Love & Pain

Tainted Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 




love & pain.
   The basketball team finished their practice for the upcoming match just in time for recess. For days ever since two weeks ago, it had always been the same; they were all often called by their coach in the middle of class to gather at the gym all set and ready in their basketball jerseys. It was definitely a hard situation to put up with whenever they came back for classes; always having to always ask their classmates about what they had missed during the time they were gone. And to put up with the fact that the year end finals were getting closer, a lot of the members found it hard to catch up with school work on top of all their practice sessions. The seniors in the team found it the hardest out of all the other members considering how they had to prepare for the graduation exams that would determine their universities as well. They knew that the exams were just around the corner, and all they had to do was wait in preparation until it comes knocking at their door.

Just like the rest, whenever Chanyeol came back from practice, he didn't have much free time to do anything that he wishes. There was always stacks of homework he had to finish in a certain period of time and although he hardly finds the question given to be hard, Chanyeol often felt too tired to think. He would mostly choose to leave his work piled up at his desk while he either falls asleep on the living room couch or end up eating instant meals in the kitchen.

Though, there was always an exception for Yoona. Whenever Chanyeol felt tired, she would often come over to accompany him, sometimes even help cook him dinner — completely ignoring the fact that sometimes, she was tired as well. By seeing the soft smiles she would flash at him every few moments, Chanyeol would feel like all the pain and aching inside his body suddenly wash away, just like how all the dizziness in Yoona's head vanishes whenever Chanyeol brings up classic jokes to fill the room up with laughter.

This recess, Suho had called the basketball team's eleventh graders to meet up at their cafeteria table to discuss about a certain plan that he was sure would definitely build up his younger teammates' moods. And so after ordering the Thursday meal of tteokbukki and chocolate pudding, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Chen gathered together at the table just like how their school president had ordered.

"What's up, Hyung?" Chen greeted Suho with a question when he arrived at the table.

Suho who wasn't having anything for lunch folded his arms on top of the table and eyed each of his friends with a smirk. This small gesture of his lead to the youngers' curiosity growing larger and larger.

"I've got some good news," Suho announced as the smirk was still playing along his lips.

The four boys who were now oftenly teased and called as the beagle line, plus doe-eyed Kyungsoo automatically had their eyebrows narrowed in sync. It was very rare of Suho to suddenly call them in the middle of school hours to gather together like this and so after hearing that there was going to be some good news, their focuses were then fully aimed towards their hyung and towards where the topic might be going.

"You changed the cafeteria's daily menu?" Chanyeol asked with full hopes.

"Nope."

Baekhyun twisted his lips. "You made a rule of no more pop quizes?"

"Wrong again, although... that actually might be a good idea."

"Of course it'll be a good idea!" Baekhyun exclaimed in a super-duper agreeing voice.

"But nooo, that's not what I'm going to talk about." Suho eyed his juniors with expecting gazes once again. "Come on guys, guess!"

"Yeonjoo High's basketball team bailed out so we won't have to practice for the upcoming match and head straight on to the finals?"

"No! Chen—what? That's stupid," Suho muttered in frustration. He took a deep breath to build up the words before a smile crept up on his previously fed up face. "You eleventh graders are going on an overseas field-trip."

"OH MY GOD—"

"—Be quiet," Suho whispered to Baekhyun in a scolding tone. "Nobody knows about this yet, not even the school body council."

"But then how come you're telling us?" Chanyeol asked as he took a spoonful of what was on his plate.

"Well, I haven't exactly found the best location for it yet, so that's why I called you guys here. Where do you want to go?"

Baekhyun tapped onto the table with his spoon, causing all the attention to draw to him. "Can we go somewhere warm? It's so cold in Korea and I feel like I really miss the sun."

"You idiot. We still see the sun everyday," Kyungsoo retorted.

"Shut up. I didn't ask for your opinion."

". That wasn't an opinion; that was a fact."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and looked back down at his food. "Whatever."

Chen sighed before shifting his gaze from the two boys back to the hyung in front of him. "How about Bali?"

"Bali as in Indonesia?" Suho asked just to make sure.

Chen nodded.

