Chapter 32

녹 (Rust)

(Soo Young POV)

Soo Young quit her job as a professor at the university abruptly. She received a call from Singapore and had to rush back. 

“Are you sure you’re quitting your job, Professor Choi?”

“Yes, I have to. I need to return to Singapore.”

“Is there something wrong?”

“My ex-husband is terminally ill.”

“You were married before?”

“Yes, I was but we separated for quite some time. I need to rush back because he has nobody in Singapore. He’s an orphan and he has nobody to look after him.”

“Okay. I understand.”

“But please don’t let anyone know about me leaving.”

“I understand, Professor Choi.”

So Soo Young returned immediately. She was married before but when she finally realized that she couldn’t put herself through the marriage; she asked for a divorce. Her ex-husband agreed immediately.

But Soo Young could never leave her ex-husband alone. He has nobody but only her. So she felt guilty when she left Singapore a year ago. Recently, her ex-husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness. The hospital has called her and Soo Young made a trip back to Singapore.

She didn’t inform anyone about her departure. She was worried for Taeyeon but she knew she had to settle her unfinished business in Singapore. The moment she reached Singapore airport, she made her way to the hospital.

Her heart was heavy. And the moment she set her eyes on her ex-husband, her heart sank. After all, they were husband and wife before. Soo Young was genuinely concerned about him. She met his doctor, Dr Edward.

“He has 2 months to live. We have done all we could but the cancer cells have spread to all of his vital organs. They are weakening the functions and he’s now relying on life support system.”

“He wasn’t aware that he had cancer?”

“I believe he didn’t know until the last stage.”

“So there was no way you can save him?”

“No, I’m really sorry.”

Soo Young was upset with that news. She sat next to her ex-husband’s bedside. He was frail and thin. He was still unconscious.

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I should have come earlier. I’m sorry.”

-

Days went by and Soo Young’s ex husband’s condition got worse. Dr Edward gave her the ultimatum. She had the choice to turn off the life support system or let him continue to rely on it. Soo Young had a long thought about the matter.

Was it too cruel to end his life just like that?

“His heart is still healthy. If you wish, you can donate his heart to someone else.”

Dr Edward suggested. Soo Young was stunned at first; she suddenly thought of Taeyeon.

“Wouldn’t the cancer cells be a threat to the receiver?”

“His heart is completely healthy. The cancer cells spread through his lungs, kidneys and other vital organs but not the heart.”

“Let me think about it.”

-

“Hi Soo Young-shi.”

“Dr Shim, I have something to discuss with you.”

“Yes, what is it?”

Soo Young told him the truth.

“If the doctor in Singapore can certify that the heart is free from any disease, we can proceed. But have you thought it through?”

“I’m not sure. I’m still contemplating. He’s my ex husband and I really like Taeyeon a lot. I feel guilty towards my ex-husband but yet I really wanted to save Taeyeon’s life so badly.”

“He has no family members?”

“Yes, he’s an orphan. I’m the only kin in a way.”

“Then you should think it through. Give a thorough thought. I can still prolong Taeyeon’s condition. She’s doing fine now because Jessica took good care of her.”

Soo Young smiled weakly.

“That’s good to hear. Are they together?”

“I’m not too sure, Soo Young-shi. But Jessica and Irene have been taking turns to look after her. That’s why Taeyeon is responding to the medication.”

“Of course, family and love can heal someone who’s ill.”

“You might want to think about your ex-husband. Taeyeon still has time.”

“I will. Thank you.”

-

“Soo Young ah..”

Soo Young shifted in her sleep. She gently opened her eyes to find her ex husband smiling at her. Her eyes widened.

“Oppa?”

“Hey.”

“What are you doing? Wait, am I dreaming?”

“Yes you are. I’m visiting you in your dreams.”

Without hesitation, Soo Young pulled her ex husband closer and hugged him tightly. He looked so healthy and strong in her dreams; unlike reality.

“Do what you think is right, Soo Young.”

Soo Young was taken aback and pulled away slightly. She was still hanging on to his arms.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m just glad that you still have the heart to return to Singapore to look after me. But I know my time is up now. And if you have found someone who can love you better than me; and if my heart is the only way for you to be with her; I’m willing.”

“That’s not the point, Oppa. I feel really guilty for being greedy and selfish towards you.”

“It’s not necessarily a bad thing. At least, I can feel your love through her.”

“Are you really sure?”

“Yes, I’m very certain about this.”

The next morning, Soo Young woke up to bad news. Her ex-husband died in his sleep. But she didn’t feel upset because he had already said his goodbyes. And he had given his green light to donate his heart to the person Soo Young cares so much about.

But she decided to leave the administration to Yuri instead. After learning that Taeyeon’s happy with Jessica from Dr Shim, Soo Young decided to remain behind in Singapore. So she got Dr Edward to liaise with Yuri and Dr Shim.

“Are you sure you’re not going to be here?”

Dr Shim asked over the phone.

“Yes, I’m not coming back to Korea.”

“And you want to remain anonymous?”

“Yes, please do that.”

“Alright, Soo Young. I’ll update you.”

And Soo Young smiled after the call ended. She knew she had done her best to help Taeyeon.

“All the best, Kim Taeyeon. I wish you happiness with Jessica and Irene.”

-

(Yoona POV)

“We’re going to crash!”

The whole plane kept spiralling downwards and many passengers were thrown around just like ragdolls. Yoona held on to her seats till her knuckles turned white. It was just so sudden and Yoona could literally watched her life past through her mind.

“Is this how I’m going to die now?”

She wondered. She thought of Jessica. What would happen to her if she should die in this plane crash? Would Jessica be crying over her when she’s gone?

For that split second, Yoona prayed really hard. If she was to die, she hoped that God would convey her message to Jessica.

“God, if you can hear me, please help me. If this is how I’m going to die, I’ll accept it. But I would still pray and hope that you would save me because I have yet to prove to Jessica that I love her so much. I miss her so badly and if I could live just for a day, could you let her see me once again?”

As soon as her prayer was done, the plane went nose-dived straight into the ocean. It was completely darkness and Yoona was unconscious.

“Please save me.”

Those were her final words.

-

Plunging into a world of darkness was horrifying. The blinded tears and the hollow silence were haunting and almost tormenting. She was thrown to an abyss of silence. Nobody could hear her drowning screams. There was nothing to hold on to but a tiny wave of faith.

“Hey, there’s someone here!”

“Why is she strapped to a seat?”

“Can you shut up and pull her closer?”

“That looks like a seat from a plane.”

“Hang on, we need to get closer!”

“Is she alive?”

“Oh my god, she’s still breathing!!”

“Quick! Pull her to safety!”

An old couple and her son were fishing for a living when they spotted a floating seat. Never had they imagined that someone strapped to the seat was still breathing and alive. Of course, she was unconscious but the fact that she was breathing – a miracle.

“Oh boy, she’s pretty!”

“Son, stop blabbering.”

“Fine, I got her now.”

Maybe a miracle should happen. Maybe a prayer was being answered.

“Let’s take her home.”

-

The lady thought she was dead. And when she opened her eyes for the first time, she thought she was surrounded by 3 foreign angels. They were peering down at her.

“Dad, she’s awake!”

“I know. I can see that.”

Yoona looked on blankly. For some reason, she couldn’t understand why she was here.

“Where am I?”

“You’re at our house!”

The younger man answered happily.

“Toby, you’re scaring her.”

“No, I did not.”

The younger man retorted before pulling his hand out.

“I’m Toby. Toby Maguire. We found you.”

“Oh?”

“Can you remember what happened?”

“What happened to me?”

Toby looked at his father. His father shrugged his shoulders.

“We found you at the sea.”

“What was I doing there?”

“We would like to know too.”

“Wait, who am I?”

“Oh no, she couldn’t remember!”

The lady was terrified. She couldn’t remember who she was.

“Doesn’t she have any kind of ID card on her?”

“Dear, we found her at the sea. What type of ID card do you expect to find on her?”

“Maybe she’s a mermaid!”

“Tobey, shut up with your imagination!”

The confused lady looked on; she was still afraid. She held the blanket closer to her. The elderly woman realized it and sat next to the confused girl. She held the girl’s hand gently.

“I know you’re confused right now. But it’s okay. Just take your time and we will see what we can do along the way. Just stay here for time being, okay?”

“Are you sure it’s okay for me?”

“Well, it’s just me, my husband and my annoying son, Tobey.”

“HEY!”

“Be nice, Tobey.”

“Fine.”

The girl chuckled softly.

“Don’t worry, we’re not bad people! We will help you!”

Tobey was just so excited to have a friend in the house.

“I guess, I’ll do that then. I hope I’m not intruding.”

“Don’t be silly, Anna.”

“Anna?”

“Let’s call her Anna for now until we know her identity.”

The girl didn’t have much choice. This was the only thing she could hold on for now.