Chapter X

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Here it is. Chapter 10 ! Gosh, I can't believe it's been ten weeks already ! WOW ! During those ten weeks, a lot of things happened. I got to know you, and even made friends. I am so glad to be in such a nice and warm fandom. Inspirits were so nice and welcoming to me, despite this being my first fanfic about Infinite. You gave me the confidence to write other things about as well. So thanks a lot ! After such warm words, I will let you face the harsh reality of this chapter. Please don't hate me after this !

 

Sunggyu couldn’t believe how he got into this. He only “broke up” with Dongwoo to plan their happy ending. Yes, he lied to everyone around him to make it believable. He still couldn’t figure how in the world things escalated to this as he entered in this cosy café for a set-up blind date. When his parents nagged him about getting married, he always ignored them before. They always tried to set him up with some respectable women, read from wealthy acquaintances. He never went to any rendezvous. He loved his boyfriend, thank you very much, and when his parents were too insistent, he said he already had someone. But now, he had been obligated to accept one meeting.

First, his mother was a very tenacious person and she won’t leave him alone. But what he was scared of is that if he kept avoiding his mother, his father will step in, and that would be the worst. Second reason was that Woohyun being from the same circle as him, he would know if Sunggyu once again refused a blind date, and sharp as he was, he would put two and two together soon enough and understand they had been fooled, putting in danger all his plans. So Sunggyu was determined make this end it as soon as possible and say he didn’t like the girl so he could have peace. No matter how perfect her mother would describe her, he had no room in his heart. It already belonged to someone else.

Sunggyu looked around the café he just entered and noticed a woman sitting alone, focused on reading a book. The young CEO noticed no one that would fit the description was around so he deducted it must be her. He cursed himself for refusing to see her picture because it would be embarrassing to approach someone else. He nervously smoothed his vest and walked to the table.

“Lee Haeri-shi ?” he asked.

The woman raised her head toward him, looking caught off guard before a smile flourished on her face.

“You must be Kim Sunggyu-shi.” She said, her singing voice soft and agreeable as she put her book aside. “I was expecting you.”

Sunggyu smiled back out of politeness and sat in front of her.

“What were you reading to be so focused ?” he asked to start the conversation.

“Lee Jung-ha’s anthology Through You Dazzle, I Am Drenched in Tears.” She answered, showing him the cover.

“I must admit I’m impressed.” Sunggyu conceded, inclining his head on her direction.

“Why ? Because you thought spoiled daddy’s girls were self-centred and brainless ?” she joked.

“Well, most of them are.” He defended his point of view. “At least the ones I met.”

“Well, I can assure you something. You never met one like me, Kim Sunggyu-shi.” She smiled teasingly before waving the waiter, leaving Sunggyu speechless.

The person who planned to make the quickest escape possible seemed to forget his resolution. To be fair, Haeri was a smart, had a solid sense of humour and a remarkable way with words. Basically, she had the gift of the gab. She had been studying fashion at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London. Back in Korea, she founded her own fashion brand, Neige, and had now stores nationwide. She had planned to go worldwide soon and she was currently discussing with one of her former schoolmate, now a stylist in London, to seek for an opening.

Sunggyu was genuinely impressed by the young business woman and started to talk at her request about his own job. Truthfully, they were shockingly similar. Both driven by a work they exercised passionately, they found themselves many common traits and similar tastes. And a meeting that should have last enough to escape ended up lasting hours, both too caught up in their conversation to notice the time was flying. Sunggyu was bought back to reality only by the sound of his phone ringing.

“Sorry about that.” He apologized, checking the ID. “It’s work, I have to answer.” He said, standing up to go outside where he picked up the phone.

“Yobuseyo ?”

“Depyonim, are you alright ?” he heard his secretary ask in worry.

“I am fine Soojung-ah. What’s going on ? Is there a problem at the hotel ?”

“Not at all depyonim. I was just getting worried. You said you will be back at five at most to review some points of the contract with Mr. Smith and since I didn’t saw you coming and this is not like you to be late without notice, I thought something might have happened. I am relieved to know you’re ok.”

“Oh right, I completely forgot. I’m sorry Soojung-ah.” He apologized to his secretary. “I was caught up by this blind date…”

“You had a blind date during our office hours ?” the secretary exclaimed, astonished. “Who are you and what have you done to my always professional, workaholic boss ?”

 Sunggyu chuckled at that.

“It’s still me, Soojung-ah. I just went because my mother kept nagging me. I planned to make a quick escape, taking work as an excuse but somehow I ended up staying.”

“I wonder how she is, to make you forget about coming back to work.” Soojung said, recovering from her shock. “Well, I’m sorry to have disturb your date. I’ll leave the hotel now that I’m assured you haven’t gotten yourself into an accident or something. Good night depyonim. See you tomorrow.”

“Good night Soojung-ah. And thank you.” He said before hanging up.

Sunggyu looked at the screen at noticed it was ten past six in the evening. He had been here for two hours already. This observation shocked him since he really didn’t felt time going by. He tried to recall the last time this happened, getting into a coffee shop and seeing with stupor the night falling as he was there for hours without noticing. Then, it struck him almost violently. The last time was around five years ago, when he could date with Dongwoo. A time when they could meet and talk for hours without schedule pressure or the fear of getting caught.

Sunggyu shook his head to get rid of those bittersweet memories and got back inside where Haeri was waiting.

“It’s getting late. I should head back to the hotel, I have some things to review before calling it a day. Do you need me to drop you off somewhere ?”

“It’s ok.” She smiled as she stood up. “I came with my car, but thank you. It's the thought that counts.”

At the cashier, they had a childish argument. As the gentleman he was, Sunggyu wanted to pay for their drinks. As the feminist she was, she couldn’t stand the thought of being maintained by a man. The cashier, smiling at what he saw as a lovely couple, proposed that the man paid this time and that the miss will pay another day. It closed the argument and they left soon after.

“You promised !” Haeri evoked. “Next time will be on me Sunggyu-shi. The cashier is a witness.”

“Actually Haeri-shi…” Sunggyu stared, getting embarrassed.

The woman turned fully to face him, two big candid eyes staring at him.

“Hum… My situation is complicated.” Sunggyu started. “I broke up with my lover not long ago and I don’t think I’m ready for anything else right now.”

“Oh…” she said, sounding genuinely surprised.

“I want you to know that it’s not about you. It’s me… I… We had been together for six years and the past few weeks since we broke up were very painful to me so… I don’t want you to build false hope for nothing. You seem like a nice person and I really enjoyed talking with you, but that’s it.”

“I understand.” She gave him a sympathetic smile before looking into her purse for something. “Here.” She handed him her business card.

“Haeri-shi…” Sunggyu started but was cut.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter