Chapter XXII

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Still no internet in my new place so I take advantage of a week-end at my dad's to upload what should've been posted yesterday. Also, I'm travelling around due to my job so sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoy !

 

Sunggyu looked at his reflection in his car’s rear view as he fixed his tie around his neck, thinking bitterly he’d rather hang a rope around his neck rather than this. Tonight, he was supposed to meet his supposed future in-laws and current fiancée over dinner. Just the thought made him sick. But his father had been clear with keeping up appearances. The Lee family didn’t know about Sunggyu’s “troubled past” as he phrased it and he needed to maintain the image of perfection he was supposed to be. Sunggyu just wanted to scream and run away but he had to keep his mouth shut and obey. He had to keep himself under the radar of his father for now, for he couldn’t handle anymore threats on the hotel branch.

His sister won’t even be there to comfort him. She’s been so disgusted with their parents’ scheme she said she won’t have any part in it. She refused to come to the dinner, and she especially insisted she won’t welcome to the family someone who will make her brother miserable. Their parents’ weren’t pleased, but since she was stuck in a loveless marriage they arranged for her to have the grandchild they wanted, she was pretty much exonerated for life.

The restaurant they were meeting was supposed to be Millennium’s hotel, but Sunggyu categorically refused. He couldn’t bear to have Woohyun or worse, Sungjong, being a witness of this act. He didn’t announce it to Dongwoo yet, as he was still searching for an escape. He couldn’t tell Dongwoo until he found a way to get out of this mire. He wouldn’t bear to hurt him. So here he was, parked in the underground parking of a luxurious building, the restaurant on the last floor, flying high in the sky. Yet, he was unable to leave his car. Sunggyu felt that going up there would make everything real and official. The thought of being with someone else than Dongwoo made him sick.

For the first time since he met him, thinking of Dongwoo made his heart ache. He thought about his blinding smile, his unconditional love, his unwavering trust, the sweetness of his gaze upon him... Sunggyu knew deep inside he’ll never be able to live without him. But unless he found a way out of this arranged marriage, he knew would lose him. Dongwoo will never accept to be the other one, the lover kept in the shadows, no matter how much he loved him. He was too righteous to stand between a married couple, even if said marriage was a scam.

I’ll find a way, he told himself resolutely. I have to.

When he stepped out of the elevator, he immediately saw them. His parents talking to another couple, who Sunggyu guessed to be Haeri’s parents. Haeri herself was sitting in the lounge, apart from them. Sunggyu was still unsure of how to behave with her. He wondered if she’d been dragged against her will too or was a part of it. Strangely, she was the one who noticed him first. She stood up as she looked in his direction, calling his name. He gave her a nod of acknowledgement but didn’t talked. He intended to show, at least, his unwillingness to proceed with what was planned.

“Sunggyu-yah, come over here. Let me introduce you to your fiancée’s parents, mister and madam Lee.” His father said, taking him by the elbow to lead him to the couple. Sunggyu bowed for the form, but his face remained stern.

“It’s a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.” Mr. Lee said with a smile, the kind politicians gave to the people. “I heard daughter praise you a lot. I can’t wait to get to know you better.”

“That shall come indeed. We’ll all be family soon enough.” Sunggyu’s mother said with a smile.

Sunggyu felt like snapping back at her, saying he’ll never consider them family, but he clenched his jaw instead.

“Let’s proceed to dinner first. We’ll discuss further details later on.” Sunggyu’s father said.

Dinner was served in a private room on the back of the restaurant. Sunggyu should’ve guessed that as well, considering both families public position. No doubt his father planned on revealing the marriage of Millennium’s heir to the only daughter of the foreseen next president only when the time would be opportune for the Kims and the conglomerate.

“So, Sunggyu-shi… I read in the newspaper Millennium will soon inaugurate a hotel in New York.” Mrs. Lee said, trying to make conversation.

She was a petite woman, soft-spoken and kept on her husband’s shadow. Nothing like the strong-willed woman Sunggyu’s mother was.

“My greatest accomplishment.” He said, keeping a cold and disinterested front.

“It’s rather impressive for someone your age. Such a wonder, to see our children so accomplished so young, isn’t it ?”

“My dear, it’s only normal that our son is so accomplished. It’s not a matter of age, but education. We expect nothing less of Millennium’s heir.” His mother said, her overly sweet tone showing her disdain for the clueless woman.

“Your daughter must be a wonder as well then.” She said. “She is your eldest child, isn’t she ?”

Sunggyu could hear the implied why isn’t she here ? and closed his eyes for a second, letting out a tired sigh.

“She is indeed. A working woman and a wonderful mother as well. Our grandson takes after her in all things.”

Her mother was indeed the strongest in this battle of words, throwing at the woman’s face the fact that she had a grandchild and not her, and she will only get one through her son’s marriage to her daughter.

“I am sure our children will give us both adorable grandchildren.” Mrs. Lee said, making Sunggyu almost drop his glass of wine.

“We are not even married yet, aren’t you a little hasty ?” he said before he could control himself.

“Well, we’re not asking for a grandchild right away… But it would be great for you to be expecting one when the campaign for the presidential election starts. The people trust a man with a strong family rallying behind him.” Mr. Lee said.

Sunggyu was too dumbstruck to say anything back. They expect me to put a child into her ? In barely a year time ? Is this some kind of sick joke ?

Sunggyu searched the eyes of his mother and father, who bluntly ignored his distress.

“Son, you must know that further the family line is part of a marriage purpose right ?” his father said. “Surely you know how things work as well.”

Sunggyu was close to snap at this, but he felt a hand covering his painfully tight fist. Looking up, he realised it was his mother’s. She leaned toward him to whisper in his ear.

“Don’t worry ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter