Day 22

Super Christmas

 

In the end, it did not look so bad. After numerous arguments, disagreements, taking on and off, and changing everything a couple of hundred times – as was standard, but still – the Christmas tree was decorated and done.

 

Well, almost done, anyway. As the fifteen members stood around the tree, watching their work in satisfaction, they all realized that something was missing, something very vital.

 

The star.

 

Of course, they always saved the star for last. It was the most important part, the crowning piece on their marvelous handiwork, and it had to be salvaged properly, not just put up in a hurry along with every other decoration on the tree.

 

It had been a tedious process; not to mention all the discussions they had along the way. Despite the years they had done this together, there was still room for arguments. For instance, Heechul and Kangin would argue whether the lights or the garlands went on first. Naturally, Heechul got his will and the lights came on first, just like every other year previously.

 

Sungmin and Kyuhyun, surprisingly, would also have an argument each year, albeit something really weird and awkward; whether or not green baubles were okay to decorate with. Kyuhyun argued that yes, green is a beautiful color and should be treated accordingly, while Sungmin said it did not fit with the tree’s own green color. Kyuhyun would then proceed to call his boyfriend a racist, which the other members found rather peculiar, even for Kyuhyun. Almost every year, the tree would end up with some green baubles anyways, mostly because Kyuhyun snuck out at night to put them up only to spite Sungmin.

 

After being done arguing with Kyuhyun, Sungmin would proceed to have more or less the exact discussion with Donghae regarding the color pink. Fortunately, the fishy always made his point very clear, and the tree stayed un-pinkified all years.

 

Leeteuk, of course, insisted that the color white should be a major point at their tree. Sungmin thought it was too much. Yet the tree was decorated in white.

 

Sungmin was really lousy at discussing colors.

 

Kibum, Yesung and Shindong usually disagreed about the birds Kibum insisted on having at the top of the tree, near the star. He insisted they represented they wildlife and freedom, and that they should be grateful for such a thing at Christmas. Shindong meant they did not fit in with the rest of the décor – that they somehow clashed in theme because they did not look particularly Christmas-sy. Yesung found it perfectly fine to put them at the top of the tree; he only wanted it to be turtles instead of birds.

 

Usually, Yesung won the discussion.

 

For the first time in years, Kibum actually managed to put his birds on top, though that was mainly because Ryeowook forbade Yesung from using his voice to argue any further, and Shindong was busy on the phone with Nari. Which, naturally, left Kibum victorious.

 

Siwon would insist on adding angels to the tree, which Eunhyuk supported, though he said they should buy new ones, because those they had were not all that pretty. Siwon agreed to that, but hung them up anyways. They never bought new angels.

 

In the end, they had all (somewhat) agreed and were looking up at the bright tree, everyone thinking about the exact same thing; the star.

 

Although this year, they were in a bit of a sticky situation; it was tradition that the youngest should put the star on top, just like in most families. Ryeowook had been excited to do it, but his joy was nowhere near Kyuhyun’s near obsessive happiness at the prospect.

 

For some sort of reason no one could quite fathom, Kyuhyun found an excessive, almost erse pleasure in putting the star on top. He would not disclose why this was so, but his gleeful, slightly maniac smile as he balanced on top of a wobbly chair and put the star slowly in its place was enough to silence the older members. Kyuhyun had actually admitted, it was one of the few times he enjoyed being the youngest. The others were, of course, when he could use the innocent maknae card to get out of sticky situations. Or bully his hyungs, whatever was needed at the time.

 

It had actually proven to be quite entertaining to the older members, if only they kept their distance and did not ask too many questions. If they did, Kyuhyun would only snap at them, and show the world why he was called ‘evil maknae’. But as long as they left him to his rather disturbing satisfaction of simply putting a star-shaped figure on top of a tree, he did not bother them. And stayed happy for the rest of the Christmas.

 

But this year, Kyuhyun was not, in fact, the youngest in the house anymore. Henry was, in fact, much younger than him. Although the Chinese-Canadian himself was not aware of the tradition, the rest of the members were, as well as Kyuhyun.

 

They were all slightly tense as the time when the star needed to be put up came. Would Kyuhyun ignore the tradition and simply put it up himself, disappointing his hyungs but satisfying his own random urge? After all, it was not like Henry would be hurt at the action; he did not know of their tradition.

 

Though the older members hoped Kyuhyun would not be that selfish.

 

Deep down, they did not really believe he would be either. Kyuhyun was very kind, even if he occasionally had strange ways of showing it. But then again, the compulsive behavior he showed when it came to decorating the tree was unusual, even for him.

 

It was no telling what would happen. No one dared to do anything, it was Kyuhyun’s move.

 

“Henry.” The silence was interrupted by the resident Korean maknae, and 14 pairs of eyes turned to look at the tall brunette who was currently holding the star. “It’s time to put the star on top of the tree.”

 

The oldest members of Super Junior hurriedly exchanged joyful glances. Was Kyuhyun really going to give up one of his most precious actions for Henry?

 

“Uhm… Okay?” Henry replied uncertainly, looking over at Zhoumi, who only shrugged. “What about it?”

 

“You see,” Kyuhyun explained slowly, taking care to make sure that Henry understood everything in a rare display of patience. “It’s tradition in this house that the youngest shall put the star on top of the three. It’s been me for a while, but you’re only a kid, so I guess it’s your turn.”

 

For those who knew him and were alerted of the situation, a slight undertone of pain was detectable in Kyuhyun’s voice. But his eyes showed an entirely different emotion.

 

As Henry’s face lit up brightly, he accepted the star from Kyuhyun and bowed quickly in thanks. The evil maknae’s eyes were glowing brightly, and even though he clearly missed the privilege himself, it appeared he was also immensely happy to be able to give Henry the pleasure. He could not stop his lips from curving upwards in a smile as he watched the youngest climb up on the chair easily and putting the star on top with as much ease as Kyuhyun had ever done.

 

It made the young Korean very satisfied, for reasons he could not explain himself. Maybe it was… Pride?

 

“It looks good,” Zhoumi commented as Henry got down again. Hankyung nodded with a smile.

 

“Very nice, good job, Henry,” he said, and continued to give a few quick phrases in Chinese that none but the three understood. It made Henry chuckle and lower his head a little, looking up at his oldest gege with an almost embarrassed look.

 

On the other side of the room, Kyuhyun was observing the finally finished Christmas tree in fascination. It looked no different from when he did it; and yet it had felt so different this year. Why? It was exactly the same. Only Henry…

 

A small cough to his right made him look down at Sungmin. His boyfriend was smiling at him in satisfaction, quietly wrapping an arm around his waist. Kyuhyun had to smile back, and put his own arm around the short male’s shoulder.

 

“I’m proud of you,” Sungmin stated lowly. Kyuhyun did not need to ask. He knew why. He knew perfectly well why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I abusing Henry's cuteness, yes I am. ASOLGJSRLGHJPSRJ.

I don't know what to say about this and the previous chapter. And the 20th, for that matter. I'm just trying to fill in the gaps, I guess, but I thought this was a cute scene. And yes, I've overabused Yesung, Kyuhyun, Leeteuk and now, Sungmin. Maybe it's time for EunHae again? No, no making ideas now, I have everything ready for the next chapters. ASDF WHAT A DAY.

Anyways, I hope the amount sort of makes up for the somewhat lacking quality here, but hey, three chapters in a day is not bad, yes? :3 I STILL LOVE YOU. I LOVE YOU. YOU ARE MY LOVELIEST DONGSAENGS/UNNIES (are there even anyone older than me reading this? x3) I find it ridiculously cute and heartwarming when you guys call me unnie, btw. I don't know why, but you are too cute~!

Enough of my ramblings. xD WELL.

The 24th chapter is my definitive favourite, and will be about 10,000 words, so it's the true masterpiece of this fic. Worst thing is, I'm mostly done with it already. >D Please look forward to it!!