"I agree!" Baekhyun complied with wide eyes full of excitement. "Hyori from Sistar just did a photoshoot there."

"And your point is?" Kyungsoo asked with narrowed eyebrows.

"My point is, I want to do a photoshoot there too."

"Holy Byun Baekhyun you're idea is amazing! It's been a while since I last updated my instagram too."

Baekhyun sent a mischievous smirk towards Chanyeol in which the latter replied with one as well. On the other side of the table, Kyungsoo, Suho and Chen ended up face palming themselves.

"Are you sure about Bali?" Suho asked one last time just for the sake of assurance.

"Hell yeah!" Baekhyun and Chanyeol exclaimed in unison.

Chen had just finished his plate of cold tteokbukki as he pushed the platter away from him and folded his arms on the table. "Yeah, Bali would surely be nice."

"How about you, Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo nodded with pursed lips. He put his chopsticks down and looked at Chanyeol and Baekhyun who were eyeing him with anticipation. "I guess anywhere with my friends would be fine. But question is... when are we going?"

Suho took out his iPhone 8 from his pocket before swiping his finger around it with a serious expression playing on his face. It wasn't long until his expression changed back to normal as he then showed his friends what was on his phone's display screen.

"I've decided that the trip will be held after your mid-terms but I'm haven't decided if we should put it before or after the school ball."

"We have a school ball?" Chanyeol asked in amazement.

The rest of the boys ended up looking at him in annoyance. Chanyeol looked back at them and blinked innocently. "What? My old school never had school balls."

  ▲▼▲▼

Yoona went up towards her house's wooden porch and quickly placed her umberella wide open outside the front door to let it down to dry. She took off her soaking wet shoes before entering her house with small drops of rain dripping from the ends of her hair.

Over the past few days, the rain has been constantly hitting their suburb making many people end up having to either stop or delay their outdoor activities. It's also been quiet a while since the last time Yoona had a chance to be around her boyfriend considering how the exams were coming up in just a few more weeks and neither of them wanted each other to catch a cold due to having to run out in the rain.

Chanyeol had also been occupied with his basketball practice these days to the point they couldn't meet each other at school as regularly as they used to. Truthfully, Yoona didn't have any problem with how everything was turning out, but at times when she was left all alone in her room, she still couldn't stop her mind from demanding things that could harm her.

The only thing that was keeping her together was the thought of being able to see Chanyeol the next day, even if it was only for a few minutes.

Yoona's parents had also been busy with their own schedule leading up to the house being mainly empty for the day. Her father's company had just signed up to an agreement with a car distributor in Japan making him have to double the amount of papers to finish off which ended up with him coming home at a very late hour. Yoona's mother had also recently started work at a bank in the middle of the city with her shift starting from when Yoona returns from school to late night at nine.

As she entered her house, the only thing she saw apart from all the furniture was her brother sitting with his guitar and notebook open in front of him. She inwardly smiled to herself knowing that during the time she was away, Kibum had been focusing on his songwriting. But she also couldn't help the fact that she slightly wished he could do more of what he loved and show it out to the world instead of only keeping it written down on sheets of paper.

"Oppa, I'm home," Yoona greeted her brother once she entered the living room.

Kibum stopped plucking his guitar strings and looked up to see his younger sister standing in the middle of the doorway with her school uniform still wrapped around her body. He looked out the window when he heard light tapping sounds againts the window and just then did he realize that it has been raining all this time. As he averted his gaze back towards his sister, Kibum pursed his lips at the sight of seeing the ends of her hair slightly wet

Kibum narrowed his eyebrows. "Why didn't you call me to pick you up?"

"I can go home myself. Besides, it's just a little rain."

"It's just a little rain," Kibum repeated after her sarcastially before earning an displeased look from the said girl.

"Even if I did call you, you probably wouldn't even hear your own ringtone seeing as to how you didn't even hear the heavy rain outside a few minutes ago... But anyway," she sighed, "forget it. I'm already home." Yoona her heels and went straight past the living room as she headed for the laundry room to grab a spare towel.

"The food's on the table!" Kibum yelled at just th
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter