Act 16: Carry the Torch

School

giphy.webp

MOOD: Fallin — Lovelyz


 

When the door was knocked, Eunji thought there might be something left in the room that one of her friends headed back to get it, but she couldn’t help but widened her eyes as she saw it was Min Yoongi walked in with a soft smile he that blossomed as he caught gazes with her. Eunji replied as she smiled back at him before Jinwoon then gazed up and called him.

 

“Whoa you’re back!” Jinwoon stood up and walked to his spot. His eyes went down to find a bouquet of lavender roses and another meaningful smile etched on his face as he took it over. “Look Eunji, he gets you some roses. What a sweet man you are, young man.”

 

Eunji glanced at the bouquet and there was something raced inside that made her realize that it was Yoongi that Jinwoon personally preferred for bringing lavender roses. But she didn’t want to burden him with thoughtless mind because who knows Min Yoongi might get her lavender because he liked the color since it was rare and unique or it wasn’t as pricey as red ones?

 

“O-oh, thank you…” Yoongi bowed politely at Jinwoon that only responded with a soft slap on his shoulder. The younger brother then pulled his older brother that already had a knowing, wide smirk at his sister and dragged him out to give his sister a moment of peace without anyone disturbed them.

 

The silence was louder than their voice and Eunji obviously was oblivious to his tensed shoulders as she reached for some bread her mother bought earlier for them for snacks and offered one for him. “Do you want some?” she offered cheerfully and Yoongi was dumbly stunned.

 

It took him few more seconds until he came to his sense and nodded his head, “Thanks.” He took a bite of the bread and grinned nervously at her. “So…,” he started and Eunji raised her brow. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Very much better,” she replied with a smile. “I’m sorry if I freaked you out that time. It must be surprising huh? And Jiae told me that Youngjae went mad at Sohyun and you almost hit him…,” she smiled sadly. “But please if it ever happens again, don’t do it. Youngjae is a very nice person and he does that because he cares about me.”

 

Yoongi nodded. “Baekhyun stopped me.” He answered honestly, “I saw his hands were trembling, so I know he was in fear as well.” He finished his bread and Eunji offered another one, which he willingly took. “Does…, does it happen often?” he asked in hushed tone but went heard by the female. “The hallucination I mean,” he emphasized just in case Eunji didn’t understand.

 

But she did, because she let out a tired exhale as she heard his question before he emphasized. “… It relapses if I’m in a total darkness.”

 

“I see…,” Yoongi nodded, afraid to pursue further. He was afraid that he might bring up something that Eunji didn’t actually want to talk about and he blamed his brain to roll this slow.

 

“How’s school, how’s everyone, how are you?” Eunji asked excitedly. “I really can’t wait to go back to school. It must be so much better than stay here and do nothing. I’m really bored, I need to move these muscles.” Eunji swayed her hands that got Yoongi to let out a small laugh.

 

“School’s fine; we got tons of homework. Everyone’s cool too; Youngjae and Sohyun reconciled the other day and Park Seonsaengnim seemed pleased with that progress, he even seemed excited to welcome Athletic Championship because we saw us progressing a bit. And um, I’m good. Just a little tired for the practices, but after all I’m good.” Yoongi looked away because Eunji stared intently as she listened him speaking.

 

“Everyone was here before you came, well not everyone, most of them. Nurses had to ask them to leave because we talked so loud that disturbed other patients seemingly.” Eunji told and Yoongi was worried to have another lie since he came right after they left. “I’m so happy that we have that progress Yoongi, it seems like our missions are going well.”

 

“Um,” Yoongi nodded as he took bread from Eunji. “I’m glad we did well, Park Seonsaengnim too seems pleased with us. Anyway this bread is good, where did you get this?”

 

“You think so? My mother bought this from a bakery near our house. Later when I’m back to school, I promise to bring you some others. They have very delicious sausage bread Yoongi, you must try it!”

 

“Hmm, are you sure you promised to bring me some? Because promise is a hard word to keep Jung,” Yoongi didn’t mean to but he was so head over heels for her laugh.

 

“I promise! When did I ever not fulfill my promise? If I get back to school later, Min Yoongi would be the first person I greet and I also will give him my recommended sausage bread. You love sausage, don’t you?” Eunji wondered questioningly.

 

Yoongi looked at her eyes before he nodded lightly, “I do…”

 

Yoongi let out a happy grin because Eunji was staring at him openly and they shared not only bread, but also comfortable silence for a while.

original.jpg

It was Baekhyun’s father’s birthday and naturally Chanyeol needed to come down for dinner because Baekhyun’s mother was very generous on food and would happily force Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Baekhyun’s brother, Baekbom, and Baekhyun’s father to finish the food to please her.

 

Chanyeol decided to bring something for him, anyway it’s been his fourth birthday that Chanyeol celebrated together and he never gave him anything. So he went downtown, to a certain store he usually visited with his mother to shop for his father’s outfit.

 

The salesgirl quickly noticed him and bowed politely, asked for his mother’s whereabouts which he responded with a small smile before she followed his steps. Baekhyun’s father worked as a police detective, not much money he made but he always could make his family happy. It was such an irony; Chanyeol was way luckier and richer than Baekhyun but the shorter got more love than Chanyeol deserved.

 

Ties and shirts wouldn’t do Baekhyun’s father good, so he moved to the jackets aisle because he knew Baekhyun’s father often did night shifts and went out on a very late night for his cases, so he decided to just buy him a jacket.

 

He picked out a nice dark jacket, it was simple but would look nice for him, and somehow Chanyeol wondered whether this was the good feeling when he bought something for dads.

 

Chanyeol went to the cashier to pay with his card as he looked around and his eyes spotted a familiar face that etched an expression of bored. Somehow they noticed his stare as they turned head and caught gazes with him. Chanyeol thought he should look away but he didn’t manage to do it because that person now stood up and walked to his direction.

 

“Park Chanyeol,” that person greeted with a light tap on his shoulder since he was on the same height as Chanyeol.

 

“Hyung,” Chanyeol bowed at him lightly, “You’re here by yourself?” he wondered because he didn’t need to see her now.

 

“Yeah, I need to try on this suit that my mother ordered for me. But I got bored hearing them explained about this suit is one hundred percent handmade, each thread was chosen from the finest ones, blah…” He rolled his eyes and wondered. “You’re here by yourself as well I assume.”

 

“Yes I need to buy something for a friend.” Chanyeol nodded politely and the older smiled.

 

“What you did on your mother’s birthday party was outrageous.” He commented in all honesty and Chanyeol stiffened. “Not that I complained, because I actually am thankful you did that. Yura deserved that; the truth. I know her so of course she doesn’t like to be hidden from the family, as if she was infected by something contagious. What you did yesterday was amazing Chanyeol, even Soojin-noona is thankful although she missed the show. Damn, I wished I taped your speech last night.” He satirized but Chanyeol understood so he just let out a lopsided smile. “It’s been four years huh…, but it still feels like yesterday. Do you remember that she is the only person that is so brave to steal food from dining table although we are told not to?”

 

Chanyeol remembered, too well, that somehow his heart started to pain. He managed not to let tears fall as he smirked. “She was such a notorious kid like that. No wonder she died that way.” Chanyeol said bitterly and the older was stunned with his words.

 

“Chanyeol…” He called out but Chanyeol shook his head and bowed at him.

 

“Hyung I’d like to talk more but I’m really sorry because I have an appointment and I can’t be late. I’ll be looking forward to talk to you soon.” Chanyeol went back to cashier to pay his jacket before bowed at him again and walked out of the store in the speed of light.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

As the elevator opened on his floor, he found Byun Baekhyun, his loyal servant – or so people called him – was standing lean and tall in front of his door and turned his head to the right side as he heard ding from elevator. His eyes created those slits as he smiled and waited for Chanyeol to come forward.

 

But the smile slowly vanished as he noticed the red eyes he had and it was natural for Baekhyun to stop Chanyeol from walking ahead. No, this stupid tall freak couldn’t walk in to his place looking like he’s been torn apart. The last time he saw Chanyeol being this torn was only when his sister… .

 

“Chanyeol, yah Park Chanyeol, yah what happened with you?” Baekhyun grabbed his hand to make Chanyeol stopped and looked down at him. “Chanyeol what happened to you? Who did this to you? , did you go home? Did your father slap you? Or what, did your mother said something about her? Yah Park Chanyeol, answer me! I’m not talking to a broken radio you fool!” Baekhyun panicked because then he saw him burst into tears.

 

If this was any circumstance, Baekhyun would mock him and kick his shin for being overacted. But right now, he understood his pain so he went and hugged his best friend, someone that Yura personally wrote on his letter for Baekhyun, telling him to, quoting her, take care of my baby brother won’t you? He’ll be such a and stubborn, but he has good heart. Once he sets his eyes on something, someone, he will put his life to protect it from being taken away. He will be your good friend Baekhyun.

 

“Yah Park Chanyeol…, what happened?” Baekhyun tapped his back and wondered but Chanyeol just cried harder.

 

Somehow his cry went heard inside Byun’s place because right then the door was opened and showed his family; father, mother, and Baekbom a view of the crying Park Chanyeol and confused but consoling best friend Byun Baekhyun.

 

“I…,” Chanyeol started to speak up. “Baekhyun what should I do? I miss her. I miss my Yura-noona…”

 

Nobody could reply or say a word for his statement because words couldn’t help to console a broken heart, time did. Right now, again words wouldn’t be able to help him to stand up after two weeks crying and locking himself away from people, it was time and a presence of good friend. And in this case, only Byun Baekhyun that understood that job description better than anyone in the universe.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

It was bedtime and Jinwoon already left, tonight was Ilwoo’s duty to company their mother to sleep over on the very uncomfortable sofa but apparently Ilwoo didn’t mind because he just heard a juicy gossip from Jinwoon and he just couldn’t wait to confirm it to his sister.

 

“Yah maknae,” Ilwoo couldn’t help his tongue for not teasing his sister. It’s always nice to tease the younger because unlike Jinwoon that would just roll his eyes and ignore him, Eunji would react.

 

“What?” she asked as she her fingers clean, after enjoying the snack that her mother kindly smuggled earlier this afternoon. Ilwoo clicked his tongue before he reached for wet tissues and helped her cleaning her fingers while the youngest Jung smiled cheerfully for being treated so well.

 

“So which one will you choose?” Ilwoo wondered as he cleaned Eunji’s little fingers and for being the smallest of three.

 

“Huh, what do you mean?” She also intentionally wiped her dirty fingers on his brother’s sleeping pants and made him groan in annoyance. She laughed and somehow Ilwoo let it go with ruffling her hair and throwing the tissues at the dustbin.

 

“The tall kid yesterday evening is handsome and he acts exactly alike to Jinwoon; boring. But maybe he will fit you because again, someone like him has his own charms.” Ilwoo smiled because he knew he hit the bull’s eye. “But the kid earlier is nice too. He’s tender, honest, and his feelings for you are just too overwhelming. I wonder whether you are pretending or really not knowing about it.”

 

Eunji scoffed. “I don’t understand what you’re talking about oppa.”

 

“Those kids like you. Can’t you tell?” Ilwoo checkmated Eunji with the question that got not only Eunji’s, but also her mother’s head to turn and widened their eyes. Ilwoo smirked at seeing the honest expression on Eunji and then he nodded. “So you really don’t know. Interesting, very interesting.”

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

Jongdae noticed that his good friend wasn’t in his best shape, so he called the practice over and ordered them to play by themselves as he stepped closer to the Captain of the team, sitting alone on the green grass but his eyes looked empty. Yoongi looked up as soon as he was awake from his reverie and let out a small smile.

 

“You know, spill the beans already.” Jongdae said as he wiped the sweats with his shirt, showing his upper body that was so fine and could kill. Yoongi gave him a confused look and he continued, “The Red King doesn’t drill these kids today; either you are high or drunk, but knowing you of course you do neither. So I come with the third and the only possible reason; you’re heartbroken.”

 

“I am not heartbroken!” Yoongi disagreed right away, too fast, too loud. Jongdae just gave him a super long look and the boy pressed his lips into a thin line. “It’s just that…,” he paused and got Jongdae to wonder. “There’s a completion I’ve been wanted to join… But then I found out recently that I won’t win.” Yoongi watched his team members played and Jongdae frowned at him for being oddly low. “I see the competition and I know I won’t win.”

 

Jongdae snorted at him and Yoongi was irked because how could this kid snort at him when he told about his heartfelt feelings? “Are we really talking about this? Like ing seriously Min Yoongi? If you want to join that competition then go ahead and sign up! Don’t be a ing sissy and act like you’re scared.”

 

“Didn’t you hear what I said? I know I won’t win Jongdae, why should I sign up for a competition that in the end I’m aware I’ll lose?” Yoongi sounded so frustrated, both with himself and the feelings he had.

 

“ you Yoongi. Since when is our Red King being so weak? Where is that same person, who refuses to study Math but then proved to the teacher that Yoongi wins MVP for the games? Where is that person, our captain that encourages us to believe that we can win although this crap school doesn’t provide us good facility to practice?” Jongdae sounded so much exasperated and sighed, “I don’t know and I don’t care what the is the competition you’ve been wondered and made you vulnerable like this. But one thing for sure Yoongi, you won’t win if you just sit back and speculate like a moron.”

 

Yoongi watched Jongdae that now is riled up. But then he realized that Jongdae was right about one thing; he shouldn’t just sit back and speculate. He didn’t know since when but he felt like he was always thinking, considering, losing because of his reserved mind.

 

So he reached Jongdae by his shoulder and grinned foolishly, “Thank you, I’m so glad I picked you as my co-captain.”

 

He rolled his eyes. “Shut up, you .” But Jongdae let out a kind smile and tapped his teammate’s back. “Good luck Min, with the competition. Show her great things about our Red King.”

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

The cheerleading squad was in a meeting for next stunt they would perform on the final round of S University’s final. Soobin spread the arrangement and started to talk about the music when an annoyed voice spoke out.

 

“Why can’t I be on top this time?” Sooyoung asked, she glared at Soobin openly and challengingly.

 

Soobin seemed uninterested with her question that she replied dully. “I told you, you still need to lose some weights.”

 

Sooyoung scoffed, did she hear right? She has lost almost ten kilograms and got sick often for her extreme diet. Soobin knew her struggles and cheered her with a promise of being on top on the final round if Sooyoung did well on her diet plan.

 

“Everyone, out.” Sooyoung said in a stern voice and Soobin looked up from the arrangement paper to her friend. It didn’t take a long time before they walked out of the room, leaving only the captain and her best friend.

 

“You know, I planned on holding back my feelings but really Chae Soobin, you’re such a this time.” Sooyoung stood up and glared at Soobin. “You promised me a spot on top if my diet plan works. And it worked! I lost ten kilograms just to be on top! Don’t you think I’m light enough to be on top?” Sooyoung sounded frustrated.

 

Soobin wetted her tinted lips before she looked at Sooyoung, again with that degrading look she had in her eyes. “I know Sooyoung, I was there. But then I realize that this event is important. I have to make sure our team wins. I can’t make uncertain decisions just because you lose weight. Because admit it, Sowon is always going to be lighter than you and she has more experiences as a topper. Next time alright, let’s put you on top next time. I promise…”

 

“You .” Sooyoung has lost it; her temper, her patience. She’s been very patient with Soobin for a long, long time and now she just lost it. She always thought behind those facades Soobin portraying, there was a sweet person. But who she was kidding after all, her for being so naïve.

 

Soobin just let out a small smile. “I know, everyone says the exact same thing about me.”

 

“No wonder you lost your former best friends.” Sooyoung got a full attention from Soobin. “They must be so sick of you that they decided to abandon you, because you are such a and just can’t admit that you need a person to be around you. I thought I could be your friend but it seems to you I am just a tool to give you company…,” She stepped closer to Soobin and narrowed her eyes. “Did I leave?” Sooyoung was so wrecked that she cried. “Did I ever leave you, answer me!”

 

Soobin shook her head weakly.

 

“I DIDN’T! Despite all horrible deeds you did to Soojung and Chanyeol’s sister, did I ever leave your side?” She was shouting loudly right now. “I didn’t leave you because you are my best friend, you ! I didn’t leave you like Chanyeol and Jisoo did to you!”

 

Soobin tried to touch her hand but Sooyoung yanked her hand away. “Sooyoung,” Soobin now had this fear that another person would walk out of her life. “Sooyoung please listen to me. I promise you I will put you on top—”

 

“—I don’t give a about that anymore! I need you to stop looking down at me! Stop thinking that I am your servant or anything! I’m your friend Chae Soobin! Is it that hard to admit that we’re friends? Will it hurt your ego?!” Sooyoung was screaming and now her squad opened the door because they were worried.

 

“No, it won’t.” The members were surprised to see Soobin being terrified and Sooyoung was screaming like crazy. Soobin tried to grab Sooyoung but she pushed her away. “Sooyoung, please… Sooyoung I promise you next time… I can’t… I can’t lose this time. Sooyoung… PARK SOOYOUNG!” Soobin lost it as she screamed for Sooyoung’s name.

 

But Sooyoung didn’t stop, she took her tote bag and turned to see Soobin, hurt evident in her eyes. “Congratulations Chae Soobin, you just lost me.”

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

The news about Sooyoung’s confrontation went heard to basketball members as they practiced since some of the cheerleading squad’s members befriended them. And it was about damn time when Sungjae got the news and hesitated to tell Jisoo about it; because he really didn’t want his best friend to worry over her but he also didn’t want Jisoo to find out by himself and thought of him as a bad friend.

 

So he surrendered to the former as he walked in to changing room and found the taller was changing his uniform. “Dude have you heard?” he wondered lightly, trying to find out whether Jisoo has already known or not.

 

“Heard what?” Jisoo ed his shirt as he opened his locker, picking out his practice tee. He turned to Sungjae since his best friend went quiet, unlike himself in good days. He furrowed his brows as he waited for Sungjae. “What is it Sungjae?” he sounded worried.

 

Sungjae shrugged, tried to sound nonchalant when he replied to him. “Sooyoung went mad.”

 

Jisoo blinked, “Sooyoung, your Sooyoung-ie?”

 

Sungjae nodded in distaste on how Jisoo described Sooyoung as his, “Well you see…, um I mean you know Sooyoung has lost so much weight recently right? Getting so pretty and gorgeous, finally fulfilling cheerleader team member’s traits, you get me—”

 

“—just get me to the point Sungjae,” Jisoo sighed and Sungjae nodded although he seemed unsure.

 

“So yeah um, somehow Sooyoung lost weight because she is promised a position as a topper in their stunts by Soobin for the next competition, you might have heard it; the S final? So yeah um…, as always, as expected—” again, Sungjae was cut off.

 

“—Soobin broke her promise.” Jisoo snorted at this. Of course, when would that woman learn how to keep her tongue altogether? “Sooyoung knew that personality of hers already, so what’s the problem?”

 

“The thing is that Sooyoung went crazy this time, exploded in outburst. Sooyoung finally had enough and decided to leave Soobin and the squad.” His comeback got Jisoo’s full attention.

 

“What?” Jisoo widened his eyes and slowly stood up. That was a stretch, Sungjae raised his brow at that and almost, almost smirked. “She did?”

 

“Yeah, crazy isn’t it?” Sungjae also sounded in disbelief. “I mean…, we’ve always known their friendship would come to an end someday, but damn I can’t believe that today is the doomsday! Yah, where are you going?!” Sungjae shouted for pretend only, of course he knew where his best friend headed.

 

After all this time; after the heartbreaks she made, after the pains she caused, after a great friendship she broke, Sungjae knew where his best friend would run to that fast.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

Kim Jisoo knew he had nothing to do with her anymore, not after she broke their friendship and torn everything apart, not after she made him and Chanyeol lost their loved ones, not after everything they have been through. But Kim Jisoo knew deep down he still cared, he just didn’t show it anymore. Just like how he still cared for Chanyeol well-being, he felt the same way with her. And knowing her for almost a lifetime, of course he knew where she headed when she needed time to think.

 

The lake wasn’t anyone’s favorite, it was quiet and empty. The lake seemed endless and it helped to think about future; whether they would think about their future as deep as or as wide as the lake. Once Soobin mentioned to him that she wanted to feel how it was to be buried deep inside the water, that time Chanyeol prevented her to think so and Jisoo just rolled his eyes for Soobin being drama queen again.

 

But being with her, knowing her layers, made him see there were pressures on her shoulder, it was nothing but heavy. Jisoo tried to help her overcoming her fears, helping her seeing things thoroughly, but before then it was too late.

 

They were torn apart.

 

There he found her, in her cheerleading uniform, looking far at the lake, eyes empty and swollen. Kim Jisoo stood few steps behind her, watching carefully.

 

It seemed like Soobin sensed someone was coming, because then she murmured, “Do you think it’s cold?”

 

Jisoo just watched her in silence.

 

Soobin smiled sadly, “Even so, it’s probably not as cold as I am.”

 

Jisoo watched the way Soobin slowly walked to the lake, with the empty eyes. She kept going, not even expecting Jisoo to catch her arm or stop him, just kept walking as her shoes was soaked, and then her calves, and then her knees, and slowly right before her cheerleading uniform skirt became wet, Jisoo called for her name.

 

“Stop it already.” Jisoo remained rooted on his spot, calling for Soobin to get her sense back.

 

Soobin also remained stilled in the water, she was halfway there.

 

“I get it, so…” Jisoo couldn’t beg her to come back. It wasn’t his business anymore, she wasn’t supposed to be his business anymore.

 

She turned very slowly and looked at Jisoo with the same empty look, but there was a hint of longing, something she really wanted. “Am I a helpless case?” Soobin wondered in hushed tone.

 

“No you’re not. You know that Soobin,” Jisoo sighed and looked at the lake that seemed to be endless.

 

He waited until Soobin slowly walked back, right to his direction with her soaked lower body. Jisoo took off his hoodie and pushed it to her hold, so she would cover her skirt.

 

Somehow that little gesture made Soobin broke into a small, yearning smile. “You used to take care of me a lot.”

 

“Chanyeol did too.” Jisoo bitterly mentioned that name, the one that vowed to hate him until his very last breath.

 

Soobin nodded. “Yeah, you both did great taking care of me. Can we just go back to whatever we were before?”

 

That got Jisoo’s attention and then he sighed. “No we can’t. I hate you so much for what you did Soobin, you hurt so many people that actually care for you; your siblings, Chanyeol, me. You did that because your ego, just like what you’re doing right now; your ego needs someone to understand and agree with you.” Jisoo shook his head. “But I won’t be that person anymore, and we won’t go back to the past. I told you already, we’re growing up. You should try that too sometimes, it helps you to see things clearly.”

 

After he made sure Soobin was alright, he decided to leave because being with her made him remember things, and he didn’t like to reminisce past.

 

“I am growing up Jisoo,” Soobin grunted to stop Jisoo from walking away.

 

“Right, your body did, but not your ego. It still has the ego of little child that is scared of losing attention she thinks she deserves. Grow up Soobin, you won’t realize good things around you if you keep that inside you.” Jisoo turned his back against Soobin and about to walk away when Soobin said something.

 

“Then why are you here?” Soobin asked, looking at him with teary eyes, as if she tried to challenge him.

 

Jisoo sighed and he cleared his throat, “I also don’t know honestly. What do I expect from you anyway, good evening Soobin.”

 

He left her and Soobin was feeling lonelier than she usually did, this time she didn’t have anyone to turn to.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

Initially Park Yoochun wanted to decide for the Athletic Championship today but then he noticed there were few of his students that didn’t come, so he decided to postpone until they all came. After all, the event was still weeks away and they had time to decide later.

 

“So VP, how many students are absent today?” Yoochun wondered to Chanyeol and saw the boy blinked confusedly for never did that before, since it was always either Eunji or Kyungsoo took care of the attendance. He saw the way Chanyeol counted each of them, right then Kyungsoo raised his hand and answered for him.

 

“Three students Seonsaengim; Chae Soobin, Jung Eunji, and Lee Hyunwoo.”

 

Chanyeol turned to see Kyungsoo that winked in response, for being so cheeky and Chanyeol just snorted before he turned to Park Yoochun.

 

“Well Chanyeol, it seems like you need to pay attention more to your classmates. I’ll let it slide today because Kyungsoo happens to be fast.” Yoochun winked at the younger that just nodded at him. “So um, for today’s notes I guess I will trust these to three persons. Who are willing to give these notes to Soobin, Eunji and Hyunwoo?” Yoochun offered and none seemed to be interested on handing notes, except Jiae that was already raising her hand, on which he disagreed because he wanted somebody else.

 

“You VP, you go and take these to her.” Chanyeol was not even able to refuse, since Yoochun already handed them on his chest, which he naturally had to oblige.

 

But then when Howon raised his hand and said he was going to give the notes for Hyunwoo, Yoochun easily gave in and let the kid to take the notes and promised he would check Hyunwoo’s condition.

 

Park Yoochun now waited for anybody to pick notes for Soobin, on which he glanced at Sooyoung that seemingly hesitated but then looked away once their gazes met. Yoochun wouldn’t ask, he wanted to see if there was anyone that was close enough with Chae Soobin aside from Park Sooyoung.

 

So when Jung Soojung raised her hand and said she would do it by herself, almost everyone in the room turned their heads and widened their eyes; take Sungjae, Jisoo, and Sooyoung for example, or how Chanyeol showed a hint of emotion when he squinted as Soojung walked over and took the notes.

 

“Alright then, see you tomorrow!” Park Yoochun waved his hands and the students thanked them in echo.

 

Chanyeol caught Soojung’s forearm, right before she could walk away, and got her turning at him. “Are you crazy?” Chanyeol grunted, “What are you doing?”

 

“I’m doing something that I needed to do since ages ago Chanyeol; facing my fear. If I don’t do this, I don’t think I can do it later on.” Soojung then pushed Chanyeol’s hand away, before any of them notice their interaction and fixed her backpack before walked out.

 

Chanyeol clicked his tongue and sighed.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

Chanyeol clicked his tongue as he stood right in front of the door, with Jung Eunji written on it. He knew it was a bad decision to come here and accepted his fate as VP, but somehow he was curious about her past after all. He wanted to know.

 

“Oh, hi again kiddo.” Ilwoo opened the door so suddenly and almost caused Chanyeol to jump in surprise with notes on his hand and a box of donuts. “Come in, come in. Thank goodness you’re here, you can give her some company. I need to go somewhere—” Right before he even continued, his phone vibrated and Ilwoo just tapped his shoulder before walked away.

 

Chanyeol decided to accept his fate and stepped in, so slowly, and found Jung Eunji was sitting on her bed, watching a variety show and laughing thoroughly at it. There was something about her laugh that seemed to be contagious, and Chanyeol almost lost his cool, right before Eunji noticed there was someone standing in the room.

 

“Oh you again,” was her first greeting. “So do you now admit that you’re visiting me?” Eunji had this amused smile as Chanyeol walked closer to her bed. The room was empty, no sight of her brothers or her mother. She was alone, just like what Ilwoo said.

 

“Stop making things up, I just come here because it’s my duty.” Chanyeol put on the papers on her lap and about to walk out when she called for him. He turned around and the girl had this super wide smile.

 

“Are those donuts for me?” she tilted her head at the plastic bag he carried.

 

Chanyeol was supposed to feel threatened when he saw that kind of smile.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

When Howon arrived at Hyunwoo’s place, he was welcome by his mother that was thrilled to see a friend coming to visit. It’s been a while, she said, a friend coming to their house.

 

Howon was asked to come in as she would call for her son to come down, and she let him to look around, just to drive away the boredom.

 

So he did look around, at the family pictures, where Hyunwoo happened to have siblings that were around his age. Howon didn’t know whether they were older or younger, and then he looked over some of his pictures with his friends…, but most of them were Hyunwoo with Jieun, his classmate.

 

There were few of their pictures; camera aware or candidly taken. One that caught his attention was a picture of them both together, but Hyunwoo was as if watching her in silence, just like the drama scene where the male character was looking lovingly at his love interest – with admiration.

 

But he didn’t need to think or contemplate, so he shifted his eyes and found many framed pictures hung on the wall; naming Lee Hyunwoo in so many swimming awards, either participation award or winning ones.

 

Hyunwoo definitely never told him that before he was active in Theater, he was a swimming athlete.

 

“Ah, I already told myself that I would tell you in some other time. Yet there you are, finding out my stories.”

 

Howon turned and found Hyunwoo, paled sickly Lee Hyunwoo, was walking slowly reached to him and stood right beside him, also looking up at the pictures.

 

“I’ve always asked my parents to take them down but they said memories were made to be cherished. They were kind enough to get rid of my pictures though, they said these would be just waste if they throw these awards away.” Hyunwoo glanced at Howon, “Then I guess I would like my parents to have a little pride although I’m not doing it anymore.”

 

“So you’re a swimmer…” Howon guessed.

 

Were, I was forced to quit due to certain condition.” Hyunwoo let out a small smile and then he raised his brows. “So what brings you here?”

 

“Oh,” Howon remembered his initial reason to come over. “Park Seonsaengim asked me to give today’s note and check on your condition.”

 

“Whoa thanks dude.” Hyunwoo grinned and then he asked, “My mother just made me lunch, would you like to join?”

 

Howon raised his brow. “Wouldn’t that be disturbing?”

 

“No of course not, come on.” Hyunwoo tapped his back and led the way to the dining table as they talked about school today.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

There they were again, sitting on the bench where they last time sat together. Eunji was with the donuts while Chanyeol was sipping grape Fanta as he looked around. There were some sights to see; a grandmother with her granddaughter talking on the bench opposite them, a man singing a lullaby for his toddler son, a young man hugged a young woman.

 

This place was full with affection and hope, something that even didn’t exist at his home. What an irony, he thought.

 

“So I’ve been thinking.” Eunji called him out of his reverie. Chanyeol noticed she already took third donut and he just shook his head. “About a bouquet you gave me.”

 

His shoulders tensed. “I don’t want to talk about it—” Chanyeol was about to stand up when Eunji caught his upper arm and made him sit back.

 

“I checked what they meant and it gave me nothing but goosebumps.” Eunji asked. “Peonies, quoting a source I found in the internet, mean love between two strangers.” Eunji blinked at him innocently. “So do you like me Park Chanyeol?”

 

“Bah—”

 

“—because if you do, man you need to line up. There are so many others like you that want to be with me.” Eunji gazed at him.

 

Chanyeol was speechless and he of course didn’t expect to be asked bluntly like this.

 

“Yah, I just gave you a bouquet that Baekhyun bought earlier. I don’t even understand about those meanings, he said that it would be rude to come empty-handed, so bouquet it is. And really…, are you looking for every bouquet’s meanings?” Chanyeol crossed his arms against his chest. “So what are those lavender roses I saw in your room? It seems fresh, the person must be giving you that recently. What, what does it mean?”

 

Chanyeol saw how clearly Eunji’s face turned beet red.

 

She looked away, chewed on her third donut and finished it in one go that got her choking.

 

“Aigoo, aigoo.” Chanyeol handed his drink. “Look at you. One question and you cough. What, was those roses from someone special?” Chanyeol couldn’t continue his teasing and decided to ask, “Can you drink this? Or should I get you something?”

 

Coughing, Eunji nodded and took his Fanta and drank without even thinking twice. It was later, few seconds after her coughs stopped, that she just had indirect kiss with the Giant.

 

Her cheeks blushed and she stood up, surprising the male as she said, “Thank you for the donuts. See you.” and ran away in the speed of light, something that shouldn’t be done by someone that was sick and hospitalized.

 

Chanyeol was so confused with her weird acting, until he decided to finish his Fanta and go home. But he halted, and a thought, similar to Eunji’s earlier, popped into his brain and he gazed at the can, long enough until he realized that he was being stupid.

 

“Wow Park Chanyeol, just wow. What the .”

 

Chanyeol stood up and walked, finding a trash can and threw it inside, with the remaining untouched.

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

It was late afternoon when Kyungsoo stopped by the field to watch his best friend playing.

 

What he found instead was Min Yoongi was drilling himself, running laps nonstop like a lunatic. Kim Jongdae shook his head and told him that Yoongi was being like that because of a certain competition, and Kyungsoo knew exactly which one.

 

So he called Yoongi for a short break and now they were sitting on the bleachers, watching people practicing.

 

“You think I’m being lame right?” Yoongi wondered as he took the bottle from Kyungsoo. “Being so messed up with something that is not even worth it.”

 

“Do you actually know what lame is?” Kyungsoo asked as he took a seat next to his best friend, unlike the brunet that smelled after practicing, Do Kyungsoo was pristine clean.

 

Yoongi waited for his best friend to finish his sarcasm.

 

“Not even trying.” Kyungsoo finished and turned his head to see Yoongi. “Lame is not when you failed winning the girl, lame is when you nag but don’t even try to win her heart; like exactly what you’re doing right now.”

 

“But—” Yoongi was cut off.

 

“—the competition is hard, so what? Kim Jisoo and Park Chanyeol might or might not be serious about her – just like what happened in middle school – so what? At least they fight for her. They know who they like and they make moves for her. It’s something Yoongi, something that you haven’t done so far. You felt terrible upon yourself when Eunji enjoyed the chocolate Chanyeol gave. You felt bad when you realized it was Jisoo that she’s been crushing on. You always feel bad…, but do you ever make your move?” Kyungsoo raised his thick brow, waking Yoongi up from his daydream. “Did you ever make her notice you – aside from the accidental punch on her face, your apology letter, or that hair-coloring? Did you?”

 

Yoongi stilled.

 

“I’m not saying this because I know girls. No I don’t. Meh, I can’t even get my relationship done because it’s too complicated. But dude, at least I show her that I’m into her. I make my moves.” Kyungsoo reminded and Yoongi, although he didn’t mention a name, already pictured a certain female with wide smile and beautiful childish face.

 

Yoongi watched Kyungsoo that now was looking at him, as if he tried to cheer on him.

 

“Make your move.” Kyungsoo suggested and now it sounded like the only rational thing to do. “Make your move before someone else claims her heart. Make your move before her heart was taken away. Make your move before you think about what ifs. Dude, make a ing move and make her see.”

original.jpgoriginal.jpgoriginal.jpg

“Hi!” Eunji greeted him warmly as again Yoongi brought that bouquet of lavender roses. “I really don’t expect Min Yoongi would come visit me so often,” she joked and the male just let out a knowing smile. “Don’t you have practice or stuffs to do? Something better than visiting me?”

 

“Well my team happens to practice really hard in the afternoon and can’t I be curious about your condition? Who knows, you might tell your brothers that I once unintentionally punched you in the face. I need to be careful.” His joke amusingly made Eunji burst into laughter.

 

“What, so you only come here to spy on me?” Eunji narrowed her eyes and laughed again. “Come here, sit.” Eunji invited him to sit the way he sat last time he visited her here.

 

“Where are your brothers and mother?” Yoongi wondered because the room was totally empty, if it wasn’t because the TV on, the room was totally quiet.

 

“My mother had to take care for the administration stuffs with my brother, because the doctor said I could be discharged tomorrow. My eldest one is working and he said he would be here later at night.” Eunji replied clearly, explaining one by one and somehow that made Yoongi felt good.

 

“Wow, what a quick recovery. Are you sure you will be okay to be discharged tomorrow?” Yoongi asked as he watched the female looked amused. Gone the terrified eyes, paled cheeks, and trembling hands, replaced with very thrilled eyes, rosy cheeks, and fisted palms to hold back her excitement.

 

She nodded eagerly at Yoongi and hummed in response. “I will! I’m bored to death here, I’d rather have homework than do nothing.” She pouted because Yoongi just couldn’t take his eyes off of Eunji, so the girl thought he wanted some of her pudding, she reached out to offer that startled him.

 

He shook his head. “No, you have it. I know you’re hungry…”

 

“Huh, I guess I gained some weight here Yoongi. Weird, the food isn’t even tasty but I eat a lot here. This pudding doesn’t even taste sweet!” Eunji clicked her tongue but almost finished the pudding.

 

Yoongi just laughed.

 

“Jung Eunji.” He then called for her complete name.

 

“Hmm?” Eunji’s attention was immersed at the pudding, not knowing that Yoongi was gradually seemed nervous.

 

“Do you know that in our class…,” he trailed off as Eunji gazed at him, blinking blankly. “… There is a certain competition going on?” he finished his question and as expected Jung Eunji raised a brow.

 

“Really, why did I never notice that?” she then seemed interested. “What is the competition? Basketball or soccer or maybe cheerleading…?”

 

Yoongi couldn’t help but snorted at her innocence, something about her he liked was that she was such an oblivious person but very nosy. He took a deep breath before he replied, “So there is this competition going on, recently Park Chanyeol and Kim Jisoo are involved.”

 

“Oh,” Eunji responded. “Is this a smart kids’ competition? Well if that is—” she was cut off.

 

“—the competition is not about something, it’s more likely about someone – a person, a girl.”

 

“OH.” Eunji responded a little louder now. She somewhat remembered about Soobin mentioned that Jisoo was the person that she found attractive, then Jisoo that asked Sungjae to talk to Soobin through Sooyoung, then Chanyeol that was so mad when she picked up Soobin’s shoe.

 

Were they competing for Chae Soobin? Well because if they did, Eunji had no word to comment; she was beautiful with that milky skin and small face, she was super smart, she was the cheerleading squad captain, she was rich, she was this certain aura where she seemingly like an ice cold princess but had a warm heart once you understood her.

 

“And I don’t think you notice but they recently made their moves, that made me see I couldn’t sit back and watched them trying, because I realize something. So I have a question for you.” Yoongi stared intently at Eunji, determined.

 

She waited with a brow raised.

 

“May I join the competition?”

 


April 6th 2018 

Would that be alright if I greet Happy Belated New Year! to you? I know it’s super later than I expected, and I’m sorry for making you all wait so long. I hope in 2018 everyone is healthy and happy, also everything you dream will come true.

I just am so happy to be back; I’ve missed you all so much and I thought that I might not be able to continue this chapter – again I lacked confidence on writing because I really am afraid I can’t satisfy your want.

But anyway, thank you for still reading this! I’m forever thankful and I’m sending all loves you deserve because you know that you’re worth it!