Chapter XXVI

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am so sorry for publishing so late ! I don't know if it's bad luck or if the universe is against me, but it's been two weeks I find myself unable to update on the usual Thursday. The worst thing is that the chapters are already written (I took some advance up till chapter 27) but something always happen and I can't update. Sorry ! I hope you'll enjoy it though.

 

The sudden departure of Kim Sunggyu on his own engagement party did not go unnoticed. People started whispering among themselves, especially because not only the young businessman left, but he was followed suit by none other than Nam Woohyun, the youngest son of the Nam Group.

Woohyun’s father cleared his throat, utterly uncomfortable by the situation. He glanced over his wife, mutely asking explications, but she could only shake her head, not understanding what happened. At the Kims’ table, Millennium’s CEO was as much embarrassed.

“Yeobo, you must make a statement.” His wife pressed him in a hushed tone. “We have to hold our head high no matter what.”

The man nodded, agreeing to her words, before standing up. He had the disagreeable feeling of everyone eyes scrutinizing his movements as he went up the little stage dressed in the room. He went behind the mike and tapped it to see if it was working.

“Dear family and friends, I would like to personally thank you to share with us that unique moment. This day is very special to me, as my only son is about to contract the biggest deal of his life : getting married.”

A few laughs followed the joke.

“I know most of you must wonder why he left so suddenly. Let me tell you : even if this day is a precious one, it doesn’t change a person’s nature. That’s entirely my fault, I must admit. I did not raise my son like any father would raise a boy. I raised my son to be my heir, my appointed successor for Millennium, which is for us as meaningful as family. As most of you already know, my son is not only making me happy with getting married and about to start a family, but he also realized one of his father’s oldest dreams : get Millennium an opening in the United States. As a matter of fact, before the next football world cup, Millennium hotel branch would be the first Asian group to open a hotel in New York. That is all my son’s work, and my pride is to be this man’s father. That’s why I have no doubt that his early departure only concerns an important matter, and undoubtedly, something that will make me even prouder. Thank you for your attention and I wish you all to enjoy your evening.”

The CEO left the stage under the applause of all the guests, touched by the story. As he regained his table, his wife pressed his shoulder, an approving look in her eyes.

“How was I ?” he inquired, like an actor would about his performance.

“Very good.” She praised.

“You sure ? It wasn’t too much ?”

“No, you were perfect.” She assured him.

He gave her a nod before sighing deeply.

“Now that we avoided a catastrophe, find out where your foolish son went.” He told her.

“I think I already know.” Sunghee, who had listened to their exchange, told them, brandishing her phone.

Articles kept popping up as the search was ranked on the firsts among Naver. Sunghee’s phone displayed one of the newest updates on a TV news channel. The title itself was clear as the journalist was relaying the news.

Impressive car accident in the heart of Seoul. One of the drivers’ confirmed to be idol Jang Dongwoo. His state still unknown. Woollim entertainment yet to give a statement.

It was around six thirty in the evening that Min Shin Hyeok, salaryman, was driving home from work and found himself witness of a terrible car accident.

[The journalist is now seeing interviewing a man with a blurred face.]

“I was waiting at the crossroad when it happened. The car arrived from the right, very fast I guess. The trunk couldn’t stop before it was too late. The car was thrown at the over edge of the crossroad, next to my car. For a second I thought it would lend on my car but it was stopped by the sidewalk.”

The driver of the trunk, who we’ll call Mister X for confidentiality reasons, was still conscious after the accident.

“I saw him get out of his trunk. He was bleeding from his forehead. The paramedics came quickly and took charge of him.” Min Shin Hyeok said.

When we asked him about the idol, Mister Min hesitate.

“I couldn’t see that well. I got out of my car, and I saw the paramedics trying to get the driver out of the SUV. The police blocked the road and told us to stay put because they needed to take our statements. I remembered someone screaming as the paramedics pulled him on a stretcher. He looked unconscious, he had a cervical collar around his neck and there was blood everywhere. The police made a way for the ambulance to go to the nearest hospital and two police cars escorted them, one upfront and one behind.”

Quickly alerted by the social medias, the agency of the artist is yet to make a statement, meanwhile their PR agency is cleaning the net from shocking photos some witnesses took of the idol before he was rushed to Samsung hospital. As we speak, hundreds of fans are gathering in front of Samsung Hospital, a candle in hand, as a silent prayer for the famous idol’s sake. Reporting to you from the accident scene, SBC News, Lee Ye Min himnida.”

At the end of the news report, husband and wife shared a look reflecting a mutual wish, and Sunghee felt a shiver running down her spine as she understood the meaning of it.

 

“Drive carefully !” Woohyun shouted at him in the car. “You won’t be helpful to Dongwoo if you get into a car accident yourself !”

Twenty minutes later, they eventually arrived safe and sound at their destination, which Woohyun considered as a miracle seeing how carelessly Sunggyu had been driving. When they got into the hospital hall, they heard someone calling for them. It was Sungjong. The younger looked like a mess, eyes red and puffy from all the tears he shed.

“Hyung !” he jumped on Sunggyu, hugging him tight.

That reaction was unexpected and both Sunggyu and Woohyun were surprised. Sungjong had been cold with him since he broke all ties with Dongwoo.

“I knew you loved him still !” he exclaimed, looking in his eyes. “I knew it !”

Sunggyu looked at the phone in Sungjong’s hands and he quickly put two and two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter