Bonus 12

The Seven Year Itch

Bonus 12

12 Months

Kyungsoo finds himself being dropped off at his uncle’s day care, and he couldn’t be more excited. He waves bye to his daddy before crawling over to his favorite section, the big blocks. He doesn’t really do much except stack two and then toss them off before stacking again, but it’s so much fun.

He’s barely learning to stand on his own, his wobbly knees shaking before he lands on his bum but that doesn’t stop him from trying.

Those are his goals for today, block stacking and standing for more than ten seconds on his own.

Kyungsoo busies himself, not caring so much for other kids because they cry too much. He doesn’t like the loud, whiny sounds and the snot running down their nose, he simply has no patience for it.

However, it’s when a particularly shrill cry breaks through his concentration that has him looking around for the source of the sound. He scowls when his large, round eyes land on a tiny boy being consoled in his father’s arms.

He watches the crybaby cling onto his dad’s shirt while screaming bloody murder as his uncle Baekhyun tries to pry the boy away.

“I’m sorry, Jongin, but dad has to go in for work today. I’ll be back really soon, okay?”

The little boy only cries harder, separation anxiety kicking in full gear. Kyungsoo almost feels pity for the sad thing.

Once uncle Baekhyun manages to hold onto Jongin, Kyungsoo returns to his block stacking. It isn’t long before he senses a presence nearby, and he turns to look, only to be staring back at the snotty, red face of the crybaby from earlier.

“Kyungsoo, this is Jongin. He’s new today so you have to play with him and make him feel better, okay?”

Kyungsoo has a few words in mind to reply but doesn’t know how to say them all in a coherent manner. “No,” is the one he replies with, effectively summing up his feelings.

“Aw, don’t be like that Soo,” Baekhyun says, placing a sniffling Jongin down on the mat beside Kyungsoo, only to have the boy cling onto his shirt for dear life. “Jongin is only eight months old, and this is a scary place for him. We have to make him feel comfortable.”

Kyungsoo glances at Jongin, noticing with a frown how pitiful Jongin looks. His eyes are red, his nose is red, his ears are red, everything is red. He’s one ugly baby.

“No,” he says again before returning to his blocks.

A few minutes pass with Baekhyun struggling to peel Jongin off his body while the eight-month old screams into his ear. Kyungsoo quietly seethes on the inside as his uncle Baekhyun betrays him and leaves the boy beside him, who’s now lying on the mat pathetically wailing into it.

“Shh, ,” Kyungsoo says pointedly, putting a finger to his lips as he glares at Jongin the best he can. “Shh.”

Jongin only cries harder.

Ten minutes later, Kyungsoo smacks his blocks away and turns fully toward the boy who’s whimpering out small whispers of “Dad”, and crawls towards him. He crawls in very close to the other and reaches out a hand to poke one of his chubby cheeks.

“No,” Kyungsoo says sternly, poking Jongin’s cheek repeatedly. “No.”

Jongin pauses in his whining to stare up at the small framed toddler before scrunching up his eyes again and crying out, “Dad!”

“, Jon-ni,” Kyungsoo says, “Jig-nog, stop.”

Dad…” sniffles Jongin again.

“Jingle, no.”

Dad.

“No, Jog-in.”

Jongin hiccups as he turns to his side before pushing himself up to sit. One hand comes up to swat Kyungsoo’s tiny finger away. His lips form a pout and he rubs his fists into his eyes. “No?”

Kyungsoo nods his head. “No,” he reaffirms, sitting quietly beside the boy who’s still rubbing his eyes. “Nini?”

Jongin stops and looks to Kyungsoo, who’s holding one block out for him. Jongin reaches forward with both hands, taking hold of it and staring at it curiously.

“Play?” he asks Jongin, who glances up at him with wide eyes once more.

Jongin holds out the block, waving it up and down before dropping it near Kyungsoo’s feet. Kyungsoo grabs it and stacks two together, waiting patiently. Jongin takes one look at the tower before smacking it to the side, and Kyungsoo bursts out into a giggle.

Jongin joins in with a toothy grin of his own, and Kyungsoo quickly builds another one, both laughing as Jongin slaps it away.

They continue to play like that until it’s time to go home, Jongin becoming extremely excited when he spots his father coming to pick him up. Kyungsoo also breaks out into a smile when his daddy lifts him and presses kisses all over his face.

Before leaving, Kyungsoo waves Jongin bye, the latter smiling as he leaves with his dad. And Kyungsoo can’t wait for tomorrow when he gets to play again with his new friend, Nini.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a/n - some fluffy baby kaisoo to make up for my absence? thank you guys for reading!