Chapter XXXIII

Millennium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This chapter will be a relief for donggyu's fans ! A new character makes his entrance : the first one guessing who it is (group and name) will have a surprise gift ^^ Note : Starting from this chapter, this ∞ symbol will show the change of POV from one character to another. It fits INFINITE so let’s use it !

 

Dongwoo had fallen asleep after the doctor’s check-up. Howon had called their manager to tell him of the news and the man came later along with their producer. The doctor had asked Dongwoo’s mother to see him in his office so he could explain to her the medical protocol they would put in place to help Dongwoo’s recovery, and the sajanim went with them. In the mid time, Sunggyu, Sungjong and Howon waited in the hallway in front of Dongwoo’s closed door.

“Where is Woohyunie hyung ?” Sungjong asked suddenly, turning his head toward Howon who sat on his left.

“I don’t know.” Howon said tiredly. “Maybe he went home.”

“I’ll call him.” Sunggyu sighed, standing up from the seat right to Sungjong. “Do you want me to get you something on the way out ?” he asked his dongsaengs.

“Just coffee for me please.” Howon sighed, passing his hands over his face. “Black, no sugar.”

“Coffee would be nice. And maybe a sweet snack.” Sungjong added, more lively since the news of Dongwoo waking up.

“Arasso, I’ll be back soon.” Sunggyu agreed, walking away on the corridor before leaving the ICU.

Sunggyu blinked as he got out of the hospital, the natural brightness of dawn being a drastic change from the halogen lights of the hospital. After his eyes got used to the day light, he walked forward and hailed a cab, getting in the first one stopping beside him. He gave the driver his address and leaned his head against the window, caught in his thoughts.

To be honest, his mind was clearer now that he saw Dongwoo conscious and talked to him. In the span of a few hours, Sunggyu went from a devastated man whose life was holding on a thin shred of hope to his usual sharp, intelligent, in control self. In the hollow pit of despair he had been wallowing, he had lost his capacity to think, to do anything really, so consumed by the worry he felt for Dongwoo, love, his life. Now that Dongwoo woke up, being as normal and as much in love as Sunggyu remembered him, his worries, though not erased, were not weighing on his mind and judgement. And that was what he needed. He needed Dongwoo’s pure and forgiving heart and eyes filled to the brim with love and trust, looking at him like he was the greatest man in the universe for Sunggyu to find in himself a strength and resources he didn’t fathom.

When Sunggyu got home, the first thing he did was taking a long, hot shower. He pushed his hair back with both hands under the showerhead, rejoicing at the feeling of warm water all over him. The quick clean-ups in the hospital’s bathroom couldn’t come close. He let his muscles and libs relax under the pouring water for quite some time before washing himself. He checked the holder hanging in the corner of the wall and smiled fondly as Dongwoo’s lavender gel caught his eye. He took his own eucalyptus shower soap, thinking Dongwoo would probably take more comfort in Sunggyu’s familiar smell.

After getting rid of the hospital’s depressive smell, he walked out of the shower, wrapping a towel around his waist and using another to dry his upper body. He blow-dried his hair before standing in front of the sink, looking at his reflection in the mirror. He brushed his teeth, put some cream on his face and combed his silky hair with his hands until he was satisfied with the image he conveyed. He almost laughed for an instant, thinking he acted like he was having a date. Then, he remembered Dongwoo was in a hospital because of him and looking presentable to a man who never stopped loving him despite months of ignorance and silence was the least he could do.

He walked back to his bedroom and opened his large dressing, wondering which suit he should wear. He eventually chose a pair of dark blue tailored pants and matched navy blue blazer and shirt with gold polka-dot. The shirt’s the white collar contrasting nicely with the dark ensemble. The thought of putting perfume crossed his mind before he indulged it, using one Dongwoo had offered him on his last birthday, a foreign luxurious brand hit that smelled fresh and vivifying. He picked a long inky coat from another part of the dressing and put it on, smoothing the front with his hands. After combing his hair with his fingers for the umpteenth time, he checked his reflection from head to toe in the dressing’s mirror.

Satisfied with what he saw, he grabbed his wallet and phone from his previous jacket before leaving his bedroom in favor of the garage in the basement. On a rack fixed on the wall next to the light’s switch were a set of car keys. Sunggyu chose his favorite ride, a high class foreign car, and settled behind the wheel with ease. When he started to drive, the garage’s automatic door rose on its own and Sunggyu went on the road without a glance behind, knowing it would come down and close on its own just as well. He connected his phone to the wireless car system and made a call.

“Yobuseyo ?”

“Good morning Jonghyun-ah, it’s Sunggyu. I’m sorry to bother you this early but I need to see you urgently. Do you think you might be able to clear your schedule to offer me some time ?” Sunggyu said politely but firmly, the tone of a man in control who doesn’t take no for an answer.

“By your tone I guess it’s the lawyer you want to see.” Jonghyun growled, his sleep perturbed by his demanding college buddy. “When would you like to meet ?”

“I’d say in half an hour.” Sunggyu said as he checked the road, clear in the early hour. “If you don’t think you can be in your office by then, we can as well meet at the Marie Louise and talk about this matter over breakfast. My treat, of course.”

“I hate being your friend sometimes.” Jonghyun said over the phone, but Sunggyu knew he agreed nevertheless.

“Yeah I know. See you there.” Sunggyu said before hanging up the call.

 

The Marie Louise was a high class French restaurant which had a hand-picked clientele. Not anybody was accepted there, and by ricochet, being here meant you weren’t anybody. Having money wasn’t enough to get through the golden doors of the establishment. You had to be someone of importance to be accepted in the circle. Despite the early hour, the restaurant was open to his first faithful clients who came especially for the wonderful croissants, pastries and other delicacies. The butler recognized Sunggyu immediately and came to get his coat.

“Welcome back Mr. Kim.” The man said with an affable smile, helping Sunggyu out of his coat before folding it in two and hang it over his arm. “Do we have the pleasure of having your unique presence or are you accompanied ?”

“I’m expecting someone.” Sunggyu informed him.

“Very well then.” The man smiled. “Where would you like to seat ?”

“Somewhere quiet and discreet, overlooking the garden, if you may be so kind.”

The man nodded silently in agreement, used to picky, demanding customers, and led Sunggyu to a table apart from already seated customers. He looked at Sunggyu, a silent demand to see if this was at his convenience and the man nodded, pulling a chair to sit down. The butler went away with his coat, probably to hang it in their own dressing before returning to his place. As soon as he left, a waiter in costume came with a black leather covered menu and offered it to him. Sunggyu checked it briefly like a habitué knowing exactly what he’s going to order and handed it back to the waiter as he enumerated his order. Taking note of everything, the waiter bowed his head and said he’d be back soon. He went to give the order to the kitchen before coming back with a rolling tray. He served Sunggyu a cup of coffee in Sevres’ porcelain and freshly pressed orange juice —without pulp of course—  in a crystal stemmed glass. He also gave him a plate of different kinds of bread cut in slices, jams, butter and disposed it neatly in the table.

“Would you like today’s newspaper with your breakfast Mr. Kim ?” the waiter asked with professionalism after he finished placing everything in the table.

Sunggyu looked at his watch. Knowing Jonghyun, he had a least half an hour of waiting before the latter showed up. Despite being an excellent lawyer, his college friend wasn’t known to be a morning person unless it was a court day.

“I’ll take The Economist and The Wall Street Journal, if you may.” Sunggyu requested.

“Of course, Mr. Kim. Right away.” The waiter bowed his head before leaving.

Sunggyu had one journal set aside and the other spread in front of him as he read an article while drinking a sip of coffee, his poached eggs and salad dressing half eaten in the porcelain plate, the silver cutlery shining next to it. He was so focused in his reading he didn’t blink at the entrance of a customer. The butler went to greet him with the same awareness he used with Sunggyu and helped him out of his coat.

“You’re here early today Lawyer Lee. Are you going to court this morning ?” he chit-chat.

“Not at all. I’m here to meet a friend.” Jonghyun said, playing with the ivory silk scarf tied around his neck. “I see he’s already seated.” He realized as he noticed Sunggyu. “I’ll just go to him then.” he said with a smile to the butler, making him understand he was fine going on his own.

“My dear Sunggyu, waking me up at six in the morning on a Saturday… You could have had the decency to wait for me.” he said as he sat down, stealing his friend’s untouched glass of juice to drink a long sip. “Delicious.” He hummed in delight.

Sunggyu took a good look at him. Jonghyun hadn’t changed much since college. He was still that dark haired, refined and elegant young man with manners of another century, always ready to help a friend despite the hour or time.

“Thank you for coming so fast.” Sunggyu said gratefully.

“Don’t mention it.” Jonghyun said with a dismissive movement of the hand. “Knowing you, it must be important to call upon the lawyer and not the friend. So tell me, is this about your upcoming wedding ? As someone who wasn’t invited to your engagement party, I feel wronged, really.” Jonghyun faked sadness.

“I had no part in the planning, nor t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter