Act 17: Inner Circle

School

02d1c60ad85a058b3030a97551dbbf94de8b31dc_hq.gif

MOOD: The Truth Untold — BTS


 

The butler had his eyes widened as he noticed the person that was standing in front of it, in her school uniform and a soft smile. The flashbacks flooded his mind as he realized it has been years since her last visit here - and it wasn’t a good one either.

 

“Miss Soojung,” he greeted her warmly with a smile. “It’s been a while. What gives us the honor to have you here today?”

 

Soojung raised her hand, showing some notes to him, “My homeroom teacher assigned me to hand this to her. I know this is weird, but can I come in and see her by myself? That way I could tell my teacher that I handed those personally to her and she won’t make ruckus.”

 

“Ah.” The butler opened the door to let her in. “Sure Miss Soojung, please come in. Master and Mistress are away, Miss Sooji has returned to Paris few days ago and Master Sookang is out with friends, he usually gets home late. Miss Sooyoung has not come recently, so I think Miss Soobin feels lonely.” The butler then stepped off along with Soojung that was already familiar with the surroundings. There were few changes she noticed, but after all she almost went to this place every day just to give that Cheerleading Squad’s Captain company, for the truth she knew how lonely a soul could be.

 

They were walking and talking, the butler was careful enough not to ask about her injury, and they halted right in front of Soobin’s room, the room they used to hang out in. The butler definitely could sense her nervous state, so he tapped her shoulder to encourage her.

 

“Don’t worry. Although you’re not talking to each other, you were friends. It will be fine.” The butler then bowed and excused himself.

 

Jung Soojung did what she had to do, the only one thing Chae Soobin was so afraid to do, that was one among other reasons for their breakup; brace herself to knock on the door.

 

“I’m not hungry.” Soobin’s voice was heard, soft and weak.

 

Soojung cleared . “It’s Jung Soojung.” Soojung replied, a little nervous.

 

There was a rush, light quick steps before the door was barged open, showing a very, very pathetic-looking Chae Soobin, without any makeup on, staring in wide-eyed at her, of all expectant guests, Jung Soojung was at the bottom two along with the majestic Park Chanyeol. Some of her wondered whether she came because she heard the news about Sooyoung’s outburst, some other wondered she came because she was worried for Soobin. “What do you want?” she asked, voice harsh. Before Soojung could answer, she already added, “Huh. You must be happy, everyone hates me and I look like a mess. I lost everyone and you come to laugh at me, to tell me in person how miserable I am.”

 

Soojung squinted, knowing well that Soobin used it to defend herself, to keep her pride up high, untouched. But what baffled her now was that Soobin could think so lowly at her, after coming here in person, after all these years. She thought that she could slowly fix things up, give her a hand to stand up, but who was she kidding. Chae Soobin never looked at her as a friend. “Chae Soobin, can’t you just stop with the overthinking and thank me instead?” She pushed the notes on her chest and continued, “Park Seonsaengnim asked me to give you the notes because nobody wants to do it for you.” she said blatantly. “Have a slow recovery because heck..., I think everyone doesn’t need to hear your useless ing.” Soojung turned around and after few steps she stopped and turned, eyes flared in anger. “And why should I laugh at you? You are already pathetic enough, having none wanted to give the notes.”

 

“You know nothing!” Soobin stepped closer, trying to scare her off. What did she say, she was pathetic enough? How dare of her.

 

Soojung nodded calmly. “You’re right, I don’t. After all late nights and long talks, I still don’t know you Chae Soobin.” Soojung also stepped closer, leaned her head in to whisper at Soobin’s ear. “Which part of you that is actually real?”

 

With that she really turned her back, did not look over for once, just like what Soobin did when Soojung was desperate for a hand to hold.

Myungsoo was editing his pictures on computer when the phone beeped. He glanced and realized it was a call from one of Magazine’s crew. He might wonder about his duty, so he picked up the call.

 

As they discussed about the concepts, Myungsoo slowly came into a realization that he took too many candid pictures of Soojung earlier. His mouse stopped moving as he clicked on a certain picture, an old one, back when she was still far away, out of reach.

 

“Okay,” Myungsoo nodded to the phone. “I’ll send the fixed ones to your email tonight. Thanks bro.” He hung up and place the phone back, before he turned to his computer screen, slowly his fingers went up and touched the picture.

 

It was a picture of Jung Soojung, back when she was the flier, the one that stood at the top of pyramid, was smiling proudly as she succeeded another stunt, the picture was taken only few seconds before the accident happened.

 

He remembered the exact day when she decided to come after the accident. Everyone was talking, whispering, wondering about what she would do after this. Jung Sooojung halted when she saw Soobin, and how Soobin turned her back against her and walked away, forcing Sooyoung that seemingly wanted to reach for her, to go on and ignore her presence. It was still clear in his mind of what Soobin had said to her, in hushed tone, but enough for him to hear as they passed by. “... She is no longer one of us. Get used to it.”

 

He remembered Park Chanyeol, the lonesome soul, went closer to her and nudged her, with a grin that was rarely seen and then showed the person was standing behind him; the very cheerful Byun Baekhyun, also had the same grin and they laughed about something he said. Chanyeol rolled his eyes but Soojung’s cheeks were tinted, brighter than then she first stepped in. Just like her, Park Chanyeol also has returned after two weeks of missing-in-action. Rumors has it, he was insane because of her sister’s recent death.

 

He remembered few days after, Jung Soojung, School’s Ice Princess, went into their club room and surprised everyone. She mumbled under her breath, asking him whether school’s magazine still needed a hand to help for articles or pictures, although it was just a whisper, he still could hear them, “I don’t have anything to do.” - as he realized that she already has quit cheerleading squad.

 

He remembered asking Jung Soojung why she joined school’s magazine, when there were better options; she could sing, so she could join Choir, she could paint, so she could join Art Club, or theater, because she once acted as Han Ji Eun for school’s play, long time ago, when they were walking to bus shelter. She stopped midway, turned her head and placed both hands behind her back. “You saved my life Kim Myungsoo.” she replied with a thankful grin. “You saved me and I am forever thankful to you. Although it sounds silly, but I know it takes lifetime to pay my gratitude. So tell me whatever you want Myungsoo, I will try my best to make it happen.”

 

Kim Myungsoo almost, almost slipped out and told her that he could save her in the speed of light because he has been watching her from afar. Kim Myungsoo almost, almost slipped out and asked whether it included a possibility to be his girlfriend. But then again, wouldn’t it sound pathetic; ask someone out to pay their gratitude?

Soobin slammed the door close, so furious for what Soojung said to her face earlier. She threw the notes down, and screamed out loud, possibly not give a damn for everyone to hear. Who would hear anyway? Everyone left her. Everyone.

 

Soobin stopped in front of the mirror that reflected on how she looked right now; pathetic. Her long hair was messy, her eye-bags were hideous, her eyes were swollen for crying too much, her outfit was crumpled. She was pathetic, no wonder nobody wanted to hand the notes for her, no wonder Sooyoung was so mad at her, no wonder Soojung was forced to come. She was pathetic, ing stupid of her.

 

Pathetic, a voice heard and Soobin was stunned. What do you expect? You killed people, you used people, you don’t trust people. What do you expect?

 

“Stop.” Soobin shook her head, covered her ears to block the noises, eyes were staring at the reflection.

 

Chanyeol dumped you. Jisoo distanced himself from you. Soojung hated you. Sooyoung had enough of you. Wow Chae Soobin, what a life you have! How to have one like yours?

 

“Stop. Stop laughing at me!” Soobin stepped closer. “STOP. STOP. STOP LAUGHING AT ME!!!”

 

Even Jung Soojung couldn’t tell the real you, Chae Soobin. What a life. Haha. What a life.

 

Soobin smashed the mirror with her hand, hit the mirror into pieces, screamed the same stop to make the voices stop, not knowing that along with small pieces of glasses, there were blood stains. Soobin was still crushing, until the butler and some maids barged in with spare key they had just in case, for things like this.

 

They widened their eyes, surprised to see amount of blood stains, while the butler was hurry to catch her hand. “Miss Soobin! What are you doing?!” He then turned to the maids and shouted, “Call 119! NOW.”

 

Soobin was still trying to flee, so some other maids helped the butler tried to stop her. “She laughed at me! She laughed at me! The reflection in the mirror laughed at me!” Soobin was screaming, crying like a lunatic. “Stop them! Stop the voices! STOP THEM.”

 

“Miss Soobin..., please. Please Miss Soobin...” The butler did not know that her eyes were wet already, not knowing that he was crying until the maids nudged him.

 

Working for the family for more than three decades made him understand a lot of things. Unlike Sookang that screamed or Sooji that cried to show their emotions, he knew Soobin kept them hidden, and one day, like a volcano it would explode and ruin everything near her. Unlike Sookang and Sooji that could freely do whatever they wanted, Soobin was lived to exceed expectations. The butler did not say anything and just held her tighter.

Chanyeol was laying on the bed and looking up at the ceiling, decorated with stars that would lit up when the light were dimmed, looking thoughtful, as if he got a lot in his mind. The room once belonged to Yura, and since Park Chanyeol was a sentimental er that didn’t want to get rid of his late sister’s traces, so he just let things left the way they used to be.

 

Baekhyun was doing things with his laptop on his study desk, humming to some random songs he played on playlist he kindly made for Chanyeol, included Taeyeon’s songs.

 

“Yah Chanyeol, do you know that woman is the prettiest when she smiles and camera captures her candidly?” Baekhyun asked randomly, as he now hummed to U R. He downloaded few pictures of beautiful Taeyeon at the airport, looking fresh with her new haircut.

 

“Yah, yah, stop saving Taeyeon’s pictures in my laptop. If someone sees, they might think I’m the hardcore fan. And seriously Baek, wasn’t this pose of hers downloaded already?” Chanyeol looked hopeless when Baekhyun started his speech with Taeyeon looked good from every angle so I need to have every of it and continued, “Even that nosy Class President once overheard the songs I listened to and teased me for being a Girls’ Generation’s fan.” Chanyeol stood up and tried to stop Baekhyun but the shorter groaned and pushed him away.

 

Chanyeol just sighed in response while Baekhyun smiled in triumph, knowing well that the taller threatened for nothing. “Oh talking about Class President…, how was Eunji? I talked to Jiae today and she told me that Eunji would be discharged tomorrow.”

 

Chanyeol already laid on the bed and replied, “She’s fine, already jumping and eating sweets too much. I shouldn’t get her the donuts…” he trailed off as Chanyeol noticed Baekhyun was already turning his chair to see his best friend, knowing that he just got caught off-guard.

 

“HAH.” Baekhyun exclaimed. “I knew it already. Yah Park Chanyeol answer me honestly,” Baekhyun pushed his swivel chair closer to the bed and his eyebrows wriggled, so ing disturbing, “You’re whipped right, with her I mean. You like her?”

 

With his pair of long legs, Chanyeol pushed the chair away. “Stop saying trash, you .” He tried to play it cool but Baekhyun has known him for ages and of course he has known his faces too well.

 

Baekhyun instead smirked, looking one hundred percent pleased. “I was just joking when you asked me about the donuts and you really bought them for her. Park, this is ing progress.”

 

Park Chanyeol scoffed. No, of course not. He has adored Chae Soobin since forever, the longest time ever in his life. It wouldn’t be right for him to what…, like Eunji? Even the word like itself he found very infuriating. Furthermore, she was nothing alike to his ideal type. He wanted someone like his sister; cheerful, loud, easy-going, I mean Eunji’s smile is not that bad… Okay, what the heck just crossed his mind?

 

“.” Park Chanyeol grunted and covered his face with the pillow and heard Baekhyun’s laugh boomed in the room.

 

But the laugh lasted for a moment, until Chanyeol sat up and gazed at Baekhyun with his reddened cheeks, feeling content for laughing out loud at him. Park Chanyeol just really wanted to wipe the happiness on his face but he didn’t know how.

 

“Baek,” Chanyeol called for his nickname and again Baekhyun hummed. “Why the did you give me peonies when we visited Eunji the first time? Do you know what she said to me just now because of those damn peonies? She bothered to search for the meaning and cornered me with the fact that peonies are for strangers in love. She even went crazy and asked whether I like her or not.” Chanyeol threw a pillow to Baekhyun’s direction which the shorter caught so easily.

 

“Whoa she did?!” Baekhyun sounded so amused and broke into another fit of laugher. There was so much happiness in this kid, really. “I mean, isn’t that how you feel about her? You like her.” Chanyeol shook his head hard in refusal. “Well then, at least you’re infuriated with her. Yeol have you noticed? You never give a damn to things like this, you find people like me, like her distressing and unfavorable. So of course I noticed when you became so weird with her, weird I mean in the good way okay.”

 

Chanyeol made a face and Baekhyun sincerely smiled, he raised his hand and it on Chanyeol’s thick, jet black hair.

 

“Aigoo my Chanyeol is so cute, growing up so well. Yura-noona has to be so proud with this emotionless robot. I did so great nursing this punk.” Baekhyun giggled and Chanyeol just snorted at his attempt on being the older one like he really was supposed to be.

 

“So you know flowers languages.” Chanyeol guessed and saw Baekhyun’s gesture he continued, “Do you know roses meanings as well?”

 

It took a second for Baekhyun to think. “I mean I know some, not in every color, but I guess I could define some; like red ones are for sincere, deep love. You give those when you’re serious about a person, a partner. It’s romantic. Or yellow ones are for friendship mostly, um pink ones are for—” Baekhyun was cut off with a question.

 

“—what do lavender ones mean?” he asked, remembered the fresh lavender roses he saw earlier in Eunji’s room, being gently placed inside a vase full of water.

 

“Well…, if I’m not wrong, it means love at the first sight. A love that is started on the very first meeting,” Baekhyun crossed his arms against his chest. “I mean…, is it possible, to someone falls in love that quick? Don’t we need to get to know each other and stuffs, making sure that…” he paused as he noticed Chanyeol’s troubled look.

 

Was it possible for someone picking lavender roses randomly? Of all flowers, that person had to pick and send those to a very nosy person that would find out even for the smallest things.

 

Baekhyun finally came to an understanding of Chanyeol’s look and whistled. “The First of Hundred thinks his road to her heart is as easy as writing essays, turns out he has a secret rival. We should get updates soon. XOXO, Gossip Guy.”

Kyungsoo was reviewing proposal with pen on his hand as Yoongi stepped into his bedroom, wearing this stupid smile that Kyungsoo really wanted to wipe off now. He raised a brow as this stupid soccer captain climbed on his bed and giggled. This stupid er just ing giggled, GIGGLED. What the hell happened at the hospital that caused him being stupid like this?

 

“You seem happy.” Kyungsoo said sarcastically, eyes never took off of his proposal. He did not need to see that disturbing smile, because right now his happy aura radiated thoroughly.

 

“Ah how do you know?” Yoongi chuckled and ran a hand on his soft, fluffy hair before stole a pillow and hugged it. Kyungsoo glanced and realized that Jung Eunji better hurry to break his heart because Do Kyungsoo definitely could not handle a puppy-in-love Min Yoongi. He seriously could not. No, he would not want to. “I followed your advice. I made my move.”

 

This got Kyungsoo’s attention. He diverted his owl-sized eyes at his friend and blinked. “What, she said yes? That is why you’re acting stupid like this?” Kyungsoo shook his head. Jung Eunji, too fast. Should not she take a look first and ask Yoongi for his resume and—

 

“—I asked her if I could join the competition.” Yoongi said with a sheepish smile, although it was weird for Kyungsoo, he sounded so proud right now.

 

Kyungsoo’s brows now furrowed in confusion. “What competition?”

 

“The one that Jisoo and Chanyeol are in.” Yoongi innocently replied.

 

“Is there any?” Kyungsoo now was really confused. He did not notice Chanyeol or Jisoo enter same competition, let alone seen together. They hated each other enough to kill if they were, ever, fated to be inside the same room. Park Yoochun also did not say anything about competition, so what was this brat talking about? He had a moment to think, very hard before a certain person popped up in his mind; Chae Soobin. “.” He cursed under his breath before looked up and asked him. “What did she say?” Kyungsoo sometimes wondered, how could Min Yoongi become so stupid in this area? But reflecting at himself, he knew he was not any better. They were both just stupid in that area.

 

“She seemed confused firstly, but then she told me to just do it. She even wished me good luck! Yah Do Kyungsoo, she wished me good luck! It’s a good sign right, she gave me a chance.”

 

“And you’re happy because she wished you good luck?” Kyungsoo reached out his hand as he then slapped the back of Yoongi’s head. “AIGOO THIS KID. AIGOO.”

 

“Yah! Yah! Yah!” Yoongi pushed Kyungsoo’s hand away and covered his head with his hands. “WHAT THE HELL MAN.”

 

Kyungsoo wetted his lips, desperate to make this young, innocent man wake up. “Yah. When you said competition between Jisoo and Chanyeol, don’t you think she would think of something else?! She is unlike you . She, although ranks bottom, observes and knows things. Unlike you that needed explanation, I think Eunji knew about restraint between Chanyeol, Jisoo, and Soobin. Do you really think she would think that you refer it to her, Jung Eunji, and not Chae Soobin?”

 

It took a while, really took a while, until Yoongi realized his mistake and screamed, “AH!” He clapped his hands in disappointment and clicked his tongue. “Ah, no wonder she sounds hesitant. Yah, why would I ask her that question if it was directed for Soobin?”

 

Kyungsoo already returned to his proposal, now holding a highlighter to mark grammatical mistakes or impossible budget plan. He just shook his head in disbelief, not knowing there was someone like Min Yoongi; tough outside, super soft inside. “Why don’t you just use basic Korean and ask her out for movie or something? I never asked you to speak to her with metaphorical sentences, where the did you study that Min? Damn Min, I almost thought you made it.”

 

Yoongi pouted, he also was disappointed with himself. How could he ask something so blatantly stupid like that? He really should stop watching dramas because they taught nothing but trash. “So I should ask her for movies.” Yoongi mumbled and took out his phone, typed somehing and waited for the links to load. “What movies though?”

 

“I DON’T KNOW.” Kyungsoo was irritated now, positively irked by his best friend. “Should I ask her out and find out then?” He challenged him with a raised brow.

 

“NO.” Yoongi shook his head in horror.

 

Kyungsoo set his eyes back at the proposal, quietly watching his best friend being confused of what movie to pick and how to ask Jung Eunji out tomorrow. He knew his best friend would go against great rivals, but he was sure Min Yoongi definitely stood a chance. After all, wouldn’t she prefer a man with clean past than someone with tangled history?

Sooyoung knew about the on-going rumors. Last night she received a call from Chae Soobin’s loyal butler to inform about Soobin and her admission at the hospital, he wished Sooyoung could come but didn’t force her to. After all, he knew that it wasn’t in his territory to wonder about his employers’ personal problems.

 

Sooyoung closed her locker as she made sure nothing was left behind, before she stepped out, if Soobin wouldn’t give any chance to prove her abilities, then she had nothing to hold on anymore. Everyone had their own limits, and this was her limit to understand her. Right after she closed the door and about to walk off, she turned her head on the right side, just to find Yook Sungjae was already standing, lean and tall, hands inside the pocket, as if he waited for her.

 

“Can we talk?” he asked and walked off first, very confidently, as if he already knew Sooyoung would follow.

 

They went to the rooftop, the same rooftop when Jieun was pushed by a senior, the same rooftop when Jieun was saved by two estranged friends. Sungjae walked to the edge of the rooftop, looking around before he turned to see Sooyoung that seemed to know what their topic would be and was very uncomfortable about it.

 

“I won’t visit her.” Sooyoung said before Sungjae could say anything. “I’m still angry with her. So angry that I might curse at her. I don’t want to visit her. And I knew she won’t want me there.”

 

Sungjae shrugged his shoulders off, looking down with empty expression. “Argument goes both ways.” Sungjae could sense a furrowed eyebrows directed at him so he explained, “You could say that Soobin doesn’t want you there, but she could want you to be there, she might need you there.” Sungjae leaned his back against the wall and sighed, “Do you know what’s sad about our friends? Wow, we should have Baekhyun here and we have The Golden Trio’s sidekicks meeting.” Sungjae laughed at his own joke before he continued, “Instead of solving their problems, they walked away. They were too afraid Sooyoung, to step forward and apologize. Chanyeol for his punches, Jisoo for his secret relationship, and Soobin for her unforgivable sins. They were too afraid, so they couldn’t help it when things fell apart.”

 

Sooyoung was stunned, Sungjae sounded very reasonable and gentle about this matter, almost showed her that he actually cared for those three. For once, Yook Sungjae didn’t flaunt his spoiled brat persona he always masked.

 

“So Park Sooyoung, instead of walking away and leaving the team, be a little braver than Soobin. We are well aware that if you want her to ask you back, until sun sets in north, she won’t. It sounds silly Sooyoung, but I think you will save her life if you do.” Sungjae stepped closer to her, their shoes touched and they now exchanged breaths. “If it eases your mind, then I could come with you. At all costs, she was once a friend.”

 

“Why are you so persistent about this?” Sooyoung whispered, looking away because she was so nervous to see his eyes. “Jisoo might be angry if he finds out.”

 

“I know he would hit me if I persuade you through this but really...,” Sungjae inhaled. “I don’t want to stress myself with your sad face. It disturbs me so much, I don’t even know why.”

 

Sooyoung looked up and found a very dark orbs, dark but beautiful, and lips that now slightly created a grin.

“Good morning universe!”

 

Everyone in the classroom turned their heads to the voice that boomed. It was Yoo Youngjae, with his dear best friends, Yoo Jiae and Jung Eunji. Chanyeol was standing near the whiteboard, about to clean it. It was supposed to be Class President’s duty but because she was absent he took over her duties, like what he did right now.

 

Jung Eunji seemed so much better right now; with her fresh-looking face, bright smile, and tidy uniform. Chanyeol raised a brow as he noticed she had something on her hand, is that bread? he wondered. Chanyeol stepped closer to block her way.

 

But Eunji was faster, as she walked past Chanyeol that was about to call her name, made the taller wordless and watched Eunji kept going to her seat. She placed her bag on the top of her desk and walked over to the desk next to hers; Min Yoongi’s.

 

The male of course didn’t notice her at all, as he leaned his head over the desk and covered his sight with his hoodie, music thundered on his earlobes. So of course he was surprised when she knocked on his desk and got him fluttering his eyes open, only to find Jung Eunji smiling at and greeting him, “Good morning Min Yoongi!”

 

“O-oh-ohhh,” Yoongi raised his head and took off his earphones as he watched she then got something on her small fingers. Something that almost, almost got Yoongi to tremble; sausage bread she promised earlier at the hospital room. He helplessly looked up and found Eunji was with her easy smile that got Yoongi snorted and grinned cheekily to cover his nervous state, “Whoa, so Jung Eunji keeps her promise.” as he took the bread happily.

 

Eunji laughed as she seemed satisfied with his response and then sat on her seat, “Of course, I am a woman of words dude. Don’t ever take me lightly alright?”

 

Yoongi’s eyes sparkled with something, something so amusing and easy for anyone to see, something so transparent that only fools would fail to notice. “Never,” he replied. “I will never take you lightly.”

Yoochun has just got in when the teachers called for him, asking him to come over as they were talking about something seemingly serious. Yoochun took a seat next to Sunggyu and wondered what happened. The latter briefed him about students that used their powers to not come to school; like the celebrities that went to their school, or the rich students. Yoochun gulped, realized that those two types were in his classroom.

 

“Park Seonsaengnim, I heard Chae Soobin is absent today.” Kim Jongmin, a senior teacher that taught Korean history, shook his head. “That was so unlike the other two Chae I have taught. They were so unlike her, they even would fight snow storms to have perfect attendance.”

 

Yoochun blinked as he realized he just earned a new information. “Chae Soobin has two older siblings?”

 

Kim Jongmin nodded eagerly, excited to share some stories. “Indeed! Do you know that Chae Sookang, her older brother, was the School President? He was so warm and kind, easy in the eyes and charming. Until today, he still wishes me happy birthday through texts or gift-certificates. I like that kid. Her older sister too, Chae Sooji. She’s in Paris I heard, studying. She ranked first and won a lot of literature competitions. Charming, her face is alike to Soobin.” Kim Jongmin grinned happily, cherishing memories.

 

“Kim Jisoo’s brother and Park Chanyeol’s sister too would make a perfect couple, if only if did not happen.” Jung Yuri, Math teacher, added with a sadness that she couldn’t hide.

 

Park Yoochun blinked again, another new information that he might and would not get from the students themselves. “My students, Kim Jisoo and Park Chanyeol?” he was making sure they were on the same page.

 

“Yeah of course, who else?” Jung Yuri was offended, thinking Yoochun might wonder about their memories. “They were dating and quite famous, we love them. What a pair; social butterflies and Jill-Of-All-Trades. I heard that Chae Soobin’s brother is Kim Jisoo’s brother’s best friend. Sookang was so torn when he found out his best friend was gone. Sad story. This is why rich kids have to be watched. They might abuse their parents’ money.”

 

“What happened to them?” Yoochun somehow felt bad that he had to dig in his students’ private lives. But then again, if not now, then when? He wanted to know, although he was not allowed to.

 

Jung Yuri plastered a very unhappy expression, “They were both expelled. Kim Jisoo’s brother and Park Chanyeol’s sister were on drugs. Someone told Headmistress and they were sent home for good. That was so saddening, it was the beginning of their downfall.”

 

Yoochun was stunned. He only knew that Chanyeol was so mad at Jongup when he described his sister as drug addict. So the personal reason that made Kim Jisoo move out and continue his studies abroad for some time was to avoid Park Chanyeol and Chae Soobin? Wow, how cruel fate could play with someone’s destiny; putting them together in a class and assigned two of them to bring eighteen of their classmates to be together, to be bonded. Wow, Park Yoochun might use this information for future needs, a future that was not seem to be far away.

“What a voracious eater.”

 

Jung Eunji looked up to find Park Chanyeol was openly staring at her, his chin was propped on his palm, mocked her for her full mouth. Sitting next to him was Byun Baekhyun, said nothing but it sounded everything to the taller as he sent him side-glance that only made Baekhyun grinned wider. “What, I’m happy, so happy that Eunji is back to school. Can’t I be happy for a friend? It’s not like Eunji and I are strangers or something else...,” Baekhyun intentionally pressed his tone at words he knew would disturb Chanyeol’s peaceful state of mind.

 

Earlier today, Jung Eunji brought her tray to their table, saying that Youngjae and Jiae had an emergency meeting because Kyungsoo has declined their proposal, while the book and movie event was coming closer in few weeks more. She also added that she hated to eat alone, so she wanted to join them. Chanyeol was about to ask her to join Jung Haena or Jung Soojung and Kim Myungsoo, but Baekhyun, being an angel he always seemed to be, welcomed her with a wide, happy beam and let her sit in front of them.

 

“Sorry, I’m so hungry. Hospital’s food is not as tasty as this.” Eunji laughed, still with a mouth full with rice and meat, that made Chanyeol shake his head and hiss.

 

“Donut is tasty too—OUCH!” Baekhyun whined in pain as Chanyeol intentionally stepped on his shoes to shut his tongue. He turned his head at Baekhyun and made facial expressions that made Baekhyun pout, thankfully Eunji was too busy with her food that it went unnoticed.

 

“So is there anything that I need to re-handle?” she asked Chanyeol, for her capacity as Class President. Although she hated the duties, she had obligations to fullfill, and Eunji did not want to skip them just because she was absent.

 

Chanyeol shook his head. “Nothing much. I handled them already. Oh well, we still need confirmation from Kyungsoo about the athletic championship. We can’t decide until they are sure what sports we’d be playing.”

 

“Hooooo...” Eunji nodded her head. “Okay then. Thank you so much for the help Chanyeol. It’s my very first time feeling grateful to have a VP. You’re really are the best.” She even raised he thumbs to praise him.

 

Chanyeol seemed uninterested, so Baekhyun replied for him. “Chanyeol also feels glad that now you’re here today, back with a better feeling. So! So! So! I heard Chanyeol brought donuts for you—” Baekhyun could not finish as Yoongi stepped into their conversation, calling out Eunji’s name.

 

They looked up and found Min Yoongi was smiling, like a bright smile, positive one, unlike the usual sneers, and it was noticeable that that smile was addressed for the Class President, Jung Eunji.

 

Eunji beamed at him and greeted him with a warm hello, “Hi Yoongi, solo lunch too?” she asked quite innocently.

 

Chanyeol placed his chopsticks on his tray, hands over his chest, watched the pair amusedly, while Baekhyun pretended to eat his food as he grinned at this super awkward love triangle. He nibbled on his chopsticks, definitely waited for what to come and of course expectant toward Chanyeol’s reaction.

 

“No, I just finished mine and I saw you so I come to greet you.” Yoongi answered, a little nervous, of course it was noticed by Chanyeol through his squint. “So Eunji, I have something to ask.”

 

Eunji nodded. “What is it?”

 

“So Ji Sub has this movie at theater and I really want to watch it, but I don’t feel like going alone. Kyungsoo seems not interested and I have no other friends to go with.” Yoongi inhaled, Baekhyun held his breath, Chanyeol exhaled with a scoff - definitely knew where this conversation headed. “Would you like to come with me?”

 

Eunji had her eyes widened, she didn’t watch Chanyeol’s or Baekhyun’s expressions as she was too surprised as well, she didn’t know that someone would ask her out, and of course Eunji didn’t expect that someone would be the soccer Captain, the Red King, Min Yoongi.

 

But there was something, something sparkled inside his eyes that Eunji found dazzling; maybe because she would never have the courage to do so to her crush or maybe because she really could tell that this young male was nervous. So with a smile, Eunji nodded her head. She knew her brother would about and relate Yoongi with the lavender flowers, but she did it anyway. “Sure. What time?” She asked and in a second, the world seemingly was invisible.

 

Baekhyun watched Chanyeol carefully, he turned his head to watch his best friend’s expression and let out a small smile. Not that he found it funny, but because without Chanyeol knowing, he already had his world shaken by this certain Class President that would not even bother to realize it.

 

“Ah Yura-noona…,” Baekhyun whispered under his breath. “What should we do? He finally finds The One.

Soojung just finished placing her tray when she noticed someone was standing, lean and tall, like he usually was, staring down at her, as if he asked her for a small talk. Soojung pretended to not see his eyes as she looked away and nodded at whatever Myungsoo was saying, because heck she didn’t want to talk to him – she knew what they would talk about anyway.

 

And as if he was determined to get her to talk no matter what, he popped in so suddenly, into their conversation and went ahead by catching her lower arm and smiled grimly at Myungsoo, “Sorry Myungsoo, let me steal Soojung for a sec.” Without looking back, he pulled her away, leaving Myungsoo dumbfounded, of course not expecting him to do so.

 

Turned out he brought her to their empty classroom, seemingly everyone was hungry enough to leave this room empty, or maybe this Basketball Captain asked his trustworthy sidekick to do him a favor. His grip was still tight, so the female turned her head as they stopped walking and clicked her tongue as she yanked his hand away. “What do you want?” she asked, annoyed.

 

“What happened between you and Soobin?” The Captain couldn’t help but wonder. He also heard from the butler about Soojung’s visit and Soobin got admitted to the hospital. “Why does she need to be admitted?” He wondered as he tried to find lies in that ice cold expression of her.

 

Soojung let out a small smirk, “Why?” she looked up, eyes flaming. “Are you going to be on her side too, like Sooyoung and those cheerleading members that turned their backs against me? Are you going to keep your mouth shut when I greeted you that morning?” Soojung gritted her teeth at the memories. Her smirk then disappeared into a cold expression. “Then go ahead. I’ve experienced worse than not having any friend…,”

 

Kim Jisoo was stunned, he didn’t expect this young girl would challenge him to do so. “I told you Soojung, I didn’t —” he was cut off even before he tried to finish.

 

“BLAH, CRAP.” Soojung rolled her eyes, it was still clear that she was still hurt about what happened. “I would really appreciate it if you could just get lost and mind your own business, because heck, you people make me did so before. Don’t give a about me Kim. I know exactly what you want and I’ll not say a word about it.”

 

“Soojung,” Jisoo tried to call her as she stepped off.

 

“Do not call me Soojung.” Soojung hissed irritably. “The last time you called me that, you ed me up so bad and left me in a downfall. You chose to be with her, so please do not, and never call me Soojung again. I hate you.”

 

Without another word, Jung Soojung walked away, not knowing there was someone standing near the window, listening to all.

Park Yoochun finished his teaching fifteen minutes earlier than usual as he now looked at his students and realized he barely knew a thing about them. He wanted them to bond, to unite, yet he didn’t know there was such tension between each student. Now he watched properly, he realized Park Chanyeol wouldn’t even bother with Kim Jisoo, and Kim Jisoo wouldn’t even look at his way. Sooyoung seemed lonely but she didn’t say a word about it.

 

“Jung Eunji, can you help me?” Yoochun asked for the Class President and he saw Eunji nodded her head. “I need you, along with Kim Jisoo, Park Chanyeol, and Park Sooyoung to pay Chae Soobin a visit.”

 

Three pairs of eyes widened as they didn’t expect it to happen. Park Sooyoung seemingly disagreed with this thought, Park Chanyeol scoffed, and Kim Jisoo just gulped as he raised his hand. “I’m sorry Seonsaengnim, can I go a little later? Coach Lee needs me on the field for a meeting.”

 

“Sure thing, but make sure you come too alright? Ten points for each who bails.” Yoochun said in a calm tone, but they knew it was a little threat to make sure they came. No one of them wanted extra points, so they nodded lightly.

 

“Wow Chae Soobin…,” Chanyeol mumbled sarcastically but it was audible enough for anyone sitting near him. “… She gets so much love for being a pain in the neck as she is…,”

Chanyeol and Sooyoung thought Eunji was too good and too innocent for someone in her age, as she kindly bought a bouquet of flowers for Soobin. But they didn’t say a word and let Eunji do whatever she wanted to do because they, Chanyeol especially, didn’t need those loud noises.

 

As the nurse mentioned, they stopped in front of Room 607, where Chae Soobin stayed right after she got help in Emergency Room. Eunji knocked the door and slowly slid it open, only to gawk as the wide room. VIPs are different, she thought.

 

They found Chae Soobin was widening her eyes as she was about to change the TV channel, maybe she wasn’t surprised to see Eunji, but damn the other two, they definitely stopped blinking as their gazes met.

 

Knowing well the tension between them, Eunji cheerfully said to Soobin, “Soobin! How are you feeling?”

 

Soobin didn’t even answer to her question, definitely ignored her presence as she stared intently at two of them. “Must I go crazy so you will come here?” she wondered lightheartedly.

 

Sooyoung didn’t say anything and just stood there, next to Eunji as they stepped closer to her bed, and Chanyeol was silent too.

 

“Oh it’s not just us!” Eunji misinterpreted Soobin’s amused look. “Jisoo is coming too, but he stays behind because he has a meeting with his coach—”

 

“—shut up, I don’t talk to you.” Soobin cut her off harshly, not even Eunji, Sooyoung too was surprised with Soobin’s words.

 

“My mother thought I just snapped due to over-stressed for final competition.” Soobin explained bitterly. “When will she realize that one among other reasons I am this depressed is also because of her?” She then looked up at Chanyeol that was looking at her, “Should I just tell her Chanyeol? But I want to do it in grand ways, like what you did on your mother’s party before. I would really like the attention she would pour me if I talked.”

 

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes, knowing well Soobin’s intention was to play with his heart again. She knew how Chanyeol would always worry about her well-being, even more when it was related to her mother. Chanyeol wanted to look away, but his eyes caught Eunji that was being hurt after receiving such harsh words from Chae Soobin. He really wanted to blame that stupid kid and her stupid mouth, but then again it was Jung Eunji. She was always loud, always had something to talk, always hated silence.

 

So what makes you come here Chanyeol?” Soobin asked, eyes staring sharply at Park Chanyeol. “You won’t come here even if the world is shaking.”

 

“Just because I do things, it doesn’t mean I like doing them; just like what I am doing right now.” Chanyeol also stared coldly at Soobin.

 

“It’s this girl, isn’t this?” Soobin pointed at Eunji with the TV remote. “I heard so many things about you two, and I find it funny because I never expect you to be mushy-gushy about a person. You even let Baekhyun teasing you, you do things because of this girl. I wonder…, is Chanyeol’s ideal type is the infamous Jung Eunji?”

 

Jung Eunji slowly looked up, raised her head to see Chanyeol that was staring down at Soobin. She saw how he swallowed, how he tried his best to maintain his cold demeanor, how he forced himself not to lose to Chae Soobin.

 

“If anything…,” Chanyeol spoke out, “… I would never let my taste of women goes for someone as low as her…”

 

“YAH!” Sooyoung shouted after hearing Chanyeol, didn’t believe he could say such thing, then she hurriedly turned to see Eunji that was already trembling. When Sooyoung was about to catch her hand, Eunji bowed so quickly before she bolted out the room. “YAH PARK CHANYEOL, WHAT IS THAT FOR?! WHAT DID SHE DO?!” She yelled at him for being stupid and rude.

 

Soobin watched; on how his eyes showed a hint of guilt and hesitation, on how his fists balled tightly on his sides, on how his teeth gritted before he mouthed profanity under his breath, and on how his feet bolted in the speed of light to catch after her.

 

It only took Soobin few seconds to fully understand what happened around here. So she bowed her head and smiled bitterly, silently wondered if everything was fine, if nothing happened in the past, if no one was hurt, would Park Chanyeol run that fast to catch her too?

Park Chanyeol ran to her direction, wishing he wasn’t too late. He was always like that; late. He was late to save his sister’s life. He was late to win Chae Soobin’s heart. So this name he didn’t want to be the loser that was late again.

 

Half of him expecting Eunji didn’t go so far, another half thinking of reasonable excuse for sweating something small like this. So when he found her, he was more than relieved. He thought this time he could explain.

 

But then he halted as he realized what he saw in front of him.

 

Park Chanyeol found Jung Eunji’s shoulders were slumped, head bowed so low, and Kim Jisoo was right few steps in front of her, gasping for breath. He saw how then she looked up and found Jisoo, took small steps that made his eyes twitched, and finally bumped her head to his chest.

 

Kim Jisoo was looking at anywhere but her, until he looked up and found Chanyeol was openly staring.

 

That was when he reached out his arms and slung them on her back, embracing her.

 

Park Chanyeol gritted his teeth.

 

 


July 30th 2018

I know Id go back to you.