetite tonight.”

“Wae?”

Jessica looked up and saw Taeyeon’s concerned eyes. She has always love this look of Taeyeon – that loving and benevolent pair of eyes often touched Jessica’s heart. Kim Taeyeon is beautiful.

“I saw Yoona.”

Taeyeon choked on her rice.

“What?”

“She said her name is Anna. But when I touched her hands, I felt that familiar warmth. I’m convinced that she’s Yoona.”

“Does she remember you?”

Jessica shook her head; tears filled her eyes.

“Jessica, do you happen to see this woman in town?”

Jessica looked up immediately.

“You know something, don’t you?”

“You guys are unbelievable. Irene, Wendy, Tiffany and Yuri had seen this woman before. But all of you were just keeping it to yourself.”

“They know too?!”

“Yeah, they saw her in town too but they weren’t too sure if she was Yoona. But that’s not the point. We’re going to help you to find out if she’s really Yoona. And if she’s Yoona, we’re going to bring her back home.”

Taeyeon was going to do something about it.

-

Yuri watched as Tiffany was swaying her body slightly to the music. The pair had decided to have dinner together and headed to a bar nearby. A live band was playing and they were singing to George Michael’s Jesus to a Child. Yuri had a smile on her face. She pulled Tiffany closer to her.

“I love you.”

She whispered softly. And Tiffany smiled. She mouthed the same words back to her and it would still make Yuri’s heart flutters.

“I’m so lucky that you’re still with me.”

“It has been an amazing with you. And I have never regretted giving my heart to you.”

“Honestly, it took me 5 months before you could finally break free from Jessica.”

“Are you going to complain now?”

“No, but it really took me a while. I almost gave up.”

Tiffany turned herself around and cupped her palms on Yuri’s cheeks. She studied her love’s face carefully before leaning in for a fervent kiss. She enjoys such kisses with Yuri; those lingered kisses as their lips touched slightly. Yuri was so gentle when it comes to kisses.

She knew the very reason why Yuri decided to hang on to her faith. She could remember that night when Yuri and Yoona were competing for Tiffany’s attention.

-

“Tiffany, do you want to dance with me?”

That flirtatious woman wouldn’t stop teasing her poor cousin. She was looking straight at Yuri while she asked the question to Tiffany.

“What are you trying to do?”

Tiffany was aware of Yoona’s mischievous pranks on Yuri. But nevertheless, she took part some of the prank moments. Yuri was just so cute sometimes.

“Come and dance with me. I’ll take your night away.”

“That comes from a song.”

“Sure, I’m not that romantic. But I can make you feel romantic after the dance. You know perhaps on the bed or some thing?”

“Leave her alone.”

Yuri finally snapped. Im Yoona was such a jerk sometimes. But Yuri admired her confidence. Yoona was so easy-going and not pretentious. Women love her. Men adore her. Even Tiffany Hwang, the woman of Yuri’s dreams, was sometimes flirting back with Yoona.

“So are you going to ask her to dance with you?”

Yoona was undaunted. She was trying to help her cousin to score with Tiffany. Eventually Yuri plucked up her courage and grabbed Tiffany’s wrist.

“She’s coming with me tonight.”

Yuri gently pulled Tiffany along and held on to her wrist tightly. The club they were hanging out at was close to the beach. She pulled Tiffany all the way to the beach and finally let the woman’s wrist go. She turned around and realized Tiffany was wearing her halter back dress; she was slightly shivering. Yuri took out her denim jacket. She put over the woman’s shoulders.

Tiffany’s face was slightly flushed. Yuri couldn’t make up her mind whether Tiffany was being shy or perhaps the alcohol was the culprit. Suddenly she got tongue-tied and finally realized that she was all alone with Tiffany. Her heart shrank.

“So, what is going on now?”

Tiffany decided to speak up after a moment of silence. Yuri was fighting with her inner self. Since when she got so brave to be all alone with Tiffany like this?

“I…”

Yuri was dumbstruck. Tiffany is so beautiful. And she has been waiting for the woman patiently. Tiffany was so in love with her best friend, Jessica. It drove her crazy each time Tiffany would cry when they meet. She would cry over Jessica Jung.

But it has been months and Tiffany had stopped crying after some time. They spent more time together and then Yoona came into the picture. That woman. That nerve of that deer. She knew of Yuri’s affections towards Tiffany so she decided to help out – as her new love rival.

“Yuri?”

“Huh?”

“Is there something you wanna say tonight?”

Tiffany’s eyes-smiles were so beautiful. Yuri melted so easily.

“Fany ah, I have something to say tonight.”

“Yes, what is it?”

“I…..”

Yuri struggled so hard to confess but Tiffany waited patiently. She somehow already knew that Yuri cares so much about her. But nevertheless, she waited for Yuri’s confession.

“I know you’re still getting over Jessica at the moment. And it’s probably going to be difficult because you have loved her all of your life. But if you can give me a chance, I’ll love you more than anyone else would. And I’ll take good care of you for the rest of your life.”

That was a good confession. And Tiffany accepted it. She was already leaning towards Yuri because the woman had been by her side. Yuri had seen her worst and so now, Tiffany would give her best to her.

Yuri was about to lean in for a kiss when Yoona appeared with champagne and confetti was flying all around them. Yuri was stunned and Tiffany was amused.

“Congratulations, Tiffany! You’re attached!”

Yoona leaned in for a surprise kiss much to Yuri’s chagrin. And of course, hell broke loose.

“YA! THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE MY KISS!”

“Oh come on! This would be my last time kissing her.”

“YA! WHATS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!”

“Oh. I kissed her before. At Dan’s party.”

“YOU WHAT?!”

-

“Yoona was crazy back then.”

“But I find her cute.”

“Fany, seriously?”

Tiffany laughed before kissing Yuri on her lips. The couple was so in love; and still in love. It has been years and Yuri still finds herself falling for Tiffany over and over again. The live band was playing a slow number and it was Tiffany’s favourite song.  She pulled her baby to the dance floor.

The couple danced together; Tiffany had always love to rest her head against Yuri’s chest. That was her favourite place in the world. As they swayed gently; body to body and skin to skin; Yuri was completely lost in Tiffany’s gaze.

“I’m so in love with you.”

“Cheesy.”

Yuri stuck her tongue out and the pair continued dancing. Suddenly Tiffany’s back bumped against someone. She quickly turned and the person turned as well. Yuri was stunned to find Anna smiling at them. Anna recognized them easily.

“Hey, it’s you!”

And Yuri wasn’t the only. Anna’s dancing partner was equally shocked.

“Tobey, do you remember them?”

“Ah yes. I do.”

“It’s such a surprise to find the two of you here.”

“Yeah, it’s like destiny.”

Tiffany suddenly spoke up and Tobey flinched at those words. It was clear to Tiffany that Tobey wasn’t pleased to meet them again. And Yuri was not letting go this time.

“Say, let’s have a drink together. The night is still young.”

Tobey was about to protest but Anna took up the offer almost immediately.

“Sure, we don’t have much stuffs to do anywhere.”

It was a good time for Tiffany and Yuri to pry more into Anna’s life.

-

Irene was making out with Wendy in her bedroom. Wendy’s bed was so cozy for the couple to hang out. It has been awhile since she kissed Wendy.

“Sheesh, how could I forget how fantastic kisser you are.”

Irene was breathless for a second. Wendy didn’t give her time to breathe in between kisses. Wendy was too engrossed with Irene’s lips.

“I thought you have forgotten about me.”

“Aww, I’m sorry baby.”

“But it’s okay. I get to play detective.”

Irene was exasperated with Wendy’s obsession to become a spy. She should stopped Wendy from watching spy movies soon.

Somehow they ended up lying next to each other. Irene slipped her hand into Wendy’s. She clasped their palms together and the spaces between their fingers fit perfectly. Wendy lifted their intertwined palms together to her lips.

“I love you, Irene.”

Irene smiled as she looked on. Her girlfriend has been perfect. She wondered if they could stay together forever. She thought of her mothers and Irene hoped she could have Wendy’s child one day too.

She turned over and laid on her stomach. She gently pulled Wendy’s nose and kissed her.

“I hope we get married together.”

“You and me?”

“Yes, don’t you want to?”

Wendy smiled and nodded profusely.

“I want to have a family just like how our parents did. Your mothers and my mothers. I don’t really care if we are not exactly a perfect family but as long as I’m with you, my life will be perfect then.”

Wendy added on and Irene was moved to tears.

“Once you graduate, we will move in together. I’ll start work soon and I don’t want to live without you. You know how demanding my future job could be.”

“Let’s get married after I graduate. We rent a house together; I’ll cook and you do the laundry. Then we will have dinner together. Lie in bed and just stay blissfully together.”

“We will make it through, right baby?”

“Of course. I’m not going to walk away from you.”

Irene hugged Wendy tightly. She had been longing for love, attention and a simple touch like this. She was happy that her mothers were still on good terms. And her professor had returned to Seoul. Irene somehow could feel that her Taeyeon Omma should be in good hands.

Her only worry was her Mommy Jessica.

“I hope that woman is indeed Yoona Omma.”

Wendy smiled and nodded.

“Then pray. You might never know that a miracle can come true somehow.”

Irene agreed.

-

“Shh, she’s sleeping.”

Taeyeon gestured to the sleeping Jessica on the sofa. The woman fell asleep after a good cry and few rounds of wine drinking session.

“Did you knock her out or something?”

“No, she needed a drink and a good cry.”

“Oh. Am I disturbing?”

“No, come on in. I’ll bring you to the room. You can sleep in the guest room.”

“And Jessica? Then yourself?”

“I will bring her to her room. And I’ll sleep in Irene’s room.”

Soo Young agreed. So both of them tip-toed quietly to the second floor and Taeyeon showed her the guest room. Taeyeon was pulling out some blankets and comforter from the cupboard. Soo Young looked on.

“This isn’t your house, right?”

“I used to stay here.”

“Ah, that’s right.”

“Get some sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

Soo Young nodded and Taeyeon left the room. She could hear muffle noises outside before she heard last few steps and the light switch clicked. Taeyeon must have finally put Jessica to bed and herself.

Soo Young was supposed to stay at her parents’ place but apparently her room has changed into an entertainment room. Her sister was married so she couldn’t bunk in with her. So she had no choice but to return to Tiffany’s place since Taeyeon was staying the night there.

She settled down on the bed; pulling up the blanket to her neck. She was shocked to learn that Yoona might be alive. If she was, then that would be great. Yuri would be so happy to have Yoona back and Jessica would be overjoyed.

But she was worried about Taeyeon. It was clear to Soo Young that Taeyeon still cares so much about Jessica.  Taeyeon was determined to help Jessica; but Soo Young knew Taeyeon wanted nothing but only happiness for Jessica.

So it hurt Taeyeon and in return, it hurt Soo Young because she knew it would just be impossible for her. She loves Kim Taeyeon. It has been years and Soo Young couldn’t understand why it was so difficult to confess but yet so easy to love unconditionally.

Perhaps it would be better if the love was left unsaid. Then at least it wouldn’t be so awkward and she was just glad to be next to Taeyeon; just like this as her assistant. Taeyeon needed her and relied on her too much that Soo Young found it endearing.

She tossed and the bed. And when her eyes were slowly losing to her dreams; Soo Young was about to drift to dreamland when someone just fell on her. She screamed.

“ !”

Soo Young sat up and pushed the person away. It gave her the shock of her life but she was even surprised to find that person turned out to be Kim Taeyeon.

She was sleep-walking.

“Are you kidding me, Kim Taeyeon!?”

But Kim Taeyeon didn’t care. Instead, she pulled Soo Young and hugged the woman tightly.  Choi Soo Young almost died.

“KIM TAEYEON!”

The sleeping log wouldn’t budge and poor Choi Soo Young was trapped in the sleeping log’s arms. She didn’t have much choice. Taeyeon was a sleeping dead that night.

-

“What were you trying to do just now?”

Anna raised her voice at Tobey. The pair had their first fight. Tobey was being rude to the two ladies and Anna didn’t like it at all.

“Why do we have to sit with them?”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“I don’t like them.”

“But you don’t have to be so rude! Why did you throw the glass of wine at Yuri’s face?!”

Tobey had never seen Anna so mad before. It was like as though it offended her so much when he was being rude to one of the women named Yuri.

“Are you fighting with me because of some strangers?”

“The fact that you’re rude is appalling for me. I believe Mom never taught you to be that way.”

“They were asking so many questions about you; about us. Don’t you think they are just being too much?”

“I don’t see any wrong about that. Now you go back in and apologise to Yuri.”

“NO, I WILL NOT DO THAT!”

Tobey stormed off after that; leaving Anna bewildered. The couple was sitting with Yuri and Tiffany after they bumped into each other. Tobey was observing Yuri all the time and he didn’t like the way Yuri was watching Anna intently.

He was convinced that Anna must be related to them. Tobey was greedy. He wanted Anna to herself so he lashed out at Yuri before throwing a glass of wine at her face.

And that irked Anna so much. His wife literally dragged him out of the bar and yelled at him. That was the very first time Anna did that to him.

“I’m sorry, Anna. I can’t let you go. I will never let you go.”

He was determined to make Anna hers.

-

“Is he crazy?”

Tiffany was helping Yuri. The woman’s blouse was drenched with red wine. Yuri was furrowing her eyebrows together.

“He really hates the questions we asked, doesn’t he?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean he can throw the glass of wine at my baby’s face!”

“I’m fine, sweetie. But I’m getting very suspicious of Tobey. He must have known something. He doesn’t seem to like it when we asked them how they met.”

Tiffany was still pissed off so she didn’t say anything much. She grabbed their bags and pulled Yuri with her. Anna had offered to make payment and she did before dragging Tobey away.

And Yuri was convinced.

“For sure, Tobey is a very shady character. I’m slowly to believe Anna is indeed Yoona.”

-