Bonus 13

The Seven Year Itch

1 Year

Early mornings are a blur.

With Minseok rushing to get ready for work, making sure Kyungsoo is presentable for daycare, making sure Sehun is awake and getting dressed for school, ensuring that breakfast is made before Lu Han leaves, and trying to get them all out of the house in time—it should be an Olympic sport, and Minseok would take gold every morning.

Kyungsoo is fussier than ever, the little toddler proceeding to run around in his diaper while Minseok runs after him with a change of clothes in his hand.

“Kyungsoo, we’re going to be late!” he tries to reason, watching as the little devil tries to squeeze into the small space between the wall and the dresser.

“Fu—”

“You say that word one more time and I will not be happy,” Minseok says in his strictest voice possible, however the pleading look on his face gives him away and Kyungsoo smiles mischievously before trying to crawl behind the furniture again.

“What’s going on?” asks Lu Han, emerging from the shower steam from their bathroom.

Minseok turns to him, pushing Kyungsoo’s clothes to his chest. “Change your son,” he orders before walking out of the room.

He makes his way toward Sehun’s room, knocking before opening the door. The fact that he now has to knock on his son’s room disheartens him, after having been told by Sehun himself that he wishes for more privacy.

What does an eight year old boy need privacy for anyway? Minseok thinks it’s preposterous. Sehun explains it’s a part of growing up. And Minseok refuses to acknowledge that.

“Sehun, are you ready for school?”

Sehun turns to flash his daddy a soft smile before nodding his head, turning once more to the mirror to make sure he looks sharp before heading to the kitchen for breakfast.

Minseok looks after him, wanting to squeal at how handsome his young son looks in his school blazer and crisp tie, and hair styled up the way Lu Han taught him—but Sehun’s forbid him from doing that because “Daddy, it’s embarrassing”.

Minseok doesn’t think it’s embarrassing to shower his child with love and adoration, but for Sehun’s sake he will refrain. For now.

He meets them all in the kitchen, relieved that Kyungsoo is dressed and already halfway through breakfast, and somewhat proud that Lu Han remembered to put a bib on so he won’t smear it all over his clothes.

“Sehun, your dance recital is coming up, right? This Friday?” asks Lu Han, handing Minseok a plate as he takes a seat.

“Yes, dad,” Sehun answers, neatly cutting his sausage into small pieces, unlike his maniac brother who’s busy trying to mash and fling his bits of eggs everywhere.

“Okay, I’ll make sure to leave work early that day,” he says before turning to wipe Kyungsoo’s face before the boy manages to get bits stuck in his hair like last time.

“Oh yeah, your recital! How did I forget?” Minseok ponders, pulling out his calendar app and checking for the reminder. “I can leave work early that day too and—”

“It’s okay…” Sehun cuts in, “You don’t have to leave early just for that.”

Minseok and Lu Han both share a look before he turns to Sehun once more.

“But I want to, it’s my baby’s recital and you bet I will be there cheering you on,” Minseok smiles, even though his voice shakes slightly.

“We’re both going to be there, Sehun,” Lu Han says gently, sending Minseok a reassuring look when he sees his husband’s eyes beginning to gloss over.

“Fine,” Sehun groans, shoving the rest of his breakfast down his throat before getting up and retrieving his backpack. “My bus is almost here,” he says, waving his parents goodbye before heading out the door.

As soon as the door shuts, Minseok lets out a whine.

“You heard that?! My baby said he doesn’t want me at his recital!”

“Minnie, I’m sure he didn’t mean it like that,” Lu Han tries to do damage control but Minseok only yells louder.

“MY SON HATES ME! HE’S SHUTTING ME OUT!” Minseok cries out, huffing and puffing his way around the kitchen as he cleans up the dishes and puts the food away. He’s still complaining loudly about how “he’s losing his firstborn” and how “Sehun only loves one of his dads”, and Lu Han feels bad for him.

Once Minseok leaves to go put on his shoes so they can get going, Lu Han sighs as he picks up Kyungsoo.

“,” he mumbles, knowing Minseok’s feeling hurt and deciding he’s going to have to have a talk with Sehun about it later.

He’s about to exit the kitchen when he hears a faint “”, and he stares at Kyungsoo incredulously.

“Seriously?!” Lu Han almost smacks his forehead against the fridge. “Do you only pick up the bad words from me?”

“,” Kyungsoo repeats with a sly grin on his tiny lips.

Lu Han’s in deep indeed.

***

With Kyungsoo’s rendition of the word “” mixed with a few “s” here and there, Lu Han knows he’s about to get his handed to him by his husband.

However, he realizes Minseok is still upset with the situation from earlier when his husband doesn’t even flinch at the sound of the words. He simply stares off into the television screen, letting Kyungsoo run around wreaking havoc .

Lu Han picks up their youngest as he comes flying towards his legs, struggling to hold him properly as he removes his shoes and steps into the living room.

“Hey, baby,” he says, leaning to press a kiss to Minseok’s cheek before plopping down on the couch beside him.

“Hey,” Minseok mutters, still staring mindlessly at the TV.

Lu Han lets go of Kyungsoo, whose energy seems to know no bounds. He decides the little rascal will tire himself out soon and go to bed early, so he lets him be.

“Minnie?” he calls, frowning when he barely gets a reaction from his husband. “Kyungsoo just peed on the carpet,” he lies, but Minseok doesn’t even turn to look, and that’s when Lu Han decides it’s bad.

“Okay,” he sighs, getting up and heading upstairs where Sehun’s room is located. He needs to get to the bottom of this.

He knocks on his son’s door, receiving an answer and promptly opening to go inside.

“Hey, dad,” Sehun greets before returning to work on his homework.

“Hey there,” Lu Han says, shutting the door and walking over to the eight year old. He takes a seat on his bed and watches quietly for a few seconds as Sehun concentrates hard at solving the division problem in front of him.

Once he figures out the answer, Sehun turns to him with a smile. “This stuff is easy,” he says, and Lu Han ruffles his hair fondly.

“Sehun?”

His son looks at him with a questioning glance.

“Is everything okay, buddy?”

“Yeah, dad. Why, what’s up?”

“Because you’re sitting here in your room all alone. Are you okay?”

Sehun takes a minute before replying. “I’m fine. It’s just…”

Lu Han waits expectantly, watching how his son is trying to come up with words to explain himself and he feels dumb for not realizing sooner that there was something going on with him.

“Well, I have to work on my homework and Kyungsoo is really loud and—and daddy is downstairs…”

“Why does it matter if daddy is downstairs?”

Sehun fidgets with the hem of his shirt. “I—I’m—”

What happens next is what Lu Han least expects. Sehun starts crying, and Lu Han doesn’t waste a second wrapping him in his arms, holding his son close to his chest. He lets the eight year old sob into his shirt for a few minutes before he speaks up again.

“Baby, tell me what’s wrong,” he asks, rubbing Sehun’s back gently as the sobs turn into small whimpers.

“I’m sorry,” Sehun says with a look so pitiful Lu Han can feel his heart hurting. “I’m bad, aren’t I?”

“Why do you say that? Why are you bad?”

“Because I hurt daddy’s feelings, and now he hates me,” Sehun sobs again, and Lu Han begins piecing the situation together.

“Daddy doesn’t hate you.”

“He does! But it’s my fault.”

“Because of what you said this morning?”

Sehun nods, rubbing some of his snot into Lu Han’s chest, and Lu Han tries not to freak out at the cold sensation of it seeping through to touch his skin.

“Why did you say it then?”

“Because when daddy came to the last recital, he kept cheering and yelling so loudly, and all the kids made fun of me for it after. They kept saying that I’m a daddy’s boy.”

“And that hurt your feelings?”

Sehun nods again, and Lu Han tries to keep all his swearing to the confines of his mind, lest he subject his other child to cuss words. He’s already ruined one’s innocence.

That still doesn’t stop him from wanting to teach all the other kids a lesson, but he can’t do that. He’s not their parent, he’s Sehun’s, and it’s his job to teach him as best as he can so his son can stand up for himself next time. He just has to make sure his son knows better, and it starts by apologizing to the first person he’s hurt with his words.

“Sehun, you know how the kids hurt your feelings?”

“Yes.”

“That’s the same way you hurt daddy’s feelings. What you said wasn’t very nice, and it made daddy upset. He’s not mad at you, he’s hurt.”

“Oh?” Sehun says in a small voice, and Lu Han hopes his son gets the gist of what he’s trying to explain.

“He cheers and yells so much because he’s so proud of you. Seeing you dance makes him happy, and I know you might feel a bit suffocated with the way he’s always hovering over you, but that’s just the way he shows how much he loves you. He’s your biggest fan.”

Sehun smiles understandingly. And Lu Han knows his eight year old, growing boy understands because he suddenly leaps off his lap and exclaims, “I love daddy too!”

He then proceeds to rush out of his room and down the stairs where Minseok is still sitting while Kyungsoo is now knocked out in his arms, still just as as the day he was born.

Sehun flies into Minseok’s arms as well, squeezing himself against Kyungsoo, who simply kicks out his legs in his sleep.

“Sehun?” Minseok asks, looking down at the boy who’s trying to climb into his lap now. He gently moves Kyungsoo away and settles him onto the couch before wrapping his arms around the boy. It’s been a while since he picked him up, and he finally sees what Sehun’s been talking about all this time.

His boy is not so little anymore, and the realization brings tears to his eyes.

Sehun hugs him tightly, then leaning back and saying, “I love you,” before hugging him again.

Minseok feels a sudden weight lift off his chest, and it feels like he can finally breathe.

“I’m sorry, daddy,” Sehun mumbles into his neck, and Minseok can’t help but melt. He pulls him closer, muttering I love you’s back. He figures he’ll get the full story from Lu Han later, so for now he’s just going to enjoy the little time he has cuddling with Sehun before his son goes back to being a growing boy who’s embarrassed by hugs and kisses.

 

 

Eventually, Sehun retires back to his room because he has school in the morning. Minseok picks up a still snoozing Kyungsoo, while Lu Han follows in tow to their room.

“You might want to put a diaper on him,” Lu Han says as they go up the stairs.

“Why? Because he might accidentally ?

Lu Han gulps nervously. He’s a dead man tonight.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a/n - ahhh i love writing baby soo lol i hope you liked this bonus! next one will hopefully include kray and their antics