Bonus 1

The Seven Year Itch

2 Weeks Later

Minseok rolls over slowly, still aware of the mild pull of his stitches even though he is half-asleep. He reaches out with his arm to snuggle close to his husband only to find that the space is empty.

He sits up, rubbing his eyes to get them better acquainted in the darkness before they glance over to the baby monitor on the side table. He hears Luhan faintly whispering to the baby, and he can’t help but smile.

It seems like Luhan certainly hasn’t lost his touch when it comes to taking care of their newborn. Minseok realizes he didn’t even wake up to Kyungsoo’s crying this time.

He glances at the clock which reads an ungodly 3:33am and sighs, deciding he might as well go check up on the two since he’s already awake. He carefully gets out of bed, not taking any chances of ripping his healing stitches as he makes his way to Kyungsoo’s nursery.

He walks in, standing in front of Luhan for a good two minutes with an amused expression. The other hasn’t even noticed him, too absorbed in the way Kyungsoo is napping peacefully in his arms.

“Whatcha lookin’ at?” he asks, chuckling when Luhan jerks his head up in surprise.

“Minnie,” he whispers, “what’re you doing up?”

“Couldn’t sleep,” Minseok shrugs, holding his arms out for the tiny infant and placing a kiss on his forehead before settling down on top of Luhan’s lap. He relaxes with his back against the sturdy chest, leaning his head back on Luhan’s shoulder and closing his eyes. He revels in the tranquility of his husband’s slow breathing as the latter wraps his arms around them and places a small kiss on his neck.

“I love this,” Luhan says quietly against his skin, pressing his lips there once more.

“I love you,” replies Minseok, turning his head slightly so that their lips meet instead, both slotting them together lazily.

“I forgot how nice having a baby was,” says Luhan between the kisses, “Kyungsoo is perfect.”

Minseok smiles as he pulls on Luhan’s lower lip. “Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can. We only have a few more hours.”

Luhan pulls back with a groan and settles his head in the junction of Minseok’s neck. “Why did you have to remind me?”

“Our other son deserves some attention too.”

“I think he’s been getting plenty of it with his antics.”

“He’s just feeling…a little pushed aside. He was an only child for seven years, of course he’s going to act up just a bit.”

“Seven years…” murmurs Luhan, before he stiffens. “Oh my God, seven years!”

Minseok simply snorts as he rocks Kyungsoo gently back and forth.

“Minnie…he’s officially seven,” whines Luhan, pointing at the digital clock that is clearly past midnight. “He’s getting older.”

Minseok doesn’t answer. Instead, he simply leans in and plants a peck on his cheeks, wondering who the real baby in the room is—the two week old newborn or Luhan being dramatic over Sehun’s birthday.

***

The birthday party is wild to say the least.

Sehun is dressed smartly in his Superman outfit which he insisted upon when his eyes landed on it at the store. Luckily, his daddy was all for the idea of making it a themed superhero birthday party. Sehun honestly just wanted the cool costume.

He’s running around in the backyard, giggling and playing tag with his friends from his class, all dressed in various superhero costumes. Turning seven is the best thing that has ever happened in his life.

And Kyungsoo coming to live with them has been the worst.

Sehun was excited at first, having a smaller brother to play with. He wasn’t sure what the title of older brother exactly entailed, but he didn’t think it meant having to give up half of everything he had. His parents, his uncle and cousin, his baby toys, his sanity. Yes, seven year olds were aware of their sanity. Especially when a miniature human wailed and screamed loudly whenever he played with him.

So Sehun stopped playing with Kyungsoo because the baby didn’t like him. He wouldn’t keep crying if he did. As the days went on, Sehun started noticing how his dads were always tending to Kyungsoo, always feeding him and rocking him. Sehun wanted to be fed too, but his dads always told him how he was a big boy now and he was capable of doing it himself. He wanted to be picked up and held, but either Kyungsoo was always there being held or his dads told him they were too tired at the moment.

Either way, Sehun didn’t like it one bit. Sehun didn’t like Kyungsoo one bit. He wondered when they would send the little boy back from where they got him. He just wanted his old life back, the one where all the attention and love was given to him.

But today, it’s Sehun’s birthday. He remembers his past birthdays so he knows it’s an important occasion because on this day, his dads shower him with a lot of love and presents. Especially presents.

He spots his dad greeting a man he has never seen before, but the huge present in his hands has him welcoming the guy with open arms. He runs over to them, tugging on his dad’s pants as he eyes the stranger. “Dad, that big gift is for me?”

His dad laughs as the stranger answers him instead. “Yes, that’s for you, Sehun. Happy Birthday,” he smiles, and Sehun is really starting to like this man with the dimple. “My name is Yixing. I work with your dad at his office.”

“Thank you,” he says shyly before his eyes land on a little boy hiding behind Yixing’s legs. “Who’s that?”

“Oh,” says Yixing, bringing the boy out from behind. The little boy is dressed in a dinosaur costume which makes Sehun wonder which superhero he is. “This is my son, Chen. He’s a year younger than you and—”

“Chen?” asks Sehun, his eyes bulging out comically. “I had a lizard named Chen! But he ran away when I took him for a walk outside.”

Chen looks up and gives Sehun a toothy smile, “I love lizards.”

Instantly, Sehun is hooked. Chen is officially the coolest six year old ever. “Let’s go play!” he squeals, grabbing the boy by the hand and running off to the other kids still running around.

“I was worried for a second,” laughs Yixing as he watches the two go off together. “Chen is extremely shy so I was wondering if he would have a good time.”

“With Sehun around, there’s always some kind of amusement,” chuckles Luhan, placing the present on the table with the others. “Thanks for coming, by the way. I thought Chen would enjoy some company with the kids.”

“Of course! I also have to meet the new baby,” says Yixing excitedly, following after Luhan who leads them towards the small infant.

Kyungsoo is being bottle fed by Kris, who looks up at the two as they approach him. “Your boy is draining the hell out of this bottle,” he says to Luhan before glancing over at the newcomer. The man gives him a dimpled smile, and Kris feels himself freeze up.

“Of course he is, he needs to eat so he can be taller than you,” retorts Luhan before turning to Yixing. “This idiot is my brother-in-law. I call him an idiot because even with his own business and a brain full of smarticles, he’s the most awkward person you’ll ever meet.”

“Thanks,” mutters Kris, trying not to blush in front of the cute newcomer.

“Anytime! Anyway, I need to go check on Minseok and the food. I’ll be right back.”

As Luhan trails off and Yixing takes a seat beside him, Kris begins to feel his face heat up.

“He’s a really good baby, isn’t he?” asks Yixing, leaning over to poke Kyungsoo’s cheek. The infant stares up at him wide-eyed but continues on the bottle.

“H-He is,” stutters Kris and he almost wants to punch himself for it. Luhan is right, he is awkward. And hopeless.

“Do you have any kids, Kris?” asks Yixing with another smile, and Kris swears he could just drown in that dimple. He immediately shakes his head at the ridiculous thought because he just met the guy.

“No?”

“No…I mean, yes! Yes, I have a child,” sputters Kris, hoping he isn’t crashing and burning too badly. “He’s around here somewhere in a Deadpool costume…”

Yixing laughs, and Kris swears it’s the most angelic noise he’s ever had the pleasure of hearing. “Oh, then your spouse must be here too.”

Kris shakes his head at this, “Nope, no spouse for me. I am forever alone.” He instantly regrets opening his big mouth. He almost wishes someone was feeding him so he wouldn’t be able to talk. Kyungsoo is probably rolling his tiny little eyeballs at his uncle’s cringe worthiness. Forever alone…oh my God, please take me.

Instead, he hears Yixing chuckle again. “We’re in the same boat then. Forever alone.”

And this time, Kris definitely sees the gates of Heaven opening and the angels singing him a lullaby.

***

Sehun and his friends are playing hide-n-seek now, after stuffing their bellies full of delicious icing because who cares about the actual cake underneath?

He, Tao, and Chen have been hiding in the coat closet for about fifteen minutes now and they’re starting to get really bored.

“I saw your little brother, Sehun,” speaks up Chen, not caring if the other kids could hear them because he just really wants to be caught now and finish the round. “He’s very cute!”

“He’s not cute,” mumbles Sehun, not wanting to discuss the new intruder in his life. Especially not on his birthday.

“He’s so small but his eyes are so big! He’s totally cute,” Chen says again, but frowns when he hears Sehun grumble.

“He doesn’t like Kyungsoo very much,” explains Tao when Sehun lets out another annoyed sigh.

“But why?”

“I don’t know,” shrugs Tao, “I think Kyungsoo is cute too.”

Sehun shakes his head at the two, knowing that they won’t understand the troubles he’s been experiencing with the baby. “You’re lucky you guys don’t have a brother to share everything with.”

“But I want a brother,” they both say in unison before looking at each other and laughing.

“You can have mine,” says Sehun bluntly, opening the door and walking out to end the round. He suddenly doesn’t feel like playing anymore.

***

It’s when the guests have left, and the only people remaining are his family, and Yixing and Chen—who stayed a little longer on the account of his uncle asking them to—Sehun begins to open his presents. He immediately attacks the biggest one, the one Yixing brought, and sends the nice man a smile.

“Hold on, let me go get the camera,” says Minseok, getting up to go search for it.

“Hurry up, daddy!”

The others laugh, and Sehun begins to feel his heart warm up. He’s finally getting their attention again, and he feels absolutely giddy on the inside. What’s even better is that Kyungsoo is nowhere in sight, probably sleeping upstairs like usual.

“Okay, dig in!” says Minseok happily as he returns, snapping as many pictures as he can while Sehun begins ripping the wrapping paper.

The toddler squeals loudly when he opens up a large box set of Lego’s, already thinking up stuff he can make out of it. “Thank you, Uncle Yixing!” He hugs the male tightly before jumping back to his other presents.

He opens various stuffed animals, toys, and money—Sehun would prefer receiving more toys instead of that useless thing. Either way, he can’t wait to play with all of them.

But then his dad suddenly opens his mouth and dampens his mood. “You and Kyungsoo will have a lot of fun with those, Sehun.”

Sehun remains quiet, twirling a piece of wrapping paper between his fingers because no, he doesn’t want to have fun with Kyungsoo. These are his toys, not his brother’s. When it’s Kyungsoo’s birthday, he can get his own toys and play with those. “No, only I get to play with these.”

Luhan and Minseok frown, looking at their son who’s pouting.

“Sehun don’t be like that. He’s your brother,” says Minseok, crouching down in front of the toddler.

“I don’t want a brother. Take him back.”

Minseok sighs. He knows Sehun hasn’t been acting his best around Kyungsoo, and he knows his son is probably feeling jealous of the divided attention, but he doesn’t know what else to say to show Sehun that everyone still loves him equally. They’ve been trying their best to include Sehun in everything, but apparently his toddler thinks otherwise.

“You guys take care of him, I’ll go show Yixing and Chen the door…” says Kris, getting up and leaving the awkward atmosphere with the pair as fast as he can.

Luhan drops down to get face-to-face with Sehun as well. “Baby, we can’t just take Kyungsoo back. He’s our son just as much as you are.”

“But I was here first,” mumbles Sehun.

“Yes, but—”

“Then why do you spend more time with him?”

“He’s a baby. He can’t take care of himself yet so we have to do it for him,” says Minseok, feeling his heart drop as a tear makes its way down Sehun’s chubby cheeks. He reaches out with his hand to wipe it.

“You don’t like me anymore.” Sehun’s lower lip wobbles dangerously and they both know he’s trying his best not to burst out crying.

Luhan gathers the toddler in his embrace, patting his back slowly as Sehun finally begins sobbing into the crook of his neck. “We love you, Sehun.”

“No, you love Kyungsoo more,” he wails, voice muffled yet just as heartbreaking.

“We love you the same,” says Minseok, flinching when he hears Kyungsoo begin to cry out from upstairs.

How did this fun-filled day end up in both of his kids crying? Minseok doesn’t want to leave but he figures he should go see what woke Kyungsoo up while Sehun’s cuddled in Luhan’s embrace. The infant was just put to sleep a little over an hour ago.

“Daddy will be right back,” he says reassuringly before making his way upstairs.

“See? He hates me! As soon as Kyungsoo starts crying, daddy leaves me to go to him.”

“He’ll be right back, Sehun. He needs to take of Kyungsoo too, right?” asks Luhan, sighing because not even a whole day dedicated to his little boy made him happy. He wonders what more he can possibly do.

Sehun doesn’t reply. Instead, he only cries harder until exhaustion from the hectic day kicks in and Luhan takes him to bed.

***

Sehun awakens slowly. He’s glad it’s summer break so he doesn’t have to worry about getting ready for school. He hates waking up so early anyway.

He looks around his room, his new toys from yesterday lining the wall across his bed and the sight makes him smile. He leaps out of bed and goes straight for the Lego’s, deciding on building a cool spaceship.

He plays quietly for a while before he realizes his dads didn’t come to wake him up. He makes his way to the door, peeking his head out but is met with silence. They didn’t leave him because of his bad behavior yesterday, did they? The thought makes him anxious as he steps out and goes downstairs.

“Daddy?” he calls out in a small voice. Why is no one there?

Thankfully the quiet hum of the television calms him down, spotting his Uncle Kris lounging across the sofa and munching on a granola bar.

“Hey, kiddo you’re up early.”

“I always wake up at this time,” replies Sehun, going over and crawling on top until he’s seated fully on Kris’s back.

“Really? Tao lied to me then.”

“How?”

“He said that kids are allowed to sleep in until 12pm.”

No Uncle Kris! That’s just Tao being lazy,” giggles Sehun.

“Huh…probably,” agrees Kris. “Maybe I should go wake him up then. I told him he could sleep a little longer since we woke up early to come here.”

“Why? Where’s daddy?”

“Your dad had to go to the hospital, Sehun,” says Kris. “Kyungsoo got really sick last night and he wasn’t breathing very properly.”

“Oh,” is all Sehun replies with.

 

It isn’t until a few hours later when Sehun is sitting in the car with Uncle Kris and Tao that he begins to feel just the tiniest amount of guilt.

People only go to the hospital when they’re really, really sick and if Kyungsoo is there, then that must mean he’s really sick.

“Will Kyungsoo be okay?” he asks in small voice. Kyungsoo is so tiny, what if he doesn’t get better?

Kris smiles as he turns to answer him. “Minseok said he’s doing better than before.”

“Okay.”

As they walk into the same unit Sehun was in just two weeks ago for Kyungsoo’s birth, he looks around the neonatal ward. There’s a huge glass window of a room that’s filled with tiny babies. Sehun goes and presses his face against the window, shocked at how many of them there are.

He wonders if they all have older brothers too, since he is one himself.

“Uncle Kris, are they like Kyungsoo too?”

Kris doesn’t quite understand what Sehun means by that, but agrees anyway. “Yup, they’re all waiting to go home to their new families.”

“They can’t go home if they’re sick, right?”

“No, then they have to stay here until they get better.”

Sehun feels the guilt from earlier grow slightly larger. He doesn’t want to admit, but he’s kind of scared now. He wanted Kyungsoo to go back where he came from, but looking around the place he realizes Kyungsoo doesn’t belong here.

There’s no one here that Kyungsoo would recognize if he stayed. He would be afraid.

Upon walking into the room, Minseok scoops him up in his arms and hugs him tightly. Sehun can see how tired his daddy looks because his eyes are drooping and red. And when he glances over to where Kyungsoo is resting, the sight of wires and tubes really gets to him.

That’s not how Kyungsoo should be. He should be at home resting in his new crib. Sehun begins sobbing because he knows it’s all his fault. If he hadn’t wished for Kyungsoo to leave, then his little brother wouldn’t be stuck there. Kyungsoo is sick and it’s all because of him.

Minseok gently pats him on the back. “It’s okay, Sehun. Kyungsoo is doing a lot better now.”

“I’m sorry…” he sniffles. “I don’t want him to be here. I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s not your fault, baby. He probably caught a cold yesterday since we had all those kids over, and he’s a newborn so he’s still really weak.”

“Can he come home with us?”

“Of course, just as soon as the doctors say he’s good to go.”

“Okay. Kyungsoo should be at home with us. We’re his family, right?”

Minseok smiles at his seven year old, planting a kiss on his forehead as he nods.

“Yes, we’re his family.”