Chapter XIV

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got a shock this morning. I was like, waking up on my own like a happy blossoming flower. I stayed in bed for a while, scrolling on the net. Maybe two hours later, I realised I forgot we were Thursday and that I was supposed to publish Chapter 14, which I wasn't not done writing. Thankfully it was just the missing ending scene so it took me around 30~40 minutes non-stop to wrap it up. OMG, I was so shocked at myself. Like holly f**k, I forgot about Millennium ! I totally blame my upcoming finals though.

 

“Oh I almost forgot !” Sungyeol exclaimed. “Here, for you.” he gave the younger man the bouquet of flowers.

Hyuk took it graciously, happy with the simple gesture.

“Thank you.” he smiled brightly, his eyes sparkling. “You shouldn’t have.”

“It makes me feel less guilty.” Sungyeol said. “You don’t seem well Hyuk. You looked so much better the last time I saw you. What happened ?”

His expression darkened as he set the flowers aside, looking at Sungyeol.

“Same as always hyung. I had a relapse.” he said as if it was nothing, but Sungyeol knew him better. He knew what was behind the strong façade and the “don’t you worry” lies.

“I should have been here for you.” he took Hyuk’s hands on his carefully, as if manipulating fragile porcelain. “I shouldn’t have left you alone in there, with them.”

“You had to go hyung.” Hyuk said, squeezing his hand. “You had to leave or it would have killed you.”

A moment of silence passed, but neither of them was bothered by it, both reminiscing the old days.

“You know…” Hyuk started weakly, “I heard you blame him for throwing you out… I heard you were hurt by it…”

Sungyeol looked at him, not understanding why Hyuk looked so ashamed suddenly.

“I was the one who told him to let you go.” Hyuk confessed, eyes teary. “I begged him to look past his selfishness and let you leave. I thought it was what you wanted… I thought it would make you happy… But then…” he started shaking as tears rolled down his cheeks. “Ravi hyung said you blamed him for throwing you out. He said you were so hurt because you believed he just used you but… I am the reason why he did… I am the reason why you were left alone with nothing…”

Hyuk hid his face behind his hands, sobs shaking his fragile body. Instinctively, Sungyeol pulled him in his embrace, rocking him slightly like a child, patting his back comfortingly.

“It’s okay.” Sungyeol whispered. “You were right Hyuk. I couldn’t be happy in this place. You didn’t asked Leo to act the way he did back then. Your intentions were pure and honest. Don’t you ever blame yourself for what he has done. If I managed to survive those years, it was because you were by my side. You saved me twice, Hyukie. First by standing by my side, second by making him let me go. I will be forever grateful. Now shush, don’t cry.” Sungyeol said, his voice trembling.

They both of them cried, holding each other for dear life. Sungyeol always hated to cry, because it made him feel weak. But it was different with Hyuk. He knew the other understood. In a way no one, not even Sunggyu, could understand.

“I missed you.” Sungyeol said as he leaned back, his hair softly. “My baby brother.”

Even though they didn’t share blood, Sungyeol considered Hyuk his brother more than his own related sibling. Genetics don’t command the heart, after all.

“I missed you too.” Hyuk said as Sungyeol wiped his tears. “I only hope it would have been in other circumstances…”

Sungyeol’s jaw tightened.

“You know.” he realized.

“Everyone does.” Hyuk said after a short nod. “Not everyone is happy about it.”

“Yeah, I guess Ken isn’t thrilled.” Sungyeol said, a shiver running down his spine at the thought of the man.

“Don’t worry about him. He can’t do anything to you. Leo would kill him.” Hyuk said.

Sungyeol couldn’t even laugh. He knew it was meant literally. Hyuk too was aware of his own words, because after looking around, even if they were alone in the room, he lowered his voice and leaned toward him when he spoke again.

“Sungyeol hyung, I think you should leave before Leo hyung gets out. Leave the country, go far from here, and don’t come back. You won’t be happy and I don’t think I can handle seeing you at his mercy ever again. I’m afraid… I’m afraid it kills you.”

In not even two days, two of the people he cherished the most gave him the same advice. Leave. But Sungyeol didn’t wanted to spend his life running away, always looking over his shoulder.

“I don’t want to run away.” Sungyeol stated firmly. “Whatever happens, I will face it.”

“Are you sure you can handle it ?” Hyuk asked in concern, worried for him.

“I am.” Sungyeol said.

I must

 

Suddenly the door opened and the two men broke their embrace and their eyes went to the door. In the doorway was a tall man with strong features and an unreadable expression. He closed the door behind him and walked toward the bed, his eyes scanning Sungyeol before moving to the other side of the bed.

“Hongbin.” Hyuk said softly, extending his arm to reach him.

 The said man took it, pressing a tender kiss on his knuckles before sitting on the edge of the bed.

“I talked to the doctor. He decided to keep you under observation for now.” he said, his thumb gently the top of Hyuk’s hand.

“What about you ?” Hyuk said, his eyes clouded with uncertainty.

Sungyeol knew immediately he was worried about Hongbin being called away for some filthy mission.

“They know my place is by your side. They’ll manage without me.” he said, intertwining their fingers together.

Sungyeol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter