Chapter 2: Crying Heart

My Single Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 Crying Heart

 

A first impression last, is it true? While some agrees to this, someone out there is trying to prove them wrong. A person may seem to look cold and snobbish, but they seem to have a warm heart that no one can ever understand. They throw their eagle eyes onto others, but behind those sharp glares, kindness and concerns are hiding. Because people often judge others based from their outer appearance, these kind, sympathetic and caring traits of theirs were never shown as they decided to keep it and hide it from the society. And because people around them started to label them cold and unapproachable, they started to live that way to somehow please the unfair world. “No one will understand us…”

 

“How’s her temper unnie? What should we do?” A trembling from fear secretary asked from a distance. From the entrance of a huge office room afraid to make a single step inside.

 

“Negative degrees Celsius.” The older woman sighed but bravely walks on the cold subject wearing red silk fitted dress and sitting as cold as an ice on the executive office chair facing the rectangular glass topped with documents, papers and computers.

 

The older woman signaled the scared secretary that she’ll handle the subject by herself. She closed the door and faces the freezing subject as she stands tall across the table. Everyone tends to get nervous once this subject reaches the negative coldness, adding up the wind from an air conditioner despite of the season.

 

“So, what’s up this time, Jessica? You’re freezing down the whole building again.”

 

“A guest in our hotel just said he’s not satisfied with his weekend stay in our suite room.” The cold subject known as Jessica replied with no tone on her voice at all, so straight that no one can tell what she’s thinking about her statement. Her body remained still on her position looking into a space at the ceiling full of bright white lights expressionless.

 

“Just because of that?” The lady exhaled in disbelief and rolled her eyes in disappointment. “Just because a single guest complained you’re getting all cold to everyone and to yourself? What are you, five?”

 

“Maybe…” Jessica still answered back. Then she stands up from her executive seat and walks around the other lady, “But hey Kwon Yuri, I can’t just ignore a single complaint. It may be just one, but this one complaint can spread all over the world until it becomes a rumor that will affect our hotels, and of course our name. So I have to be sensitive and attentive with all of it, right?”  

 

While waiting for Yuri’s response, Jessica opened her curtains revealing her glass window wall on her left side and let the direct rays of sun reflect through her office. She stretched her hands up and inhaled the cold air inside the room, like she just woke up from a long deep sleep. Then she walks straight to the set of black couch with small circular table at the middle placed near the door with a flat screen TV attached on the wall facing it, which is used by her whenever she meets up with a VIP inside her office. But most of the times she uses these couches to rest on, just like at the moment.  

 

“But you can’t handle all the complaints by yourself. You’re a president, you’re the CEO and you shouldn’t be bothering yourself with all these things. You have more important jobs to do and if you want to satisfy all your clients, every single customer and partners, start it by doing your job description precisely.” Yuri replied late after Jessica finished amusing herself at the couch.

 

Jessica let out a smirk on her lips and steps forward meter away from Yuri. “That’s why I have you as my vice-president to help me out with everything. And of course my best friend. But anyway, thank you for the advice. I’ll learn from that.” She said with a tease as she shoved her smooth hands on Yuri’s cheeks.

 

“You know I can kiss you without hesitations if you want.” Yuri said with a devilish grin on her face as a revenge on her best friend who is teasing her.

 

Jessica only set rolling her eyes in annoyance and went back to her seat. She pressed a button at the right side most of her table, a buzz that is connected directly to her secretary’s office which is connected to her office at the right side near the main door. In just a split second, her bubbly and short secretary who was scared as hell a while ago stepped out of her office and stands attentively across her.

 

“You don’t have to be formal, Luna. I already told you that before. Don’t make me repeat it.” Jessica hissed. “What’s my next schedule?” She then asked.

 

Luna opened her folder and states, “The investors from abroad canceled their appointment today due to fortuitous events, so you’re schedule for this day is free. We’ll reschedule some appointments until tonight.”

 

“Free, huh? That’s one in a million.” Jessica breathed and relaxes her exhausted mind and body. “I’ll be going to the hospital then. And tell the bodyguards that I’ll be out on my own, they can have their break until I return, also with my driver. I’m using my car.” Jessica immediately grabbed her shoulder bag and stormed out of her office.

 

“I can’t believe people are misjudging her.” Luna said when the door closed behind Jessica, leaving her with Yuri inside the office. “You guys are on top and live a prestigious life yet you want me to call you by first names and drop the formalities. It’s a bit awkward knowing that I’m just an appointment secretary yet I’m talking to you like you're just my older sister. How I wish people will see this side of her and stop with false judgments.” Luna replied in amazement towards her mistreated president.

 

“That’s unjust society for you. She doesn't like formalities but she's trying to live with it for business purposes. She may look cold, act cold and unapproachable but deep inside there’s a Jessica who wants to be understood and to be loved. Well, since she’s a public figure, she has no choice but to act in accordance on how the society sees her. She almost had everything… everything.” Yuri clenched her fists as she remembers some memories of everything.

 

Jessica Jung, a woman with everything, that’s how people see her. However, behind her professionalism that everyone normally sees, there's a story that the public never knew, a pain that has never been shown and the weakness that she hides. She may seem perfect at the outside but has a lot of flaws inside her. She ignores her tiredness as she professionally faces people, but she’s crying inside wanting to have some rest. And since she thinks that no one can ever understand her, she started living on their expectations. She completely imprisoned her true self from the eyes of the cruel public judgments.

 

“Oh, you’re here. That’s rare.”

 

“Sorry Soojung. There’s a change in my schedule.” Jessica replied to a younger version of her as she placed the fruits she bought at the table. “How’s dad?” She then asked.

 

“He was awake a while ago. He took some medicines that the doctor gave so he fell asleep. You came at the wrong time unnie. He’s worried about you working almost 24 hours every day. You should have talked to him.” Soojung said.

     

“Is that so?” Jessica sits beside her father’s hospital bed and caresses his hair back, making sure he’s sleeping soundly. “Don’t worry dad. I’m taking care of everything. You worry too much when you should be resting. It’s been three years since I’ve been managing our businesses, so you shouldn’t think of me anymore, I’m used to it already.”

 

The younger Jung sadly looks at her sister acting strong in front of their ill father. She knows her sister too much that she can see pain in her sharp eagle eyes. She knows her too well that she can see her pale tired skin behind her thick make-up and lipstick. Jessica cares too much that she didn’t want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter