Chapter VIII

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was so excited for this chapter I had a hard time not to publish earlier. A bit of Sungyeol's past is revealed ! Enjoy !

 

Trouble came the day after. As Woohyun arrived at the hotel at six in the morning, ready to take his shift, he noticed the members of his staff were cautious around him, like walking on shells. When he saw one of his commis give him an uncomfortable look, he exploded.

“What’s wrong with all of you today ?” he shouted with all the authority he could muster.

“Sorry Chef, it’s just…” the youngest of them, Taehyung, the apprentice cook said. “There’s a rumour going around the hotel about you…” he muttered, sounding extremely uncomfortable.

“What is it ?” he asked.

“Please, don’t make me say…” the youngest begged.

“Say it, I’m ordering you.” He demanded in a tone that did not allow discussion.

“It said that you slept with a customer. A famous celebrity.” The apprentice said, looking mortified. “I’m sorry Chef ! Please don’t fire me !” he begged.

Woohyun was struck by the news. Yes, he knew he made a mistake by letting Howon have his way the other night. He just didn’t thought others would be aware of his mistake. Enraged, he throw violently the tablecloth he had in hand.

“All of you listen to me. Inside this kitchen, we are a team of professionals dedicated to satisfy our customers. If anyone here wants to bring in personal issues, I advise them to get out of my kitchen and never come back. Am I clear ?” he snapped.

Everyone nodded, not daring to utter a word.

“Alright. Let’s start working properly now.”

“Chef, yes Chef!” the staff shouted.

 

At nine, kitchen was in the rush hour of breakfast when Soojung came down.

“Woohyun-shi, the boss would like a word.” She called him at the doorstep of the kitchen since Woohyun forbid anyone to walk in without a proper uniform for hygienic reasons.

“Not now, I’m busy !” Woohyun shouted.

“It’s not a request.” The woman said. “Come with me.”

“ !” he exclaimed. “Dongwoon-ah, you’re in charge !” he told his first commis.

“Yes Chef !”

He left the kitchen and went to his office were they kept all the papers concerning the kitchen, like transactions with suppliers, future orders and stuff. He removed his pinafore and toque and put them on the chair before joining Soojung. She led him to the administrative ward, stopping at her desk.

“I’m warning you. He’s truly upset with you.” She said. “What’s gotten into you ?”

“I’ll deal with him.” Woohyun said, not wanting to have a lecture about his life from Soojung.

He knocked twice before opening the door. Sunggyu was seated at his desk, hands linked.

“You may sit.” He said, sounding serious.

Woohyun closed the door behind him before walking to one seat behind the desk, taking place on it.

“I guess by now you heard the reason of this convocation.” Sunggyu said.

“I have an idea.” Woohyun nodded.

“The thing is, Millennium has a cameras everywhere for the security to monitor people and avoid theft for example. But the day before yesterday, our cameras caught on something extremely inappropriate. First, in one elevator, you were seen having an improper behaviour toward a customer. Second, the cameras of the seventeenth floor recorded you getting into this customer’s room and getting out only late in the morning. From what I saw on the camera recordings, I can assume you spend the night with one of our guests. Can you imagine the impact if that thing leak ? The consequences for our hotel ?”

“I haven’t.” Woohyun admitted. “I haven’t thought at all.”

“I can see that !” Sunggyu exclaimed, upset. “Thankfully, no one saw you. I demanded all the records showing you to be given to me. I will destroy them personally, to be sure it can’t fall in the hands of evil-minded people. I already gave instructions to nip that story in the bud. I can’t allow Millennium to get caught in a scandal when we are this close to receive our potential investors from the States. Anyone mentioning this will be fired. As for you, you are suspended for a week starting from now.”

“Who will manage the restaurant ?” Woohyun asked.

“Dongwoon-shi will. He’s your right-hand-man, I am sure he can manage the restaurant.”

“Alright. Just let me brief him before I go.”

“Alright, that was your boss talking. Now I will speak as your best friend.” Sunggyu said, sighing deeply before regaining his seat. “Seriously Woohyun, what were you thinking ? With Howon out of all the people !”

“I know, I… I had a moment of weakness.”

“What happened to Dongwoo and I isn’t eloquent enough ? It can’t work !”

“I know hyung. I know, and I’m sorry I caused trouble to you and Millennium. It will never happen again, I promise you.”

“Of course it won’t happen again. I already took measures for that.” Sunggyu said.

“What did you do ?” Woohyun asked, suddenly worried.

“I went to Woollim Entertainment yesterday. I met with their boss and, after explaining the incident, I told him I could no longer accept INFINITE H in my hotel.”

“What ?” Woohyun exclaimed.

“I can’t have them here. Not anymore.” Sunggyu pointed out.

“This is not about me, is it ?” Woohyun said. “You just used this as an excuse, but in reality, you just can bring yourself to see Dongwoo anymore.”

“Shut up, you speak nonsense.” Sunggyu said. “I made this decision for the sake of Millennium. There’s nothing personal in it.”

“I don’t believe you !” Woohyun said.

“Well, it doesn’t matter. You should leave now. See you next week.” Sunggyu said icily, ending the discussion.

Woohyun gave him a death glare before leaving, slamming the door behind him to show his discontent. Sunggyu leaned in his chair, sighing deeply as he turned to the glass wall, looking at the city beneath him.

 

Woohyun went back to the restaurant and called Dongwoon in his office. Together they reviewed the hygienic procedures, the daily control of the cold room and storage room, and the days of suppliers. After making sure his assistant got it all under control, they came back to the kitchen.

“People, I require a moment of your attention !” Woohyun shouted to cover the noise.

Everyone stopped their current activity to listen to him.

“I think it’s really important that a team remain truthful to be able to work together. On this belief, I have to tell you something. Because my behaviour wasn’t appropriate, I got suspended for a week. I’m not worried about the restaurant thought, because I leave Dongwoon in charge, and I know that each one of you guys is going to just as well with or without me. Millennium is not a simple workplace. It’s a family. I know you guys will give your best for it, and I just have to wish you good luck. Fighting ! I’ll come back next week.”

Woohyun got surprised when everything started to clap for him at the end of his little speech.

“Chef, I’m gonna miss you !” their maknae shouted.

“Taehyung-ah, you better have progressed when I’ll be back !” he retorted. “Bye everyone !” he said before leaving.

 

Sungjong was waiting at the bar while Sungyeol prepared the drinks his customers ordered. It wasn’t lunch yet but the young waiter started to feel ache in his limbs. He had a big project to hand at school, but since he needed more money recently, he had agreed to work more hours and he started to regret it.

“Oh, Woohyun-ah !” Sungyeol shouted, making Sungjong snap from his thoughts.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter