Chapter I

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I know I should update/finish my EXO fanfics, but I hardly manage to get inspired by them after everything. Infinite is my new muse. I have been writing and working on that story since last August and I thought it was about time I dared to publish it. I was nervous because it's my very first time writing about Infinite and that story is very close to my heart so... I sincerely hope you will like it. If things go well, you guys should have weekly updates every Thurdays, which is 100% sure since I already wrote the first chapters. Of course, if you guys show your interest and keep encouraging me, I might give you a double update here and then. Love you guys !

 

The kitchen boasted with energy as they went through the rush hours of dinner. Woohyun was all over the place, checking on the plates before they left the kitchen and controlling the work of his commis chef and workers. Woohyun was the Chef of the Seoul Millennium Palace since two years. The five-star palace renowned worldwide had spotted him when he worked as a commis chef in a starred Michelin restaurant in Paris and offered his this dream job. It was a golden opportunity for Woohyun, one he accepted right away. He got back to his homeland and got a Chef position in one of the best restaurants in the country. It was up to him to keep it that way. But he did better. A year after he took the position, he got praised by gastronomic critics and was even offered a place in the most popular cooking show of the country. He declined it because his joy was cooking for people, not medias. So there he was, doing was he enjoyed the most, thrilled by the adrenaline the rush gave him.

“Chef !” A waiter shouted at the door since he refused that anyone stepped in the kitchen without a proper kitchen uniform –pure measure of hygiene– “The director is at the reception desk. He asks for you.”

“Can’t you tell we’re in full rush !” he shouted back since they were far apart –the kitchen was big– “I’m not available for anyone, not even my own mother !” his voice beamed. “Here, give me that ! You’re too slow !” he told an apprentice, scolding but not mean, taking knife and onion away from her. “You have to cut it like this.” He explained, chopping a whole onion in less than ten seconds to show her. “Here, try.” He gave the things back and moved to check on the commis chef who was doing the sauce béarnaise.

 Woohyun took a spoon to taste the sauce, letting his tongue roll on his palate to get the taste.

“You put too much tarragon in it, it’s too strong on the palate. Throw this away, I’m doing the béarnaise and you better watch me.” He said.

“Yes Chef.” The man answered obediently.

“Chef, we need you with the Chateaubriand !” a commis yelled.

“I’m coming ! Get the ingredients for the béarnaise and prepare the utensils so everything’s ready when I get back.” He asked the commis before getting to the other.

 

At the reception desk, Sunggyu was fuming. How dare that smug prick call himself his best friend when he did not show up when needed ?

“I’m sorry daepyonim.” The pretty receptionist told him. “Would you like to dine here while waiting ? If not, you can of course stay at our bar and enjoy a drink until rush hour passes. I’ll make sure the Chef is able to see you.” She promised with a smile to diminish his anger.

Sunggyu was sure as hell the poor girl was scared to be fired. He was the director of this hotel after all, since Millennium Corporation belonged to his family. But even mad, Sunggyu was a fair man, so he told the girl he’ll be at the bar, waiting for his good-for-nothing best friend who forgot that Sunggyu was also his boss.

“Sungyeol-ah, give me your best bourbon please. Make it dry.” Sunggyu asked the bartender as he sat at the bar.

“Long day hyung ?” Sungyeol asked, pouring his drink as ordered.

“You can say that.” Sunggyu nodded. “Thank you.” He said at the man who handed him his drink.

“Anything for you, boss.” Sungyeol grinned. “The drink is free of course, but I expect my tip.”

Sunggyu laughed. Sungyeol was one of the rare that can make him laugh despite everything.

“As if I did not paid you enough as it is.” He rolled his eyes at the younger.

“Well, now that you mention it, a raise of my salary would be great. Myungsoo and I are planning to move in together.”

“Well, first, congratulations. I still don’t understand what got Kim Myungsoo aka L, a famous millionaire photographer to love you since you guys have pretty much nothing in common, but I wish the best for you. Second, about a raise of your salary… I’m sure the all mighty L just has to sell one of his picture to get you an apartment.”

“That’s the thing hyung.” Sungyeol said, leaning on the counter so they could talk. “I told him I would not move in with him if I couldn’t participate financially to buy something for us. I don’t want to rely on his money. People around him are already saying that I’m with him for his money. I don’t want to give them an opportunity to badmouth more.”

Sunggyu looked at the sour expression of his usually happy-go-lucky friend and felt his heart ache. He may make fun of his friends sometimes, but he sincerely treasured them.

“Sungyeol-ah, how much do you need ?”

“The apartment he wants to buy is pretty expensive. I think it’s around two millions dollars.”

“Wow ! That’s quite a sum, undeniably.” Sunggyu said.

Weirdly, even if the young man came from a billionaire family, he always had the value of money. His grandparents and parents made sure to teach him that. Money is hard to get and easy to lose, his grandfather always told him. You have to do whatever you can to help people who are not as lucky as you because it’s only fair to give something back when you receive so much.

“Sungyeol-ah, how much do you want to invest for it ?” Sunggyu asked.

“I was thinking of giving 1/4 of the price, but apart from selling my organs or my body, I don’t know how to get that money.” Sungyeol said sadly. “Myungsoo said it’s fine, that he can pay for anything I need because all he wants is us being together, but I don’t want to burden him. And more so, I don’t want people to say I’m using him.”

“So, if I can calculate right, you need five hundred thousand dollars.” Sunggyu said with accuracy.

“I went to my bank, to see if I could get a loan. They refused. Even if my monthly income is pretty good, it’s not enough to secure a loan they said. My banker told me to my face that I would have a better chance if I was married.” Sungyeol said, sounding scandalised.

“Too bad you’re gay.” Sunggyu pointed out.

“I could always ask Myungsoo, but it’s not legal in Korea so…” Sungyeol deplored.

“Sungyeol-ah… Do you think of marrying him ? I mean, isn’t it too soon ? You met him barely eight months ago !” Sunggyu frowned.

“I know hyung, I know… It’s seems crazy and all, but with him… I feel like I’ve known him my entire life. Sometimes you don’t need to spend a lot of time together to realise that you’re made for each other.”

“Lee Sungyeol ! Marriage is a very important matter, and you’re not in a romantic movie.” Sunggyu feigned to scold him.

“What about you hyung ? When will you pop the question ?” Sungyeol asked casually, wiping a glass with a dish towel.

“On our next anniversary, if I have the guts.” Sunggyu answered, and Sungyeol was so surprised he dropped the glass which broke into pieces on the ground.

“Seriously ?” the bartender asked, eyes wide with surprise.

“Well, it’s going to be six years we are together, so… I felt it was the right time to “pop the question” like you said.”

“Oh my gosh, hyung ! Congrats ! I’m so happy for you !” Sungyeol said, leaning over the counter to hug the man.

“Sungyeol-ah, I think you should wait before congratulating me.” Sunggyu rubbed his shoulder in a friendly manner.

“Pfff… As if Dongwoo hyung would say no to you, silly.” He snorted, rolling his eyes.

“Well, have you forgotten that he is an idol ?” Sunggyu reminded with a soft but sad smile. “Even if he does want to marry me, there is so much things to face… His company, the fans, the world… I don’t want to put him in a difficult position. I don’t want him to think he has to choose between me and his dreams. He is so successful right now. I can’t take it away from him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter