Chapter XX

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This chapter makes me feel like an awful human being. It's angst, but most of all, it's cruel. You know the kind of cruel that gives you hope only crush you later in tiny little pieces. Please do not judge me by the way I treat Sunggyu in this chapter. I love him and his character is probably my favourite out of all the story. I just do what needs to be done. 

 

Around the table, the atmosphere was serious, reflecting the deal going on. Sunggyu wasn’t at his first business deal himself, but like a green boy, he held his breath as Mr. Smith took the pen to sign the contract, sealing the partnership between his company and Millennium, ensuring the construction and launching of Millennium World Hotel chain in the United States. Sunggyu had a look for Soojung, and smiled as he was his secretary intensely starring at the man ratifying the paperwork, almost febrile.

“Well, I think we’re done here.” The man said as he finished signing everything.

The paperwork passed through Soojung who gave it to Sunggyu. He checked that every signature was well placed before putting the papers in front of him.

“As the contract has been signed by both parties, I must say I can’t wait for us to work together. I propose for us all to have dinner together before getting you to the airport for your flight.” Sunggyu said.

“That sounds delightful.”

The two businessmen shook hands, and soon enough, only Sunggyu and his secretary remained in the conference room.

“Depyonim, congratulations !” Soojung exclaimed excitedly, not able to contain herself any longer. “You made it ! Millennium is launching to the States ! That’s amazing !”

“It was a team effort Soojung-ah.” Sunggyu said modestly, but not able to supress the small smile curving his lips. “I’m glad we made it.”

“Do you realise the impact on Millennium ? As soon as we’ll make this public, the branch stocks’ value will jump, and so will the others ! Millennium will get even more stronger and prosperous thanks to your initiative ! Aigo, I’m so proud to have such a smart and strategist boss !”

“When you’ll stop fangirling over my obvious awesomeness, please put the contracts in my personal safe and notify formally the HQ.” Sunggyu told her.

“Right on it !” she nodded positively, leaving the conference room.

As he was left alone, Sunggyu walked to the glass wall, admiring the city beneath him. That was one of those days he felt on top of the world, able to conquer anything.

Wait for me my love. He thought tenderly as his eyes roamed the city. Just a little more. I’m almost there.

 

In the afternoon, as Sunggyu reviewed the contract’s paperwork to assure himself that he wasn’t dreaming, his desk phone rang.

“Yes Soojung-ah.” He answered.

“Depyonim, the chairman is on line.” She said, a bit wary.

Much like his secretary, Sunggyu was surprised his father bothered to call in by himself, and passing through his secretary on top of that instead of doing what any parent would, calling on his cell phone. Nevertheless, he thanked her and took the call.

“Yobuseyo ?”

“Sunggyu-yah.” Said a calm, controlled voice over the phone. His father had never been very warm, so up to this day, there was a polite distance between the old father and grown-up son.

“Sajanim, to what do I owe the pleasure ?” Sunggyu said.

“I heard you got an investor to back you up in the States. It seems Millennium will have a market opening in the US after all.”

Yes, even their conversations were work related. They never shared more than their total devotion to Millennium anyway.

“You are sharp as always. I signed the contract this morning. Sounds like your dream of conquering the American market is coming true, at last.”

And I was the one who made it happen, Sunggyu thought proudly, even if he didn’t spoke those words out loud.

“You’re indeed my son.” The man said. “I’m proud of you, Sunggyu-yah.”

Neither of them was the kind of person to pour their hearts to others, and obviously not to one another. So Sunggyu took a moment to digest the compliment, the little boy greedy for his father’s approval being pushed aside as he cleared his throat.

“Thank you father. I’m nothing if dutiful to our family and Millennium.”

“Maybe you should take more responsibilities within the conglomerate.” His father suggested. “You did such a wonderful job with the hotel chain. Would you like have more prerogatives ? Of course, it will mean more work, but it will train you more efficiently to take over.”

Sunggyu’s breath got caught in his throat. He breathed deeply, reminding himself to not sound too giddy or impatient and behave like the man his father wanted him to be.

“Actually, there is something I’m interested in.” Sunggyu said.

“Please, develop your case.” His father said at the end of the line.

“I want to control the management of our stock market.” He said, trying hard to remain as emotionless and detached as he should appear.

“Do you mean the stock investments or the corporate investments ?” the chairman of the company asked.

“Both.” Sunggyu replied instantly, giving tit for tat.

A deep silence followed, Sunggyu only aware of his father not hanging up on him being his steady breath.

“That’s a big responsibility.” The man said. “A very big one.”

“I know father, I understand the stakes.” Sunggyu assured him. “But I wish to bring Millennium to a greater level. Nothing would make me happier.”

Another silence followed, after what the man sighed deeply.

“I will think about it.” He conceded. “Until then, work hard.”

“Always father. Have a good day.” Sunggyu wished him.

The man reciprocated the courtesy before hanging up. After this phone call, Sunggyu took his mobile to make a call he wished private.

“Hi, isn’t that my smartass of a friend.”

“Hey Junhyung-ah, what’s up ?”

“Well, everything’s the same, trading at the TSE.”

“Great. Listen, I need you to do me a favour, and you’re the most brilliant trader I know, and the only one I trust.” Sunggyu said.

“Kim Sunggyu is flattering me. Wow, you must be desperate.” Junhyung laughed over the phone.

“I need you to get me a dozen of proxies, as diverse as you can.”

“That’s a lot.” Junhyung pointed out. “By diverse, I presume you want to prevent the suspicion of a massive purchase of stocks and shares by a single individual.” He reasoned, sharp as always. “If I didn’t know you better, I’d think you intend a hostile takeover of Millennium.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Sunggyu snorted. “Millennium belongs in majority to my family. Why would I do that ? No, I aim for something smaller. But still, I want to be cautious.”

“I presume you won’t tell me what you intend to buy.” Junhyung said.

“Of course not. I don’t want the shares to go higher because there is a suspicion of added value.”

“Hey, before being a trader, I am your friend.” Junhyung said, faking hurt feelings.

“One has no friends when it comes to business.” Sunggyu said. “It’s a shark field.”

“Alright, I’ll get you proxies.” Junhyung said. “But you owe me.”

“If that business gets done, I’ll treat you really well next time you’ll be in Korea.”

“We’ll discuss about how well later. I have to go now.” Junhyung said.

“Goodbye Junhyung. Work hard.” Sunggyu said before hanging up.

 

Sunggyu checked his reflexion on the mirror. Tonight was utterly important, not only for himself but also his relationship. Nothing was worse than gala meeting. He had seen too many respected businessmen getting carried away by the feisty atmosphere and thus ruining a professional deal. That’s why he needed to stay focus, despite Champagne and causalities. He had to win this round. He was so close to get Dongwoo, so close to get the one thing that will make the company kneel and let them officialise their now partially revealed relationship. If he won this, they will be able to be together. He closed his eyes and pictured Dongwoo and his bright smile.

“You can do this.” He told at his mirroring reflexion before entering the room.

“Ah ! Here he comes !” He heard his father say, already coming to him to lead him to his circle. “Gentlemen, this is my son and heir, Kim Sunggyu.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter